“VERY nice hotel - read on...”

Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Cabo San Lucas
Homer Glen, Illinois
“VERY nice hotel - read on...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

Just back from a Christmas trip to Cabo. The is a very nice hotel. The staff was very attentive, the facility wonderful and very clean!. It is a smaller hotel which makes the pool experience quite nice. Very nice rooms overlooking the water. A short walk to downtown Cabo San Lucas which we liked very much. A few notes: the hotel is very expensive. Also, the cruise ships park near the resort so some days your view is blocked a bit. A portion of the beach is "shared" with a few bars and a resteraunt. Think I would enjoy it even more in the off season.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

I've just finished a week long vacation with my family and overall we were very happy with our experience at Casa Dorada.

LOCATION: Casa Dorada is by far the nicest of the hotels on Medano Beach, which is a very lively, party-atmosphere area just 5 minutes away from downtown Cabo and the Marina. While we knew that resorts such as Capella, Esperanza and Las Ventanas had higher ratings then Casa Dorada, we chose to be where the action is and got exactly that! Casa Dorada is in a fantastic location, very close to restaurants, bars and the best nightlife in Cabo. With that said, one huge perk to Casa Dorada is that unlike all other hotels on Medano Beach, Casa Dorada has an elevated pool area and does not allow tourists not staying at the the hotel to use the pool. This was fantastic b/c it meant that the pool was never crowded and was very relaxing!

SERVICE: Overall we were extremely happy with the service at the hotel, and rather unhappy with the management. The maids and pool attendants were the best of any hotel we have ever stayed at. However, the hotel management was fairly horrible -- We had reserved a two-bedroom suite on a high floor on the left side of the hotel (to avoid the loud music from the 2 bars that are in front of the right-wing of the hotel). Our travel agent made this reservation over 6 months ago. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were given one of the worst rooms on the property -- it was a ground floor room right next to the only bar inside of the hotel and right behind the main pool area. When we went to the manager to request a new room he told us that there was nothing he could do and to just deal with it. He was unapologetic, unhelpful, and very rude. We then offered to upgrade to a bigger room or even a penthouse (and thus pay a lot more) but were told that there were absolutely no rooms left. I should mention that when we were at the front desk asking for a room change there were about 4 other parties also complaining -- some of whom didn't even receive the type of room they reserved. We then called our travel agent, who is the VP of one of the biggest travel agencies in the U.S. She made a few phone calls and we were moved the next day - obviously there were rooms available. As a graduate of Cornell's Hotel school I know how important customer service is and how effective management should deal with unhappy guests (especially those who are paying thousands of dollars) and was shocked by how the manager initially treated us. Luckily this problem was quickly resolved for us and we were happy for the rest of our stay. In defense of the hotel, there was a few celebrities staying at the resort (including Paris Hilton who was filming scenes at the pool and had annoying paparazzi following her around) who likely requested rooms at the last minute.

FOOD - The food at the pool was simple but always great. We found 12 Tribes (the main restaurant at the hotel) to be disappointing. Instead I would recommend Edith's (which is a 30 second walk from the hotel), the restaurant at Esperanza, Pithayas (at the Sheraton) and the restaurant at Cappella.

SPA -- The gym is extremely tiny and is not air conditioned and thus was uncomfortable. I recommend running on the beach instead. The Spa was very nice and the massages were great!

INTERNET -- Unlike many other reviewers on this site, wee did not experience any problems with the wi-fi connection. In order to access the wi-fi you have to disable your AirPort (on a Mac) and then turn it back on -- this is the only way to be assigned an IP address. Otherwise my laptop would run on a self-assigned IP address and have spotty coverage. However, as long as you follow this process there shouldn't be any problems.

ENTERTAINMENT -- We were at the resort for NYE and attended the "Barefoot Formal" that the hotel put on. It was a 4 course dinner on the sand and featured performances by Dancing with the Stars and American Idol contestants. Overall it was a great event and the hotel did a fantastic job putting it together and ensuring a memorable NYE! We also golfed, swam with the dolphins and did many other activities, all of which were planned by Emma at the concierge desk (in coordination with our travel agent). Emma and everyone else at the concierge desk were fantastic and did a superb job of planning activities for us!!

2 Thank Kimmy028
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

We own time share here and in fact are staying here right now during Christmas, New Years for 2 weeks. Once they have your money good luck getting the kind of room you actually paid for...and we are not the only people with this problem either.

Also my wife had a fall on their makeshift beachfront walkway and ended up with a badly sprained ankle. Do you think any of the staff that stood 10 feet away came to our aid as she laid on the ground for 5 minutes? The answer would be no, they did not.

When we called the hotel manager to try and get some medical assistance 3 times while we waited in our room do you think the hotel manager ever called us back....No he did not. finally I had to go downstairs get a wheel chair and wheel my wife to the front desk in order to get anyone to even acknowledge that we had a problem.

After waiting for 1/2 a day for some medicine a brace and crutches in our room we finally gave up I again wheeled her downstairs and about 4 hours later her stuff finally arrived.

Since their haphazard placement of materials caused us to lose at a minimum 4 days of our vacation, do you think they offered any type of compensation for our inconvenience, pain and suffering due to their faulty property? Nope not anything at all.

It has been 3 days since this happened and the manager has never even spoken to us yet. Customer service in this place is probably the worst I have ever seen, and We travel a lot so that is quite a statement.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
9 Thank avidinternetuser
South San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2010

Well, I read all of the reviews and I must say that based on those we booked three rooms here for the week of Christmas, not an inexpensive trip, two junior suites and a one bedroom suite. Let's start with what is good - the rooms are wonderful large and cool.
Now let's go with the really dificult to tolerate:
1) Location, equals noise, the hotel sits right on the beach, great? Right? Not so fast, what sits right in front of the hotel are acutally: three or four bars - which begin blaring and I mean thumping music out early in the morning - walls shaking, when the walls are done shaking you think ohhh I will go sit out on this beautiful balconey
2) Balconey is a problem,open your doors to the beautiful view and everything on you and in your room begins to smell of cooking grease which is wafting through the recirculating air vents from the restuarants below
3) Open the doors to the balconey hear the sound the ocean to lull you to sleep?? Huh, nope, when the beach bars close, the high rise late night bars/disco's, etc get going across the street. Along the front of the hotel are also several 'watersport' vendors - this means that the jet-skis are making more noise - oh and did I mention the boat loads of cruise ship patrons that make their way to all of this - on and off of the little boats
4) Ok, warm hot tub after a long day of searching for a lounge chair? Nope, hot tub is COLD
5) Hot shower, nope, no hot water or intermintent hot water
6) Nice fluffy towels to cuddle in, uh, that would be no again - you are supposed to leave dirty towels on the floor to be replaced - hmmmm, maybe one clean towel, NO hand towel, NO washcloth
I am so excited to be leaving this place and will never return. We are moving to a hotel where the balcony doors can be opened, the ocean air is sweet, and the calm that is Mexico at its finest is finally allowed to enter our lives

11 Thank bcos227
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

I would have rated this a five if not for a couple of exceptions.
Pro's - great location, room, view, beach, pools, beach front service, pool side service, all of the attendants customer service, reliable weather, proximity of activities, parasail, jet ski, paddle boards, kayaking, sports bar, the office beach cafe, other Mendano beach resorts all w/in short walking distance.

Neutral - beach is nice, sand is course, water has a bit of a tug though it is marked with buoys and monitored; the beach front is a mobile persian bazaar, lots of merchants advertising their items, I didn't find it intrusive as there is a roped off area separating the resorts guests from the beach merchants; the timeshare sharks didn't bother us at all, they knew from the outset we weren't interested and never bothered us again. Check-in was uneventful, indifferent check in person, no cold drinks that I've read about elsewhere...

Opportunities - the spa gym is adequate but not consistent with this class of resort, it lacked stretch mats, had one exercise ball but could easily add more balls, bands, straps, etc. The gym is shoehorned space and that is unfortunate. The spa attendants were all attentive. There was some issues with ceiling noise right above our room, which we reported on a couple of occasions - it took some persistent negotiation but I believe an equitable outcome was achieved; the 12 natives restaurant was mixed. The Russian salmon dish was not good and would not recommend it. I would not recommend the Painted Ridge wine either, though it was the lowest price point Cabernet. Regarding Wi-Fi, it simply was unreliable and poor. The only option was to go across the street to the resort there which had very responsive Wi-Fi. It is a complete mystery to me how in this day/age a modern resort can't get Wi-Fi right. Set up a network repeater on top of 12 Natives that can relay signals to all of the rooms and pool areas all within direct line of sight!

I have a couple of suggestions about customer service that can differentiate this resort from others and that is follow up and professionalism. Example: when we raised the issue of disruptive noises from the room above us we were told it would be looked into. The noise issues persisted on follow on evenings, even to the point that my daughter went upstairs and knocked on the door of the suspect room to report our concerns. When I spoke with the customer service rep of Casa Dorado they expressed surprise that the issue had persisted since we hadn't called back on the subsequent nights. I explained that one thing a superior resort can do from a service perspective is to follow up, proactively, with the guest (us) to make sure the problem has been resolved - as opposed to waiting for the guest to complain again. Another opportunity for follow up had to with the activities desk. On one occasion I called the activities desk to check availability of a Cabo Adventure called Outdoor Adventure. I never received a reply call so gave up on the idea. My kids did Wild Canyon a few days later but that was organized in person at the activities desk. Regarding professionalism, my wife/daughter when discussing the ceiling noise issue with 2 customer service reps observed a few moments when the two staff had a very animated exchange with each other in Spanish. This behavior was explained to me as acceptable, normative behavior and was not 'tense'. I said from a customer perspective every one of the staff is the 'face' of the resort and conveys impressions, cultural norm or not. I suggested that such an exchange should probably be taken 'off-line' and not in front of the customer.

Overall, if we travel to Cabo we would likely stay here again and would recommend it to others.

2 Thank cycle5151
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2010

I have stayed in lots of places, and I have never found a resort as beautiful as Casa Dorada. We swim every day, and lay on the beach and drink Margarita's. Our grandchilden love the pool and the kids club. Our older kids who are in their 20's found the rooms incredible - the room service was amazing (we left quite a mess for them to clean up each day) the food was excellent, and the staff was friendly and helpful. A 20 minute water taxi to Lover's Beach, a 10 minute stroll downtown to Starbucks, and a 10 minute cab ride to Cabo Wabo - for some late night partying. The weather was perfect every day. It's quiet on the resort at night - but all of your nightime entertainment isn't far. The beds are super comfortable, and the views are incredible. MY FAVORITE PLACE TO BE!!!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2010

My wife and I stayed and enjoyed this resort. However, upon check in, the front desk personnel did not introduce the resort to us or gave us direction to our room. We needed to ask several people to locate the elevator, the location of the suite, and restaurants in the resort. The suite is nice and clean, but no towels were available. We also subscribed to wireless Internet, which did not work for the first three days. Other than these issues,the resort was very nice and close to the marina.

• Stayed October 2010
GM_Casa_Dorada, General Manager at Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 November 2010
Dear davidlin24,

We are sorry for the lack of service that you experienced at check-in. As per our brand standards, all guests should be escorted to their rooms by a bell-person; this enables us to showcase the property and explain its services and facilities as well as all the room’s features. It does happen nowadays with increasing frequency that clients with wheeled suitcases choose not to be accompanied by hotel staff, thus doing away with the introduction of the property.

We are glad that everything else was to your satisfaction!

Victor Gomez
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#31 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 6,414 reviews

Been to Casa Dorada Los Cabos Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!