“Cabo Deep Blue Diving”

Los Cabos Deep Blue
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I am probably one of the worst people to have walk into your shop. I worked in the dive industry too long,have probably been diving way too much and hate diving with other people. Truth be told I am very critical about the diving experience as a whole. I have held divers hands for way too long to do it on vacation--I am here to dive and take photos, not be subject to a brand new OW diver 3 days after your 2 day dive class.

With that being said, I can honestly say that my three days of diving with Cabo Deep Blue were excellent. I highly recommend the shop and diving there to anyone who is very comfortable with their skills, is relatively independent and understands that you are diving in Mexico, and not some place in the states. Small boats are the norm, great staff, welcoming-yet no frills atmosphere in the shop.

You will have boats overhead on every dive. Leaving the docks is almost comical, bordering on insane, and for someone that is used to the US way of doing things... You will cringe. Need an 02 kit and AED on the boat for every dive? Stay in the US.

Like anything else, ask before you go, be informed and don't blame your experience on your inability to communicate. My girlfriend emailed Oscar up to the day we got there. When we got to the hotel, we checked in and walked over to the shop. Oscar and crew were waiting for us, boat, tanks and gear ready to go, on our schedule. I cannot say enough about how friendly the staff was, and how well it went.
Mexico is not the first place a brand new diver should go. However, If you need the extra attention, I am confident Oscar would arrange a guide to personally take you diving.

There are newer reviews for Los Cabos Deep Blue

Reviewed 1 August 2011

The dive shop is located on the ground floor of the hotel Wyndham/Tesoro. It is easily accessible, but our preference has always been to stay at that hotel which makes diving a whole lot easier.

The dive shop is well organized and had brand new equipment. While I travel with some of my equipment (wet, mask, reg, comp) , the airlines made it such that it gets costly if you bring it all. Like Oscar, the owner, would say: "No Worries". They'll have great equipment for your diving. If you bring your own, they'll take care of it while you're having you cerveza/margarita... As a side note, they also have Nitrox available for your diving if you give them a head's up the day before.

Deep blue uses small boats, not cattle boats here. Much better experience with a small group! On some of our dive day, there was just the boat capitain, the DM and us two. The biggest group we had was 5 divers even on cruise ship days. If the groups get too big, they'll split them up on different boats.

The fees are pretty much the same across all dive shops in Cabo: what makes the difference is the quality of the equipment, service and staff. We've made our choice and been with Deep Blue on both our visits to Cabo. On our next visit it will be Deep Blue again.

When is a good time to go diving ?
The first time we went diving there, it was in February. While the weather and water is cooler, there is lots of whales and sea lions. The viz is good. One of the most enjoyable dive we had was with the sea Lions.
The second time was in July, the water and weather was much warmer. Some were diving without a wet suit but I always prefer a thin wetsuit so I'm comfortable all dive longs and it protects against the jelly fishes. It was the wet season, so the visibility was not ideal and the marina was close for 3 days. The days we did get out, there was plenty of fish and the sun was out.

1  Thank andrep1
Reviewed 28 June 2011

We took a trip to Cabo because we heard the diving was awesome... the best diving in the world... etc. It was me my wife and two teenage girls.

First of all, the cost of diving in Cabo is very expensive, escpecially for what you get. You aren't going out on some yacht with 5 star facilities, lounge, bathroom, sun deck, etc. It is a boat that has the ability to hold 6-8 people and that is about it.

However, Oscar was a nice guy to work with and his rates were similar to everyone else. His equipment is OK, very well used. Not state of the art, but the got air to you.

Our dive sucked.... We had originally planed multiple dives on multiple days, but after the first one, we said forget this.... The water was terrible..... visibility was 5-7 feet, water temperature was about 58 degrees and there was nothing exciting about it.

Yes, we did do 1 dive, but the price we paid for 1 day was way too much.

I can't say that this dive shop is any better or any worse than others. I can just say Oscar was nice, spoke English and the event was average at best.

When booking dives, don't pre-pay for them. Negotiate the price and pay when you are done.

1  Thank viper19692
Reviewed 8 May 2011

Just Returned from Cabo and Dove three Days with Baja Dive this was one of the best experence's Diving I ever had.The trip started out with a 8:00am pick up from our Hotel after a short ride to the Dive Shop Located in the Wyndham Cabo San Lucas conveniently located in the Cabo Marina.We were greeted by Dee and Carla the owners who were very helpfull in explaining all the Different Dive sites so we could make a good Decision as where to make our first Dive.This was very important because we had not dove in three years and wanted to take it easy on the first Day.
Carlos then gave us a free refresher course to assure we were ready to Dive.After the class we were fitted in our gear it was all new and fit great.The crew loaded all the gear on the boat and we headed off to Pelican rock. By the time we arrived there the Dive Crew had all the gear set up and ready to go.Getting on and off there big Boat was a breeze with a big ladder and lots of help from the Capt. we felt pamperd and a ease.
The Dive s were great lots of fish and calm clear water.I have never seen a more attentive Dive Master.On A scale of 1 to 10 baja Dive gets a 12

1  Thank verquin
Reviewed 9 March 2011

First dive shop to dive with in Cabo, the Owner Oscar is a nice guy know doubt. But Beware when you go out to the Gordon Banks. I was by myself diving with two new open water divers. We took the two hour ride out to the Gordon Banks. Short breifing , down the anchor line goes the dive instructor , then the open water divers , then me. Strong current, had to stay on the line. Next thing I notice is were going deeper and deeper 142 feet. way past recreational diver limits. The instructor was 12 feet down the line , I could get his attention. We all almost ran out of air during the safty stop. had to buddy breath with , instructor , then one of the other divers. Not cool at all. Be care when diving in Mexico , they don't follow the dive laws.

2  Thank garygman