“Fantastic Stay”

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Reviewed 28 August 2009

We travel with 5 children from the age of 3y to 19 years. We also usually travel with my sister's family, our mother and our day care provider. So, all in all, there is usually a group of 10-12 of us. Having said that, I do not think any of us have a complaint regarding this property. Initially when I tried to book this hotel I was told I couldn't book there unless I was a time share owner. I am, of another property, but obviously needed many rooms. They referred me to a marketing company (GBS International) and they got us in on a promo rate. I noticed as the vacation date approached they opened it up for anyone. I would venture to say the economy and swine flu had influence on this.

Rooms:
The rooms were gorgeous, spacious, clean, modern and accommodating. The beds were comfortable, flat screens, large shower, oversized jetted tub and kitchens. If I am not mistaken, every room has an ocean view. Great, great rooms.

Grounds:
The grounds were clean as well. The pool was great. There was a large landing area for smaller children and plenty of room for others to roam. It is not massive, but at the same time this is a time-share property and it was never over crowded while we were there. There is a swim-up bar, but adults only. The restaurants and bars are easy to get to The food was pretty good.

Staff:
Very accommodating. Friendly.

Beach Location:
This property has the best location on the beach if you like activities and fun. Once you exit the secured grounds you enter the beach at the area that is lined with water activities, restaurants, bars, etc. It is very upbeat and fun. One bar was similar to a Carlos and Charlies with music and drinking games. The food on this strip of the beach was cheaper than the food at the hotel and it was really good. We ate at several different restaurants and really didn't have any complaints.

Sales:
If I complained it would be about the high pressure sales. We knew we had to attend a time share presentation as a part of our promo. When we were done we had all the information and told our sales guy were had to think and talk about it in private. We went back several times for clarification on the deal they offered and even spoke to several different managers through the process. We made it clear we do not drop money like that without thinking about it first. We were about 90% certain we were going to go for it, but had one more incentive that we needed clarification on. I approached my salesman and was going to explain to my husband when he (salesman) looked at me and said if I do not sign right now the deal he offered is no longer good. I asked him if he was sure and he said, "yes." I walked off and no sale. Never considered it again after that. I had 6 days left of my stay, so I am not sure why I had to make my decision on the spot. He just kept telling me that most people make their decisions on the spot and if I walk away he knows I won't buy. Well, I guess I am not most people. We were almost there. I do want to say, after that the sales force never messed with me again. So, good to know they don't hunt you down day after day and drive you nuts!

All in all, this hotel was fantastic. It is a smaller, more private property than the typical large resorts. I loved it!!!

Stayed: July 2009
Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed 27 August 2009

I read reviews for every hotel in Cabo before choosing Casa Dorada and so was expecting an exceptionally beautiful hotel in a lovely romantic setting but that is NOT how I would describe it. The hotel is nice and the setting is pretty but as beach hotels go it is nothing extra special. It is however a good value for the price. I paid $169 over July 4th weekend. The hotel was booked up so we received no upgrade even though I expected it to be empty because of the swine flu scare. The room was comfortable and roomy. No complaints there. It is a time share hotel and I had no intention of sitting for a presentation however I was asked if I wanted a "free breakfast or free whatever" which is really a come on for the time share pitch about every 5 minutes over the weekend. The hotel workers, the cab drivers, guides at the airport, the activity booth attendants on the beach, etc, etc. and even the information booth workers in the city as we walked to restaurants ALL pitched us. it was beyond annoying after the 100th time. It is not this way at every hotel but at this one - be prepared. This is also not a quiet romantic setting because the very small private beach outside the hotel is surrounded by about 6 beach bars all right next to each other. They are fun with good drinks and food and music but it makes for a loud and raunchy atmosphere. One bar (Mango Deck) has a DJ conducting drinking games on a microphone all day. This is quite entertaining but if you want quiet and romantic, don't stay here. Perfect for someone who wants to drink and party all hours. The best thing about the hotel was the location. We walked into Cabo for some terrific meals. Mama's for breakfast is a MUST! Get the french toast for an incredible treat. Maro's shrimp house - a good value and GREAT seafood! We ate outside of the hotel as much as possible and were not disappointed by the wonderful Cabo restaurants. I would not recommend hiring a shuttle to this hotel. We used Trans Cabo and stopped at so many hotels that it took us an hour to get to ours. This hotel does not allow shuttles for the return to the airport so we took a cab which was worth the additional cost.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We just got back from staying a few days at this resort, it came highly recommended from this site so we thought we would stay there for a few days then move elsewhere.

We booked online through their web site and got a one bedroom. Check in was smooth, we were early and they had our room ready. Once we were giving the keys we were giving to the time share folks, there were about four of them licking their chops. I simply said we were only here for a few days and had no interest at all in buying a timeshare. Without being pushy they respected our wishes and that was the last we heard from them. We were giving room 625 which had a wonderful view of the arch and the entire bay.

The room we had was very well appointed and probably one of the better rooms we ever stayed in, nothing to complain about here everything was perfect. Loved the two balconies and the bedroom was very comfy.

The pools were both nice although one of them is suffering from many missing tiles; they are going to fix this. They keep it very clean and the loungers and service around the pool was excellent. At night the bottom of the pool has some cool light that look as if they dance around, nice.

The pool bar made good drinks and to my surprise were very reasonable in cost, 2x1 most of the day. Also the shrimp nachos were killer as were some of the other dishes you could get, again very reasonable in cost. I think the place was running perhaps about 40% occupancy when we were there.

Our room included a free breakfast buffet in the morning and while nothing fancy it served us well and the service was great, I think the all around great service here was because they had so many workers and so few guests.

We did not eat at 12 Tribes but it looked very nice. Fact is the entire property is well maintained and very clean. But there are some things we did not like which IS NOT in the resorts control.

Once you go to the beach from the pools you are immediately hounded non-stop by tour operators, their own timeshare people, and beach vendors. For this reason alone we did not venture often to the beach. It is swimmable but SO noisy because of Mango Beach club. Now we went to Mangos a couple of times and it was a fun place if you are into games and crazy things but again you are hounded by vendors even while sitting with your drink. Another thing is this place stayed loud until midnight every night. And while we could not hear it in our room you could while sitting out on the balcony at night,

One night they had a rock band on the beach and they were very good, this was one of our favorite things about our stay, I real beach party that many folks were truly having fun at.

It was a short 8 minute walk to the marina from the resort but on the way you are stopped and hassled by other Timeshare folks as you walk past their condos and again vendors. Once at the mall at the Marina then you have more vendors and restaurant people getting in your face to come eat at their place, which sucked. Even small children were peddling crap. For this reason alone we would not return to the marina area. I forgot how many times we were offered drugs,

Again none of these things are in the control of the resort but I did not want to stay locked in the place all day either, Step outside of it and be prepared. I would recommend the place for a quality resort close to the action, I would never return however because of the noise and feeling as if you have to stay in the fortress not to be harassed, I guess this is Cabo.

I have included some nice pics of the place.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Surfnorthwest
Reviewed 25 August 2009

Thank You Casa Dorada Los Cabos for another outstanding Family trip. The Service and Facilities are Top Knotch in everyway. Paco, Juan, Claudio you guys are the Best !!!!
Your Hard Work and Dedication to your guest is much appreciated !!
We really enjoyed the 12 Tribes this year, as we had not gone the previous year. Meals were all good and the views are Breathtaking. Looking forward to our next trip !!

The Millers6

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2009

When we arrived, we were greeted with smiles and open arms. There were some special requests made, all of which were accommodated without problem. It is gorgeous, romantic, relaxing and exciting, all rolled into one! One of my friends was injured(his own fault) and they had a doctor come upstairs and he was a-OK in a matter of minutes! When I got home I noticed that I left behind a few things in the room. Miriam let me know that they had it and would send it to me without a problem! Most places I have been to would have either threw it out or kept it for themselves, which is why I recommend ANYONE going there and I assure it will not disappoint. We were a group of 10 and everyone was thrilled beyond belief. Lastly, there was not an abundance of time share sellers harassing you which made me feel comfortable. Thanks Casa, loved every minute of it!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2009

The rooms, ground and all facilities were beautiful, clean and well maintained. I was most impressed by the service and the committment of the staff to make my stay as pleasant as possible. The food was also very good. It was family oriented and my 14 year old son had a great time and I was comfortable with letting him roam around on his own. I will definitely go back again and again!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I absolutely love it, the hotel is beautiful and the service is unlike anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple