“Great resort - excellent staff!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa

The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa
Ranked #28 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
San Francisco, California
“Great resort - excellent staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We loved our week here. We booked through SPG so we had access to the Royal Beach Club which turned out to be an amazing value. Great food and drinks with a view from 5-7 and the breakfast buffet every day. Highly recommend this if you think you'll want to have breakfast and happy hour at the resort each day.

Our balcony view was gorgeous, the room was comfortable, clean and spacious, and I miss falling asleep to the sound of crashing waves. Our room was in the RBC block of rooms on the 8th floor, but in looking at the hotel it's hard to see a way for any of the rooms to have a bad view.

The pools are lovely - we appreciated the "adult only" option and never had an issue finding a great pair of lounges in the desired amount of shade. The pool bar has a great selection to enjoy a drink in the pool and pool service for food is extremely convenient - it's easy to spend a full day out there.

The Westin is farther from Cabo San Lucas than other resorts. If your goal is to be in town often and you aren't renting a car, it might not be your best choice. It's really only a 15 minute drive and it's kind of nice to be out of the downtown Cabo scene. We rented a car so never dealt with taxis were able to self-park every day but one. Even then the valet charge was minimal, $10/night. Initially when we arrived, we thought we had to valet - they actually told us about the self-park option and then proceeded to park our car in the self-park area for us. It's also very close to San Jose del Cabo which has some amazing restaurants and good shopping.

The staff really make this an exceptional place to stay. Everyone was so friendly, helpful, and professional. Can't say enough good things about the individuals who work here! Big thank you to Karina, Ener, Daniel, Victor, and everyone else who helped us during our stay.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
beat_meier, General Manager at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to post here on TripAdvisor and share your experience about your stay at The Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos, as well as your tips for enjoying Cabo.

We are very pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your week at the resort and that you took advantage of the Starwood Preferred Guest savings as well as the breakfast and happy hour offerings.

We are fortunate to be able to provide an ocean view with every room, along with the wave sounds from our beautiful Sea of Cortez. Like you, many of our guests who stay with us prefer to be a few minutes away from the bustle of the town, where it is easy to relax and enjoy the peace!

On behalf of our staff, including Karina, Ener, Daniel, Victor, thank you for your kind comments, which I will share with them. We hope that you will come stay with us on another getaway sometime!

Beat Meier

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Yucaipa, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This is our second stay at this Westin Resort. We were here last year in June and returned with our adult children, spouses, and three grandchildren 3 years, 2 years and eight months old. We had 11 in our party. The hotel did not disappoint in providing the room configurations that we requested. There were a few hiccups but they were rectified very quickly such replacing one non working refrigerator, and repairing a overflowing toilet. One day our room wasn't cleaned by 4:00 PM but again, one call to the front desk and it was cleaned pronto with no further cleaning issues during our stay. BUT, all in all, our stay was great. A few of the high points were sitting around the fire pit at night and having the bartender Rigo Lopez bringing you drinks to you because he remembered your preference. A few of the wait staff that provided courteous, friendly and excellent service were Antonio Duque, Samuel Castillo and Adriana Lopez. Rocio Nieto (spelling?) at the El Ciruelo was amazing because she handled all 11 of us without any issues. Additionally, at the La Cascada, the wait staff would arrange the tables so that we could all sit at the same table for dinner and close by each other for breakfast. The Bar on the Rocks was great, the view amazing! Dinner at both Arrecifes and the Ciruelo Restaurant were very good. Otto, the Assistant Manager was again on his game and very helpful and friendly. All in all, a very great family vacation. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Sharon C
beat_meier, General Manager at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for sharing this review about your second stay with us. We take tremendous pride in being to accommodate all our guests with the world-class and award-winning services and we are so happy to hear that it did not disappoint. The entire staff, including those you mentioned, would be so appreciative to hear your kind words about their work. It was a pleasure having you and your family here again and it would be an honor to host you for the third time in the future!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

This was my first time in Cabo and I was torn between a resort experience and staying in town. I was so happy I followed my instincts and went with this resort, versus the overcrowded and nestled into each other hotels of downtown Cabo. This stay truly felt like a relaxing vacation.

First off, if you have angst like I did about rides into town, don’t worry about cab rides into town; you can get a cab for $30 USD to take you and a cab for $30 USD to bring you back. I read so many nightmare stories about $100+ cab rides, I almost scrapped the whole stay. These worries were unfounded. $60 USD round trip given the distance is very fair.

Upon arriving, we were so surprised by the grandeur of this property; it is modern, beautiful and very well maintained with beautiful pools, fountains and gardens. Yes, it is a sweat breaking walk to get around this property, as the grounds are well spread out and set on inclines and declines. I can appreciate the perspective of someone who may have mobility issues. Probably not the best place for people needing assistance with walkers and canes. Otherwise, the spread out nature is what makes it a good resort.

Perhaps the best feature of this stay for us was the service. It was spot on, without being stuffy. I’m sorry, I just don't understand some of these recent complaints about the staff and service; we found the staff to be beyond helpful and I never once felt they were doing it for a tip. I think the staff is genuinely interested in doing their job well, they take pride in being there and I thank each and every one of them.

We went with an all-inclusive option and were shocked that we had access to so many restaurants. While we are not drinkers, it was nice to have this option as we indulged one night and I am happy we chose this package. Our package also included free Wi-Fi which was very helpful, as we had to check in with work a few times during our stay.

The pool area and beach were beautiful, comfortable, clean and relaxing. Yes, this place really does look as nice in person as it does in pictures! The pool area does have an adult’s only section which was nice, as we wanted a bit more tranquility. The hotel details don’t mention this maybe, so this was a pleasant nice to have.

The rooms were very spacious and comfortable and were in line with the standard one would expect from Westin properties. We had a partial ocean view room that may as well have been billed to us as a full ocean view room. Loved the balcony with chairs and I can still hear the waves crashing against the rocks.

The property has a nice gym and it was great to have this very convenient feature, plus the views from the gym are beyond amazing.

The restaurants, food, beverage and service were all top notch and my concerns about going into town to eat were completely put to rest rather quickly. With the exception of one night where we did venture into town, we felt no need to go outside of the property. The hotel has both casual and fine dining options. We loved our dinners at Il Ciruelo.

Overall, we truly enjoyed our time here and would definitely go back. I did catch glimpses of some of the other properties like the Westin, and I must say none of the ones in this category (Hilton, Fiesta Americana, Secrets) had the splendor of this property.

3 Thank Lara_from_LA
Thank you for taking the time to write this thoughtful review about your experience at the Westin Resort & Spa, Los Cabos. Kind words about our hotel grounds, award-winning amenities as well as the wonderful staff who works to provide all our guests with the best possible service are always appreciated. I am glad you were able to enjoy the adult pool area, despite not knowing about it before. We find that when guests stumble onto to more tucked-away areas like these rather than planning it beforehand will usually enhance their vacation experience with us. We’re extremely proud of our world-class service that we provide with heart and we are so happy to hear that everything was to your liking.

We really hope that you will you choose us again, the next time you find yourself in Los Cabos. It would be our pleasure hosting your stay.

Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We arrived late since our flight landed in SJC around 11:30pm our reserved room was not available. Since we have two small children we booked a double room and we could not get it at the check in we had to wait until next day to get the room we needed with all the inconvenience of changing rooms. Although the all personnel were kind to us they could not make much about all the inconvenience. The second day we went down to the pool area around 9:00 am we came back to the room around 4:00pm and our room was not cleaned. The worse moment was when we went out of the hotel for dinner and we left a pair of sun glasses on our room desk and they disappeared. We will never return to this hotel. As a SGP member I do not consider it a Westin standard!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Bernardo O
beat_meier, Executive Office at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our Hotel in Tripadvisor!

We would like to thank you for contacting the hotel directly to inform us you found the sun glasses that had been reported as missing during your recent stay at Westin Los Cabos. We really appreciate the information you provided us to clarify that it was a misunderstanding and you found your sun glasses in your belongings. We also thank you for the comments you made about your experience; I can assured those comments will be shared with the appropriate staff in order to provide a better service to other guests with similar requests.

Thank you again for your feedback and hoping to have you as guest in the future!

Executive Office
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Overall this is a very nice hotel. The best feature is the proximity of the pool to the beach. Which is a very good feature.

However, some things to be aware of:

1. This hotel does not provide Westin quality service. Employees were polite but did not make an effort to meet your needs. I could not make international calls from the room for some reason, and the employee who answered service express was very exasperated with me when I kept calling to ask him to put me through. Which was obviously not what I wanted to do since I would have preferred that the phone worked and I didn t have to talk to him every time I made a call.
2. The rooms are nice but not super clean or impressive. There are bugs, but yet are usually dead, and the bathroom is old and some of the taps do not work.
3. Food selection is poor. There are a few restaurants and room service but after 5 days we were sick of everything. There is a deli in the resort next door which is a good deal but they will not tell you about it at the Westin.
4. Front desk staff are not helpful. I was told that they were ar capacity so no upgrades were available, but when I had to check out unexpectedly early, they charged me an extra night. Also when they were full there was a clear drop in service during his period.

I am a loyal Starwood member and I stay in a lot of Westin hotels Sony review is based on this experience.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Megangmobroe
beat_meier, General Manager at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sharing your thoughts here on TripAdvisor and for your positive comments about our resort features and amenities, such as our expansive pools, which I am glad you enjoyed.

Regarding your comments about your experience with our staff service, I regret that you feel that it was not up to your expectations. We aim to provide stellar service, and are generally very well regarded for it, so when we hear that we may have missed the mark, we know we need to step up our efforts. I will look into the issue you expressed about having difficulty placing an international call as that should not be a problem from the resort. With regard to your finding dead insects indoors, I apologize. Our hotel has a very strict pest control protocol, just so that you know. Every reported incidence we actively investigate and attend to, accordingly, for the well-being of our guests, staff and resort facilities.

I should also state here that we renovate our rooms regularly and provide several restaurants, offering a variety of menus and price points. For guests who prefer more choices, our Front Desk and Concierge staffs are always happy to recommend off-site locations to dine upon our guests’ requests. I apologize the inconveniences with the Front Desk, you have been charged regarding the cancelation policy of the hotel.

Thank you again for your feedback!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

The Westin Cabo is architecturally delightful. It is a sight day and night. Maneuvering the grounds is a workout, as the resort is on an incline. The grounds are lush and well maintained. The staff is helpful and pleasant. Check in and check out was a breeze.
I personally disliked the presence of ants and other tiny insects roaming the outdoor seating areas. We are all Earthlings; but, I prefer to keep my distance from insects. The first night I noticed a tiny bug in the bed. My husband reassured me. But the next night, at bedtime there was a gargantuan roach! The next day...nothing. The third day, there was one dead roach. The fourth night, there were 3 huge roaches, all dead. Perhaps this is common for the area; but, I was creeped out. I sprayed my bags with Off repellent hoping to reduce a stowaway roach or roach family.
Our toilet flooded after a “number one”. The maintenance person “fixed” it. Two days later, the water edged to the rim. My husband requested maintenance. It continued to flush irregularly on the fourth day. This was annoying because if there is anything more creepy than insects in a bedroom is raw sewage. The fourth day we used the gym restrooms for real business, as well as business as usual. Using the gym worked ok because we were in Cabo San Lucas for 9 hours on that day.
We attended a timeshare presentation that provided round trip airport and presentation resort fare. We also received vouchers for two restaurants. Four meals were covered. The additional meals came in handy because our meals averaged just under $100 including tips and non-alcoholic beverages.
The resort food was fresh and tasty.
Overall the experience was dampened by the insects and toilet issue. Complimentary Wi-Fi on the entire resort would have been appreciated. Complimentary Wi-Fi was only available in reception area.

Room Tip: Request third floor. No elevator required to get to room or gym. Only one flight away from pool, bea...
3 Thank TrinaWal
beat_meier, General Manager at The Westin Los Cabos Resort Villas & Spa, responded to this review, 22 July 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your experience at Westin, Los Cabos on Tripadvisor!

I appreciate your comments about the amazing architecture of the hotel, the well maintained grounds and the helpful and pleasant staff who provided you the attention every customer is looking for to enjoy and relax during vacations.

Regarding your comments about the inconveniences you experienced for the presence of insects in the outdoor and indoor, I offer you a sincere apology for those inconveniences and I would like to inform you that our Hotel is working with a very strict Pest Control Program and any report is always investigated. Furthermore, we always take the immediate actions when a guest reports us any incident to attend it on a proper manner as we never want our guests feel disappointed with facilities and services.

I will share your comments about the maintenance problems you encountered in your room with the appropriate staff in order to take the necessary actions to prevent us from future inconveniences on the same matter to guarantee the most pleasant and renewal experience to all of our customers.

Thank you again for your feedback and for bringing these incidents to my attention!

San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

We loved our room, the views, and the amenities. Excellent gym with great equipment, we used all 6 days at the resort. Food in restaurants was exceptional. All of the staff... front desk, reception, food service, poolside, gym were responsive and pleasant.

This resort is 3 minutes to San Jose Del Cabo downtown with great shopping mall and restaurants. Only 20 minutes from Cabo San Lucas.

We will go again to Westin Los Cabos. Great price and value for a huge, well maintained property in Mexico.

Room Tip: We stayed on 8th floor on the bridge. Incredible views, oceanfront.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HappyNSiliconValley
Thank you for your thoughtful words about your stay at the Westin Resort and Spa, Los Cabos. Our staff would be appreciative to hear your praises about their hard work and hospitality. We are happy to hear that you were able to take advantage of the gym equipment during your stay. Amenities like these, in addition to our services and well-maintained grounds, are what make this resort a AAA four diamond award-winning hotel.

It was a pleasure hosting you and we hope to see you again the next time you are in Cabo!