“Avoid”

Ranked #22 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Austin, Texas
“Avoid”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Discourteous and unhelpful staff made for a dreadful last night on an otherwise-perfect Baja trip. Our first warning was when the surly individual running the front desk offered no explanation or apology for why the hotel had reneged on its guarantee of a ground floor room for the older members of our party. Things went down hill from there, with no assistance (or again apology) offered for the incorrect WiFi password he supplied and a task as simple as printing a boarding pass turning into a 30 minute ordeal requiring us to run a gauntlet of multiple unsmiling staffers. To top if off, the hotel was quite stingy with the Continental breakfast (with staff working assiduously to upsell us) whilst the hotel's décor appeared to have been acquired at a tsotchke shop in Nuevo Laredo. The savvy traveller should look elsewhere for lodging.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The rooms are still very good and convenient to walk to shopping, other resturants, and attractions in San Jose. The pool is quite refreshing and usually hardly occupied..
The Sunday brunch is quite the deal. Great variety and good and held in the wonderful huge banquet room...I highly recommend it. Part of the pleasure is the food and part the parade of staff in outfits connoting their roles in preparing or serving the food...and the elegant setting.
We always enjoyed eating in the Tropicana's resturant and bar which includes indoor seating and the outside front patio under the palapa...but this time we found the portions reduced (both food and drink), the prices higher, and well, some disappointments in terms of flavor and preparation. The margaritas used to be great and served in huge glasses. Now, very ordinary and smaller though the prices were not! The Aztec or Tortilla soup was definitely not at all as good as past years and not particularly imaginatively presented. One can do much better in town..(Salcita's, for example) . My husband ordered the large baked clams for lunch and found them salty, one so much as to be inedible (-). The waiter, to his credit (+) replaced it with a better prepared one. We did not return to sample other items on the menu this trip. It is clear that popularity and attempts to " upscale" the resturant along with the price hikes may mean that the tourists may be reliably expected to patronize the resturant and it is not necessary to be as competitive in quality for the tourist trade. In contrast, interestingly, the brunch seemed to attract more local families and reflects the value it has.
We enjoy staying here and like the picturesque courtyard, quiet pool and location, the iguana who can be seen on the roof or by the pool and the wonderful birds which inhabit the lovely trees and shrubs on the grounds. The beauty and tranquility makes this a special place. . Having a safe and easy place to park here in town is also a bonus! (Parking lot is behind and adjacent the Inn, accessible from the street behind. A caveat though (and this is not the fault of the Tropicana): on weekend nights...noticeably on Saturday, the reverberating boom of bass speakers and cheering of drinkers at an establishment down the street (probably the open-air rooftop bar) penetrates the rooms and is relentless, an irritant for the light sleeper like me! M-Thursday..? Not a problem. Another thing for sleeping and this is a positive change: They have improved their airconditioning units so they are quieter. The room temp can be adjusted and the fan is relatively quiet. Unfortunately the automatic ice machine can be heard on a regular basis in a few rooms (so avoid getting those if you can!) To their credit, management DID stop the quartet of 20-somethings from playing their boombox by the otherwise quiet pool area where the older patrons were enjoying reading on lounge chairs.
All in all, this is a good place to stay..particularly the night before one takes the plane home from Baja..It is clean and quiet, generally, with good beds, and no-smoking rooms, good showers, and still one of the best bargains for a stay in San Jose. I recommend it. Hopefully the resturant will return to its better self.

Room Tip: We like the ground floor basic room ...but avoid the rooms across from the icemaker (102-103).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
las vega, nv
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We recently returned from our 6th stay (over the past 20 years) at the Tropicana Inn. I am pleased to report that the Inn has maintained its wonderful charm, impeccable service, phenomenal tropical gardens and excellent food. We stayed in the Jacaranda Suite, which is isolated from the actual hotel rooms. It is located on a second floor off to the left of the main dining room. There is a large open balcony that you cross, then through a large Oak door (that you can lock at night) onto your large, lush, tropical balcony with a table and 2 chairs. The balcony overlooks the Courtyard (where the parrot cages are) and the pool. This was a perfect suite for us in that it was so private and quiet. We spent many mornings on the balcony enjoying our coffee, listening to the birds singing and relaxing, doing the same in the evenings, with a glass of wine, watching the sun set. The balcony is lined with lush tropical plants and canopied by a huge (oak?) tree. It almost has the feel of being in a treehouse. Magnifico!

The suite itself is large and accommodating. You enter into the sitting room with a large (comfortable) sofa, 2 side chairs and a large coffee table. Behind this, is the coffee wet bar area, with a sink, small frig (with a small freezer compartment at the top) large counter space, coffee maker, toaster, drawers and shelves for storage. My one suggestion would be to add a small micro wave oven for reheating leftovers. That would make this area complete. To the left, through an open archway, is the bedroom, with King size comfortable bed (and I am picky about beds!) a wall to wall built-in dresser with 2 separate sides (hers-n-his) with 8 drawers on each side and an arched mirror on each side. At the foot of the bed is the entertainment center with a 24 inch flat screen HD TV. I only turned the TV on one time to see if it had the major US channels (it did) and then immediately turned it off. Why would anyone want to watch TV with so much beauty right outside on the balcony?!? There were windows in the bedroom and sitting area, which provided great sunlight during the day, with heavy drapes to close at night. Down a short hall to the largest walk-in closet I have ever seen in any hotel or resort! One side is all racks for hanging clothes (including 10 wood hangars) with the other side having something similar to a built in dresser, open shelving at the top and 6 large drawers at the bottom. Again, I have never seen so much storage space. Directly across from the arched entry to the closet is the bathroom. Large double sinks with gold fixtures on a long, large marble vanity, and then, the tub! I have to tell you about this tub. It was awesome! Large enough to easily accommodate 2 people and at least 3 ½ feet deep. Talk about an ultimate soaking tub, this was it! And we never ran out of hot water, not even after filling that tub! Hubby enjoyed soaking and reading in that tub every night we were there. The AC worked perfectly, blowing nice cold air.

All staff and management were professional and there when we needed them. Many of the staff remembered our names. Our housekeeper was phenomenal in keeping our suite clean and tidy. We needed more towels, no problem. Needed extra coffee packets, no problem. We ordered room service 3 different times. Each time, the food arrived within 15 minutes of being ordered, and the hot food was hot! Want to give a shout out to Daniel, a waiter that took care of us several times when we ordered drink/food from the pool. Daniel was quick and efficient in delivery and very patient when Hubby wanted to learn some Spanish words and phrases. Such a personable young man. Great job, Daniel! He is a definite asset to the Tropicana. The front office was more than accommodating with any request we had, from phone calls, internet service, wake up calls and general information.

All restaurant servers were efficient and welcoming. We ate at the restaurant a couple of times, always very good food. Remember, if you are staying at the Inn, all food and beverages are 10% off at the restaurant and bar, what a great deal! Hubby absolutely adores their cheeseburger and, I have to admit, it was very good. One day I wanted eggs benedict, but instead of Canadian bacon, I wanted shrimp and crab. Daniel told me ‘no problem, you are in Mexico, anything is possible.” And the dish was superb! I tried the free continental breakfast on our last morning. I do not understand what people have complained about. You get juice and coffee (the OJ is fresh squeezed and yummy), a plate of fresh fruit (2 slices each of mango, papaya, pineapple, watermelon and 2 sliced strawberries) and an assortment of sweet rolls, a small banana nut muffin and some type of cookie that I absolutely loved! This was more than enough to fill me up and it was all delicious! If I had known it was that good, I would have had it more often. We thoroughly enjoy dining at the patio restaurant on the street. We did not dine inside this time, but both the front and back indoor dining rooms are simply beautiful. There is live music in the indoor front dining room several times a week. We did not partake of the music, but I can tell you that, even though our suite was in close proximity to the music, we never heard a thing.

The pool was the perfect temperature and we literally had it all to ourselves until the end of the week. It is a large pool and the whole pool area is like relaxing in a tropical jungle. Beautiful plants and trees everywhere. Nice large, fluffy pool towels can be obtained in the office. From the street, you would never think that this lush paradise exists, but it does!

We love absolutely everything about the Tropicana. It provided just what we needed: a quiet retreat to relax and reenergize in a tranquil, tropical garden. It is, as I stated, perfecto! We will return to the Tropicana, again and again.

Room Tip: We have stayed in the regular hotel rooms and they are nice, however, do yourself a favor and splurg...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My sister and I arrived on the 28th of October and stayed for six nights. We found the quietness and privacy of the inner court yard very relaxing. The maid service was excellent and the restaurant very affordable and food was interesting and fresh. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and we loved the pool. I would definitely return to stay at the Tropicana Inn.

Room Tip: If you enjoy the pool it is best to get a ground floor suite and away from the main office for less...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Deanna S
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Tropicana Inn for 4 nights. Although the hotel is small, it's very charming. We had to wrap our heads around being away from some of the mega resorts we've stayed at before. We enjoyed visiting with the other guests by the pool, many who have been coming to the hotel for several years. Great to hear tips and tricks for local travel. The staff were very kind and accomodating. Had the best massage I have had in years... highly recommend the spa services. The restaurant attached is fantastic as well. Great location that allows you to step out your door and explore the town. Free, secure parking on site as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tcpurcka
tropicanainn, Director de Recepción at Tropicana Inn, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
thank you very much for your comments here at the hotel we work very hard to make your stay as plessant as possible
Bothell, Washington
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I just returned from 10 days in Los Cabos. Our first 7 days were spent at Villa Del Arco in San Lucas and it was just perfect. Once again, the staff at VDA were super accommodating and were always a pleasure.

Our last 3 days were spent in San Jose del Cabo. On our prior trip, we stayed at Cabo Azul and it was heavenly. The grounds, staff and experience were, bar none, the best ever. We had the opportunity to have dinner at Tropicana Inn in the central district while we were there in 2010 and the food and experience were also, very attractive.

So, this trip, we decided to stay at Tropicana Inn. It was a little confusing on how to actually get into the hotel. Normally, you enter from the main street, but have to go through the restaurant, go outside, down some stairs, around a corner to a very non-descript front office. But the main entrance to the hotel are on a side street. Weird, but, ok.

The stay was fair. The big attraction, really, is the courtyard pool area. Unfortunately, the swim up bar was closed and the pool was full of garbage. I mean, dead leaves, bugs bird feathers, etc. It was pretty gross, actually. Like they had not cleaned the pool in weeks.

Upon our check out, we were greeted by a sweet desk agent. There she showed us our itemized bill and all was good. During this process, there was another gal in the lobby, lurking in the back on a hand radio chatting with other staff around the facility. After we paid our bill she walks over to us and says "Excuse me, but there is a wash cloth missing from your room" My wife and I looked at each other and were like, "OK.... And?" The gal with the radio said "Well, you will have to pay for the missing towel" I said, "No, we are not paying for a missing towel" This went on and on and we finally agreed to cut our losses and pay for the stupid thing to shut her up.

At this point, the professional gal behind the counter (I will leave her name out so she does not get singled out by Tropicana's hench men) behind the counter was really embarrassed. We paid the $5.00 USD for the wash cloth and the gal with the radio comes back to us and says, "Excuse me, but there seems to be some blood stain on your sheets, is it your blood?" And we were like, "What the [--]?" Meanwhile, the coward of a hotel manager is lurking behind a doorway coaching the gal with the radio, not showing his face. We were like, are you kidding me? This is such [--].. We went back and forth and after humiliating my wife and I in the hotel lobby and the fact we were going to miss our flight, we paid $65 USD for a sheet that we never saw.

So, an additional $70 USD must have been worth the bad review I am writing at this point, because we did tell them that we would let the world know, on Trip Advisor, that key members of their staff acted in an unprofessional, dishonest manor.

We will never return to Tropicana Inn, EVER. And I hope all of you that are reading this, take your travel business elsewhere. We have been traveling to part of Mexico for 8 years now and have never had such a poor experience.

As for the young, professional gal behind the counter, she was the only human on the staff that acted professional and honest. The hotel manager could get a few pointers from her.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank rdcronin
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 19 August 2013

What I liked most:
- location, just in the center of San Jose, within walking distance from everything
- room: very clean, comfy bed, nice bathroom in Mexican style
- the pool: fantastic, surrounded by a quiet garden
- staff: helpful and nice

What I didn't like: