“A Great Family Vacation Away from the Snow”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #41 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
British Columbia
“A Great Family Vacation Away from the Snow”
Reviewed 8 January 2009

We really enjoyed our vacation here. Immigration upon coming into the airport is a bit slow but consistent with travel to other countries. Thanks to an earlier review on TripAdvisor, we knew to keep on walking out the door at the airport where the Tour Group people were waiting. Bus ride to the hotel is about 30 minutes. Check in was very quick. Staff was waiting with a drink and envelop with our necessary key and room information. The resort itself is beautifully laid out with good maps. The room was spacious, clean and well kept. A tip to the chambermaid is recommended. (they are all very friendly!) Tons of space at the pools although we did find the pools a bit cold. Jacuzzi's are just jetted parts of the pool with no temperature difference. Service was great. Servicing Staff were very friendly and accomodating. We liked the Kids Club, although it is better for the younger crowd although our 10 year old enjoyed it. Kids Club staff is great especially Eva. We enjoyed the kids mini disco in the evenings as did our children. We found some of the songs on the internet after we returned and our youngest is still dancing to the songs. We played tennis a few times - they have racquets and some flat balls (bring your own if you are hard core!). We found the food really good, especially all the local mexican dishes. The hotel put on a SPECTACULAR New Years Eve Dinner and Party. We aren't big drinkers but there is more than enough booze to go around - lots in your room too along with water and mixes. We had no stomach troubles either. We liked the beach and found it swimmable. Many merchants on the beach to contend with. We took the glass bottomed boat across the arches with "Joe" and we would recommend it. Bring drinks and some food (no facilities there!). We used the local buses - cheap! But keep in mind they take long loops around. Catch the bus just outside the security gates. Walmart was not worth the trip although their booze is cheap. We were underwhelme by downtown (more merchants and more expensive) but nice yachts in the marina if you like that kind of thing. We loved the resort and would recommend it for families with young children. It was an excellent getaway for us!

• Liked — well laid out resort
  • Disliked — that funny smell that you always get in Mexico
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank YLW_guy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,326)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 January 2009

.First time at a Riu, many times to Cabo, Manzanillo, Cancun, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta.etc. We were pleased with the quick, efficient check-in with cold drinks and friendly staff in the beautiful lobby.. but . it took us FOREVER to find our room, pounding the pavement in the dark, thru a maze of bldgs.. tired from our long travel day.(they need some guides), lots of walking, but bldg.#7 at least has an elevator, we finally hopped on a luggage trolley, hitched a ride and were happy to give a good tip to the driver to finally get to our bldg..our luggage got to the room in 1/2 hour. pay close attention when they tell you where your room is as this in a HUGE complex. this place could use some people trolleys.. we found it a lot of walking .AND we saw a lot of injuries, broken ankles, arms in slings, sprains, folks who had tripped and fallen.. some complained about food poisoning but I think it was the hot sun or the sushi. gloves are not worn to make it and the fillings sit out who knows how long. the hygiene is questionable, I had it once and felt queasy after, so I stayed away from it..if the fish doesn't look fresh, likely it isn't'.
security was very good and we always felt safe. no mention of thefts. people left things around the pools and it was all ok.
lots of pool lounges, no need to get up at the crack of dawn to "reserve". no umbrellas on the beach tho, so it wasn't used much, lots of empty lounges there. the town bus stops at the front gate and is less than one $ to town. Wal Mart is across the street, best buys in Cabo on Liquor and "Cabo" wear. Taxis are $10.00 to Cabo.
rooms were very good, bathrooms in good order but the tubs are sloped and my husband fell while having a shower.
we paid for an oceanFRONT room, but got an oceanview., which is not the same. rooms are in a horseshoe configuration and all face each other. they are noisy, not private and very little view. after some testy "discussion" we got moved to an oceanfront, #7223, across the front overlooking the arches. the balcony was private and enjoyable, and we got what we paid for.. we played, partied and relaxed at the pool in front of our room, with 50 or so of our new found friends making this huge resort a friendly, smaller, friendlier area for us. it was a fun bunch of people.
there were about half Canadians and Americans and we had a really good, happy, fun time with everybody. Drinks were a little watered down, but the swim up bar was great, mojitos were the favorite. ask for the brand name liquor, Bacardi, Smirnoff or you will get domestic. there are no waiters serving the pool areas., so you get your own. the rooms have domestic, but the corona beer is cold and well stocked, we often brought it to the pool..
everything was very very clean, the pools, the rooms, the eating areas.no bugs. the place was very well staffed by friendly, helpful people, who were constantly cleaning. lots of towels etc. .
buffet was good, esp breakfast. but a long walk. lunch was poor,. in a smaller area by our complex, but it was not replenished and there was very little left if you didn't go early. mainly burgers and fries and a sparse salad bar. it was the same thing every day but once it ran out, it was gone......even if you asked for more, too bad. lots of people took extra from the large morning buffet to have for lunch. plus, the food and the drink dispensers at the lunch area were covered with wasps and flies. yuk. the specialty restaurants were good, the Italian the best if you had the beef fillet. better than the steak place. go figure.. no pasta here tho.. you can reserve for these special restaurants any time of the day and 2 at a time for the week if you want. ask when you book what is good to eat and you'll get good tips about it. they were easy about reserving.. casual dress was the norm, even shorts. you don't need a lot of clothes here. evening entertainment was so so and we usually skipped it. we got a pass one night to go next door to the Riu Palace. this IS a 5*. the buffet was very good, lobster, filet mignon, champagne. a nice entertainment area and good bar. however, we found it a bit stuffy and we noticed people from there coming to the Santa Fe as it was more fun and generally livelier. they could use our hotel, we could not use theirs!! it is worth a night out there tho.
we went on a wonderful sunset dinner cruise,called the Fiesta, 5 hours with a great lobster buffet. and real fiesta entertainment. It was worth every penny, except we didn't pay the $80.00 each for it, we used it as part of a 90 min. time share we went to for which we got $250.00 cash. we always hold out for cash, and $250.00 seems to be the going rate there but you have to ask for it.(instead of a fishing trip or dinner etc.) we came home with more $$ than we went with, plus we had wanted to see this time share place anyways for future. the location of the Riu is good as it's fairly close to town and you could walk there but it's a fair hike in the heat to get to town..
we had a very fun 2 weeks here with all the sun seeking holiday-ers but found the staff not at all helpful if you had a problem, like a fall or the wrong room, or no food at lunchtime. it's a take it or leave it attitude. plus it was just too large and spread out for us and too much walking, so we would not go back. A lot of people were upset that the beach is not good for swimming and the pools were cold, plus no pool service . we love Cabo and there are zillions of places to stay there. we were expecting a 5* but this is likely a 4 or 41/2. we had much better value at the El Presidente in Ixtapa last year with good food, service and entertainment, plus you can swim in the ocean. .

• Liked — all the fun we had
  • Disliked — too much walking to get anywhere
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with family
9 Thank maureen C
sarnia, ontario
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I read these reviews every time I book a Vacation. I must say that I am PICKIER that most travelers, only because I do spend alot on these trips and I bring along my adult children. Therefore I expect to get more for my money then most. We traveled to the Riu during Christmas. The weather was great, the view was amazing, the people at the resort including the guests were all friendly ( mostly Canadians).
But the food was so plain ( I own a restaurant) I was totally disappointed. It was the same thing day in and day out. I have been to other Riu's and their buffets are amazing . The only day we got shrimp was Christmas Eve, when we where all forced to eat at the buffet either at 6:00 or 8:45. I have never seen such a disorganized mess in my life ( other that Friday night rush hour at my restaurant ). I was stressed just watching the cooks trying to keep up with the demand. I spent almost an hour in line trying to get a plate of food ( I didnt even go up for more). They should have had more seating times.
We booked only 2 restaurants because everything else was taken. The Asian is not too bad. It actually was great, since we went to the Italian one first and it was worst then terrible. Italian is my specialty . If you are running a 5 star hotel and you have an Italian restaurant , why won't you hire a professional Italian Chef. There was nothing Italian about this place. The sauce was terrible and and lasagna looked disgusting. They served my son's a raw steak and my daughter didnt want meat so they made her risotto with vegtables and it tasted spoiled.
We booked 2 rooms with an ocean or pool view. We were given a room facing the back of the Riu Palace. The one room had a king bed which was great for my husband and I. But the children got a room with 2 double beds pushed together. That
would be great if they were little. But they are 6'3'', 6'1'',and 6'.
So my daughter had to sleep on a cot for 7 nights ( which I had the front desk bring in). I was but on a waiting list for a pool view room and on Christmas day ( 3 days after we arrived) they had one available. They asked us to move out of our room by 11 am and they would have the pool view room available by 3 pm. I walked into the childrens room and saw all the packing I had to do and I decided that it wasn't worth it.
The hotel was 100% booked and there was alot of screaming babies and kids playing soccer along the pool decks on the ocean view side. We were packed like sardines. There was no one in the pools because the water was too cold. The weather was between 82-86 most days, but the nights are around 65.
So the pools were freezing. Out of about 2,000 guest there must have been about a dozen people in the pool at any given time and about the same in the ocean.
The shows at night are ok. I think most of the guest at the Riu are more refined and they should have catered to that. Some shows were so lame that we left half way thru it.
It really is a beautiful hotel, the grounds are well maintained. The rooms are great (other then the beds are not big enough).
The service is friendly, the bartenders are fast, the maids are great. Check in was fast. And there isnt as much walking as most reviewers said there would be. The buildings are much closer ( about a 2 minute walk to the buffet or your room, from the ocean building).
Overall we had a great time. We make the best of our vacations because in the end they are great memories. Just hope the Hotel reads my review and makes a few changes before they get to much negative feedback ( they have only been opened over a year so they can make some improvements).

• Liked — great view
  • Disliked — sleeping in cot and the plain food
  • Stayed December 2008
9 Thank sunbaby48
Barrie, Ontario
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I highly recommend this hotel. It is the best of the best. My husband, son and other family members stayed at this resort. I have stayed at various Riu Resorts and this one is the best by far. The food was excellent, the staff friendly and the nightlife was also good. Various activities on the beach but affordable. My son jet skied, wake boarded, ski flying etc. My husband went deep sea fishing for a low price of 200.00 US for one day. That is cheap! He did it twice to boot. It cost 5.00 US to go to town by cab or 2.00US by . Town was amazing. Loved it better than Playa Del Carmen in Mayan Rivera. Which is one of my favs. The ocean view is amazing. Lots of action to enjoy or just be a by stander. Chairs were never an issue to find. Beach or pool. We asked for a different room as our balcony view was facing the field. No problem. Done! In a nut shell, we will be returning to the Cabo San Luca area. PS. Make sure you take a water taxi to Lovers Beach. Take some cash so you can purchase refreshments and enjoy the view.

• Liked — The pool and beach
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank OntarioBigMamma
Missouri
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We stayed four nights at the Riu Santa Fe prior to Christmas. Unfortunately, we were looking for a romantic getaway. Somewhere between the keg stands, hotel-sponsored beer drinking contests, cafeteria-style buffets, poor service, and swarming bees, we lost the romantic atmosphere. Having previously stayed at a resort in Cancun (not a Riu), we were amazed at the differences between the hotels.

Our number one complaint had to be the food. Very poor quality. I'm fairly certain the nacho cheese at the restaurant by the beach had cigarette ashes in it one day. There were always bees around the self-serve drinks (at least until we mentioned it!). I had a hamburger that was still bleeding - even the couple at the table next to us commented on how awful it looked. The steaks were quite similar to what we have had before in third world countries throughout Latin America. The manager even warned us about the steaks before we ate at the steakhouse.

The atmosphere was quite similar to spring break. Never have I seen hotel entertainment staff at a resort very openly (next to the towel station) making out with a hotel guest, who could barely stand after so many alcoholic beverages. Also, the staff literally walked around the pool asking all to join in the beer drinking contest, and in the early afternoon at that!

We attempted to switch hotels, but were unable to get Book-It to agree to refund our money. Looking back, we wish we had spent the additional money to go somewhere else to finish our trip. We will not be back to this (or any) Riu.

• Liked — It was on a beach
  • Disliked — Food, Atmosphere, Service
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank TropicalGlass
Toronto
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I went to the Riu Santa Fe from December 11th-18th with my friend on a girls trip. We were looking for relaxation after a busy semester of school, and that is exactly what we got. From the moment we arrived at the resort to the time we left, the staff were beyond helpful.
We were in building 7 and it was absolutely perfect. Some reviews had lead us to believe that it was so far from the main part of the resort, but those were wrong. It is maybe a 5 minute walk from building 7 to the main court area. Building 7 also has a food place that is open from 12-5, so we would eat breakfast and dinner at the main buffet and lunch at building 7.
We only ate at the steak house a la carte and that was the best decision for us. The food was incredible and it was so filling! The nights that the Asian a la carte is closed, they have a sushi booth set up where they hand roll whatever type you want.
We went on the "Pez Gato" excursion, which was 4 hours long and took us snorkeling and to see the arches and sea lions. The staff on the boat were increibly and it was such a nice way to go off the resort for a bit. An added bonus was all the whales we saw, which was probably around 10 or so.
We also went to the Walmart, which is by far the most inexpensive way to buy souvenirs.
The water is really rough by the resort, there are only a few places where it is alright to swim, and that was okay with us. Going down to the beach you have a lot of vendors who are eager to barter with you and that can be very overwelming. So we were happy just lounging by the pool all day long.
Finally, we met a lot of people who were staying at the Palace but had day passes to the Santa Fe, and many of them said that they would stay at the Santa Fe over the Palace because it is a younger, more enthusiastic crowd (but by no means "spring break" enthusiastic). So to decide between the two, that would probably be the biggest factor.
I traveled to a resort in Cuba earlier in 2008 and had that to compare the Riu too. I would not return to Cuba (because I am picky about food) but I would return to Cabo, the Riu Santa Fe in an instant!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
7 Thank sec12
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 January 2009

my boyfriend and I stayed at the Riu Santa Fe from Dec 8 to the 15.

arrival:
no problems at the airport. the timeshare people were not aggressive at all. we just walked passed them with our baggage and headed outside to our shuttle bus. it's a about a half hour ride to get to the resort. we didn't mind as tour guide was very comical and informative.

check in:
we were greeted with cold beer and cocktail beverages as we lined up at a table near the entrance to get our envelope. in the envelope you will find a map of the resort, one key to your room and 3 stickers for you to place on your luggage if you wish to have your bags delivered to your room.

rooms:
we requested oceanfront and that's what we got. building 7 on the fourth floor which is about a 5 min walk from the front entrance - not bad at all! this is the only building with an elevator and it's own front desk where you can request for additional room keys and book restaurant reservations etc. our view was breathtaking!!!!. we had a lovely view of the infinity pool overlooking the ocean and the arch. our room had its own liquor dispensers with full bottles of rum, vodka, tequila and rye. mini fridge below stocked with pop, water and coronas. excellent functioning ceiling fan and air conditioning, king size bed, marble washroom with double sinks. large closet with a mini safe (digital combination) - we left most of our valuables in there. we had NO problems with theft!!!! and no problems with noise from the hallways or neighbouring rooms.

next morning we had an orientation. this is for all those who just arrived. your travel agent will be there who will give you a brief introduction of the resort, bookings of activities and a meet and greet with each staff responsible for a specific area of the resort.

grounds:
this resort is impeccable – utterly spotless!!! someone is always cleaning - every minute of the day and night. we even saw someone scrubbing and washing garbage bins and walkways. there are about 900 plus rooms - this place is large. you'll be doing lots of walking - bring comfortable footwear.

pools/beach:
the pools are huge and the temperature is very warm. the beach is not swimable. the waves are too strong so be careful and the sand is coarse. there are water taxi's everywhere $10US per person to get across to the lovers beach. a must see!!!

restaurants:
we only booked the steakhouse and italian restaurants both were excellent. the main buffet had lots of selections with nightly themes and a weekly mexican fiesta. The breakfast buffet was mediocre – repetitive at times.

activities:
we booked snorkeling, 3 hour city tour - steak lunch included, ATV and deep sea fishing. all booked through our travel agent in the lobby with the exception of one. we booked the fishing excursion with this company by the marina called dorado's sportfishing fleet charters for $350US including 2 licenses and bait. complete rip off!!! we only got 6 hours out of the 8 hours that we paid for and on top this we caught absolutely nothing. it seems as if the captain did not know the sea at all. he took us to a location where there was no marlins. the boat crew was lazy and did nothing but sit back and crack jokes at each other! it was a complete nightmare. we couldn't wait to dock and ask for our money back. * do your research before you book your sport fishing make sure it's with a reputable company!*

shopping
lots of bargains at the marina flea market – 30 min walk from the resort or at the nearby mall – for $1 US dollar you can get there by bus – the pick up is in front of the resort gate – which will also take you to Wal-Mart – cheap alcohol

nightlife
crazy amazing! you can walk all hours in the evening and feel safe. everyone is so humble. we checked out cabo wabo- mixed crowd – live band, the zoo plays hip hop, rnb etc and el squid roe 3 floors - open air – no roof…this place is wild and packed! we had a great time at all places – bring lots of change for alcohol you’ll have so much fun!!!

weather:
we had one whole week of fun in the sun. very hot during the day – cool in the evening. make sure to bring a sweater for the evening breeze. we forgot ours and ended up buying one from the gift shop.

staff:
hard working, helpful, cheerful and underpaid. make sure to always tip!!! they deserve it.

i hope this helps! have a wonderful vacation – we will definitely come back!!!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#33 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort & Spa
Breathless Cabo San Lucas Resort...
#21 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!