“3.5 Star Resort with 5 Star Staff”

Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Calgary, Canada
“3.5 Star Resort with 5 Star Staff”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

My sister and I just returned from the Holiday Inn Resort in Los Cabos, Mexico on December 2, 2012. Since the booking was compliments of my brother-in-law, I had no reason to complain! However, admittedly, I was skeptical and somewhat worried after being accustomed to consistently stay at Sandals 5 start resorts for the past 10 years.

What a pleasant surprise! We were given a Garden View room with hammock just merely steps away from the main activities pool that had everything going on, a swim-up bar and bar.

My sister, Diana, was scoping out the reviews daily to have an eagle eye out on any pitfalls to be aware of. The only thing that appeared to be consistently negative was the food reviews. Who goes on vacation for the food? If you do, the food here is absolutely fine. You have multitude of choices to fresh salads, fruit, entre-themed nights, and a-la-carte to chose from. What sets this resort apart is the staff -- Rojellio the waiter who worked endlessly, Cruiz at the central bar, Antonio at the jewellery shop. You can have room service if you want, or if you have someone who has trouble walking around. The natural gifts within your reach is the bird sanctuary and what I found outstanding: watching how meticulous they preserve, help the baby turtles that you can see hatch before your eyes right on the resort. The staff there were very helpful, informative, and let you know when they were going to release the baby turtles to the sea -- my sister said her daughter paid $85 U.S. for this in Vallarta this past spring! If quiet, restful vacation is what you want -- there is a designated quiet "Adult" pool where those that want to just bask in the sun, dip in the pool, read or book, or quench their thirst at the nearby bar. Obviously, I didn't spend any time at the family area, did see a few families, but not too many. Perhaps because of the time of the year. If you want to stay up a bit later past dinner, there is a Patio bar if you want to party hard, socialize with people, sip beer or wine or take Tequila shots! It is merely a 15 minute walk or 5 minute cab ride to San Jose - we went for a bite to eat and shopped the jewellery and art boutiques. If you don't want to travel far, the resort has hand-picked merchants selling their wares right by the main pool and they monitor/police the beaches to prevent anyone from being bothered by impromptu sellers. The only real disappointment was the strength of the undertow prevented anyone from swimming on the beach, however, I did walk along barefoot after watching the release of the baby turtles so I wasn't hard done by. The key to this resort, like any holiday .... you make it the way you want it -- there is socializing if you're feeling talkative, there is quiet areas if you seek quietness and solitude, there are activities if you want to be energetic. The grounds rival any 5-star resorts as you see gardeners and pool cleaners quietly and effortless keeping the environment beautiful and unassuming. At the end of the day: I got more than I bargained for: I came home with a few new spanish words (they appreciate when you try to speak to them in their language) a tan, rested and an enhanced bond with a wonderful sister whom shared making new friends from Canada, the US and the wonderful, friend Mexican people. It was obvious that this was a quiet secret as we met many people who were repeat visitors (our neighbour had been to this resort 9 years in a row) with many whom had met there and reunited often between Canadian and American lifelong friends.

Room Tip: Next time (and there will be) I am going to request a Garden View room facing the Adult Quiet Pool a...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank optioneerJM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (832)
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Our 1st trip to Los Cabos with my husband.
Essentially the most outstanding staff and service I have EVER had the pleasure of dealing with while on vacation. The staff made EVERY effort to make our stay the most enjoyable. The grounds were spotless and clean - never a piece of debris or garbage to be seen. The staff always passed by with a wide smile and a "hola" no matter what job or task they were absorbed in.
Our server Gonzalo enthusiastically greeted us each morning for breakfast. His generous smile and exceptional service were handsomely rewarded with a well deserved tip during our 9 days. He recommended the Jugo Verdi - a blend of celery and pineapple juice which fast became our favorite breakfast beverage. Gonzalo quickly learned our favorite drinks and served them promptly before we even had a chance to ask. At our request he even schooled us in some Spanish. He was delightful and made us look forward to seeing his smiling face every day!
Unfortunately, the buffet food was horribly sub-standard. On the other hand, the a-la-cart was quite good.
San Jose del Cabo was historically refreshing with ample shops, galleries and quaint restaurants. The Art Walk is a must and was our most memorable experience.
As for our room, it was overly spacious and included all the basic necessities. The bed mattress was very firm (but tolerable) and the pillows very soft (we ordered a couple more). The Cleaning staff did an OUTSTANDING job. I am a clean freak and I wiped down every inch of the room with alcoholic wipes - there was not a SPEC of dust to be found anywhere. The bed linens were changed daily and the bathroom was scrubbed daily.
We stayed in the "adult" section near the adult pool. We loved our room, but missed not having a balcony. No noise, no music, no distractions - only the soothing sound of the surf crashing against the shore. We did not miss swimming in the ocean as the resort offered 3 large pools to cool off in and play and get wet.
The on-site vendors were charming and non-invasive - unlike Puerto Vallarta where they are driven to make sales like sharks are driven to eat seals. I particularly loved painting my own pottery and having Alejandro put the finishing touches on it before firing it and returning it the following day. To my surprise my piece of mexican art was far better than I could have ever expected. Thank you Alejandro!
Congratulations Holiday Inn on having the Best Staff working at your resort!!
I would stay at the Holiday Inn Resort again but not "all-inclusive".
Note: We would definitely become more regular guests if you ever decide to change your buffet food selection.

Room Tip: It is extremely beautiful to wake to the eastern sunrise from an ocean view room. The Adult section...
4 Thank TeresaMariaandRay
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I visited the Holiday Inn in San Jose Del Cabo a week ago. The property was absolutely beautiful. I went with my mother and six year-old daughter. We stayed in an ocean front lanai room. It was awesome to walk 10 feet beyond the room and jump into the sand! The rooms were very clean and well laid out. There was plenty of space for all 3 of us plus a suitcase full of toys.

The kids pool was great. It was big enough for many kids to play at once with a couple of slides. It was laid out nicely so that parents could sit and lounge while the kids played safely. It was connected to a larger pool which was really nice for a quick swim to the pool bar. There were two other pools as well- both were equally nice.

The property was well manicured and maintained. The staff and management were awesome- very helpful and friendly. The resort manager, Raul, was extremely helpful in working with us on room accommodations.

My only complaint was that there were not many food options. One a la carte restaurant was open every other night. The buffets did not offer enough variety. The food was good though.

Overall it was a great stay and I would definitely return!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jen E
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 8 December 2013

A fantastic Resort with amazing grounds. Friendly and helpful staff. Our room with partial ocean-view was clean comfortable and a good size. The maid service was astonishing. The most helpful and accommodating waiters were Felipe and Marco. However All staff members were great. The Pool areas were all maintained impeccably. The Beach was endless--good for long walks. Swimming in the sea is not ideal because of undertow and red flag warnings . However we did some Bodysurfing. Excellent.
The food selection at all restaurants was O.K. Breakfasts were the best. Good selection, excellent coffee .Desserts were awesome. Buffets could use some upgrades.
Would not hesitate to revisit.

Room Tip: Rooms with partial ocean-view or Ocean front are best.
3 Thank Gerald V
High River, Canada
Reviewed 7 December 2013

This is second visit to the Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos in four months. The Resort has seen many improvements in that time. The food quality is a greater variety, the Service is Fabulous, the Waiters, Guest relations, can not do enough for you. Rooms are impeccably clean. Pool areas have seen the Chaise Lounge chairs with new fabric coverings. This stay, as before, was Great. Four pools clean. Adult only pool, quiet for those who like to read and R and R. "Alma" at the Adult only pool bar has been there for 30 odd years, and her personality adds to this location. The nightly themes have great entertainers, casino nights, mexican nights, latino nights, International Nights. Highly recommended not only for a R and R vacation, but to families as well. Close proximity to San Jose Town, Lagoon walk into town safe and enjoyable. Town has so much to offer. Art Walk Nights on Thursday evenings...a definate to see and participate. The Mexican, and Spanish Influence in these art shops is amazing, each one carries a different theme or flavor to the area. Safe walking back to resort in evening when all is said and done. If you are looking for a quieter location with great ammenities, this is the Place in Cabo, San Jose area you want to be!

Room Tip: Every room that we have stayed in has been a good choice. No matter where you are there is a view of...
4 Thank yetiman508
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 December 2013

This is a beautiful resort with friendly and helpful staff.We were especially impressed with Felipe and Marco in the dining room.We were in building 5 on the 2nd floor.The room is large with a balcony from where we overlooked the ocean.The beach is wide and long.Red flags are always out because of the rough sea and is not considered suitable for swimming.However I found it ideal for body surfing .There are a few things worth knowing--no mention is made of the fact that you have to make reservations for certain restaurants(Felipe took care of that for us).If you need a must have food item feel free to ask,chances are you will get it.I would suggest that you tip as generously as you can,The daily wage is the equivalent of $5.60us for most workers.While in Los Cabos treat yourself to a visit to Cabo San Lucas and the glass bottom boat.You can book with your tour operator,the resort rep.or take a taxi .A taxi is only economical if there are at least 4 pearsons since the cost is the same for 1 to 4.There are many other areas of interest including beaches where swimming is available.

Room Tip: We like the building we were in.If you like oceanfront I think building 7 would be great.
2 Thank Alfred V
St. Albert, Canada
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Holiday Inn Resort. It was what I had expected from the reviews and for the price that we paid. The location is superb...an easy walk into the center of town, close to a nature preserve. The food was better than I expected. Everything was clean and the service was. very good.

Room Tip: The ocean view room is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!