“Great character and charm, nice pool area”
Review of Tropicana Inn

Tropicana Inn
Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great character and charm, nice pool area”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed here for one night after I flew into Cabo San Jose. I was by myself - my husband picked me up the next day - and I felt completely comfortable here. This hotel has years of history and charm and you really feel it when you're here. The rooms are done in a traditional Mexican style with bright colored spreads on the bed. The room was very clean. Not luxurious, but quite comfortable. I had a room on the main level looking out over the pool and it was very nice.

I was never able to get internet although the hotel did say they had free WiFi. When I asked about it, I was told that they'd been having problems with it. No big deal for me, but I know some of the guests were a bit upset. I think this was just temporary, however.

I loved sitting by the pool. It was very comfy with big lounge chairs. One of the women had a massage while I was there - they do it poolside in a cabana - and she really enjoyed it. It was quite reasonably priced. I was able to order a drink and read poolside and it was so nice. The people were friendly and were always asking if I needed anything at all.

I had dinner there that night and I found it delightful. The food was great - I had shrimp that was caught locally because it was in season - and it had perfect flavors. I sat inside at a small table and enjoyed the live music they had - it was a family singing traditional Mexican songs. Not something I usually listen to, but it was perfect for the atmosphere. I ordered a margarita and it was delicious.

The next morning, the hotel offered free breakfast, but I discovered that they only include fruit, muffin and juice, so I ordered an egg and tea. The extra made for a perfect start to the day and it wasn't expensive.

This is really a nice location - you can get a shuttle from the airport for a reasonable price (taxis are too over-priced) and then walk around in the small shops in the old part of Cabo San Jose. It's really very lovely and I enjoyed that night to relax and unwind after traveling.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool if you want to be close to the restaurant and the pool. If there...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed at the tropicana for one night on our way to Los Cabo.
Very clean hotel.
Staff was extremely friendly. My wife and I wanted a beer...we popped into the office and minutes later a waiter arrived asking if we needed anything.
Small pool.
Great for a night or two.
Location is perfect.
I think a person may run out of things to do after a few days.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Not amazing, but the location is great if you want to check out San Jose de los Cabos. Staff is super nice and the do their best. I really thought that it was a nice place to stay. Pool is small and swim up bar is small too, but it is clean. The birds were beautiful and the spa looked inviting. The free breakfast is just fruit, a muffin and coffee/juice. You can add on more at an average price. Location is great. If bar is not maned, you can ask them for drinks and they will be brought to you.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank s6500rs1
Lemon Grove, California
Reviewed 29 May 2013

For the past 4 years, when we come to Cabo San Lucas our first stop is the Tropicana Inn. Since it is in close proximity to the San Jose airport and we normally fly in as it is getting dark, we like to stay overnight and start out early in the morning for our 30 ride down the coast to Cabo San Jose. We enjoy eating a nice meal at the restaurant located on the main street when we arrive and breakfast before we start our next day.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We loved this Inn. Would stay here on any future visit to San Jose del Cabo. Its right in the
historical center of town and has all the amenities you need: good air conditioning, satellite TV,
tropical patio, nice pool and surroundings, good restaurant and food, and great bar. Staff was
great. Lots of shopping in easy walking distance, and the historic mission is closeby.

Room Tip: Any room overlooking the pool. No elevator so must be able to climb some stairs to the 2nd or 3rd f...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Colorado
Reviewed 15 May 2013

A great little, 40 room, Inn located in the heart of San Jose Del Cabo. Close to the town square, Thursday art walk and area eateries. Great pool area and they've added small spa offerings. The food is very good, continental breakfast included with your room rate, served under the cabana on the main street or inside. Upon arrival we arranged pickup with Cabo Transfers which was $30 for 2 people. We used a taxi near the fron of the hotel for return the to airport for $20. It is a 15 minute walk to the beach. Fridge in the room for storing your daytime drinks :)

Room Tip: We like the first floor for easy access to the pool.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Seat_2B
Whittier, California
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I really loved staying at this beautiful little hotel in the heart of downtown San Jose del Cabo. The staff and friendly and helpful. The food in the restaurant is amamzing. I will definitely go back to this great hotel. The location is great and it is about 20 minutes from Cabo San Lucas.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends