“Last minute getaway”

Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Toronto, Canada
“Last minute getaway”
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We needed a last minute getaway, and found a good deal for the Riu Sante Fe. Very different feeling resort depending in what pool you went to; the relaxing quiet pool and the party pool by building 7. Had a great week and thought the resort had the best breakfast buffet we had ever seen!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Keenan1101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Chula vista
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Where do I start? Oh yeah as soon as we arrived they had drinks waiting for us! Check in was really easy. They took our
Bags straight to the room per our request. The front desk advised us to book our reservations at the restaurants which was really helpful. The buffet food was way above average. All the variations of food was great. They had a taco cart from 5pm-10pm everyday that we were there.The premises are super clean and you see the maids cleaning throughout the day. Transportation vehicles must be checked in and guests staying at the hotel must have a wristband. Only downside was that we didn't stay longer. We have decided to make this our yearly vacay spot. Thanks to all the staff at RIU! You guys were awesome!!

• Stayed July 2014
5 Thank Hpalacios89
MO
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My review is delayed. We were there in January 2014 and are getting ready to book our winter holiday. The resort is huge and it feels like its own little town.We loved that! We left the resort only a few times. Once to go shopping for about an hour. Another time for an excursion. 2 more times to go downtown to have dinner and 2 FANTASTIC restaurants; Edith's and Los Tres Gallos. Both are outstanding!

Check-in was a breeze. The resort is huge so expect to walk a lot. But exercise is good right? We were in building 7 on the beach. That is right by the main pool. I would for sure say this is party pool. There is another on at the resort in the middle that was a bit more tame.

The service was great, rooms cleaned and fridges stocked each day. I never has a long wait at the bar for a beer or drink. We were always able to get a reservation at each restaurant. They were all good. But expect a bit of a wait. We are in a different country and they do not live the fast paced crazy life most people do. All the buffets were really good. Cleaning constantly in the restaurant and on property.

The internet was frustrating and we ONLY needed it to use wi-fi to call back home to check on our daughter. Otherwise...you are on vacation. Give technology a rest. You will survive. I would for sure go back!

My 4 is for the beds. They are not the greatest. They have a plastic over the mattress and "crunches" when you roll over, so a bit annoying. Loud heavy doors but I always slept with a sound app on my phone so that seemed to help.
Great value and the location is great. Walk down the beach a ways toward Los Arcos and their are restaurants, massage, etc...

Room Tip: Building 7 and anywhere else an upper floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank jencot
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Please go somewhere else! I booked 2 rooms on 1 reservation through travelocity. When I arrived at the hotel I learned that there had been a mistake with my reservation. Travelocity had only confirmed 1 hotel room with them. Instead of providing me help, the hotel manager and front desk made me wait in the lobby a total of 4 hours. They basically said they couldn't do anything for me, that it was travelocity's mistake, and they cannot hold my luggage or give me a temporary rooms or wristbands so that I can enjoy my vacation while the error was fixed. They refused to call customer service for me. They made me use their house phone to call customer service and CHARGED ME $300 for the call!! I asked to speak with manager after manager. The front desk manager, Daniel, refused to refer me to their corporate office. He basically implied he was the "big boss." After 4 hours of frustration, I basically gave in, paid an additional $600 for 2 wristbands, and decided to enjoy what was left of my vacation and deal with travelocity later. DO NOT STAY HERE! POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE, UGLY and DIRTY ROOMS, cheap well drinks!! THERES BETTER VALUE ELSEWHERE!

7 Thank jvo532
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 July 2014

just arrived back home this evening from riu santa fe! 8 solid days! requested to be in the "party building 7" and they made it happen for us!

FOOD- okay people seriously get real, i read all reviews and you say you arent picky about food and you rated food like 1 star? seriously? then sorry but you ARE picky!!! morning buffets are GREAT, large selection, tasty, great coffee (definitely needed after a hangover) and lunch and dinner are just as yummy.

A LA CARTE- FAVOURITE WAS THE ASIAN!!! HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT. literally the asian and the italian a la carte is you pick your main course and dessert through the friendly servers, and before you recieve your food you go eat from the tasty buffet!! i am asian so i can judge, haha the sushi is GREAT!! :) , steakhouse did dissapoint me sadly :( but it was the only one, i ordered the prawn and fish skewer, and i wasnt impressed at all, didnt have any seasoning or spice at all, like cmon, i couldve easily done that!

PARTY POOL (BUILDING 7) = I WAS HERE EVERY DAY ALL DAY!! this is where the party is at! lots of fun people, great entertainment staff that always tries to include you in every activity, by the amount of food i ate the AQUAEROBICS session at 12:00 did help me keep weight off. theres tequila water volleyball ping pong crazy games its just a crazy time!!!!!

SERVICE- i really just wanted to leave a fat tip for all the workers! its crazy hot here and they are just working constantly so hard, no one ever seems to appreciate their work.

excursion- I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THE ZIPLINE PACKAGE INCLUDING THE "SUPERMAN ZIPLINE" it was the most craziest thing i have ever done!!!!!!!!

4th time in mexico, this rersort is huge!!!!

Room Tip: if you wanna party with a nice pool/beach view every morning, request for building 7!!!!
2 Thank P_Wizz339
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed 28 July 2014

So we booked and stayed at this nice resort for 5 days and just ended our trip on July 27th. The place is really clean, huge so you can have nice walks around the resort and to the beach, really big and clean pools with swim up bars, the nightly entertainment was also really nice and family friendly yet still enjoyable for the adults. This place had i don't know how many places where you can pick and select what you would like to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks etc. Most of the food was really tasty. The fridge in your room is always stocked and even if you remove a beer they will replace it for you right away.. They really want you to eat, drink, and enjoy yourself as much as possible 24/7. The thing I loved most was when we wanted to go to town they had a taxi for us within 1-3 minutes. We would come back again if we do an all inclusive trip again.

One thing I wish they did in Mexico was isolate the smokers so non smokers don't have to breath that in. Just my personal pet peeve.

Overall it was really nice and welcoming from all sides.

Oh yeah, the second morning we were there cabo had like a mini hurricane of sort and all the power and water was lost at the resort for like 4 hours but the staff was ready and did not skip a beat.

I hope this review helps you out

Room Tip: This resort is HUGE so if ocean view is important ask for it.
5 Thank Michael M
Independence, Kentucky
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This was my first trip to Cabo and I found some comfort in staying at a familiar chain. I have stayed at RIU resorts in Mexico and Jamaica and have found them to usually be in good locations, clean, with decent quality in food and entertainment.

The view from the pool and beach is really what sold me so in spite of some mixed reviews I rolled the dice and booked a trip. I am currently 6 days in to a 7 day trip and here are my thoughts:

Beach - Like many others have said this is not a swimming beach. Deep water and a strong undertow means no swimming unless you really want to find out if there is a God! Good beach for walking and the view is stunning, keep your shoes on as the sand is hot.

Resort - Typical for the RIU chain, large resort with a respectable amount of walking. A 5 minute or so walk gets you to most anywhere on the resort so it was not a burden. I find that once you are there and they have your money what they do and when they do it for you is really at their whimsy.

Food - Typical buffet food with a few good items mixed in with a lot of bland. Should you eat at the buffet always try to eat close to the time the buffet opens for each meal, you will find a better selection with less time for the flies to dine. They do run out of items as the night goes on. We did not eat at any of the specialty restaurants as we prefer the option to eat at our own daily schedule.

Rooms - Clean, housekeeping does a good job with one issue being they keep your door open while they clean your room which then fills with mosquitoes daily. Bring a large can of bug spray as you will need it. As others have said the beds are as hard as stone and the pillows are low end quality. Our A/C has not worked for the past 3 days and every day we call or visit the desk they say someone is coming. Good size bathroom, balcony, and working ceiling fan. As others have said there are no elevators but being on the ground floor has it's drawbacks, you get to here all the drunks trying to get to their room all hours and the doors here all slam shut.

Location - Close but not really walking distance to the Marina and Cabo San Lucas. Taxi will cost your $15.00 each way and car rental is $75.00 a day. Cabo is a mix of a mall, street vendor stalls, and various places to eat. I can't see where anyone could make a day visiting Cabo.

Entertainment - Nightly show starts at 9:30pm and while it is about as far away from Vegas as you can get they do put some effort into it. It does entertain the children and beats a blank.

Bar - Again very typical resort results. Small drinks that are not very strong or tasty.

Pools - There are two main pools one right on the beach and another half way back the resort. The pool beach would be considered the party pool with pool bars on each end and certainly has most of the rowdy crowd. There are those of all ages that camp out at these bars for the best part of the day and I would walk on that water before I would swim in it. The other pool has a much smaller crowd and more small children. While not filthy there was a lot of bugs and twigs and etc. in the water.

Atmosphere - While not 100% a party hotel there are many that are here to get and stay drunk. We did see people vomiting on the pool deck and more than one that was too drunk to walk. This resort sits against the RIU Palace but they are very separate and don't share anything. Nothing really in walking distance. They do have a sports bar area with pool tables and arcade games that all cost extra. The sports bar had the coldest a/c of anyplace on the resort and several t.v.'s which were nice.

In hindsight it was the view that sold me but there is much more to a resort than that and honestly it has been a long week that has us looking forward to going home. We did venture out and found some fun things to do (boat rides and ATV on the beach) and well as some of the beautiful scenery but it's just not enough to entice me to return. Perhaps 4 days in Cabo would be sufficient.

It seems that whale watching season is really the time to come here and that is around November to April or so and it may be a more lively, and likely more expensive, place to visit during that time.

Room Tip: Building 7 is the only one with ocean views, all others are tucked away behind the RIU Palace. Wifi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
#23 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#32 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#20 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!