“flawless experience ,great location.”

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Dorada staff was 1st class all the way. We stayed in July this year and are definately coming back next summer. Great location ,short walk to town , next to Ediths and Baja BrewingCompany. Mangoes beckons you for happy hour, where things get real interesting. The only complaint i have is the breakfast was a little weak and the Restaurant "12 tribes" was good , not great. Service was fantastic but the food was so so. Overall start to finish no complaints about the hotel or the staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank russell k

Reviewed 11 August 2011

Hubby and I traded our time share for a week at Casa Dorada Medano Beach. The resort and rooms are very lovely, and the location is great for walking to town for dinner. The only thing that will keep us from trading to this location again is the throng of vendors on Medano Beach constantly seeking your attention. You'll find yourself dizzy from your head going back and forth "no" constantly, and your face will feel like you have a permanent conciliatory smile. We purchased discount coupons from The Cabo Store for this resort and used them towards our bar bill which worked out well. We did eat breakfast there a couple of times and lunch from the bar most days, but other than that we ate downtown.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AmadorWinelover
Reviewed 11 August 2011

This was booked as an exchange through Interval International and was our first visit to Mexico. The 1 bed unit accommodation was excellent with a good size bedroom, large bathroom, lounge/living area and a small kitchenette. All units in the resort have an ocean view and as we were on one of the higher floors the sound from the pool area didn't really cause any issues.

The staff were all very helpful and the twice a day maid service was a nice change from most Interval exchanges. The location meant it was just a short walk into Cabo centre so all the amenities of the town were easily accessible.

Two minor things to look out for:

Firstly, as in a lot of resorts, they insist on playing music around the pool...if you're just looking to relax and read a book this can get annoying.

Secondly, beware the timeshare sales! They'll pounce as soon as you've checked in so be prepared to be firm if you plan on saying that you're not interested.

Overall it was a god choice for a week in Cabo and if we were to return to the area the resort would be high on our list of places to stay.

Room Tip: Try for a high floor...you'll be at the mercy of slow elevators but you're more insulated fr...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Docklander
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Just returned from a fantastic week at Casa Dorada.

if you didn't know, this is a perfect location. Can walk to town or can stay on the hotel grounds and enjoy your cabo experience. The views are awesome.

We had a beautiful room, the base Junior Suite which was just fine for the two of us. large shower/bath combo, kitchenette, dining area, small livingroom and King Bed were great (includes 2 flatscreens with plenty of cable channels). The balcony has both a table and chairs for breakfast in the room and 2 lounge chairs for evening cocktails and chilling. We were up on the 6th floor and had the best view I've enjoyed at any beach hotel....perfect view of the blue sea, lands end, the cruise ship, and all the action at the restraurants below. Nothing better than the sound of hte ocean to put you to sleep or wake you up in the morn.

my wife loved the music onthe radio upon arrival....it sounded like a tropical spa / massage soundtrack. we ended up leaving it on for the entire trip, day and nite.

We enjoyed the beach lounging each day (we can go to a pool anywhere, so we opted for the beach) and didn't have any trouble finding a nice spot with an umbrella and table or a cabana bed. Props to Martin and Caro....they provided great food and drink service from the Mayan and were always helpful and great to meet. We usually at lunch on the beach - the tacos, taquitos, quesedillas are all great. After a few days, we opted for the hamburger,,,,,was one of the best burgers ever, and I am a burger connoissur. Don't worry about the beach vendors....they are seperated by rope and you can just ignore them if not interested in bartering for their goods. It was a bit hot, but with that breeze and a dip in the sea, we always felt refreshed. Jose from the CD activity stand was a great guy to chat with and provide us with some nice deals. During our week we kayaked in the morning and took the glass bottom boat to check out the arch and great rock formations....do it.

The pool towel stand did seem to close early, but we just left our towels at the stand and had no issue with them the next day. We just told Irving or Carlos we left our towels the nite before and it was handled. no threat of paying any fee.

What I love about this location is the proximity to town. We dined at CD and enjoyed Mayan and 12 Tribes....but we also hit Sharkeys, Hacienda, Los Mariscos, Mauros, and Gardenias for lunch one day. I suggest you hang at CD for a couple of nights and hit the town for a few nites too. We also stopped at The B bar below the lobby after returning from dinner a couple times. It wasn't very crowded unfortunately, because its a great setup. But it was a great spot for a night cap. We also enjoyed sipping cocktails on the hammocks and firepits at midnight !!

The bellmen, front desk, housekeeping, concierge, and beach team were all professional, very friendly, and fun to meet with. you can expect to be treated as real guests from this crew.

We will definitely be back at Casa Dorada after this great week.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ExCali21
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Casa Dorada is a very beautiful place, located at just the right spot. We were able to walk around into town and find good hole in the walls eateries. The food at Dorada is very expensive so take alot of money if you want to eat there. The pool service is awesome. They are so friendly. Will definetly go back next summer. My family cant wait

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Jsvag
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Spend 6 days on our 1st trip to Cabo at Casa Dorada and the whole family really loved it. Prime location on Medano Beach. We were there from 7/31-8/4/11 with our 2 teenagers. Used Arturo Sánchez de la Vega Negrete, General Manager of Translobo Co. Transportation Services, Website http://translobo.blogspot.com/ as suggested by Tripadvisor travelers and we were not disappointed. Drove us in style with nice cold waters and cervezas. We actually left one of our suitcases back at the hotel and didn't notice until we arrived at the airport. Arturo thought fast and called the Hotel who put the luggage in a taxi and got it to the airport for us in time. He was an excellent tour guide as well. Highly recommend his services regardless of where you are staying.
The only complaint about Casa Dorada is the elevator was broke 2 of the days and our toilet stunk. The pool was also way too warm.
We also used the Where In Cabo grocery delivery service, on Tripadvisor's users advise, which was awesome but only had a small frig to keep stuff in and our bread went bad fast.
We also bought certificates from the Cabo Store, also on the advise of Tripadvisor users, however the Casa Dorada Certificates were no longer being honored at the hotel. The Cabo Store picked them up and credited our account.
Our favorite restaurant was Sharkey's right across the street. Did not care for Mama's Breakfast of 12 Tribes at the hotel.
We loved taking the boat taxi to Lover's Beach to snorkel at Pelican Rock. Be careful of all the boats over there though. Our Boat Taxi guy was awesome. Took us on a nice tour of seal rock and the Pacific side of Divorce Beach. He own the Crystalynne right out front of Casa Dorada and will set up anything you want. We scuba dove with Manta Scuba. Did the local spot and went to Cabo Pulmo by taxi. Two hour taxi drive set up by the shop but well worth it. Manta Scuba is awesome. Great crew and they really look out for you. We are new to scuba and felt totally secure with them. Thanks Frederick!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank cheyshe
Reviewed 7 August 2011

It's hard to give a star rating that encompasses this entire property. I'm not an owner, but if I was my star rating would be much lower. As a passer-by, it was very good and would return for a week or less.
Somehow we must have not rated as we were not greeted with the cold drinks that others were given, but the trade-off is we were NEVER approached by a timeshare salesman during our entire stay. Instead, we were greeted by a cold front desk person who informed us our vouchers purchased through the Cabo Store were no longer going to be accepted. Huh? Didn't I buy them in the guideline period as stated on the Cabo Store website? Apparently, new management at CD changed their voucher tune and forgot to tell the Cabo Store. If I was running the place, I would no doubt honor those already in circulation as good PR and it also being the right thing to do, but I'm not in charge.
We requested a high floor and that was honored. At first I was a bit leery as we were perched right over the Mango Deck and based on other reviews and a recent horrendous noise experience in Las Vegas, I was skeptical. The noise was no problem whatsoever and in fact, it added to the Cabo experience. My daughter called it the "perfect lurking room" and that it was as you could see everything going on. It was fun to play cards in the evening and watch all the Banana Boats loose their passengers out at sea, party barges head out for sunset cruises and some fireworks in the evening.
Housekeeping for the most part was adequate. We had a hard time getting more than one towel a day per person, even with tips and notes. Learned it was easier just to remove from carts sitting in the hallways. The kitchen set-up is kind of strange. We never cooked, but usually timeshares have paper towels and trash bags. The kitchen trash can in this place could literally hold 3 empty little water bottles. There is also babble in the CD handbook about absolutely NO outside food or beverage can be brought to the pool or beach area. It's a timeshare for goodness sakes!!! People stay in them for this flexibility. We "mostly" adhered to the law as we enjoyed the food around the pool and beach, but we did see many with big thermos cups and some with little coolers who never got the boot.
Location is absolutely fantastic! It was nice to go on a vacation and never need a car. It's an easy walk to town, restaurants and bus routes. Service at the pool was exceptional and we especially enjoyed Gustavo. Jose at the beach is very helpful at well. Food at both the pool and beach was amazing and felt value for price was fair. Ask for their 2 for 1 food specials at the pool as it's a good deal. The drinks 2 for 1 (other than beer) is when you need to bring down the "good stuff" from your room as they use bottom shelf booze. The Spa was so-so. For the non-owner price, it would be a ridiculous sum of money for service and facilities. I don't even think the Grand Wailea in Maui charges what this place does and that's a spa! This was more of a health club spruced up a bit with not even a blow dryer in the bathroom/shower area.
Getting a lounger at the pool or beach was never a problem until cruise ship day. Now, this is an area I would be screaming bloody murder if I was an owner. You have invested how many thousands of dollars into this place (don't know as I didn't take the tour) and pay maintenance fees and you can not get a chair because a cruiser is sitting in it. I felt very bad for the great pool/beach employees as I witnessed several squabbles on these days which they had to resolve. This is apparently a management decision to put a little more coin in the pocket at the expense of owners, guests and staff. Again, another poor managerial decision. I asked the pool guy about it and was told if they eat breakfast or something they can stay......"there are only about 60 or so here today." Only! That's a lot of extra people to absorb when the resort is booked full and the beach seating has been removed due to high waves.
As previously stated, getting seating wasn't a problem, but getting towels seemed to be. 5 of the 7 mornings, there were no towels ready. Invest in a hundred more towels or something so this isn't a problem. Which reminds me of another towel irk. The cruise ship passenger in front of me checking out towels needed to collect whatever she desired and sign for nothing. I, on the other hand, had to sign my life away and return at the end of the day for fear of being charged. Hmmmm......what's with that?
We had a one bedroom plus as I had rented from an owner. Previously to booking with an owner, I had hunted high and low for a 2 bedroom, but there were none in inventory for owners, yet they were available online from the resort. I was on a waiting list with GBS for a 2 bedroom and positioned at #1 and #2 on various lists. Nothing came available, yet a woman my husband met had rented a 2 bedroom through the resort on a spontaneous vacation 9 days before showing up. Shouldn't the owners get first dibs?
Room was spacious but we spent very little time in it. There is plenty of storage for clothing and even a lot in the living area for the pull-out sofa sleepers. The review below mine mentions air-con problems. Both of the different controls in our room did not work precisely, but if you fooled with the switches a bit you could get it to turn on (ie. place the lever between the 2 and 3, but not directly on a fan number). Hot water was slooooooowwww to come the first few days. At first, I thought it was because we were on the 6th floor and somehow it had to get all that way as I'd had a problem in Beijing on a 24th floor, but it magically came quickly by day #2, so that wasn't the problem. Near the last day, the hot water came out orange like the color of Tang. Not sure I want to know why or what that was as I was showering when my husband turned on the sink to shave and orange billowed forth. None of these things are bothering me yet as my money is still in the bank, not invested in this timeshare. Our next room issue was a bit disturbing. Around day #2, my husband notices water dripping from the ceiling near the door to the shower/toilet room. Being the engineer he is, he investigates and wants to believe it's condensation from the shower, but the ceiling is totally dry, minus the dripping. Mystery? That evening it's apparent we have friends in the Penthouse above us. Every time they turn on a sink, shower and/or flush the toilet our bedroom ceiling bangs like bongos....pipe pressure and LOUD thumping. Is our room just an anomaly or is everyone else enjoying this music? When Penthouse Agave needs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, we discover the source of our dripping. It's coming from their toilet flushing. We pray for the rest of the trip they are not inflicted with Montezuma's Revenge.
Not to squelch a timeshare hawks deal, but if you are potentially buying here....LOOK deep! Notice the hundreds of pool tiles missing from the pool already. Notice the black mats in the pool protecting people from holes at the bottom. Notice the overall poor construction. Stay a week or more and investigate from top to bottom before you lay money at their doorstep. For a vacation with no strings.....have fun!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family