“Get What You Pay For”

Ranked #17 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Austin, Texas
“Get What You Pay For”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My 3 daughters (ages 16, 20, 22), wife and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Holiday Inn Resort in San Jose del Cabo. It was nice, but nothing to brag about. It was the first time we had stayed in less than a 4-star all-inclusive resort, and we could certainly see the difference. For those who have never stayed in 4-star and above resorts this resort would probably seem wonderful, but it really is a 3.5 star resort at best. It has well maintained grounds, clean though very simple rooms, and 3 nice pools. What it doesn't have is a lot of variety in activities, food, and fun.

There are a few things I wish I would have known prior to going that I think will be helpful for those considering this hotel. There is very little air-conditioning, anywhere, other than your room. There is one restaurant that has ac, but that is about it, the rest of the places to eat are all open air... even the evening lounge does not have it.

There is no live music at the pool or in the lounge. There was a live singer once who sang to pre-recorded music, but that was it.

There are a few evenings where there is an outdoor show. It is something to watch, but not very professional... kind of what you might expect for a cultural day at your kids' high school.

The food is very limited. This was probably the biggest disappointment to my family. The places to eat each night are limited to one or two places, and the food is repeated every couple days. It was tasty, but the selection was very limited. It was nothing like what you get at 4-star and above resorts.

There is no concierge, though there is an activities desk that can help you arrange trips through their company.

The lobby is overrun with the timeshare folks...3-6 of them at any given time. They will takeover your check-in if you let them, so beware.

The hotel seems to be popular among the Mexican nationals, and perhaps they are the primary targets for the timeshare pitch, but while we were there we saw very few Americans, and were amazed at how few people spoke English. This is not intended to be negative or positive, it is just something to note. I tend to think that the Mexican nationals would not be as put off by the lack of air-conditioning on the property as were the few Americans with whom I spoke.

The hotel is in a great location to walk into the town square and to shop, and I would highly advise doing that if you stay here... or take the bus, the "Urbano", for 1 dollar. It was safe and quick.

I think this hotel would be a great choice for someone with younger children, as they do have a kids program, and those on a tighter budget, and those wanting some quiet relaxation. This is not the place if you have teenagers or young adults, are into activities (there are no water sports available at all), like to hit the lounge at night to listen to music and/or meet people, or are a foodie.

Again, this is not a bad hotel, it is just not what you would expect if you are use to staying in 4-5 star places. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? No... unless they were really on a budget and they had never really traveled much before. For first timers and those with minimal expectations this place would probably shine because the grounds are beautiful, but for those who have experienced a variety of resorts and can afford a little better, this would not be the place.

Room Tip: Third floor rooms offer the best view of the ocean and the grounds, and those in building 3 offer a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Livintilidie
patricia032158, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
One of our top priorities is guest satisfaction and we are dissapointed to hear that we felt short on your expectations. I will make sure to share this with our staff so that we can improve on these things.

I would like to apologize for not fulfilling your expectations during your visit. Comments like yours give us an invaluable opportunity to target our attention to those áreas and/or individuals involved in order to provide a better service.

I remain at your disposal for any further questions.

Patricia Chapman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (809)
Wichita, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

After staying at a truly amazing resort nearby for a week, our flight home was cancelled. We decided to try a different resort for the two remaining days of our trip. This was supposed to be an "upgrade", as it was almost twice the cost of our previous hotel. We regretted our decision from the moment we walked in. The timeshare people automatically harassed us, and wouldn't take no for an answer. The building was falling apart and unappealing to the eye. When we arrived in our room, it smelled badly of mildew and was incredibly dirty (including hair on the floor). The furnishings were old and outdated. After attempting to leave, which would have cost us 200.00, they changed our room. This room was better, although still outdated and smelly. We didn't sleep for two days because of the rock-hard bed. The pools were so dirty, we couldn't see the bottom, or even the waist of anyone in the pool. We didn't even attempt to go in... The one and only time we ate at the resort was breakfast. The food was disgusting, we had no service, and were surrounded by fifth. There were dead bugs surrounding us as we ate, and spills all over the floor. Needless to say, we didn't show up for our timeshare presentation. The one thing I will say about this resort, is that it forces you to not want to stay at the hotel at all. My husband and I truly enjoyed discovering all of the sights and restaurants that San Jose had to offer :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KristinaDz2014

Thank you for your feedback.

Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

I really enjoy leaving a quality/helpful review, in hopes it will help others prepare for their trip and inspire others to leave a quality review too. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort from July 10 – 17. We paid approximately $1000 each. Yes, I would go back and recommend this location to others. If you have questions, please message me. Overall, this resort has something to offer anyone. It is located a bit far from the party scene, so if that is what you want, perhaps go to the Cabo San Lucas side. This resort appears to be mostly middle income tourists with a desire to relax and play.

Bit about us:
This is our second time in the Los Cabos area. The first time we stayed at the RIU in the Cabos San Lucas side. My review is still posted under my profile. We are Canadians (Manitoban), married, and in our mid 30s. We aren’t big alcohol drinkers or partiers. I am a teacher and my husband works in the construction industry. I have several diet restrictions, I have celiac disease (gluten free), vegetarian, lactose intolerant (but I can take a pill for that), and I have a severe allergy to seafood/fish (epipen). We have traveled to several different countries, and have stayed at 5 all-inclusive resorts between Mexico, Cuba, and Jamaica ranging from 3.5 – 5 stars. While on vacation, our top priorities are food, clean amenities, relaxation (swimming), quality sight seeing (walking through villages & shopping), and usually participating in 2 active excursions. I always email/phone resorts before booking to ensure it is the most appropriate reservation.

Bird’s Eye view on Our Itinerary:
Day 1 – Traveling to Cabos, arrived in the late afternoon, stayed on resort
Day 2 –Meet with the West Jet travel representative (Terramas agent), stayed on resort (swimming)
Day 3 – The Club presentation, walked to Mega Store, stayed on resort (swimming), shuttle to Cabo San Lucas (walked around, shopped at the markets and mall)
Day 4 – Horseback riding, stayed on resort (swimming)
Day 5 – Walked to San Jose del Cabos along the estuary and back along the roads (shopping, tequila tasting, art galleries), stayed on resort (swimming)
Day 6 – Queen Buccanero Pirate Ship Cruise & Snorkle, stayed on resort (swimming)
Day 7 – Ate Breakfast & packed, Traveling home, left resort at noon.

Beach/Pools:
The ocean coast is very rough, and not suitable for swimming. To swim in the ocean, it is best to take a shuttle or taxi to one of the swimming bays (Chileno Bay is 10 minutes away, or Medano Bay/Lover’s/Divorse Beach is right in Los Cabos). The resort has tennis courts, several bars, and several pools (adult/quiet pool, kid pool, activity pool, family pool, and another kid pool with water features). We enjoyed the quiet pool the most, it is large and had the least amount of guests. All pools have either a swim-up bar, or a bar within a few meters. Again, a few tips are always appreciated by the bar staff.

The family and activity pools are filled with younger people who are looking for more interaction with other people. This is where you will hear loud music, and be encouraged to participate in activities such as water volleyball or dancing. These pools are packed and people seem to be intoxicated.

Food:
Upon arrival, we spoke with the head chef. We discussed my dietary restrictions, and went over ingredients that often hide gluten. One tip, there seemed to be confusion on allowing gluten-based food touch my food, for example, I was served a Portobello mushroom burger on a bun. As soon as it arrived the captain apologized, took it back into the kitchen, where they only removed the bun. I had to explain that I needed a new meal, because it was contaminated. Overall, the food was truly excellent for me. I ate the same entrée for breakfast (GF toast, veggie omelette, fruit). The buffet for breakfast is somewhat small, but has enough to get by on, including oatmeal, French toast, waffles, pancakes, beans, veggies, fruit, cereal, assortment of breads/pastry, potatoes, and tortilla chips. For lighter affair, stick to the omelettes or hard boiled eggs with salsa and fruit. Lunch is not appetizing to me, but the buffet serves burgers, hot dogs, fries, tortilla chips, and a variety of veggies and fruit. I did not eat lunch, my husband did a few times, but it was simply too hot to be weighted down with excess food. Dinner was amazing. I was served a simple salad or caprese salad, main entrée was either a grilled Portobello mushroom stacked with grilled tomato, onion, and cheese & steamed vegetables; GF pizza; GF pasta with grilled veggies; quesadillas made with corn tortillas and veggies. Dessert was often crème caramel, jello, or a fruit plate.

Now for my husband’s dinner, he tried many of the Mexican dishes, and found those to be the best. The resort has themed meals, and the best part is you do not need a reservation. It is a first come first serve basis. The service was excellent, we tipped between $3-5 UDS per meal, pending on service.

Some resorts don’t have enough condiments, as so we usually bring our own. This resort does offer Heinz mayo, ketchup, mustard, a variety of jams/preserves, Italian salad dressing and veg oil & white vinegar. For our comfort, we brought chips, chocolates, sunflower seeds, peanut butter, salad dressing, Gluten Free pizza crusts, and GF bread. They provided the GF pasta, the chef went to purchase it especially for me... very very nice!

The housekeeping staff provide bottled water (that is the only place to get it for free, so when you see her, ask for extra), canned sprite, coke, and coke light (diet coke).

Yes, the alcohol seem to be watered down, I couldn't even establish a 'buzz' after several daiquiris. I would also recommend this resort get a bar menu for those who don't often 'drink'. The mango daiquiris are spectacular.

Things to Do:
We decided to do the horseback riding ($40) for an hour (it was just too hot to go longer) and go on the pirate boat, Queen Buccaneer ($63). We enjoyed both excursions very much.
The horseback riding excursion took us through the mountains, desert, and along the coast. We went to the turtle sanctuary and stopped for pictures at our request. The guide is friendly and told us about celebrities he has met. We tipped him $100 pesos.
On the pirate boat, they provide a lunch, which is not the greatest; hot dogs, chips, and a cold pasta dish – resembling spaghetti in mayo. I had our West Jet/Terramas agent arrange a special lunch for me, it was a simple garden salad. We tipped $10 USD. Suggestion: take water, hat, camera, money for shopping and tips, and sunscreen.

There are many things to do in this area from ATV, Zip lining, Camel or Horse riding, Paddle boards, snorkeling, dolphins, boating, sailing, fishing, snorkeling, city tours, alcohol tasting, etc. The activities cost about $60 – 130 UDS. You can find all the providers online with ease. If you can get a deal online, go for it, or wait to exchange your time for a timeshare presentation.

Remember, haggle for a better price. The mall has many souvenir shops, as do the Freda markets along the roads. We purchased a flavored Patron ($24 USD) and another special pomegranate infused tequila ($36) at the airport, but I do wish I would have purchased the vanilla tequila at the mall for $25 USD. Walking through the San Jose del Cabos was really special, all the vendors are plesent and work hard for your business. We tried several tequilas for $1 USD. We loved the art galleries, especially seeing Mexican folk art, especially Huichol art. The luxery mall in Cabo San Lucas sells everything from Rolex to Tiffany & Co. Just know that if you buy jewelry outside of the luxury mall, you are likely getting fake sterling silver. There are many restaurants along the marina and in San Jose, so if you feel adventurous go for it! A couple we met went for Lobster and Steak for $16 USD each.

At the resort’s concierge desk, you can sign up for the bike tour. It is free.

Stayed in 5000 building, excellent view of the family pool with the water feature, close to restaurants, view of the ocean, balcony, king size bed. The rooms are equipped with a mini fridge with no freezing compartment, and a shower, no tub.
The resort will supply you will soaps, shampoo, and lotion. If you forget a toothbrush, shaving cream, comb, you can request a complimentary one from the front desk. Bring conditioner!!! The rooms have a hair dryer, safe, iron, ironing board, mini coffee maker, and about a dozen hangers. You do not need a electrical converter for plugs. The rooms are cleaned daily and we tipped our housekeeper daily as well. Not that it is significant, but we did not get any cute towel animals or designs on our bed like other all inclusive resorts.

WIFI service was available in our room, although there was interference with the building, so we would just go out onto the balcony if the signal was dropping. WIFI can be easily accessed outdoors, especially if you found the trees where the receivers were mounted (we found one near the adult pool and family pool).
The hotel is clean and in good operation. Yes there are some cracks here and there in the pool, but does that really matter? There were two nights with a dance show. I prefer resorts that offer daily entertainment in the evening. The San Jose town basically shuts down at 10pm, the best party atmosphere is in Cabo San Lucas.

This resort was mostly families and couples. We saw a lot of Mexican tourists, Americans and Canadians. We were told that during the summer months, it is mostly Mexicans, and during the winter is it mostly Americans/Canadians.

Things to know:
• When you get off your airplane, keep walking! Seriously, everyone will say they are there to help you, it is all a lie. When you are outside, you will then see your transportation rep, it is not difficult. After customs, you will appear to go through two areas, each area people will say which resort, or call out different carrier names, just keep walking until you are outside. The first time we were in Los Cabos we were told that they would give us all sorts of excursions for free if we attending their presentation. They kept telling us we had lots of time, when in fact, we missed our transfer shuttle and they took zero responsibility for lying to us!!! This time we were doing well, but I forgot there are the two areas you must walk through, to get outside. I almost got suckered in when someone said they would tell us the bus number we needed to find.
• The resort is also very bad for this, you will see people wearing name tags that say “The Club” they will insist it is not a time share. Regardless, it is in essence a time share. But you can definitely exchange your time for free stuff. They will say they want to tell you about the resort and give you information, but their goal is to get you to attend their presentation.
• After speaking with our west jet rep, we decided to attend the time share presentation. We were able to get our excursions (horseback and pirate ship) paid for in exchange for the 90 presentation at the resort). Another couple received $60USD cash, $50 in jewelry, zip lining excursion for 2 and ATV excursion for 2 paid for in full, including transportation. Many other people went on a sunset cruise or a full day tour/shopping/snorkel excursion with a glass bottom boat.
• The presentation started off ok, but at the end, when they get the manager (who attempts to salvage a deal), they become insulting, rude, ignorant and aggressive. We knew that this would likely be the outcome, so we stood our ground and at the end of 90 minutes, we said NOT INTERESTED and demanded our vouchers.
• Share a shuttle with other guests to get the best rate on transportation.
• If you are Canadian, bring Canadian dollars as they are treated at par to USD. You will also want to get some Mexican pesos. We brought $800 pesos and $300 USD cash. We realize now, that bringing CAD would have been much better. There are banks such as Scotia Bank available at the mall. When you use your credit card, you will be charged in USD. You will only be charged a service fee if you use a privately operated ATM machine (same as at home).
• This area is incredibly safe. We really took advantage of the luxury mall (the prices are cheaper then at home or in the US, and you get a 5% discount plus an additional 9% refund once you provide a copy of your passport and travel itinerary). None of our buys went missing, not once did we feel in danger when walking down the marina or through town with our bags, and the credit card amount charged was accurate.
• We heard rumblings that the glass bottom boats are not the safest. I would agree. If you want to do a boat tour with snorkeling, please go on a more equipped boat with a ladder. Glass bottom boats are generic fishing boats.
• Los Cabos has a Walmart, Costco, Sams Club, Mega Store… very very Americanized!
• If you need sunscreen or over the counter medicine, go to the Mega store or Walmart. The resort store will charge $30 for sunscreen!
• You can bring a inflatables into the pools.
• Rooms have connecting room doors, for added peace, bring 1-2 cheap plastic door stoppers and wedge that under the doors.
• A good price for the vibrant coloured Mexican blankets are $10-15 USD.
• Hats tend to go around $10-17.
• The mall has the best deals for kid shirts, often 3 for $15 or less.
• Do not hand over, or misplace your white Mexican customs card. Keep it tucked in with your passport in the safe! You can carry a photocopy of your passport instead! Bring a photocopy of your health cards too!
• You do not need an electrical converter.
• Bring a travel luggage scale if you are worried about overage.
• The resort will supply you will soaps, shampoo, and lotion. Bring conditioner!!!
• Pack a pen in your carry on, to fill in the visa documents.
• Pack a set of ear plugs and earphones in your carry on.
• Treda is a local medicine, that is really good if you get any tummy issues. It costs about 150 pesos, available at most pharmacy shops. We took one a day, just to prevent issues, and it works like a charm everywhere we go!

Room Tip: 5000 was good, make sure your AC works, request an upgrade if nec.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
16 Thank WinnipegJennie
patricia032158, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Gracias por su retroalimentación tan positiva. Estamos contentos de saber que tuvo una experiencia tan positiva en nuestra propiedad durante su última visita.

Comentarios como los suyos nos motivan a trabajar más fuerte para asegurarnos que nuestros huéspedes tengan una estancia placentera.

Los esperamos de unevo en un futuro cercano

Atentamente,
Gerente General
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Hey, when we arrived there were issues with our room, they had us on the ground floor literally on the main walk way. So needles to say i wasn't going to stay there... Went back to lobby and told the gal, she reluctantly gave me another room, but when we got there the key wouldn't work. I called the front desk and they sent a maintenance man. Turns out it was the lock and couldn't be fixed till the next day.. Which i knew meant a "Mexican minute", and likely wouldn't happen for 2 days! I finally called the manager and explained the issues and that i would like to please be accommodated! Jesus was his name, he was pleasant, as was i! About 45 mins later we were in and ocean view room on the 3rd floor, with everything working, except the phone but was fine to us as we wouldn't receive any of the annoying calls to attend a meeting for time shares! Lol!
There isn't much of a lobby, or any entertainment other than the sweet lady singing in the bar.
The main pools are full with kids and loud music, and daily entertainment! We spent most of our time at the adult pool, and bar! Alma is a very, nice, funny person , she makes great drinks too, we looked forward to seeing her every day!
Yes the ocean is rough, but if u judge the under toe, you can stand in and enjoy the beautiful warm waves! The beach is absolutely beautiful, we took our towels, water, and we chilled there daily!
Dont forget the water as it can be a lonnngg walk in the heat. loloo!
The food and the service were pretty good! Everyone very pleasant, and accommodating. The food was pretty tasty! On a few nights they had entertainment and an outside bbq dinner with really good food!
You can get tacos all day at the outside lunch area, as well as tocos, hamburgers, hotdogs, fries and nacho chips and cheese from the snack bar.
We stayed here from july 3 to july10. The weather was very hot! Many days averaging 104, and hotter! Loved the heat! It is their slow season, not sure if in the busy season if id like it there as much!
We met a lot of nice peeps from all over.. Shout out to austin Texas.. Mexico city.. Oklahoma.. BC...LA...san Fran.. Arizona!
All in all great last min trip, good price, good times!
we would definitely return for the right pice, and in july.
Lisa, TO, Canada.

Room Tip: I always choose top floor, our ac worked fine, beds weren't too bad.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lisa L
Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos, for your last trip.

Thank you for giving us your impressions and reviews of such a good experience.We strive to provide great service and comfort for our guest and appreciate when our guest are happy with their stays.

Thank you again for your feedback.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

This was our families first vacation out of the country and it was AMAZING! ! We were there for 10 days... The staff at the Holiday Inn is so courteous. The grounds are absolutely stunning. The food was fine, drinks were great. We Spent a lot of time at the pool And we met Some Of the activity staff that actually made this trip more memorable they were Karen, Carlos and Oscar. Because of Karen and Carlos's warm, caring hospitality we are already planning our next trip to the Holiday Inn because of them!! I hope the Holiday Inn realizes that they have many fabulous employees and this is what truly makes there business successful.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Suzanne H
patricia032158, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. We are very happy that you had a positive experience in our property during your last visit.

Thank you very much for your nice compliments to Karen, Carlos and Oscar, we will be sure to pass these along to them.

I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is our second 2-week stay in the past year so I have a pretty good overall take on this property.

Front Desk: see Raul, he will do anything he can for you. The people are awesome staff wise.

Rooms: avoid building 4 - a/c stinks. I went to the Mega and bought a small fan and it made my nights great. The Mega is a 25 minute walk or a $8 taxi for a party of 5. First floor rooms are nice to hang out in. I would never suggest a second floor room.

Food: eggs are bland as can be if you don't wait for the cook to make you an omelet. Sausage every so often. Hashbrowns once, but under cooked potatoes every day. Fish tacos great and I'm not a fish eater. Dinners rated 7+ most nights. Lunch at Caribeno......beer wise you have a choice between Tecate and Dos XX. There are no menus there, but you can order a quesadilla, tacos, and cheese burgers.

Grounds: older property with many multiple layer painted objects......looks tacky. Rusted out things in multiple areas. Ceramic tiles cracked all over and many replaced that don't 100% match. Shower had a small amount of mold......I sneezed a lot. Overall though it is good, just stuff a business should work on getting right at some point.

Suggestion: research Los Cabos Vouchers and the Los Cabos Passport. Great deals to be had. If you go here understanding what you paid it really is worth it. It is at the very end of the hotel strip. Walk to the Mega. The bus stop is across the main highway from the Mega (going to your left). Get off by Burger King if you are going to the marina. Be aware that there are 3 different "types" of busses. Make sure to get on the one that looks like it came from the states....not a school bus looking one hahahaha....this one is modern and has A/C.

I'm sure there is a lot I left out, but I'm trying not to repeat. I will end on saying how amazed I am that a small group of drunks can be so disruptive to the enjoyment of others and not care at all.

Room Tip: First floor #1, third #2, second last.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ExtremeTravel17
Thank you for giving your impressions and reviews of your experiences.

I will make sure to share this with our staff so that we can improve on these things.Comments like yours give us an invaluable opportunity to target our attention to those areas and/or individuals involved in order to provide a better service.

I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Covina, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

rooms were clean a little outdated, food was not so great. the entire hotel is very clean. Nice pool good place for the budget. It is a little far from everything. Hotel should have a better activity schedule since the shopping centers are far. More entertainment and a better variety of food would be great feels like we ate the same things everyday.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cakes4life
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay in our resort. I would like to begin apologizing for not fulfilling your expectations around the activities and food offered. Comments like yours give us an invaluable opportunity to target our attention to those areas and/or individuals involved in order to provide a better service.

Thank you again for your comments, and I hope we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

I remain at your disposal for any further question.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#40 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,559 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,988 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive? Share your experiences!