“Nice accomodations”

Ranked #16 of 70 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
san francisco, ca
“Nice accomodations”
Reviewed 28 June 2010

Stayed at week at Casa Dorada and found the hotel to be very nice. The staff is terrific---very accomdating and friendly. Its a time-share place, so you may get a little pressure to buy if you're there a while. Nice pool and spa, the rooms are nicely appointed and very clean and comfortable. The beach is OK---a bit crowded and noisy due to the proximity to some loud bars and water taxi/jet ski landings. The restaurant on site is pretty good, with a nice view of the beach.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I went to the Casa Dorada and when we attempted to check in we were told by the manager that there was a glitch in their reservations system and the hotel has accidently been overbooked. They instructed us that they could accomodate us at one of their sister properties. We'll never stay there again and wouldn't reccomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank dennisgiblin
Santa Maria, California
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Casa Dorada gives you the best of everything. You can walk to the marina and the mall, the most famous restaurant in Cabo, "The Office" is a mere 15 SECOND walk out the back door, the pool bar chef will cook YOUR catch for you to enjoy right there with your friends and drinks poolside, the spa is amazing and the staff is eager to please. The rooms are spacious, well appointed and impeccably clean. We have stayed here a couple of times and are looking forward to our next trip back to Cabo and Casa Dorado.

Texas
Reviewed 22 June 2010

I had the good fortune of treating myself to a 3 hour spa and massage at this excellent resort. The steam room, sauna, and other amenities within the spa were simply perfection! I was able to watch a world cup soccer match while relaxing in the jacuzzi. The full-body (50-minutes) combination massage with an outstanding LMT made the treat to myself worthwhile. To end the afternoon, I had lunch at the poolside restaurant. The service was impeccable. Look forward to this awesome experience again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 5 June 2010

By far one of the best resorts in one of the best Mexican vacation destinations! I was a fan the moment I walked in and heard Madonna's Ray of Light playing!!!

FIVE STARS:
•The hotel has exceptional staff and service. Leslie at the front desk was an angel and got was the most perfect suite. Andre was the hottest, sweetest and friendliest of all! (I was having serious difficulty with my Spanish and accidently spoke French to him and to my surprise he spoke back perfect French!). And the lovely Marisol was a godsend!! Not only did she arrange a private boat tour for us but we also just hung out with her and told jokes and had TONS of fun.

•The rooms were also excellent. We got #528! Amazing views. Well equipped 1-bedroom with separate living room, kitchenette, 2 TVs, double vanity bathroom, giant shower, giant jacuzzi, giant furnished terrace, and a giant plush bed.

•Casa Dorada's location can't be beat! Right on calm, swimmable Playa Medano and right in the heart of Cabos. We walked everywhere!! The marina, shopping malls, downtown, restaurant row, El Squid Roe are all but a 5-10minute walk. However, some may not enjoy the music pumping from Mango Deck or the next door ME Hotel from like 10am to 10pm. Although it's not that bad and practically non-existent inside your room.

The most important aspects of any hotel were highly satisfied by Casa Dorada. They can't do much better. However, with the spas and restaurants, a bit was left to be desired. We had dinner at 12 Tribes and not only were the portions small but they just weren't that good and, I hate to even mention it, but a cockroach ran across the floor while we were eating. Granted it's outside but STILL!!! EEEEEEWW!!! Needless to say I didn't eat there anymore.

Also the whole timeshare thing. I understand they need to make sales, it's a business. But once someone says NO, that should be enough! Thankfully, I made myself clear and wasn't bothered after the initial check-in sales pitch but others weren't so lucky.

Regardless of the two small hickups, I would return to Casa Dorada every time I return to Cabos! It was truly a memorable holiday!

TIPS:
Do try The Office once for breakfast, quite good.
Also, be sure to make reservations for Ediths at least 2 days in advance!!!!!!!!
Forgo Cabo Wabo and the Gigglin Marlin, they suck!! Squid Roe was awesome!!
Do shop at Luxury Ave, good sales and DUTY FREE Hermes, Fendi, Ferragamo, Cartier!
Do eat at Thats Amore!
Grab coffee and a hookah at stylish and funky Fumari Lounge.

1 Thank jlessner
GM_Casa_Dorada, General Manager at Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Dear jlessner,

We want to thank you for your positive comments and great feedback! As other reviewers have mentioned, the size and décor of our rooms, the location of the property in the heart of Cabo San Lucas and on one of its few swimmable beaches and the service and attention of our staff, has –we perceive– made Casa Dorada one of Cabo’s favorite vacation spots.

I am very sorry for your negative experience at 12 Tribes. We are VERY thorough and exhaustive on our pest control programs and have had impressively few issues during these two years of operations. Nevertheless, I presume that being so close to the beach and other gardened areas may increase the exposure of this restaurant. Rest assured that we have indicated our Maintenance Department to increase the periodicity and constancy of our pest-control program, as of today.

Thank you again for your comments and suggestions.

Victor Gomez
Casa Dorada Resort & Spa
Oklahoma city
Reviewed 4 June 2010

A little background about us... My husband and I are in our mid 30's and travel quite a bit. Among other places, I have been to Mexico 4 times in the past year (Cozumel, Playa---twice, and Cabo). This was our first time to Cabo and we traveled with another couple our same age. We chose Casa Dorada mostly because of the Tripadvisor reviews about the location. We were looking for a non-inclusive resort in a great location where we can walk to restaurants and be in the middle of the action. We like to drink while we are on vacation also, so when you read my review, keep that in mind. :)

Ok, onto the pros and the cons....

Pros:
1.Loved our room! We had a large suite with a full size kitchen and living room, a huge and comfortable (great for Mexico!) bed and a large whirlpool tub. Very nice and Very quiet. We upgraded for an extra $50 a night for this room when we checked in. We stayed on the quiet side of the resort. Our friends stayed on the opposite end, and they said they could hear the music from the Mango Deck at night. Make sure and request the side away from the Mango Deck unless you like to hear thump thump through the night. ;)
2.Loved the Spa! I had a facial and a combo massage and loved both of them. They treated me very well and I was very very relaxed! Had a steam room, a sauna, a hot tub and a cold tub as well.
3. Food we ordered at the pool was great! Had breakfast every morning at the resort (downstairs by the beach--don't know the name) and it was excellent. $16 for all you can eat. Best fresh squeezed juices!
4. Other vacationers we met at the resort were so nice and we had a very nice time getting to know fellow travelers and their stories. At the end of the day and before dinner, we would get in the hot tub with a bunch of people and have the best time drinking and talking to people.
5. Location of the resort is the best around. You walk down the steps of the resort toward the beach and there are beach bars lined up one after another. All kinds of water taxis, wave runners, and activities at your disposal. Tons of venders (We said "no gracias" about a hundred times! pretty annoying) It was interesting to us that when you are at the resort pool you don't hear or feel any of the "spring break" vibe but once you walk out of the resort and on the beach, it's a whole different feel! Lots of action on the beach (and not much action at the resort----see my con on this)
We walked about 10 minutes or so to the Marina. Restaurant central! Very fun! You can either walk there via beach (which is a beautiful sunset walk) or by the streets. We might be more on the paranoid side of things, but we didn't feel super safe walking back late at night on the streets. The streets aren't all that well lit. We never had any problems, but it did make us a little bit nervous.
6. Never got bothered by the time share folks. We checked in on a monday at 12:00 (check-in is normally 3:00). I don't know if it is because it's off season, a monday and before normal check-in, but we were never once bothered by Time share reps. Never even saw them.
7. Very very clean! Beautifully kept.
8. Felt very safe.
9. Fitness center has pretty decent equipment... 3 or so ellipticals and 3 or 4 treadmills all with individual tv screens. Weights. See Con list for other remarks about fitness center.

Cons:
1. Not much action.... The resort was very "ho hum" as far as any entertainment or any action of any kind. The pool was very boring. No one was at the swim up bar and nobody was partying at all. Not that I need the partying, but there wasn't any kind of fun vibe at all. It was very zen, relaxing. We pretty much napped at the pool because it was pretty lame. Granted it is the end of May, but I was surprised by the lack of partying which leads me to my next con....
2. Terrible and I mean terrible bar/drink service at the pool! There is virtually no waiters, waitresses at the pool. We had to beg for someone to come bring us beers. We ended up buying beers by the bucket because they just would never come around. Probably why my # 1 Con is happening. If it was an all-inclusive resort, I might understand why they don't want to serve many drinks, but we are PAYING for our drinks. You would think the management would have a herd of waiters by the pool to serve drinks since it's a huge money maker. If you are looking for a party atmosphere, this is not your resort, but if you are looking for a relaxing resort where you can choose to go to the beach for the party, then Casa Dorada is perfect for that. We just couldn't get over the terrible pool side service.
***an exception to this are two stand-out employees. Alma was our waitress one day and was excellent. The pool concierge, Pacho or Pablo?, was great but we only saw him one day (our last day).
3. Fitness center was a Sauna. We worked out almost every day of our trip and the workout room was SOOOO HOT!

Overall, we had a great trip! We loved Casa Dorada for a relaxing and beautiful resort with a great location. Disappointed in the party atmosphere, but at least we got lots of R&R! If you have any questions about Casa Dorada, please feel free to contact me. :)

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BlondieOklahomaCity
Dear BlondieOklahomaCity,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and abundant review! We are very pleased to know that most aspects of your stay were to your satisfaction and that the room’s size and appointment, the services and facilities at the Saltwater Spa, quality of food & beverage and property’s location, met or exceeded your expectations. Great!

As per the cons:

1. We understand that our pools are not the most 'partiesque' in Cabo; nevertheless, most of our guests –of all ages– like and value that… specifically since Medano Beach, packed with a fun, vibrant and festive atmosphere, is just outside our gates. As a matter of fact, it has come to our attention through different forums that many travelers choose Casa Dorada, amongst other things, for this particular fact: it gives them the opportunity to have a more relaxed mood which they compensate with the party of Medano Beach and visits to the pool of our neighboring (and sister) property, Me Cabo.
2. We are very, truly sorry for the subpar service received at the pool. We apologize and, as of today, we have increased our staffing level at this vital area.
3. We are working to solve a problem with air conditioner supply to the gym area. I am sure that within a couple of weeks, it will be permanently solved.

Thank you again for your preference and for your honest feedback!

Victor Gomez
Casa Dorada Los Cabos, Resort & Spa
San Francisco
Reviewed 1 June 2010

We just returned from a week at the Casa Dorado and what a wonderful experience. The location is dynamite - just a short walk into town, a few minutes from great restaurants like Peacock's, Edith's and more. The hotel is beautiful and elegant from the room furnishings to the great deck lounge chairs. The service is the best feature though. We were upgraded to a one bedroom suite with a fantastic view. Everyone on the staff is amazing - warm and helpful to the nth degree. Lesley at the front desk is so welcoming, Arturo also. Alejandro in the B Lounge and his beautiful partner were so great. The concierge was so helpful; he gave me great dinner ideas and made reservations for us. Hydy (sic) is the best! She cheerfully went over every feature of our room, and gave us that beautiful smile every time we saw her during the week. The ONLY negative of this location is the noise from the Medano Beach Club and the Mango Deck bar. Someone seriously needs to take the microphones away from the guys in these two clubs. But they quieted down pretty early in the evening so that helped. The Casa Dorado is truly a special destination and I can't wait to return.