“beautiful setting in quaint san jose del cabo, mexico”
Review of Casa Natalia

Casa Natalia
Los Angeles, California
“beautiful setting in quaint san jose del cabo, mexico”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

did not stay at the hotel but had a tour, very nice. outdoor garden has a super quaint restaurant. fountains, light music, hammocks to relax in, spacious tables. very attentive service, excellent food, in this super quaint setting, all set of the main square area in san jose. thanks for having us, and we will return.
** my rating below is on the restaurant **

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank acmcdonald
CasaNatalia, Public Relations Manager at Casa Natalia, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
We are so pleased you were able to tour the hotel and dine at the restaurant. Our chef will be delighted with your kind review. We take great pride in the quality of our staff as well as the ambiance of the property. You are most welcome back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
san francisco
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed here at the beginning and end of our trip and had a fabulous stay both times. The staff are truly wonderful and go out of their way to make you comfortable. The rooms are unique and comfortable and the pool is perfect. Location is fabulous. We didn't have a hard time parking but we were there in late Aug and early Sept so it was low season. Only complaint is that mattresses are pretty hard.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BSHinSF
CasaNatalia, Public Relations Manager at Casa Natalia, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at our boutique hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! We take special pride in the level of customer service provided by our staff for all of our guests. Thank you as well for the feedback about the firmness of your mattress. We will take that under consideration.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 August 2013

(This is a long review, but I hopefully answer a lot of questions you may have about Casa Natalia, renting a car, the airport and the local area - and my experience)

I am actually currently still staying at the property and I cannot rave enough about the overall feel and comfort of the property. It is located smack in the center of San Jose Del Cabo - it is a smaller town located maybe 30 minutes from Cabo San Lucas - spend a few nights here for peace and quiet.

The property is right in the center of the "downtown" area - there a ton of shops near by and some good places to grab a drink and site see. The hotel is so just comforting and calm, they only have 19 rooms total, or 18 I forget and the standard rooms are of great size! The front desk staff is amazing, the restaurant and bar staff is out of this world. I had a steak my first night and it was perfect! The drinks are fantastic and as a hotel guest you receive 10% off Food and Beverage (Minus their happy hour). I had a mango mojito and it ran me around $6.50USD and $85 Pesos. Tamarind mojitos are amazing too! The dinner was steak, mojito and bread for $28USD. I think that is pretty amazing for a hotel -

The room overall is just amazing, you walk in through one door (All the rooms are decorated differently) and there is a small enclosed private patio area with a hammock and 2 chairs/table. Then you go through a sliding glass door to your room - I had a king bedded room and it was overall very spacious. The floor is tile and the A/C works (Yes you will hear it, but that is because the unit is in the wall in your room - most people think that the A/C in a hotel room is loud ... most hotels of this size dont have central A/C so keep in mind that your home has central usually) Rant Complete. The A/C keeps the room cool and it is controlled by a remote that you can have by your bed. There are two ceiling fans in the main room - awesome! The TV is amazing! I was thrown back by the size and it looks brand new. (I got the seashell decorated room - Conchas)

The bed is really hard, just FYI - I am not sure if the rooms are all the same, but be aware of that. It is actually pretty comfortable and you forget about it after a while. They had the cutest little flower design on the bed when I got there! The sheets and bedding are fine, standard. There is a small couch, chair and table in the room with a small working desk as well. The bathroom is big, the closet ROCKS and has a lot of space to hang clothing up and even shoe cubbies!

There is only one sink, but no big deal - a lot of counter space and places to put items. The shower is so cool, it is all stone and a step down into it creates its own little space. The toilet has a door to it so it is more private. (The bathroom does not have a door on it)

The pool area is small, but so cute - there are hammocks and comfortable chairs to sit. The restaurant area is small and intimate and the staff is so on top of it - just relax and enjoy the peace. There is room service and it really isn't that much more - You can smoke, but only outside on the patio - but be mindful of the people around you.

There is coffee in the AM and there is always a staff member to assist - note the front desk closes at like 11PM I think till 6:30AM so no one is there - but they give you a key to get into the hotel. Everything feels so safe here no matter what time, the room does have an old fashion key to get in the room so no crappy key cards to die on you etc.

The area outside the hotel is so amazing, so many stores and kind locals. Yes, Spanish is the main language out here, but all the hotel staff speaks English and most people around the area do too. At 8AM-11AM there is a woman with a taco cart outside, do not miss that what so ever - it is $15pesos ($1.20USD) for a taco and soup - man - I will dream about that. Then at night there is two or three other food carts that show up with fried goodness and fresh Churros and corn - oh man. Cheap Cheap Cheap!

If you plan to rent a car here are random things you need to know - there is a mandatory tax for Liability Insurance in Mexico - I rented from Dollar Rent a Car and the car only costs $8 a day but then there is a $20 charge per day for the insurance. (It is not a scam, its the law - please do not make the US look dumb because you won't accept other countries have different laws) There is also collision insurance you can get, but dont need it - if you opt out they will hold $3K plus on your card, but it is only a hold. American CC car insurance does not work in Mexico!) Do not get an expensive car, make sure just to get a standard car - you will not fit in with an expensive car and you will stand out for sure. Driving out here is not too bad, but not the same rules as Canada or the US. Keep in mind everything is in Kilometers and just stay with the flow of traffic. (Below is how to get to a car rental place) If you are from a small US city or used to easy driving, this place might be crazy for you. If you are from CA or NY - you will be right at home haha.

If you are driving to San Jose Del Cabo it is about a 15-20 min drive and yes, Mexico looks a lot like the movies portray it. (I do not mean to stereotype, but I was amazed) Super nice people though and very outgoing and welcoming. The hotel is tough to find at first, the streets are narrow and one ways not marked - go with the flow on how the cars are parked. There is parking right outside the hotel, but is busy during the day. Parking is free :)

Airport - The airport looks brand new and is totally updated - sit in the front of the airplane if possible - anyone who has gone through customs knows that it is easier to get through fast. The airport looks like it unloads a plane one per hour etc. You get off the plane, go down two escalators and go to immigration. It is quick, but be the first down there to make it simple. You go through that and it is baggage claim - they came out super fast for me! If you rented a car you will see the bank of car rental signs next to it (Can't miss it) and just check in with them - the next thing you do is go through Customs - they ask you quickly if you brought anything in, you press a red button and you walk through - they were not really inspecting anyone. The next part is important ...

You will then go through sliding glass doors, there has to be 50+ people trying to sell you time shares - just walk through and do not make eye contact - say no and they will leave you alone - then you go through another set of doors and same thing. I made the mistake of asking directions and he was totally wrong when circling stuff on the map ( I had researched prior) then asked me if I was over 35 and im not so he stopped haha.

Walk through all of that and you will come up to, get this, a Subway restaurant, clear as day. To the right of that exit the airport - there then is 50+ cab drivers, more timeshare people and the car rental people - the car rental people hold signs so go to them and no one else. If you choose cab, this is the place. The funny thing is there is a bar right when you exit, a bar that looks like you will find at a club - I laughed and kinda wanted a drink but opted out haha.

It is a short drive to San Jose and maybe a 40 min drive to Cabo. I have heard that Cabs can run high out here, so do not let them scam you, but be reasonable. Once you find the car rental guy they help you in and in less than 5 minutes bring you over to your respected car rental place. I recommend Dollar Rent a Car or Alamo (From what I have seen) -

The drive to the hotel is kinda stressful at first, but just relax and go with the flow - drive a little aggressively - there are stickers on the back of all rental cars stating the name of the car rental place - people know you are totally a tourist. haha

Be careful, just keep in mind you are in another country (If coming from outside Mexico) I saw people getting pulled over by the police a few times - so just be smart with the decisions you make. Co-workers have told me that Mexican Jail is not a place you want to end up in.

Open your mind, eat the local food - the water is fine and stop checking your phone or computer. (I am here for work, so boo) but enjoy the time you are here. It is an amazing culture, Casa Natalia is great and the people are awesome.

Room Tip: All the rooms are amazing - they have it pre assigned when you arrive
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank reinventtravel
CasaNatalia, Public Relations Manager at Casa Natalia, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
What a great (and informative) review! We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your stay at our boutique hotel. We take great pride in training our staff on excellent customer service, as well as proud to be in the center of San Jose del Cabo. We hope that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that you will consider us if you return to Los Cabos.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Staying at the Casa Natalia was a perfect end to my 3weeks in Baja. This small boutique hotel is the perfect place to really relax. The service is exceptional. it's small enough to be treated like a star,and to have anything you could want, but the staff is never hovering. Each morning breakfast is brought to your beautifully designed room or suite, exactly the time it was ordered the night before. The choices are many and the coffee hot. It is your choice whether to have breakfast on the little very private terrace,or in the airconditioned room. Outside rolled towels are in a basket to use on the comfortable chaises around the stunning 1/2 moon shaped pool. After a few margaritas, it's time for a shower and then a delicious dinner outside. The cuisine is fresh and current.Again the service is terrific. After dinner a walk around the plaza is a wonderful ending to an awesome day. I am planning another trip to Casa Natalia, knowing everything will be perfect again. This place really pays attention to details, and I know my return trip will be even better

Room Tip: They are all individually designed with contemporary Mexican touches. Ive only seen a photo of the s...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Varvara63
CasaNatalia, Public Relations Manager at Casa Natalia, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our small hotel, and honored that you took the time to write such a wonderful review! We know that small details are the difference between a nice stay and an outstanding one. Our staff takes great pride in providing our guests exceptional customer service, and our restaurant is always preparing fresh and innovative dishes for our guests and patrons alike. We look forward to your return, and thank you for choosing Casa Natalia.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here with a group of friends after several days at Cabo San Lucas. What a terrific ending to our trip. We fell in love with Casa Natalia from the moment we walked in. The gentleman at the front desk could not have been more accommodating. We arrived early and he quickly took our bags and recommended places to us. Upon our return, he allowed us early check in to our rooms. The rooms were charming, and all were decorated differently. We marveled at the architecture, the use of space, and decorations. Additionally, this hotel is in an excellent location, right by the town square, the church and many interesting shops. After some shopping and walking around town, we returned and quickly changed into our bathing suits. The pool was fabulous and refreshing. It has a great waterfall feature that gives an excellent back massage. To our great delight, we found out happy hour (2 for 1 drinks) went from noon to 6. We started trying their yummy-made-from-scratch concoctions, such as strawberry jalapeño margaritas, tamarind margaritas, blueberry mojitos, etc they delivered our drinks poolside, while we relaxed. After resting and a shower, it was a delicious dinner at the restaurant on site. The food and service were great!! They made our taxi reservations for the airport, took care of everything we needed. in the morning, we had a pot of coffee and fresh squeezed orange juice delivered to our room. The rooms have a lovely patio where you can relax. This place was magical! It was beautiful, relaxing, with excellent service. This is not a huge resort that could be located anywhere. It is a boutique hotel that captures the romance and ambiance of Mexico. If you are going to San Jose, pick this great place, you will not be sorry.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kealoha
CasaNatalia, Public Relations Manager at Casa Natalia, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Thank you for your delightful review of our hotel and restaurant! We are happy to hear of the quality of service you received from our staff. Being a boutique hotel, we attempt to make sure all of our guests have an experience such as yours. We are proud of our location in San Jose del Cabo, and of our property. We hope that if you come back to San Jose del Cabo in the future, you will choose our hotel again.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 July 2013

This hotel is right in the historic plaza of San Jose del Cabo. For those of you renting a car, there is no parking lot. However, we stayed there for 4 nights and never had an issue with parking on the street. The plaza itself is nice and has a jalapeno bush in it so once you step outside of the hotel the lovely scent of jalapenos fill the air.

There are shops and restaurants near the hotel but if you don't feel like going out for food, the food at the hotel is wonderful. There is daily breakfast, which they bring up to your room and the lunch and dinner are both fabulous. I had the best beet salad of my life here and I love beet salad so that's saying a lot.

The service is excellent and they never pushed me to purchase activities through the hotel like some touristy places do. They were very helpful and friendly.

The rooms themselves were well air-conditioned and beautifully decorated. They were colorful, comfortable, and clean. The pool was small but big enough to do some swimming and the pool area was nicely lined with palm trees, chairs, and hammocks.

I would definitely recommend this boutique hotel to anyone who is looking for a nice relaxing vacation in Los Cabos, away from the crazy party scene of downtown Cabo San Lucas, which is only 25km away.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank winnieeo
CasaNatalia, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Natalia, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review and we see you posted a beautiful photo of the pool! We like to think it is a small oasis within the hotel, and of course, all of our guests can have access to our beach club just a 5 minute complimentary scheduled cab ride away.
We are also pleased that you enjoyed your room and had a great interaction with our staff - we take pride in our customer service to provide delightful experiences for all of our guests. We hope you will consider us if you ever travel to San Jose del Cabo again.
Fort Worth, TX
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Located in downtown San Jose it is an intimate experience with the city. We have stayed there twice. The hotel is close to the city square and during the first stay a city festival was held at night and was quite charming. The visitor gets a real feel for this lesser known of the peninsula cities.

The hotel is clean, well maintain and the service people amiable. The rooms come with a balcony and breakfast is served in a relaxed atmosphere. Dinner is very good with fresh foods and an adequate wine list all reasonably priced.

Recent changes in traffic patterns now make the hotel more difficult to reach, but it's worth the effort

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank meganephron
CasaNatalia, Guest Relations Manager at Casa Natalia, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
It is such a pleasure to see that you had come back to San Jose del Cabo to stay with us again! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the service provided by our staff.
While San Jose del Cabo is still relatively untouched by all the recent construction, it is true that there are several road improvement projects to improve traffic from the airport.
We look forward to seeing you again!