“Enjoyed it!”

Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Edmonton
“Enjoyed it!”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Spent a week and was exactly as we expected for a RIU resort. The room was to a very good standard, clean, had a drink dispenser & mini bar with beer/soft drinks/water and safe, not much more we could have ask for. The previous RIU resort we stayed in was ocean view but this is only available in the 7000 building which is the more party sort of atmosphere. The remaining buildings rooms are garden or pool view only. We found the food very good for an all inclusive and of course the drinks were great as well. We walked the road out of the resort to catch a public bus into Los Cabos, very easy to do. Very enjoyable week!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank The_Travel_G0ddess

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,314)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 18 December 2013

So my husband and I came here on our "Mini-moon" last month Nov.4 after our wedding. This place is WONDERFUL!!! The ppl were so polite and the drinks were always flowing (even though were not big drinkers). Even in the room there was a full minibar! And what we loved the most that it was all included. Now compared to other reviews, many complained about the bed being too hard. However, both my husband and I are 6'0 and up so the bed was perfect for our backs and we both slept like babies. The floors are tile, but its a good thing b/c we were rarely in the room and when we were, it was usually to take a shower and dry off from being in the pool and ocean all day so the tile flooring is perfect, otherwise I can assure you the risk of mold would be high from the wet flooring. But I would imagine ppl would dry off before entering their rooms anyway. There is the Riu Palace next door and with a stay there, you are able to go to both resorts, however, there is so much to do at Santa fe that we had no desire to want to go next door. As far as cleanliness, there was NEVER a time when you don't see the
cleaning staff. They were so efficient with keeping up the property .

The Beach:
Very nice. Great view of the rock formations and you can take a glass bottom boat and snorkel tour from the beach to the Arch (a famous landmark). They're many venders on the beach to sell things but they are very courteous in minding their space and your time. Just say no politely and walk away if not interested. They will be kind. Also, the reason why I gave only 4 stars instead of 5 is b/c I read in the review prior to arriving that all non-motorized water sports were included such as kayaking, windsufing, etc....Not true. We were told that its only about a 15 minute preview but then you have to pay. Didn't like that especially since it was one of the major reasons for wanting to go. My husband and I are from the Caribbean and LOVE the water so we both wanted to try different sports that we haven't before.

Now on to the Food:
BREAKFAST: The best part. So many Spanish variations as well as the traditional items. And it was so good!! The wait staff was VERY friendly. Made sure that if we were completely satisfied.

Lunch/Dinner: Still good. Other reviews complain about the food being bland but what ppl need to understand that when a resort is cooking for a wide and large group of ppl, there has to be a standard. If others want it more spicy or salty, that is nothing that a little salt, pepper, sugar, or hot sauce can't fix at your dining table. And believe me, I am a foody and so is my husband, and we enjoyed every minute of the meals.

The pools were a lot of fun, especially the activity pool. There were many daily contests and we participated in a few and actually won 2nd place in the underwater swim. The staff does a great job interacting with all the guests. There is also a swim up bar next to the activity pool.

As far as romance, since it was our mini-moon, this place is nice. All of the rooms have an outside balcony with 2 chairs and a table with a light. Both day and night are pretty quite unless you go into the common are where all the action is. But our room was towards the back and we loved it. So all in all, it was a wonderful trip and we will definitely be back. Oh, and by the way, the price for the entire stay , 4 days, was Great!!! Very affordable. And an extra bonus, when we entered our room there was a bottle of champagne and 2 flutes for our mini-moon. Nice! Thanks Riu Santa Fe for a great and memorable stay.

Room Tip: For couples, rooms towards the back are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Savvygal15
Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 December 2013

While I realize this is a resort review, not a trip review, I did want to start out by saying this: We are frequent travelers to Cancun and the Playa del Carmen area and were very impressed with Cabo. From the stress free arrival at the small airport, to the polite and professional timeshare/vendors (yes, I did say polite), and to the surroundings in general – all I can say is wow.

This was our first stay in Cabo, but our fourth stay at a Riu property. We do prefer the Riu Palace properties, but this resort seemed to be a good fit for the group we were travelling with. I will be honest by saying I did go in with low expectations. There were some poor reviews, specifically concerning the food and room theft. It’s good to go in with low expectations, because this resort completely exceeded them for me!

I’ve heard the resort is large and spread out. It wasn’t that bad at all. We were placed in Bldg 4, so we had a 5 minute walk at best to the lobby area, and a few minute walk to the mail pool/beach area. We were told the resort was about 40% full, so getting chairs anywhere was not a problem whatsoever. There seemed to be empty chairs everywhere! I would hate to see the hotel at 100% full, tho.

Room was typical of the other Riu’s we have been to. We had a normal King size bed, while our friends two rooms down had the two full beds pushed together. Is it really a big deal? We’ve had the pushed together beds once before, and we survived. Room has an electronic safe, but an old fashioned key to get in to the room. Plenty of closet space (lots of hangers) and drawer storage. Bathroom is plenty big, but bathtub (typical of all Riu’s I’ve been to) is very high making it hard to get in to, and slanted edges making it slippery and a bit dangerous. Just be careful. They do supply a combo shampoo/body gel in a dispenser in the shower. This worked just fine for me, but if you are picky about your shampoo, bring your own. Bar soap is also supplied in the room. They have tiny bottles of conditioner, but I had no need to use it, except in place of lotion which they did not offer. Bottled water is supplied in the frig, along with other beverages that I cannot even tell you what they were. We aren’t room drinkers, just liked the bottled water as the water out of the sink is non potable – however, we did use it for brushing our teeth and had no problems. I like to think that after 40+ trips to Mexico in the last 9 years, our stomachs have somehow acclimated.

Food was excellent. We have always been impressed with the buffet food at the Riu’s. I know it can be subjective, of course, but it’s such a huge buffet (almost overwhelming) that I don’t understand how people can complain. I also felt it was of good quality. I had a hard time controlling myself! Ok, I will admit the deserts were completely poor (downright awful) but the ice cream did make up for it. We generally chose the lunch buffet in Bldg 7 and it didn’t disappoint either. We did try the lunch over by the quiet pool one day, and it DID disappoint. No ice, and there were a lot of empty food bins for some reason. Service in all the buffets was very good. We were always greeted with a friendly and professional attitude. Our drinks never went empty, unless we wanted them to. The wait staff definitely exceeded the 4 star perception I had of this resort.

We spent most of our time at the “party” swim up bar (there are two over by Bldg 7). It was a bit more lively as they played music all day. Bar service was very good. We didn’t care for the alcohol selection at the resort. It was bottom shelf at best. However, it didn’t stop anyone from drinking it, and have to admit it never bothered me the next day (except for severe heartburn). I had my share of mojitos and shots, but by later in the week decided to purchase my own bottle of Malibu. The bartenders had no problem keeping it behind the bar for me to make my drinks. We also enjoyed our time at the lobby bars, and even some very late night drinks and snacks at the sports bar. Be aware that the “snacks” are not much of anything (albeit 24/7). They have leftover hamburgers and hotdogs to warm up in a microwave, along with some fruit and salads. Don’t get me wrong, they taste very good late at night after a few drinks!
The resort is about a 10 minute taxi ride to downtown. We ventured in town a few times and I highly recommend it. Taxi in to town was $12 min for two of us, or $3 per person as we sometimes had five of us. Taxis were all very clean and modern, usually nice fans or Suburbans.

Service all around was very good from the front desk, maid service, to the wait staff. They all seemed very happy to be working here and it showed. We did feel uncomfortable at one point when exchanging large peso bills for smaller bills (for tipping) and the desk clerk jokingly (or not?) asked for a tip. We simply laughed it off. In fact, speaking of tips, we never once felt (except for this one time) like we had to tip for any service. Staff was very appreciative when we did, however. We did notice not a lot of people seemed to be tipping, but I do feel that is a personal choice and certainly not a requirement.

If we had anything at all to “complain” about at this resort, it would be the low quality of alcohol and the really flat pillows. One other area of concern was the cleanliness of the one swim up bar. There was a lot of “stuff” growing on the pool barstools and tables. As the week went on, you would see a lot of it work loose and float in the pool. Many pool tiles also were missing, and I worried about people cutting their feet.

All in all, we would certainly recommend this resort to just about anyone. It would make those wanting to “party” a bit happy, but certainly plenty of very large, beautiful pools that were made for quiet and relaxing. We probably would not return only because we discovered downtown and all it has to offer – next time we would do EP and stay closer to downtown and the marina.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank ZsaZsa
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Can't say enough good things about this place! The hotel itself is beautiful and very well kept. The infinity pool was awesome! The staff were friendly and accommodating and we especially loved the entertainment staff. They always made sure people were having a good time.

The food was very good and the rooms were very clean and comfortable. Contrary to other reviews we had no problem getting a dinner reservation or finding a chair at the pool.

Overall, a beautiful hotel with great staff, good food and comfortable rooms.

PS-Do the whale watching tour if you have time. It was awesome!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lea W
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Overall we were very happy with our stay at Riu Santa Fe. Here is the breakdown:

Good:

- The grounds were amazing.
- Beach is beautiful (who said you can't swim? YES YOU CAN!
- View was awesome from Beachfront room (get this, not gardenview!)
- Food was good (the buffets were better than the 'specialty' restaurants
- The bartenders were good

Not so Good:

- The 'Specialty' restaurants had slow service and weren't worth the trouble of reservations
- I could happily do without the DJ at the pool. The games are not of interest to us but maybe some people like them
- The drinks are interesting. We coined a new term called 'Vodquila' since the vodka tastes or tequila and the opposite also
- Poor communication from the reservation lady in Building 7
- The shows at night were, uh, not great

Notes:

- Get Sea view or beachfront in Building 7. It's worth it and also IF YOU NEED AN ELEVATOR, Building 7 is the only one with elevators
- The Dolphin Trainer experience at Cabo Adventures was awesome for our 12 yr old
- Sunset cruise was great
- Thanksgiving week was packed full of Canadians and 20-somethings (they all act the same) so keep that in mind

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank williamj38
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed at this resort the first week of January. I echo some of the recent comments:

-dinner reservations - we could never get any - always fully booked

-very noisy and difficult to sleep

-the beach was a constant barrage of sellers - selling everything from jewellery to hard drugs

-there is no shade on the beach at this resort

-the hotel is feared towards party folks

-if you wanted a chair by the pool - forget it - people were "saving" chairs the night before

-the palace next door seems better for a beach front

-very close to town - we walked to town and had the best meal of the whole week at Sammy Hagars bar

-very cool and worth the visit

-wifi only available in the lobby and limit to 15 minutes per day - this is 2013 - should be just a given!

-I could not eat the food by the 4th day - it all tasted the same! That's what they say about Cuba I thought?

-I will not return to the Rui and in fact I will not be returning to Mexico

This resort is for spring break party type vacations - if this is what you are looking for then this place is awesome for that!

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank LoriJean63
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This gorgeous, all-inclusive resort is right on the beach. Clean, clean, clean, always people cleaning and managing this property, and were happy and very friendly.The pools were wonderful, activities were fun, drinks and food were excellent! Walking in to our room in block 2 (quieter area of the resort) we noticed the bar with bottles hanging upside down, perched ready to give you your first shot of tequila, or any of the other 3 kinds of alcohols behind the glass case. Stocked fridge, wonderful veranda, plenty of closet and drawers for whatever clothes you brought with you. However, if you go to this resort, you never have to leave, everything is right there, except for the excursions. The concierge will help you with anything you feel you'd like to do in town, and also will tell you how to find transportation. However, they have nightly live entertainment, which was a blast. We saw a Michael Jackson impersonator, Grease, and Mamma Mia musicals, but they had many others we didn't attend.
A few tips we learned the hard way:
1. Don't rent a car. ASTRONOMICAL Mexican insurance charges per day, and you don't need a car. We returned ours.
2. Don't change your cash into pesos, you'll lose money. Use US dollars anywhere, and be sure you get change back in US dollars as well.
3. Don't over pack; you just need 2-3 bathing suits, cover-ups, hat, sandals, sunscreen, a couple pairs of shorts/shirts and a light sweater. Done.

We're already scheduling our next trip there in February!! See you there!

Room Tip: Anywhere but Block 7 if you want quiet. Building 7 is gorgeous, has ocean views, right on the 'p...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#32 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!