“even better the second time around”
Review of Casa Natalia

Casa Natalia
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Casa Natalia is the perfect vacation escape. Staff is helpful, courteous, and always willing to go the extra distance to keep guests happy. The entire facility is immaculate, common areas and the delightful bedrooms and verandas. The hotel restaurant is one of the best in town. The bar snacks are good too. I loved being in San Jose del Cabo. There is plenty to do, including gallery night on Thursday. It is a huge plus to have free transport to the Beach Club. I’m planning my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 March 2009

I chose to stay at Casa Natalia primarily because it was a member of Small Luxury Hotels. Figured you couldn't go wrong. There are many fine large hotels located on the corridor between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas which are beachfront. This hotel was a sister to Casa Del Mar and you could take their shuttle to the beach. My husband would have preferred to stay in Cabo San Lucas but I found that town to be in a permanent state of Spring Break. In San Jose Del Cabo there were stores where people actually did not speak English. The staff at Casa Natalia were very helpful. Being a member of Small Luxury Hotels frequent traveler group (which is free) we were upgraded to a suite which included a private hot tub. We were provided a welcome treat of margaritas with homemade chips and dip (some of the best I've ever had). Very quite hotel, maybe saw 1 person at the pool. We had a private driver during our trip and I inquired if there were any hotels of this caliber in Cabo San Lucas and he said nothing as nice as Casa Natalia. I thought this hotel was outstanding and I do not offer that rating lightly.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 March 2009

Three nights at Casa Natalia were a perfect end to a trip that had been mostly spent in rural Mexico. From the up-grade to a suite (without asking), and the flowers on the bed at arrival to the friendly good-byes at departure from a staff who it seemed I had known for years rather than a couple days, my wife and I had a wonderful stay.
San Jose del Cabo is my favorite town in Baja, and Casa Natalia is my favorite hotel in Mexico. Sitting on the patio, either at the room or outside the lobby, the breeze through the palms and the sound of the waterfalls totally block out all urban noise, providing a wonderful place to read and rest.
The owner Nathalie and the staff, especially Caesar who was everwhere and did everything, were friendy and caring. The hotel's location on the main plaza made exploring San Jose and its arts district easy, and the restaurant was excellent.
If you have had enough of the Baja beach scene and the Cabo glitz, Casa Natalia is the perfect place.

1  Thank wlb23
Reviewed 21 February 2009

I am surprised reading some of the other reviews--some people would not be happy anywhere. Treat people like humans and not wait staff, and they respond. We observed a fellow American couple being a pain in the restaurant. Casa Natalia is a fanatastic experience--the rooms are clean and beautiful, you have your own private balcony with hammock, the beds are decorated daily with flowers, etc. etc. The onsite restaurant (Mi Cocina) is superb--ask for David or Christian. They are both superb waiters. Damiana margaritas are highly recommended!!

1  Thank estebanNewMexico
Reviewed 17 February 2009

Wonderful staff (thank you Marco for all your help) and charming grounds. Rooms were fine but nothing exceptional...they definitely meet most standards but you must not stay on the ground floor rooms.....ANTS!!!!!!

I prefer short stays here over extended visits. A bit pricey for what you get in the way of amenities relative to other properties nearby.

For "downtown" lodging...take a look at Encanto Inn.

• Check-in / front desk
1  Thank Sullyken
Reviewed 13 February 2009

I spend 1 or 2 weeks a year in Casa Natalia, and for me it's really the greatest hotel in the world. Every year, i am looking forward to go back and i was never disappointed, the service , the kitchen, the friendly staff is every time the same and it is even always getting better.
I don't understand how some poeple cannot like this charming, warm atmosphere of Casa Natalia, for me it's the best and i am looking forward to my next trip to San Jose, to Casa Natalia, who fortunate enough for me is next week....
Casa Natalia staff we are loofing forward to seeing you..

Stayed: February 2008
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We stayed in this hotel over New Year 2008 / 2009 and were extremely disappointed from start to finish. The hotel fraudulently used my credit card - we are in a dispute to get a refund as the hotel refuses to refund me. I have worked in the hotel industry and consider this hotel to be extremely bad value for money with no customer service ethic.

Starting at the end, we thought the service was below standard and did not wish to pay the 15% service charge (on top of $500 per night cost incl. tax). I explained this to the receptionist at check out who processed my payment for incidentals, agreeing not to charge me for service (everything else had been pre-paid excluding service & incidentals). That evening I received an email from her saying that she had charged my credit card for the service despite my explicit instructions (and her agreement) not to. There ensued 5 days of emails requesting that she refund my card but to no avail. I am currently pursuing the hotel through my card provider.

Other complaints:
1 Getting a reply to my emails before arrival was extremely difficult leaving me somewhat frustrated especially as we had already paid over $ 2700 in prepayments.
2 No-one collected us from the airport despite pre-ordering (via the hotel) a taxi to collect us.
3 The rooms are mediocre - very dark, averagely appointed with clunky furniture, no bath, DVD / music player did not work.
4 Breakfast is served in your room & you have to pre-order it the night before and agree a time - not very relaxing if you happen to have a lie in! If you choose more than one item from a category you are charged for it even if you don't have something from another category!
5 The pool is absolutely tiny (3 metres at its widest by about 5 metres) and gets no sunshine during the day owing to high wall on one side. It is more like a jacuzzi.
6 No-one in the bar knew the prices of drinks and we were constantly waiting whilst someone established the prices of things.
7 The shuttle bus to the beach goes and returns once a day which is not always a convenient time.
8 The beach hotel that you go to is one of two. Both have quite rough seas that you can barely swim in. One, however, is extremely dangerous to swim in and the pool at this 'hotel' is not heated so there is no way of cooling down safely and comfortably. Indeed this hotel is more or less a building site as the owners have run out of money. The chef did not turn up to work when we were there so there was nothing to eat (absoultely nothing - no peanuts, no tortilla chips, nada!) and the bus was not returning for 4.5 hours!!!

I found the staff very variable and not customer oriented but I expect this comes from the owners. This hotel started as a restaurant and that is where the skill lies. They should give up their attempts to run a hotel although it is obviously very lucrative for them.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family