“We enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Columbia, Missouri
“We enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My wife and I (in our 50s) just returned from our trip to Los Cabos (July 30-August 5). Before I started to write a review of our experience at the Riu Santa Fe, I read some of the most recently posted reviews and came away amazed at the sometimes widely divergent opinions about the resort. We found the resort to be spacious, well landscaped and beautiful. We did not mind being in a building without an elevator and having to walk up and down the stairs to get to our room (we were in Building 5, top floor). Short of having a physical disability, walking up and down the stairs is good exercise (since it may be the only physical exercise you’ll get at the resort if you lounge beside the pool, swim and relax all day, as my wife and I did). A staff member grabbed our bags and carried them up the stairs when we arrived late at night. I noted one recent reviewer complained about the food and said they went into town to eat most of their meals. We thought the food was good, not great, but certainly good enough for you to stay at the resort to eat (you paid for it). The staff was very nice, especially the young lady at Customer Service (Suzanne?) who took our dinner reservations at the resort’s specialty restaurants. She also helped us locate some nice areas in town to go shopping. We found our room to be nice and the room service good. The king-sized bed was a bit too firm and, similar to another reviewer, the alarm clock in our room did not work. Even though we asked a couple of times for it to be replaced, it did not happen. However, it was not a big deal since we just used our smart phones to set any morning wake alarms. We enjoyed our stay at the resort and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ramon613

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel riu santa fe for 6 nights 7days. There was a group of 9 for a bachelorette party, overall the hotel was very clean. You definitely get what you pay for, in respect to food and amenities. The best part of the hotel was the infinity pool, the view was mesmerizing. If you are a beach bum and love to swim in the ocean, you can forget about that because the tides are too high. We booked a cruise tour, which included snorkeling, however we were unable to snorkel because again, the water was too rough. In my opinion try not book any water excursions, because the vendors can cancel the reservations due to weather. The service in the buffet restaurants and the bars was pretty good. The housekeeping was mediocre, in a number of occasions housekeeping didn't clean the room or would forget to stock the towels. Bring toiletries, because they do not provide you with any in the rooms. A very good idea to bring small bills, unless you want to get change back in pesos. The food was average, definitely make reservations for the restaurants on the resort, the Asian restaurant was pretty good. For vegetarians the specialty restaurants do not have very many vegetarian options, keep that in mind when picking a restaurant. We stayed in building 1 which was quite far from the pool, make sure you wear comfortable footwear. Make sure to book a shuttle service for arrival and departure otherwise the cab drivers will rip you off, also make sure to ask the fare rate up front. Most of the shuttle services will be standing outside with your name, the local vendors will try to trick you for the transportation, best advice would be not to disclose any information about which hotel your staying at and who your shuttle service is. Bring lots of mosquito repellent! there were lots of mosquitoes in the rooms. The pool closes at7 pm, and  I found that the bars on the resort closed fairly early as well. Overall, our group had a great time, we were able to party on and off the resort. I would highly recommend  club Mandela, It was much cleaner and classier. El squid roe had a bit of a younger crowd, and a little run down, but definitely a cool experience.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rita R
Plainfield, Illinois
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband, my 3 year old and I recently returned from a week stay at the RIU, and it was AMAZING!! As soon as we arrived we were handed freshly made margaritas and greeted by the manager . We requested to be in builting# 7( ocean view room) and they made it happen for us. We definitely appreciated the free upgrade!! The room was extremely comfortable, clean & had everything we could possibly want, including a mini bar that was free ( I think like 5 bottles of hard liquor along with bottled water and diffrend types of soda). They refilled it every day. The staffwere kind, welcoming andwent out of their way to make sure our experience was spectacular. From Delfino (front desk) to Antonio (waiter @sport bar) to finally "the white boy" (activity guy) and many more that I can't name...they all made us feel at home!! The girls@ the kids club were fantastic and super friendly ( Kory, Paola and Andrea- thank you for taking such a good care of Alexa). The resort was very clean and absolutely beautiful with spectacular views. We checked the photos online prior to our trip and thought it looked nice, but when you arrive it is more than nice and the photos are not as good as the real thing.The grounds are huge though, so make sure you bring confortable shoes cuz you will do a lot of walking. There is at least 7 bars incuding th swim-up bars and they all have a nice selection of drinks. My two favorite drinks there were the Mohito and Banana Mama (both made from scratch). I also liked the fact that the bartenders were able to make drinks similar to adult beverages for kids. My lil one loved the virgin pina colada and mango daiquiri. The buffets are huge with so many options of yummy food ( way obove average). As far as the restaurants go, we werent able to go to all of them, but we tried the stake house - food was great, service so so... Overall we really enjoyed our vacation in Cabos, and the RIU chain is fantastic!!! Love all of the RIU hotels we have stayed in so far and this one was no expetion. I would definitely recommend this beautiful, clean and friendly resort to anyone...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank agatha w
Encino, CA
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This hotel is super fun without being too rowdy (although I haven't been during spring break). The pools are gorgeous and clean. There's two swim-up bars and three infinity pools. There are fun activities all day and there's tons of food! The food is good... not amazing... but good. The rooms are clean and nice enough... Who goes to Cabo to hang out in their room? It should be noted that the beds are far from luxurious, there is very little sound proofing (we heard lots of drunk people returning from the disco), and the shower only fits one person at a time. There are lots of options for excursions and getting transportation to the town and restaurants is easy and reasonable ($14 to downtown Cabo). We would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: Building 7 is the only building with ocean views and is the closest to the beach.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Soledad, California
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

We were there from July 31st - August 5, 2014. As we arrived to the hotel there was no one to meet us and get our bags. It was hot and humid in the lobby and everywhere else except for the sports bar. We had reservations for building 7 but were put in building 1 on the 4th floor because they said they were booked and couldn't do anything. Oh and building 1 doesn't have an elevator so you have to walk up 8 sets of stairs to get to the 4th floor. The food was horrible served samething over and over. All Pools close at 8 pm and all Bars except for the center lobby bars close at 8 pm. Beer is warm, but mixed drinks were ok. Ice machines never have ice and service is horrible. Will definitely not be going back!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank 1Chunk
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The resort was fine, and for the price I can't complain too much... But it's so overcrowded, we waited FOREVER for drinks and some of the bartenders were just plain rude. The food was so-so at best, but I still have a stomach ache a couple days removed from the trip. Our rooms were not cleaned daily which was disappointing. They only allowed us reservations at two of the restaurants, claiming everything was booked, but at best the restaurants were half full. And the pool water was so warm, it felt like bath water. The location is great, the scenery is amazing and the rooms are a very good size, and they had GREAT water pressure, which I've had trouble with in Mexico before. It was fine, but I don't think I'd ever go back...

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Natle_31
Clark, New Jersey
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I have visited Mexico on The Gulf side many times, so I did not know what to expect while visiting Cabo. I chose the Riu since we were traveling with My 20 year old daughter and her friend. I was very happy with this all inclusive hotel and the location.

The Riu Sante fe resort was amazing. Our room was in building 7 with a perfect view of the infinity pool and ocean. This place is beautiful. Although we were on the pool side, it was not noisy at all and we enjoyed the quick walk to the breakfast buffet restaurant, beach and pool. In my opinion, best location on the resort with beautiful views. The place is spotless - the staff extremely accommodating and friendly.

The rooms were spacious - beds not so comfy though - they could use better bedding - sheets are a bit scratchy....only two pillows per queen.................what??? Blankets were provided in the closet if need be, but I felt like I slept in "a bed of nails" each night. Bu,t waking up to the view from my room made up for it!

Overall, wonderful experience. I have recommended Riu would return to Riu in a heart beat.

The buffets were good, and the specialty restaurants were great for an all inclusive resort. If you are planning a family vacation with young adults, 18+ they will have a blast here and so will you. The staff at the pool were awsome, with daily activities - and the shows at night were pretty good (keeping in mind - you are in Mexico - not NYC)

It is a 5 minute cab ride into town where you will find tons of Shops, restaurants and clubs.
Cabo itself is beautiful - and I am so glad that I chose this resort to experience it for the first time.

Room Tip: Building 7 is closest to the beach with ocean view and infinity pool view . Quick walk to Buffet r...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos
#23 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#32 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#20 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!