“Excellent All-Inclusive”
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #42 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 10 March 2009

To get to RIU from the airport when you don't have transportation included, use cabosanlucastours.net for a 17 dollar per person one way trip and when you get your voucher via email in less than hour after paying online you also get a Cabo fun card that gives you discounts at some off-resort restaurants (we only had an appetizer at Lorenzillos which has been around since the 1600's as Riu's food was fine with us but that does not mean you should not try some of the local places in Cabo as I have heard they are quite delicious and cheap) and you can print it out many times. I will mention what to do on the way back to the airport a bit later in this review. My wife and I just got back yesterday from RIU Santa Fe in Cabo San Lucas after arriving this past Thursday and were very pleased with everything. Food was the best I have had out of several all-inclusives I've vacationed at. The buffet was good each day and the restaurants were reasonably good for an all-inclusive. Lunch options were better than expected as you can get sandwiches/pastries/fruits at the sports bar and a Buffet at La Mission. The steakhouse also has a small lunch buffet. We ate dinner at the steakhouse and the Italian place and both were satisfactory for an all-inclusive. Staff was very friendly and the computer guy in the Sports Bar was very helpful when I needed computer assistance in a pinch. Drinks were very good and the bartenders were not stingy with the alcohol. If you ask for more alcohol to be added to the drink they oblige without a problem. We were in the infamous building #7 which is by the swim-up bar, best pools at RIU with stunning ocean views, towel closet and the beach access. It is really helpful to be in that building as you get your own concierge service and reception service. You are also close to where all the fun is at and the spa. If people want a quieter day they can head to the pool closer to the front desk and encounter silence for most of the day. We needed additional pillows late in the evening and they brought it up within 10 minutes. The room did have a slight mildewy smell but it wasn't overbearing by any stretch. The smells from the sewage plant that everyone complains about (not just at Riu but at many Medano beach resorts) does indeed come through if you are out on the terrace or on the outside grounds but again it isn't so constant and does not deter you from opening the terrace door to let the sea air into the room. Ocean view was delivered as promised and without any shananigans. Spa was nice and allows free access to saunas, steam rooms and 2 jacuzzi's which, unlike most normal spas, I could share with my wife. Riu gives you many options for transportation both for the airport and rides into Cabo. You can access a cheap 7 peso/person local bus (every 30 minutes) just outside the Riu gate if you want or request a shared taxi plan which allows you to split taxi ride costs ($10 into Cabo and from $30-$45/person to the airport). I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT ALL PEOPLE THAT GO TO RIU AND DON'T HAVE TRANSPORTATION INCLUDED ASK ABOUT SHARED CAB SERVICE ESPECIALLY BACK TO THE AIRPORT. The entertainment daily/nightly was very good and provided a different theme each night, well worth it. The vendors on the beach are not bothersome as some people have stated in previous reviews. They ask once if you want to buy something and then they move on if you say no. If the water was warmer for us there would have been no reason why we could not swim in the ocean, but in March what do you expect? There were some minor rip tides but nothing that someone who can swim could not handle. The main swimming beach is a two minute walk on the beach so you can go there if you are nervous. Activities are plentiful and if you do a timeshare presentation you will get 2 to 3 quite expensive activities unassociated with Riu for free. The Glass Bottom boat (just 12 dollars) runs every hour and pulls right up to the beach in between RIU and La Estancia. We did not get a chance to go on the boat ride but many people liked it and enjoyed Lover's beach by the famous Arch rock formation. No one should fear the town of Cabo along the main strip and the marina (Puerto Paraiso Mall is gorgeous and has a casino if you like that kind of thing). In this place you can ignore the government warnings about Mexico as they do not apply to Cabo. Why do you think celebrities and famous athletes constantly flock there every weekend? We loved this trip and the only two negatives I had was that it was too short and I did not see any celebrities, lol.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ytb_com_cliffedge
Write a ReviewReviews (8,130)

Reviewed 10 March 2009

We arrived, on Thursday Feb 26th 2009. Riu Santa Fe is a huge beautiful hotel with lots to offer. Food is as good as it gets for Mexico, and get in line early (7am) for the specialty restaurants, because you can only book two at a time, and they go fast, you will want to book the specialty restaurants, because the menu is very much the same, day in and day out.. I would suggest the Steakhouse, and Italian, we found them the best. NOTE: All the food is very salty.
Pools are clean, but only the middle one is heated. I like that you could always find a beach chair, even if you came out later, but many people will save them with their towels or magazines.
You can walk along the beach into town, it takes about 1/2 an hour, and your in the beautiful harbour. The town is amazing with lots to do and see.
The bar seen is great if your into that. I would suggest "CABOWABO, EL SQUID ROW, MANDILA, THE ZOO, NO WHERE BAR. Its great cause they are all in walking distance of each other. I would suggest if your going into town bar hopping, and your with a bunch of people, to NOT go with the entertainment staff at the hotel because they charge $16 a person, when taking a cab cost $3. two or less people in a cab is $10 anywhere. The excursions are endless, we went Parasailing off our beach, swimming with the dolphins, and surfing and it was amazing, looking over the hotels, lovers beach, and the Cruise ships; swimming with the dolphins was my fav, you are in the water with them for an hour, just playing and swiming NOTE: THEY DO CHARGE EXTRA FOR PICS. Surfing was cool, they take you out to Totos Santos, which is 45 outside of Cabo, where Hotel California is. Beautiful beaches and a great small town. Check out Lover's Beach, the rock formation is amazing!! and the beach is a amazing!!!! ask your water taxie to take you over to see the sea Lions on your way back. They are so cute, but smell really bad!!!.

1  Thank BABE101Toronto
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We just got home from a one week stay at the RIU Santa Fe in Los Cabos Mexico. I miss it already! We had an amazing time and I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking to visit the Baja California area!

Where to begin - well from my experience if you are looking for a place with lots of younger guests and a lively and entertaining atmosphere then this is the place for you! The Santa Fe seemed to attract guests between the ages of 18-35 as the primary target group. There were some young families but I'm telling you it's not somewhere I would take my young child for a relaxing trip. There were many nights that we didn't get to bed until after 3am because we were out partying downtown Cabo and we would still hear party goers coming in laughing and screaming into the early hours of the morning! If you are looking for a more relaxing stay I would go with the RIU Palace right next door - it's a few hundred extra but it seemed a lot more subdued in terms of the party scene!

Check in was really easy we were greeted with drinks and flowers! It was very cute. We were lucky and our room was ready as soon as we got there. We decided to take our own bags up because we didn't want to be waiting for them to bring them to us. The hotel provides towel service which was great because it was one less thing to worry about. The grounds are beautiful and very well maintained. Our room was always clean and kept well organized and our mini-bar and fridge were always fully stocked. We have no complaints about the room or hotel property at all!

The beach is nice and was bustling during the day. There are a LOT of merchants always trying to sell you things but they are not pushy at all and usually we just politely said no and kept on walking. I had not been aware at the time of booking that you are NOT able to swim in the ocean here as the undertow is way too strong. We swam anyways but did not venture too far out. We actually witnessed an older lady being rescued and saw some young intoxicated teenagers come dangerously close to an incedent so unless you are a strong and confident swimmer then I would stay out of the water! Another option is to take a glass bottom water taxi to Lover's Beach which will cost you about $5 each way. The trip is well worth it and we often spent several hours on the island. If you ask them to give you a tour you can see sea lions and the famous arches where the Sea or Cortez meets the Pacific Ocean. Our guide also showed us different rock formations which was interesting! I heard if you pay some of the taxi drivers a little extra they will take you out to whale watch. I would suggest doing that if you want to see whales because the whale watching excursion is quite pricey!

We did the ATV excursion and it was phenomenal! I would highly recommend going! We booked the tour on the beach and then were picked up at the hotel and bussed to a remote location. I believe the company we went through was called Amigos. It was very reasonably priced (especially if you go double on one machine and split the cost which is what we did). They take you on a trail that ends right on the Pacific Ocean and then give you about 1.5 hours of free time to play around on the sand dunes on the beach. My friend and I even spent some time swimming there and enjoying the total privacy of the beach.

We didn't do any other excursions because compared to other places I've been they are WAY too much $$. The dolphin swim cost people we met almost $500 for the two of them because they weren't even allowed to bring their own camera so obviously they got nabbed on purchasing the photos as well!

I would totally reccomend going out in the evenings to downtown Cabo. It was so much fun! Some clubs in Cabo stay open until 4 in the morming and you HAVE to go out for authentic Mexican chichen fajitas afterward. We found a little place down an alley that our cab driver suggested and it was the best after-bar food I've ever eaten! The best part is that they make it all fresh right in fron of you and the portions are HUGE! We all ended up just splitting them and the total for 6 of us to eat was $20!!

Speaking of food I have to admit that the hotel food was definitely not a selling point. The buffet was very unpredictable. You could tell they were trying to cater to the American clientele (even though more than 90% of the people we met were Canadian!). There was a lot of meat and fatty deep fried foods. I spent a lot of lunches eating corn chips, guacamole, and salsa! One night the dinner buffet had sushi where they had someone making it fresh to order. That was probably the best night. They only let you do two a la carte meals. We tried to book the second day and everything was already completely booked solid! So we decided we would just show up and see if they could accomodate us. We got into three of the restaurants that way with no reservations! I think people just book to be safe and then no-show because they never seemed that busy so I;m sure they would have taken even more walk-ins. A nice tip helps you out here too for the next night! We ate at the Italian, Asian, and Steak House. We were told the steak house was best but the meat was kind of over-cooked and the appetizers were all deep fried! The soup/salad was nice though. I liked the Asian because again, I like the sushi, but my friends likes the Italian the best because it was there that we had the most attentive service and everyone enjoyed their meals.

We never once went to any of the evening entertainment because we usually ate dinner later on and spent the full days in the sun or at the beach. It looked ok from waht we saw from the restaurants or the bars. Speaking of bars I was kind of dissapointed how early they closed down. If you didn't want to go into the city and just hang out at the resort the disco was awful and the outdoor bars closed down at midnight! That meant either disco or sports bar, both of which sucked! Another thing that sucked about the sports bar was the late night food selection. All they have available is hamburgers and nachos. It was terrible! If you're going to be out and want snacks later I would suggest hitting the dinner buffet and snagging some extras for your room fridge!

All-in-all how can you complain? The weather was fabulous and the staff were fun and nice! I wouldn't technically call it a 5 star resort because it just doesn't have all the amenities you would expect from a true 5 star. That being said, the area is one that you do not want to miss and you will have a great time at the Santa Fe - it is a good value for your money!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank CaboChickies
Reviewed 10 March 2009

We stayed at the Santa Fe from Feb. 23-March 2, 09 and had a fabulous time! For sure the food is not the best and the ala carte restaurants leave a lot to be desired, but we didnt go for the food! There was always lots of fresh fruit to choose from and the freshly made nacho chips, salsa and guacamole were to die for.

The rooms were beautifully appointed, clean and comfortable. We had a room on the second floor in building 3 and it was perfect. It was almost equal distance to the beach or to the food. Be prepared to do a lot of walking, but hey it exercise and its good for you!
Our bed was very hard so I asked for a foamy and within an hour it was on our bed. the maids were very sweet and helpful and we always left at least 20 pesos for them each day, as well we always tipped in the dining room and the buffet.

We rode the collectivo bus to costco, walmart and in to town, it was 14 peso per couple and we also paid the $10 for a taxi. We walked back to the resort from town and it was about a 30 minute walk on the beach. I had a massage at Medano beach that was great, cost 350 pesos for 45 minutes!

The only complaint I had about the resort was the drunken 40 something women making fools of themselves, and being a Canadian it was a bit annoying to always being quoted prices in US dollars when shopping but in the big scheme of things they were pretty minor. We loved the Santa Fe and would definately good back!

Loved Isobel at the front desk, very helpful and found me the perfect room after 3 tries!

2  Thank Wunderlust55
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Stayed from February 26-March 5/09 and was so impressed with the Riu Santa Fe. Had a bad experience with Riu once before but thought I would give them a second chance and boy were we impressed. Firstly, the location is sheer BREATHTAKING there. Check the phots you'll see. Brought our five year old and there was just no dispappointing. WE didn't see much children there but we couldn't keep him out of the pool anyway.
I must say we as 40 somethings found it enjoyable for our age group and we met and spoke often with another group of 20-somethings who also loved the resort and the nightlife. The timing was perfect as whales were down and my son and I went on a whale watching tour which was so beautiful. The day before my wife and I with our son went on a sunset cruise on a Catamaran and it too was so nice. HONESTLY, I'm pretty picky with reviews so trust me on this one. Well worth the investment! Some other people went Marlin fishing and brought one back to the chef at the hotel who did it up two ways grilled/barbecued..and they shared with other guests and my five year old loved it. I must say one week was nnot enough as I wanted to do more but we are definitely returning. Just one minor point cause I know you might want to know. The specialty restaurants were just OK. One suggestion is that there be more of a selection..too limited. But, like I said I can't rave about the staff/service/cleanliness and the total package. There truly is somehting for everyone!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank chris123Mississauga
Reviewed 7 March 2009

So I went to the Riu and it was my first time going to Mexico, and with all the bad press that has been going on I was a bit nervous about the trip...That being said, the moment I stepped off the plane things continues to get better and better. The Bus picked us up at the Airport and the rep from the Riu was funny and and informative. The resort is decorated in a very classy manner. The pools are beautiful as are the dining areas. The food is by far the best I have ever had at a resort, no one from my group got sick at all. our rooms were stocked with drinks including alchol every second day but if you need an early restock just give the desk a call and they come running to help. You will definitly fall in love with the view off the beach and I suggest taking a boat ride to Lovers Beach. The Bars are always playing great music and the entertainment group is lively and constantly energizing the guests. At night if you are intersted in the going out feel free to set it up with Teresa and she will organize your outings to either Kabo Wabo, Jungle Bar, Squid Row or Mandela. If you have an itch to unwind please go to the spa and book yourself a massage, you will be treating yourself to a very relaxing, tranquil, and meditative experiance. Beyond that enjoy the sunrises, enjoy the company, and feel free to fall in love in Los Cabos!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank JPV84
Reviewed 5 March 2009

I just got back from our vacation...we stayed from Feb.26-Mar.3. The weather rocked and the people are amazing there. So many things to do. Let me start out by saying the things I didn't care for. First was the beds...HARD AS A ROCK! I may have back problems, but these beds were firm as could be and there were not enough pillows. One for each of us. Other then that the rooms were great. Once we left the room for a few hours in the morning, by the time we got back the rooms were clean and well taken care of. The pools are great! Cool, but just right for me when you've been sitting in the sun hours. The bars by the pool are great. The drinks are ok...don't put too much alcohol. The activities that they have on the beach are great. But a bit expensive. You're better off going to town to do some of them to save some money. And the one thing I think everyone should no is bring all the cash you need. They have no ATM at the hotel. You would think they would, but you need to go to town to get pasos. And everyone we talked to wouldn't take the pasos. They all wanted USD. So when you run out at the hotel from tips and activities and shopping you're pretty much screwed. Lastly...don't bother making reservations for the restaurants...they all suck! And not worth the time of making the reservations. The food in town is MUCH better and you get to experience Cabo. Just don't drink the water :) Other then that WE HAD A BLAST and got the best sun, had a message at the spa and relaxed as much as we could. The last day we went whale watching and saw 7 Humpback Whales breaching it was amazing and I highly recommend it! I would go back in a heart beat!

2  Thank sleez