“Good Time in Cabo!!!”

Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Manhattan Kansas
“Good Time in Cabo!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We (two couples) vacationed at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive for 7 nights arriving May 28th. Like to start out saying that Raul the Front Office Manager came though for all of us. He reserved our rooms close together with king bed & balcony on 3rd floor with pool & ocean veiw. Also Carla checked us in and did a good job informing us about the resort. Rooms were clean and had a good air-conditioner, bathroom is small but it worked for us. The hotel is well maintained inside & out. Food was fine we prefered the breakfast at Napa's and lunch at El Carbeno fish tacos with crispy french fries were awsome. Frutas & Flores for dinner had great Mexican food. They also had entertainment with a Mexican Buffet on Thursday night that was very good. They had a chilli pork that was my favorite. I also like to say that it was so much smoother going to Cabo airport versus Cancun airport. It only took 30 minutes to go through customs and get your transportation, which going to Cancun it takes 1 too 2 hours to go through customs and too get your transportation. All personnel at the resort were very nice and some stuck out more than others. See my break down below.

Waiters- Efeurmio, Gonzalo, Filipe, Omar

Bartenders- Eli, Fausto, Jonathon & Liney

Cooks - Cristian

Activity - Rocio & Oscar

Cleaning- Lourdes & Rosalva

Information - Jorge

Front Desk - Carla & Raul

Room Tip: You can't go wrong on the 3rd floor.
1 Thank ThomasV659
Sergio_Leon_Castillo, Gerente at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Hello Thomas V,

We want to thank your comments about your last stay, we are very glad to know that all staff has worked in a good way for make a pleasant stay. We are proud for all the personnel who did an extra effort and we´re sure that with your words, they will feel motivated.

We hope to welcome you soon.

Sincerly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (811)
Wayne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

We visited in May of 2014. The hotel was nearly empty, maybe 50 people which was fine with us. I think it would be a lot less desirable if the hotel were full.
The property is perfectly maintained. Not a blade of grass out of line. The food was OK. We always found something good to eat. The hotel is on a magnificent beach but the waves are large and break in close. Swimming is dangerous. I did not see a single person in the water all week.
The hotel provides very expensive cab rides to the town of Cabo, about 20 miles away. But, if you ride the local buses, you can get there for a few pesos, which we did.
The only negative was when we arrived the guest services guy harassed us to sign up for excursions like snorkeling, etc. He claimed his prices were very low. We found, if you go to Los Cabos at the Marina where the boats depart, everything is negotiable and dirt cheap.
The other bad thing that happened was that these guest services people push and push to get you to endure, they say, a 1.5 hour pitch on a vacation program. After 3 hours of non stop selling and their wanting me to write a check for $10,500, I walked out very angry.
Apart from these guest services, which turned out to be a lot less than services, the hotel is fine.

Room Tip: We paid extra for a 'partial ocean view'. I think a view of the gardens for less money would...
1 Thank Jeffery H
Sergio_Leon_Castillo, Gerente at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Jeffery H

We really appreciate your comments, in reference to the prices for excursions, you could find a cheapest option but there isn´t a guaranteed that you are in hands of professionals. So we prefer to offer you quality and safety in your experience.

About the guest services people, We have discussed the issue with them and they agree to modify their approach to our guests

Thank you and we hope to meet you soon,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Picked this resort as we trusted the Holiday Inn name but was disappointed with the resort.
Upon arriving the reception was poor. We had asked for a king size bed with a garden view as it was cheaper than a pool view. However the garden view we received was far from a nice view, we overlooked a stick type roof, a dirt area and something I guess was plants or weeds. There was no balcony to sit on and the windows didn't even open. After staying in our room for 2 days I asked to be moved as each day I got up I felt light head and nauseated not sure what could be causing it but once I was out of the room and outside I felt fine. We did get moved to a ground level unit which had a patio and had a almost view of the pool which was alot better than the first room. The entertainment at the pool was average and more for the younger people and the language mostly spoken was Spanish with very little instruction given in English so you had to guess at what was going to happen. The pool was not handicap friendly as the steps into the pool were steep and hard for a elderly person or someone with difficulty. Any other entertainment at the resort was not existent. Beside the beach/pool hut for light lunch there was only 2 other restaurants with one only serving breakfast which was the same everyday. The other restaurant was a outside one and had different theme nights however the food was same every night I tell people the only thing that was different was the way they cooked the chicken.
The upkeep of the rooms was poor and not consistent with something missing like a bath towel, or floor mat or face cloth. They never refilled items such as shampoo, etc and mini fridge was not well stocked. The resort should do something regarding their TV system, I know you are suppose to be on holidays but in the evening when there is nothing else to do what do you do but watch TV - most of the channels were in Spanish and the ones in English with Spanish subtitles were all old shows. There was 2 channels that were English news channels and one was Fox which continually down grades the government and other was not a very good English news channel. Because of being a all inclusive your drinks were included but it seems they were very watered down and you could hardly taste any booze in it. There was no service around the pool you had to go and get your own drinks. They kept wanting you to do something like a timeshare presentation and receive a discount on things - after being at the resort and seeing how it was - why would someone want to invest money to come back every year. At the end of the week we moved to another resort that was like a palace and they treated you like kings and queens and we didn't pay much more for that resort. That resort never once asked to show you around their resort as they hoped what you saw and got would make you come back again. In my opinion unless you are young and not really care about your room or surrounding or you honestly can't afford much then make sure check out other resorts before settling on this one. I will not return to this resort and it had put a bad taste in my mouth to stay at any other Holiday Inn.

1 Thank djsheehan
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear djsheehan,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We took our family of four to this resort over spring break. The hotel was probably near full, but we never felt crowded. Yes, the resort is older, but it's very well-maintained. I did not notice any signs of disrepair on the property. The food was fine- it was always hot and there were many choices available. My kids never went hungry and sometimes it's good to get out of your food comfort zone. The waiters and waitresses were especially attentive.

The location of this resort is great. It's at the end of a dead end street and next to the protected estuary. The property feels sort of shut off, which is nice.

Room Tip: Tip: Ask for a ground floor room. The ground floor rooms have patios with hammocks. You'd be...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Shanna M
Dear Shanna

Please accept our thanks for your comments, we are very glad to know that you have a nice experience with the food, maintenace of property, and specially with the hospitality of our staff during your stay.

We will share your comments with our staff and hope to give you a warm welcome again.

Sincerly,
Bodega, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

We have such wonderful memories of our trip. The room and spot that you suggested were just perfect. The view to the estuary and the beach was so lovely and just what we needed. We wanted to let you know how much we appreciated your staff and how delightful they were. Alma (who we loved!), Jonathan and Oscar in Napa and so many more... I know that your employees see and meet so many people and that being kind and giving good service is their job. In a few days someone new will check into the room that we had. For us, we take a little bit of them home in our hearts, photos and memories. Alma might not remember us because so many people pass through her bar. But we have a picture with her on the last day of our trip and every time I look at it I will think of Alma and how sweet she was! Jonathan and Oscar might not remember us, but they were so great the two days different days we had children over on a Visitors Day Pass. It was so appreciated. Please let your staff know...it is so great to hear you are doing a good job! Oh, and thank you so much Raul!
We will return to this hotel! Thank you again. Rebecca and Gregory

Room Tip: We so loved our room by the Adult Pool. Very quiet with a beautiful view of the beach and the estua...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RAVGUG
Sergio_Leon_Castillo, Gerente at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear RAVGUG
We like to express our sincerly gratitude for your comments, these are important part of the good things in our job, we feel motivated and think that is worth be here.

Hope to see you soon and give you a warm welcome and hospitality at your next stay
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I have to admit I was concerned about our hotel choice after reading previous reviews but went with a open mind with two grandchildren 6/10. Yes it is an older hotel but well maintained and clean with great staff. We upgraded to ground floor and worth every penny of the $40 per night. Raoul at the desk, Alma at the bar, Gonzales at breakfast who brought my grandson his requested bacon daily and dinner with Corande, they were all awesome .There are so many food choices that we were never unhappy with each meal. If you don't like it, try something else. Beach party night was our favorite.The kids pool with slide and water bucket is fun for up to about 8 yrs old and the kids club was awesome keeping our 6 year old happy with crafts. I can see how getting a pool side chair would be difficult in the busy months but the hotel was only 24% filled when we were there.Take along dollar bills for tipping and your money is well invested for a much more enjoyable stay. Who doesn't try harder to earn money. Leave tip on pillow for cleaning staff, they deserve it. Bathroom was often a disaster with kids.Cons-A/C not cold enough for us but that is what we like, shower wasn't a constant temp and they really need to get new mattresses and the added pad was not much better. I would only return if they had added 4 of those egg crate foams to my bed. Everything else was very relaxing EXCEPT for our beds. Careful on beach, I stepped on a jelly fish and yes it did hurt.

Room Tip: Loved the ground floor hammock room near activity pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank GallopingGertie
Dear Galloping

We want to thank you for highlight the good work of our staff and for your preference in your last stay.

We are commited to do our best effort to keep the families like yours always happy, and in order to attend to your comments about the beds in your room, we will inspect the mattresses at our rooms.

Hope to see you soon and give you a warm welcome.
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

My wife, 14 year old son and I had a wonderful, relaxing week at the HI earlier this year. There are many reviews stating the amenities, services and what have you, so instead I will just give our impressions of the hotel and area. Some may consider the hotel dated, but we felt it was very liveable. The staff was very friendly, the room comfortable and the area fantastic.

The room was clean, the bathroom a bit small but otherwise fine. Our toilet handle was broken when we checked in, but a new one installed immediately. I was impressed it was done so quickly. The beds are a bit hard, but not terribly so. We overlooked a pool and then the beach, so there was no complaints about the view! We stayed on the third floor so the balcony was excellent to sit out on and let your cares drift away.

The grounds are gorgeous. Lots of cactus around, grass kept neat and the beach was clean and great for going on long walks. No swimming in the ocean due to tides, but swimming beaches are close by. We spent most of our lounging time by the beach, but also by the family pool. Never had much of a problem getting chairs or even an umbrella.
Much has been said of the food, but we found it fine for what we needed. Breakfast was great, lunch was usually from the beach hut, and we went to both the outdoor show buffet and also to the ala cartes. All of them were fine, but the beach buffet was a bit hit and miss. The Italian was great, but the Chinese so-so. Flutas y Floras was excellent, with wonderful service and great food. Lots of people raved about the taco lunches, but it was just ok with me.
A big plus in my books was the town of Los Cabos itself. We walked into town a few times, and it was a wonderful walk though the Sanctuary. We also took a cab at night to see the art walk, and it also was great. What I really loved about it was that it was very safe and friendly. At night, we kind of got off the main street and wandered around. We never felt unsafe, and many people seemed concerned we had got lost and pointed us back to the "touristy" areas. But it sure was fun to explore. When downtown during the day, we did not get hassled by shop keepers and timeshare ghouls, which was such a pleasant change compared to our trips to Puerto Vallarta or Playa del Carmen. I actually got to have some great conversations with locals without being hit up! It was a real highlight of the trip.
There were very few negative things worth mentioning. We did miss having an outdoor area to grab a drink and sit outside, especially since we had our son with us. The night lounge was loud, small and didn't allow minors. We ended up one night getting a drink, and broke into the outside restaurant to sit down. It was great to be outside and relax under the stars. I understand it is difficult for the hotel, because if it did get "lively" outside it could disturb guests up above. It is a very quiet resort, not for drunken partiers, which we appreciated.

Overall, a great vacation for a reasonable price. If I can get on my soapbox, my recommendation going here (or any Mexican resort) is to remember that no holiday is absolutely perfect, so relax! We hear so many people complain about such trivial things…all they do is deprive themselves of a chance to experience new things, meet great new people and learn something about the area. My goodness, if having to ask for bacon is ruining your vacation, stay home and go to Denny's. If you want to soak up some sun, meet some interesting people, and explore a wonderful area of Mexico, go to Los Cabos! We would definitely go back to the Holiday Inn, but we also like to try different parts of the country when we make our winter getaway. Who knows where we end up!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,559 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,992 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!