“great week Nov 14-21”

Ranked #41 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
alberta
“great week Nov 14-21”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We arrived mid afternoon and our room was ready. We flew with Sunwing and received our resort bracelets as we boarded the airport transfer. This made for a fast check in at the hotel. The resort's architecture is adobe style which is nice at a Mexican resort. It seemed new and the grounds and gardens are beautifully maintained. This is a large resort. Quite a bit of walking which we enjoyed and needed after all the delicious meals! The well appointed rooms are in smaller buildings. There are several quiet pools with bars. The activity pools with bars are at the beach. We took the local buses to the marina at San Lucas and to San Jose. If you take cabs you might get a better price by walking to the end of the driveway and hiring your own. Be sure to settle on a price first.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank goneAlberta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Sunwings flew us down halloween night arivved at the resort and on the bus all the rooms were already figured out so no checking in which was great the vacation is on......had a drink had dinner at the buffet and then watched the halloween show at the theatre which was very well done .Next day looked over this beautiful resort saw the fab pools it was a party even early in the morningand continued for our 7 days . Room was very clean ,comfortable beds, fridge was full of beer ,liquor was hanging on the wall.the bartenders made any drink that we asked for and also made up more.smurf shooters are a must just beware the do not taste like alcohol. Had a great time ,if you want to party this is the place for you

Room Tip: building 7 is close to all the action ( pools ) just far from the main lobby and theatre and stores...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Valerie R
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Returned from a week at Riu Santa Fe ...

Food ... plenty of reviews here so no need for me to get into detail, but I will say that the buffet is great at breakfast and evenings. Plenty to choose from so not sure why anyone would complain, but then again, some people are alive just to complain and find fault with anything not theirs. A big thanks to Raul who took care of us evey morning and was there most nights.

Only tried three of the A-La-Carte restaurants:

Chinese ... this to me was the weakest of all ... to much fried and MSG high foods.
Italian ... good ... enjoyed it twice and found selection great
Mexican ... good as well ... basic Mexican food, but good quality

Resort ... Stayed in building 4 which I think was perfect ... s short walk to the main beach/pool area, but very quiet at night. There is no way I would have wanted to be in building 7 where apparently all the 24-hour beer drinkers and 12 hour swim-up bar parkers hang out. The pool there and ocean front is nice. Swimming in the ocean is too rough so you will need to go down the beach a few hundred yards to swim in the ocean.

The main pool is nice and there is lot's of action and activities going on. We spent most morning there and then retreated to the quieter pool for a quieter afternoon.

Town ... we went into town ($12 taxi from the hotel) ... bus is $1 but to be honest, I think the taxi is well worth it for convenience and AC comfort. The town has a ton of stores buyt be prepared to get hounded at every store front as each vendor wants to get you inside. It was a bit tiring to say the least. The upscale mall though is wroth going to. There you will find a number of upscale stores (Tiffany's, other jewellers, etc.) and a variety of gift shops much more pleasant to visit than the street vendor types outside.

Hint: There are many beach vendors who will sell anything and normally they will begin pricing items at twice what they are probably worth. Talk them down to at least 50% of what they want or walk away. The vendors in town are not much better in terms of prices. In fact we found a blanket in the upscale mall for less than anyone wanted to sell us the same blanket on the beach or in town.

Also, don't fall for the children running around trying to sell you crap on the street. Don't feel sorry for them ... they work with their mom and are selling other items ...

Great trip ... weather is amazing, sand is coarse, but clean.

Staff at RIU are amazing ... not one thing bad to say. The entire staff from front desk to waiters, to bar staff, to the room cleaning staff were great. Even when our toilet needed adjusting they sent someone right away.

Room Tip: Building 4 or 5 are central to everything and quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank DannyandL
Vegreville, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I read the reviews prior to booking this resort and I was a little worried... then I realized the things that people were complaining about were crazy...the towels were scratchy? The beds were hard? Wow. People writing these things must not travel much, if at all. Mosquitos?? (Have you people been to Alberta in the summer??) In general, this was a great resort, so clean, very beautiful, very large. Excellent service. Good Food. If people were getting things stolen out of their room they were obviously not locking them up. Don't bring your expensive items when you travel. Its not rocket science.

FOOD - The food was pretty good, breakfast is fabulous, wonderful variety at the bigger buffet restaurant by the lobby. The and other buffet meals were typical. The special booking restaurants were really good, although I only got to the Steak house and the Asian. Loved them both. Others there said the Mexican was really good as well. I didn't have any problems reserving later in the morning, but when we were there Nov 14-21 it was really not that busy.

WINE - horrible. undrinkable. (especially the red) I have never really had good wine at any resort in Mexico. I always bring my own, or buy some at the local Walmart, and bring it into the restaurant/room/bar and drink, no problem.

ROOMS - The beds were very firm at this resort, however, resorts usually have foam toppers available, as this one did, and the king size bed I had was fine. (I did see another room where they said it was a King bed, but had really pushed two twin beds together, with separate covers on each) So if you want a true King bed, not sure how a person would explain that you would prefer NOT to have two twins. The towels were not as soft as mine at home, but this is Mexico. I stayed in block 4 which was pretty much in between the lobby and the beach area, so it was a bit of a walk to the buffet, and a bit of a walk to the beach. This resort is really big, so anywhere you needed to get to was a bit of a walk. Block 7 would have been a bit more convenient if a person just laid around the busy pool all the time. The busy activities pool was by block 7 and the quieter pool was farther back towards the lobby. The only block with elevators is 7, so you have to haul your suitcases upstairs if you are on an upper floor, which is rather inconvenient. Just ask for something on the bottom floor.

POOLS - This place had 4 pools, I think maybe even 5, They were really really nice. Always plenty of chairs, although like I had mentioned, it seemed to be not that busy when we were there.

BARS - lots of bars to choose from, two pool bars, (swim up) 2 or 3 bars in the central courtyard where the nightly entertainment was, and a sports bar that is open 24hr, which is pretty good, as it usually was easier to get a drink there as it wasn't as crowded. I found the drinks very strong, and it took me awhile to find a drink I liked. They did have a menu though at the bars which was quite helpful as sometime you just don't know what you like until you try it. At the sports bar they had champagne which I was rather thrilled about!! I'm not sure if they had it anywhere else, I didn't ask. I always tipped and always got good service. The bartenders are really overworked there, they could have used extra people all the time behind the bars.

STAFF - staff was excellent, they work so hard day and night for us. I didn't need any small change, as that's usually what I bring when I go to Mexico, but I did hear they will not exchange money there for you. (Most resorts do, so not sure why this one wouldn't)

ENTERTAINMENT - The entertainment wasn't all that great, but to be honest I don't really go for the entertainment. I have seen better at way smaller resorts I must say. They did seem to have a good kids program every evening around 8 for the little tykes. We booked one adventure called Baja Buggy's... Let me tell ya, the pictures they show you of this adventure are nothing like the real thing. The buggy's were so run down and trashed. It was rather funny actually, but hey, this is Mexico. I thought at $129.00 per person we would get something that was a wee bit newer...but it was pretty fun, we went through what appeared to be some sort of gravel pit area, back and forth several times then out to the beach where we stopped for a bit and saw some whales. They say you don't need water, as they will supply that, but they only offered one very tiny bottle, so I am glad that I brought my own. (There is no where to go to the bathroom for the 4 hours that you are out in the buggy, FYI). No snacks or food either. We left the resort at 11:45 and were back by 4:00...the guy stopped for beer on the way home which was good. It was fun but overpriced for what we did, I thought. We also went to the Marina and rented a water taxi to take us out to Lovers Beach, which was really good. Very cheap and cool to see. Lots of Sea Lions out there and the water taxi had a glass bottom so you could see the different fish. It's a must do.

LOCATION - It was a great location - About a half hour scenic bus ride from the airport in San Jose, about a 30-45 minute walk down the beach to the Marina, where there are a lot of shops (a mall) and lots of restaurants. A huge sea lion named Poncho hangs out at the Marina waiting for fish morsels. We saw a lot of fish coming in, people were catching mahi-mahi and Marlin. The beach sand is really quite rough, and of course you should not go in the water there... the undertow is incredibly strong. Red flags are always up. But the water there is beautiful, nicer than PV for sure. Almost right across from the resort is a Walmart and a Costco. You can take a bus there for a dollar. Kinda tricky getting across to the bus stop as you have to cross a couple lanes of very busy highway...

All in All, I have stayed at Riu's before and they are a good hotel. Do some research before you go as to the layout of the resort, and choose a good room location for yourself. I love reading the reviews to get tips on things, it is very helpful. You are in Mexico, not Cayman Islands, so yes, there will be little things that are not quite like home. But it is a very safe place, and a very beautiful resort all in all. I would go back, but I always like to try different resorts so I would probably try another one just for fun. If you choose a resort in San Jose closer to the airport there is not much action there, (although there are lots of golf courses). This area by Cabo was really nice, lots of bars and restaurants by the marina, good massages downtown, that sort of thing. It was my first trip to Cabo, I always seem to go to PV or the Mayan, but from Edmonton we were there in under 4 hours which is a real bonus!!

Room Tip: Block 7 is very close to the beach bars and the main pool, and has elevators. I stayed in block 4, w...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank ironpro
Salem, OR
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I just returned from a week at the RIU. This is a second visit. Staff was wonderful! Big shout out to Rosenberg and Raul at the breakfast buffet. I have one complaint-there is nowhere on site to get any kind of change. I ran out of smaller bills for tips and all I had were twenties with no way to change them. I was in Building 2 which was closer to the second pool, not the infinity pool, and it was much quieter and more relaxed.

Room Tip: Building 7 is quite close to the infinity pool which is nice, but it also quite noisy.
Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank rosemaryu
Blaine, Washington
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is a spectacular resort for so many reasons. We went during the week of October 20-28, 2013 (just a month ago) and we went a year ago during this same time period. We like to travel to different destinations but there is so much to do and if you want a variety of things to do and an affordable vacation so you can vacation throughout the year, this fits our pocketbook. A year ago we went during this same time period and my husband (we are both 54) and our daughter came (age 24) with us. She had the time of her life last year and came with us again this year. She brought her boyfriend (age 26) along; and my husband's brother and my sister-in-law (Age 62) came too to experience the fun of Cabo! The more the merrier this time.

Where Do I Start? Sorry If I Ramble:

I will be writing a long review to share with others our highlights. I wrote a review a year ago too and all I have to say is we have such a fun time here and we will be back again next year too. We think Building 7 is the best because it is by the pool, beach, and the awesome sunrises and sunsets. I am a walker and love to get up early (many are still sleeping except for other walkers or those that love to rise early because their body time clocks can not change, even on vacation; except for my other family members that liked to sleep in a little) to get 1-2 hours of walking in around the beautiful resort and sandy beaches so I could enjoy eating wonderful meals and know again I would not gain but one pound like last year, even with drinking margaritas and other fruity drinks at the pool throughout the day too and their awesome nachos and with sinfully hot melted cheese.

Resort Staff:

I want to praise the entire staff at the Rui that go out of their way to do their best with smiles on their faces. First, our margaritas were waiting the minute we got to the hotel lobby and we were thirsty as it was 90 degrees when we arrived. Our transportation driver also stopped willingly at Walmart so we could buy another suitcase because it broke on the trip and we wanted to get one before checking in so we didn't have to bother with it during or before we left on the trip. We appreciated this because we had scuba diving gear in this and needed a hardback suitcase and Walmart had one! He patiently waited for 30 minutes for us to do this.

Our rooms were all in building 7 and two of us paid the price for them and the other two family members scored through my assistance and this saved my daughter and her boyfriend from paying our price! A little tipping goes a long way and we all ended up close to each other. One thing last year (same time period as last year, we saw black moths all around the building and this year there were none-go figure) we had a beautiful room too, just like this year and the rooms were cleaned daily and the maid service is always cleaning, moping the floors, and dusting daily, but they work so hard all decked out in their maid dresses too.

We tipped the maid daily. On my morning walks I tipped the landscapers and the pool attendants because they work hard and actually clean the pool tiles, scrub and clean the cement around the pool, wash anything to make it shine and for those of you that don't get up early you would be amazed to see the staff working around the resort and pools to make it look top notch everyday! I also tipped the maid that kept the bathrooms by the pool clean throughout the day. I was amazed and she cried and hugged me when I gave her $5, but she works so hard and she said she loved her job cleaning the bathroom! I told her I had noticed her for a few days and she took such pride in her job. Please tip the pool bathroom maid because she loves to clean the bathroom spotless in between all of us ladies using the bathroom, coming in and out of the pool area.

The Baja Buffet always had the best food, better than the restaurants that you have to have reservations at. We loved our servers there, especially Avelina and we loved her last year too! She goes out of her way each meal for all customers. Their staff are exceptional, friendly, and they know what service is all about. I wish I could remember more names, but their faces are all in my mind. Also, since I get up early getting a reservation was never a problem. We liked the Steak House and the Asian, but that was it. We ate most lunches near the pool and the food was always good and plentiful and a great variety. As far as drinks, they may have been watered down but remember this is not costing you $15 at the pool for drinks like in Las Vegas, so drinking as many as you want, when you want for staying here is affordable. Try a new drink like the Dirty Monkey as it was good or stay with Tequila Sunrises, or my ultimate favorite was a Mango or Strawberry Banana Mixed Special!

Best Food Tips:

Ok, everyone has their favorites and our family had their individual favorites, but we all were addicted to that crispy sugary fried dessert-still not sure of the name and we shared plate fulls of these. I loved the mussels, spinach, and all the different fish dishes. The fruits and melons were plentiful and there was always something to please everyone, even my daughter who eats gluten free and is very careful most of the time of what she eats. The desserts were plentiful and beautiful, but their spinach was so tasty, that this was better than any dessert to me. The Steakhouse was pretty good and at the Asian order the Shrimp as a dinner entrée or two as this is the best item they have here. We learned from other guests last year and shared this secret.

Ok, I have to be honest here.......about coffee. I live in Blaine, WA. and in Bellingham, WA. Starbucks are all over the place, just like in Seattle so there is no comparison to my high standards of coffee, so for those like me that are spoiled, bring your instant packets from Starbucks and use their hot water to mix a good cup of coffee and you will be much happier. For those that need an early lift and forget to bring their good coffee from home, go downstairs in Bldg. 7 early in the am and there is coffee and hot water in the lobby area. Be aware that this coffee though is better than no coffee if you are a coffee addict like me. If you however, want a hard drink anytime of the day........not me except at the pool, but for some folks on vacation the rooms are stocked with your drinks like a bar for your pleasure in your room too. They also have water bottles too, pop, etc. If you run out of water the desk downstairs in Bldg 7 also has extra water bottles too. Do not drink the tap water. Use bottled water at all times.

Entertainment:

Gosh, what can I say here? The Entertainment team does an awesome job getting everyone off their lounge chairs to enjoy some type of pool entertainment. I loved water aerobics last year and loved it again this year. I missed one day only. Each day is different and an hour goes by fasrt when you are having fun. Even my husband and the rest of our group loved water aerobics and got a good work out; plus they had lots of fun and laughter. There is something all day for everyone from water polo, volleyball, salsa lessons, you name it. Even contests you wouldn't think you yourself could win! Sure they try to get everyone involved, but once you meet people and have fun it is worth it or you can enjoy just doing nothing and reading a book too. The crew is fun, always smiling, and trying to make sure everyone has a good time daily. They work hard, morning, noon, and night through the evening making sure that the guests have a good time. Tip them too! We also went to the Entertainment at night and while it starts at 9:00pm, we got a second wind of energy with the entertainers and the fun crowds. I think we missed only one night. Even though the shows were similar to last year, we still had a good time. Our group each got special awards of some sort throughout the day, so we got to get our awards in the evening, and Bob my daughter's boyfriend was part of the Macho Men Night Show winning a spot and the top Number #1 Macho Dancer of Cabo one night. What a fun video this was to go back and watch a few times! This was his first time to Cabo and he loved this trip! He still talks about how this trip was the best vacation he has been on.

Pools and Beach Area:

What can I say, Building 7 is close to the pool and the views of the Arch and the Cruise ship, boats, and much more are worth staying here. Yes, it was somewhat loud at times, but not all the time and with the music we could tune this out if we wanted too. There is also the other quiet pool to go to, which my daughter and son visited just to see what it was like, but we like activity. Plus, the beach adds so much too. I like walking and so to get up and stroll the beach within steps from the pool is great. Don't mind the vendors on the beach, as they are just trying to make a living and we all bought something from them and I did last year too. You can certainly dicker with them quite a bit. So now, for the beach and water and listen up here. There are life guards and I would say when the waves are coming in fast and furious, don't go past your knees as the waves can knock you down. But, on the other hand my daughter, her boyfriend loved this and would be out there swimming having a blast, so was my husband and his brother. They are all good swimmers and were not fearful except myself and my sister-in-law as we are excellent at floating, but not strong swimmers. We were great spectators watching our other family members swimming and taking their life into their own hands and risk. They did this because they loved it and they would be out there for 30-40 minutes at a stretch, but for the average person, this is not advised. We did see some people struggle to get up and get it. If you want a better experience with less stress and waves, walk 15 minutes toward the Marina and it is much better to go swimming. I will say this though, the water is SO WARM and it was 80-90 daily and the low was 65 in the morning when I walked at 6:30 am and the evening temps were never lower than 65 either. As for clothes, bring swim suits, shorts, tank tops, a beach cover up, a few nice sun dresses, and leave your coats and pants at home. Do bring sunscreen and lots of it. If you have to buy it at the resort or in town a small bottle will cost you $20-$25. No one got burned in our group, but we did see some serious sunburns. This is no fun on vacation, so beware you want a good time. As for little kids, protect them. We saw lots of little kids with fun water toys and air floaties and I would say these are a must for small children to pack and bring. You do not need towels as you will get a towel card to get a towel each day.

Also, from the beach you can walk (it is hard in the sand-but if you want a good workout and want to sweat) 35-45 minutes depending on how fast you walk to the Marina or take a cab for $12.

Oh yes, as for the pool since it was not very crowded when we were there 50% only fill rate I would say. There was always lounge chairs and lots of room in the pools, no problem here. But, I love my certain pool seats by the pool and overlooking to the beach that I would set out our groups towels early at 6:30-7:00am while the pool cleaners were cleaning to get my favorite spots (others do this too and some of you reading this won't like this) because hey I want an enjoyable day all day long close to the pool to jump in and close to watch what is going on at the beach too!

Marina and Other Things We Did:

Everyone has their hobbies when taking to other guests and some like fishing, some like snorkeling, some like tourist attractions, and there is lots to do outside of the resort if you want something else to do while on vacation. I am happy with the resort and the marina activities and when on vacation a week goes fast, so I don't like a lot of activities that take driving time for example, but my other family members minus except my sister-in-law and myself went Scuba Diving for two 1/2 days. This was a repeat of last year too, so Manta Scuba Diving out did themselves again and Bob my daughter's boyfriend has now mastered a new hobby of scuba diving. They all had a blast and my husband is putting the videos together soon if anyone would like to see them on You-Tube. If you want a great time contact Manta Scuba Diving for any scuba trips. They have an awesome staff. We just took a taxi for $12 for all of us each way so this was affordable. Also, when they were scuba diving for a 1/2 day I went walking and shopping at the Marina and it was totally safe. Plus, there is now a STARBUCKS at the Marina and be prepared if you want to walk toward the left maybe only 1-2 minutes and their is a restaurant with outdoor seating (wish I remembered the name of it) that had a lunch menu with lobster that was out of this world for $15 for the best and biggerst lobster I have had! Just know at the Marina there are lots of vendors trying to make a living and they are all very friendly, but it is very safe and was last year too. Wear comfortable walking shoes since there is a lot of walking and it is hot so light clothing too.

My daughter and I shopped at the International Market Place and found some good deals. Very cute shirts for my grandsons that were less than $5 each with bartering. Plus, I got my nails done for $12 right near the Manta Scuba Diving location (the only nail salon I think at the Marina) and she did an awesome job. Now if there was a cruise ship in that day, she said I would not have gotten an appointment. Also, right across the Manta Scuba shop there is a nice boutique that I went to last year too and found some VERY affordable scarfs and accessories for $5 and $10 that I could not pass up again. It is a small shop with lots in it and I remembered it from last year. If you go to the mall at the end of the Marina, trust me everything is very expensive. I walked the mall to cool off, use the bathroom, and people watch too because of the diverse tourists; and there were some musical activities going on.

Plus, it was the big million dollar fishing event in Cabo for you sport fisherman so there were vendors lined up selling everything for sport fishing to dog vests for your pets at sea! Again, if you want to take a bus tour to San Jose, you can book this from the Marina or from the Rui too in the lobby. Remember, the cost can range differently depending where you book it, so be cautious.

Other events in Cabo or the Rui are plentiful. In fact, many weddings happen at the Rui and we saw three weddings right from the poolside or you can watch from the beach. This is certainly a great place to get married as the photos are an awesome backdrop with the views and this is a great destination wedding location for anyone. In fact, just last week a photographer I know from Seattle (Amanda Lloyd Photography) was in Cabo and stayed at the Rui for a wedding. What a lucky photographer and job she has! But, then again, if you want a destination photographer - she is awesome and took the most amazing overall wedding photos of my friend Peggy's daughter's wedding of Ashley and Stephen's wedding in Anacoretes, WA. Look her up if you want to see some amazing photos and of course you can't miss the Rui photo too!

Sunrises and Sunsets:

My best advice is try getting up early and you will be able to see and take awesome photos! It is romantic and amazing to see the beach light up. The weather was so perfect when we were there. We did hear though that it rained the week before for two days, but this happened last year too so know that you could go to the Sports Bar if it rained. Stay away from planning on computer access or phone calls as this is "hit and miss and can be very expensive" that's all I can say about his. Plus, you are on vacation and can wait until you get home to connect with friends again. Just know, you can add expenses to your bill very fast without realizing it.

Safety:

Common sense speaks for itself here. Use the safe and you should be fine. Whenever we travel we don't leave valuables out. I will say one thing that I was disappointed about was that someone took my insulated metal Starbucks thermos cup from the pool that I kept my drinks cold in and in the morning my coffee hot in. I have had this special thermos mug for over two years, so whoever has it, I still miss it! Also, keep your doors in the room locked and make sure your door shuts all the way. Keep cell phones out of reach and our of sight. At the pool, people watch out for each other, but again don't bring valuables to the pool, remember this is all inclusive, so the only money you need is for tips for the dedicated staff. Bring $1 bills and a few $5's and some money for the vendors on the beach if you want to buy something, but that is about it. If you want to take photos, just make sure someone is watching your camera or cell phone. I also bring a plastic bag to cover my cell phone so it does not get wet. I saw others did this too. I also saw on this trip three different men loose their cell phones due to them forgetting about it and getting in the pool and the ocean with their cell phones in their pockets. In the morning, I also got to see what the pool workers bring up in their nets such as jewelry, earrings, etc. But if you want to know where lost and found is, it is at the hotel lobby and they have everything from clothing, to shoes, kids toys, and jewelry. If you loose something, I hope you find it. I did not get my Starbucks mug back, but tried.

Overall Summary- You Will Have the Time of Your Life- Stay a Week:

We Love Cabo! We Love the Riu Hotel and Staff! We Will Be Back Next October and We Know We Will Be Bringing More Family Members and Friends That Will Be Joining Us Next Year and Why?:

Because they don't want to see photos or hear about our trip anymore, they want to experience it first hand because we come back relaxed, excited, and so happy, and satisfied overall with our trip at the Riu. Plus, it is affordable and we take 4-5 vacations a year because I know how to get good deals, save money, and still have the best rooms in the hotel and great flights! My best advice is book early, stay a week, and watch airfares carefully, and then do what ever you can to know the best tips traveling anywhere you go by learning from others. This is what I do! I do want to stress that the Riu does their best to make it a pleasant stay and while they can not please everyone, know one thing and that is they go out of their way to try to make sure their staff has a good time too help their guests with whatever they need. Talk to them, they love their jobs and take pride in helping you. I will say we still missed Jenny and the entertainment crew from last year, but the new crew at the Rui is making us want to come back again.

As for families, they try their best to include kids in the games, and there are lots of families, work groups, honeymooners, etc. so please know we loved meeting so many people and talking to them and learning from them too; and until next year we can't wait to see the staff again! You remembered us and we remembered you. You know who we are to our favorite wait staff! Ryan, Kathy, Krystal, Bob, Art, and Nemia

Room Tip: Building 7 Ocean View is a Must as the View is Breathtaking to see the Ocean and Pool; plus the walk...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
18 Thank Kathy B
the great white north
Reviewed 22 November 2013 via mobile

Our stay at the RIU Sante Fe was marred by the unfortunate charge of 945 pesos to our bill for a friend who entered the property to pick us up. He was not informed of any charge, but simply allowed to enter after leaving his driver's license with the guard. We were told during check out that this charge was for a 'day pass'. If nobody was told of this charge, and he was on the property for 30 minutes, why are we being charged for a $80 U.S. day pass??? The agent at the front desk apologized for any misunderstanding. Aware that English is not his first language, I was happy to inform him that there is a big difference between a misunderstanding, and incompetence. This left us with an ugly taste in our mouths. We were willing to overlook the 'upgrade' charge for an ocean view room. Yes, we could see the ocean if we leaned out over our balcony. But this was not what we had in mind when we decided to spoil ourselves with an upgrade. Our view looked out over a vacant lot full of garbage and weeds! Welcome to Mexico! We won't be staying at any RIU resort ever again. This could have been avoided by simply taking off an $80 dollar charge that was unnecessary in the first place. There are times when a guests' perception is more valuable to a company this size, than an $80 gouge!!!

• Stayed November 2013
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,384 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,250 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,078 reviews
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,648 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!