“Good Value. Plenty of room to stretch out and do nothing.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Riu Santa Fe

Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
San Jose, California
“Good Value. Plenty of room to stretch out and do nothing.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

The Riu Sante Fe offers a nice value for a relaxing and low maint vacation. The price is good for an all inclusive resort. The food is not spectacular, but that is fine with me. The average food kept me from indulging too much, allowing more calories to be allocated to alcohol. Our room was OK in bldg 4, but bldg 7 is the place to be. The bed was hard, but the resort had the golf channel. You have to accept trade-offs. Plenty of room at the pools with nice ocean views in front of building 7. Another nice thing about the all inclusive resort, assuming you are not uber picky, is it removes most of the meal planning overhead from the trip. It's nice not to have to worry about reservations and where you are going to eat and just wander down and grab a bite. The drinks were free flowing. I single handedly put a big dent in their gin stock. My priority for this trip was to relax with the wife and I had no problem doing it at the Sante Fe. The one negative experience was a site seeing trip thru Los Cabos and San Jose. The driver provided a little history as we drove and then dropped us at 4-5 establishments that must have also been paying the tour company to funnel tourists to them. Very disappointing tour. As for the beach, it has been mentioned before that the beach in front of the resort was dangerous. I don't know if it is a seasonal thing, but we saw a number of people get beat up by the under tow in front of the resort. A couple of people were physically scratched up and hurt after braving the surf. Only experienced swimmers should swim in front of the hotel. There are swimmable beaches within a mile.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank azgapper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

OK, I'll try to keep this short and sweet :)
Arrived in Cabo at 11pm on a Friday evening with my husband. Was at the Riu Santa Fe by 12am (courtesy of cabosanlucastours.com), no problems. Excellent staff through the ENTIRE trip . . . everyone was super nice, and EVERYONE said 'hola' or 'buenos dias', etc., each time you passed.
Rooms were immaculate, stayed in the garden-view rooms, room 3209. It was VERY near the awesome 'internal' pool, and only a short walk to the beach 'infinity' pool.
Buffets were typical buffets . . . something that everyone could like, even found a few things I LOVED! It is true, coffee from the automatic machines IS better than the pots of coffee they bring to your table :) Drinks were great, some too strong, some too weak, but just find a bartender that you like and stick with him/her!
Our friends (3 other couples) arrived our 2nd day at the Santa Fe and we had a BLAST, just hanging out at the infinity pool, bar, and jumping waves on the beach!
The beach is beautiful, one of the prettiest and cleanest I've ever been to . . . but they ARE serious when they say you can die in the waves/undertow. My husband and 3 guy-friends tried the wave-jumping, and got pulled under mutliple times . . . luckily, they are good swimmers! Once you pass the ledge where the waves break, it's OK . . . but better have a floatie if you can't swim! The girls and I just stood back up the beach a bit and let the waves wash up to our knees, and we were even pulled down multiple times and ate a LOT of sand! Was still fun, for adults who are paying attention to what we were doing . . . would NEVER recommend this beach for children or drunk adults :)
Infinity pool was awesome, best pool view I've ever been to . . . we didn't really do anything else on our trip, except go into Cabo one night for dinner (a little too pricey for food that tasted just like the buffet) and to visit Cabo Wabo and The Giggling Marlin . . . had a lot of fun there!
Would DEFINITELY recommend this hotel to families, couples, groups, anyone! If you have any questions or would like to see more pictures, don't hesitate to 'message' me :)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank peachie324
denver colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2009

Nicest pools I have ever seen, no problem with obtaining a chair any time of the day. Grounds are very well maintained, and rooms are clean, well stocked with drinks, nicely decorated. The beach has chairs available for lounging, but there are umbrellas at all on the beach so you will fry if you spend much time lounging there. Water is alittle rough, but the 6 teenagers we had with us did go body surfing. This time of year the water is warm, and the sand is so hot you need shoes to walk on it. On the minus side the food was a notch or two below the quality of other mid price all inclusive resorts we have stayed at. You could always find something to eat, but the quality was similar to the $10.99 all you can eat in the US. Similar problem with the drinks, you you ordered anything they had to mix, there was a 50/50 chance you would take one sip and leave it. First time I have ever gone to an all incrusive resort and didn't gain weight. The 6 18 to 21 yo we had with us on the trip, who had down loaded the 5000 most popular drinks on their i-pods before the trip did enjoy the quanity and easily got their moneys worth at the bars. Did go to the Italian, Mexican, and steak restaurants, and frankly the food was not any better. Probably the Italian was the best. No problem getting a reservation for them if you showed-up by 8am to make it. You can walk to a Sam's club and Wal-mart in about 15 minutes from the resort, just don't do it mid-day, too hot. Did go into Cabo twice once at night and once during the day. Cab fare is $3 per person for a 5 minute ride, and did all your usual tourist traps. I would recommend getting a map of the downtown if you are looking for any special place. The prices charged in Cabo are similar to the US, and seem to be higher than any other Mexican destinations we have stayed at. We did rent jet skis from the vendor right in front of the hotel on the beach for $90 for two for 45 minutes. This was enough time given the water is much rougher than a lake and 20 minutes or so was enough even for teenagers. Took a water taxi to Lover's beach $10 per person, and I would recommend this, but if you are old or out of shape you maybe in for a hard time getting on and off the boats. Also it is recommended to tell the boat person when you want to be picked-up, but there is no guarantee they will show-up again since they already have your money. We told our capitan two hours and we spend about 3 1/2 hours there before finding some one to radio our boat to come get us. When you get off the boat the person helping you wants a tip, even if he did not help you. To rent a beach umbrella was $20, and to rent a mask and snokel was $10 per person. Since there appears to be one vendor on the beach they have you by the gonads, so bring every thing that you think you will need with you, or you need to bring money. The person helping you get off the boat at the resort will also want a tip too, as will the entire crew, so bring some small bills. Did go jeeping in the Baja desert with bajabora tours, and the 6 teenagers we had with us had a blast. The people riding the same trails on ATV's did not seem to be having fun in the dusty 100+ degree heat. Found a excrusion / time share vendor named Luis? who booked the deal for us . He is located in a booth along the harbor walk and has a pet chinchilla dog at his booth. He did get us a good deal, better than when I called the company myself, and did not push the time share stuff on. Paided $440.00 for about three and a half hour of jeeping. This was for 8 people, 3 Jeeps, and the guide. Did catch two of the shows and thoght they were both very good, Grease and one with native dancers. Over all I would recommend the Riu Santa Fe and rate it 3.5 out of 5 stars,if you get it for a decent price. Probably best suited for a younger crowd, without small children . There is a kid's club there, but I never saw any kids there, and the ocean is too rough for small kid's. If the food and drinks were alittle better, and the beach swimmable it would be a 5 star resort for the money

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank tllDenverColorado
Calgary, Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2009

Date: Aug1-8, 2009
Group: ages 33-37, 2 couples, 2 single females, and one 14 year old

The Riu Santa Fe was completely fine. We all enjoyed our stay with no complaints of any significance. We'd stay there again.

I stayed at the Palace a few years back and I would say the food there is better. The food at the RSF is kind of "just there" - it's not the highlight but it's fine - always something to eat even if it's not 5* dining. We did like the Mexican a la carte restaurant. Asian was fine but I wouldn't care if we had missed it.

Drinks were good. Ask for the label liquors - ie Smirnoff. But there was no table service - you always had to go to the bar yourself to get drinks. I wonder if it was a staff cutback decision (and also then lower alcohol costs maybe) due to the economy. It was a bit unusual. By the pool there was sometimes a guy that went around with a cart with beer and water but that wasn't every day. So perhaps the hotly debated thermos mugs should be considered so you can get two drinks at a time and also keep them cold....

It is a big resort. I would only stay in Building 7. It is a 5 minute walk from the lobby and main restaurant but it is the only one on the beach - so I liked being right there. It's kind of like its own separate little self-contained resort. It has 2 pool bars, one main pool, as well as its own a restaurant (although it only serves lunch and afternoon snacks). We paid extra for an ocean view and I don't really think they came through on that - we considered asking to switch to a better room but we didn't bother.. Our room had its benefit as it was closer than the public washrooms so we just popped up there when needed. Very clean. Good AC with patio door closed! Good shower pressure. Overall good.

Beach - yes the sand is coarse. Yes - I don't think there were any umbrellas on the beach (weird). Not many people sat on the beach. You can't really see the waves from where the beach loungers are coz the slope of the beach is so steep. We sat in the pool area but in the loungers that directly faced the beach. Nice view!!! Watching the cruise chips was also neat. As for the water, while I definitely agree the water is treacherous, we actually did go swimming in it this time. Be very very careful and not recommended at all for young kids. We also witnesses a water taxi capsize and throw people all over the place - nobody was hurt but it was terrifying. I wrote a separate entry in the Cabo forum about it - please take a look.

We didn't spend any time in the main pool but it was where the activities all happened.

Few things:

- bring your own alarm clock/watch as theirs seem to be possessed!
- Scuba Caribe is on site - even if you've never done it before you can try a scuba demo in the pool and then maybe book a Discovery Dive with them.
- in case you like to watch TV as you rest or if you have kids, there are a bunch of channels that were not on our TV's memory - ch43 is another music channel for when you are getting ready to go out.
- if there's more than 2 of you in a room, call for an extra bed. They are probably a bit narrower than a twin but quite comfortable. It's an actual mattress - not a fold up. No extra charge.
- bring an umbrella for the sun. Or shall I say parasol? Yes you look kind of dorky but that sun is freaking strong!! I was glad to look like a dork with my red "parasol" instead of red skin.
- the tile around the pool is hot hot hot - wear flip flops
- while we were there we figure it got as hot as 110F (43C). I used my dive watch to tell me for sure that at 5pm in the shade it was 85F (30C) - in the shade!!!!!!
- don't underestimate the power of the sun - on the first day, everyone except me got burned (we all wore sunscreen but I always sat under an umbrella!)

Activities we did:

- scuba 6x with Manta Dive and Scuba Caribe. Including the 3-tank day trip to Cabo Pulmo. Awesome!!
- trip into town to go to the market and walk around the marina
- one night to Cabo Wabo. So fun!
- we did Lovers Beach/Divorce Beach on our previous trip - also pretty cool to see for a 1/2 day
- snorkelling

Enjoy yourself!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
5 Thank luvmypuppy
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

Resort is large and spread out. Was great for us as you could walk off all of the food you ate. Staff was extremely helpful. Food was good. Specialty or a la carte restaurants were terrible - we left the asian and went to the buffet instead for made to order sushi. Collectivo stops right outside the hotel grounds for a cheap ride into Cabo. $10 return water taxi to Lover's Beach. Fitness center didn't have a lot of equipment, but it was never very busy when we were in there. Awesome mini bar in the room and the room was also clean and restocked.

The only discouraging thing I can say about the resort is we spent most of our time at the pool bar closest to Cabo and the washrooms very far away :(

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

My husband and I headed to Cabo on an anniversary celebration. A friend recommended this hotel to me and we got a great last minute deal.

Pros:
*best hotel rates in Cabo on a three day notice
*a short cab ride downtown ($10/one way)
*welcome drinks upon check-in
*well kept grounds
*the entertainment team rocks!
*if you're up for partying, join Charlie and his entertainment crew for their evening party buses - they really take care of you! For $16/person they took us downtown to 4 bars with a shot at every bar and this price included transportation
*the Miami Vices are yummy!
*Dos Equis beers and bottled water stocked in in-room fridge on a daily basis
*Average rooms – better than I expected from reading previous reviews

Cons:
*this hotel is just too, too big which affects the overall customer service
*extremely long walk from reception to sleeping rooms – I saw other negative postings in relation to this and thought people were just complaining… trust me it’s a long walk!
*the sports bar wouldn't play the NBA play-off games
*the buffets have the same food served everyday - food reminded me of a high school/hospital cafeteria.
*the food at the restaurants is similar to the buffets & more importantly, the Italian does not serve real Italian food
*cheap alcohol but it’s free!
*the pool gets nasty dirty by mid-afternoon – stay away from the ends and swim towards the middle
*the toiletries come in this ketchup style packets which means there just isn’t enough to wash your hair so bring your own from home
*the beach isn’t swimmable because the waves are incredibly rough so overall this hotel defeats the purpose of a “beach” vacation
*the spa staff is not friendly at ALL.

Tips:
*if you’re in a small party and don’t have reservations at any restaurant at RIU try walking up – we never made reservations and got a table every time!
*walk to Medano Beach and eat tacos at Tabasco's and walk a little further for some fun afternoon entertainment and a few 2-for-1 beers/drinks at Mango Deck
*if you like wine with dinner, bring your own to the RIU – there’s no corkage fee!
*have dinner at Mi Casa in town, it was possibly the best Mexican food we’ve had & we eat a lot of Mexican food!
*if you’re up for adventure, try the Cabo Adventures canopy tour – it’s a really rush (bring good sneakers!)
*everyone raves about Lover’s Beach – we thought it was nice to visit but I wouldn’t recommend spending an entire day there
*Bully’s Tacos in the Marina is incredibly yummy!

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel to friends traveling with their spouse/significant other – although I think it would be a great spring break spot for high school/college students or anyone traveling on a budget since it’s extremely affordable. It’s a great deal if you plan to eat and drink there during your stay – unfortunately for us since we personally didn’t enjoy the food or drinks it just wasn’t worth it. If we do ever head back to Cabo (which we definitely will, we love the place) we would stay somewhere on Medano Beach so we can enjoy relaxing on the beach. I loved the new ME Cabo resort – it seemed to be the “it” hotel during our visit!

Whever you decide to stay you’ll love Cabo, it’s beautiful!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank trvlbug24
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

To be honest I read all of them… ! And so I expected the worst when arriving.. The total opposite was the case and at the end I was very happy I booked this trip and choose the Riu Santa Fe. I worked in the hospitality business for 8 years and I had nothing to complain about.
We also met lots of nice people and I will never forget this trip:

A few tips and experiences

Airport:
If you don’t have a cab arranged prior to your arrival with your travel agency you can take a cab from the airport to the hotel. Everyone there will tell you it is $80 US and that the cabs are unionized or they will offer you a shuttle ($15 US per person) with a few more people in it and a little extra time involved.for the 5 minute waiting time buy a beer and drink it in the cab to prepare for your 45 minute trip.
We didn’t want to pay the $80 and hopped into the shuttle which will make 2-4 stops before arriving at the hotel.

Arrival at the hotel/ check in:
Went well, and yes, they do offer welcome drinks. A bar is set up next to the front desk, staff will walk around or you can grab it yourself.
We booked a garden view room and requested building 7 (right at the infinity pools) due to medical reasons but were told that this room type wasn’t available in building 7. We ended up getting building 3 which was perfect. Close to Restaurants and the pool area
The room was perfect, large bathroom, King bed, make sure you close the balcony door since it’s connected to the AC.
It doesnt matter if you booked 3 or 7 months in advance. The rooms will be assigned the day of arrival or night before. So everything is on request basis and nothing can be guaranteed!!!
We didn’t see any bugs etc, everything was clean, bed was comfortable as well.
The fridge was restocked whenever we called. Make sure you look everything up in the safe provided to avoid horror stories of thefts etc.

Pool area & Towels:
When checking in you will receive an envelope with maps and 2 plastic cards for your towels. You get 1 towel per person across from the swim up bar which you can exchange from 8 am until 6pm every day. At reception they missed to tell us that info so we showed up without our cards and had to walk back to our hotel room, no big deal.
There are a lot of pools but we hang out at one of the swim up bars most of the time.
When ordering drinks make sure you tell the bartenders to use brand alcohol. I noticed there is a site of no name and a site of brands. Maybe you want to wave 1 dollar notes from time to time ;O)
Only downside: they close the pools between 6(last round) and 8pm and then start putting chemicals in, so don’t go swimming after 8. The security will kick you right out 

Money, Credit Cards and ATM’s:
There is no ATM at the hotel. We brought lots of cash and paid in US Dollars or Pesos everywhere we went. They do also exchange money at the reception.
I wouldn’t recommend using your Credit Card(if, make sure you contact you credit card institute and inform them prior about your travel to Mexiko. Friends of us didn’t and couldn’t use theirs.)
Tip: NEVER run a tab! Staff in Restaurants, esp in bars will take advantage (esp of drunk people) and start billing things you never had or multiply it times 3.And you don’t want to argue with them after. Also double check your change as they give you change in dollars and pesos or sometimes just pesos.
Always check the currency rate, it can change daily but we had anything ranging from 11,12 and 13:1.

Taxis:
Airport to the hotel is either $80 US(up to 4 people) or shuttle $15 us per person
Hotel to the airport: $ 60 US (up to 4 people) (concierge will order it for you at the hotel, no pre reservation necessary) you are better off with finding more people in line and sharing a cab.
Hotel to downtown: should be $10 US (up to 4 people) over 4 they charge $3 per person.
Water Taxis: 10 dollars per person or if its not too far they will charge 6 per person ie from the marina to the office. Make sure you give them,-they will ask for it!
Just to be safe, make sure you ask the cab driver how much he charges before getting in.

Drugs & Safety:
Never buy drugs! Vendors will suddenly bring out drugs, when you are looking at their
Jewelry, hats etc. a simple “no thanks” is enough and they understand.
We went out on the weekend and we felt pretty save but I would stick with walking on the main street. Mind the dark side streets. Watch your steps(esp the ones wearing high heels)
Tip: if you are out late and getting hungry there is a Burger King and McDonalds close by all the major bars downtown;)

Food at the hotel:
Yes it is all inclusive, but you have to remember they are cooking for thousands of people every day. So don’t expect 5 star treatment and butler service.
I am a very picky eater myself but I even found something I liked every day.
Don’t bother eating at one of the Restaurants and getting up 7 am in the morning to make reservations. We heard that the food is the same as at the buffet and they don’t give a lot of options. We stayed 6 days and every night seemed to be a mix of everything. Some nights were Asian, Mexican and Italian themes.
Food was always fresh.

Breakfast was great; we had waffles and eggs every morning. The fruit juices are very
good.(try the multi vitamin)
Tip: don’t get the coffee through the server at your table.aweful. There are 2 coffee machines in the back of the restaurant (across from the waffles) that make great Cappuccino ;)
So stick with the buffet, we liked it and we had never upset stomachs or food poisoning, like other people mentioned. Maybe they had just too much to drink…

Internet:
free internet is available close to the main buffet restaurants but not in the room.

Activities:
There is so much to do.
You can get good deals with your hotel or right down at the Marina or in front of the hotel. Tip: Try to include some “Mexican minutes”, we went snorkeling and Jet ski and it was totally worth it.

So enjoy your stay and don’t let the negative reviews bother you ;O)
Cheers M. from Toronto

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#18 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,258 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,155 reviews
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#13 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,514 reviews

Been to Hotel Riu Santa Fe? Share your experiences!