“AMAZING”

Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This was our first time on the west coast of Mexico, we usually go to the Riviera Maya.
We loved the west coast and we loved Zoetry!!
I won't repeat everything that has already been said but I'll point out that although the resort is very small (we were told 42 rooms by the staff) it does appear quite big because of all the time share condos on the same property.
Zoetry does allow kids 2 and up (I read a review from a member that wasn't sure kids were accepted, yes they are) BUT Zoetry will not give special discounts to kids, because of that there are not that many kids on site, we saw 2.... honestly I would not take my kids there because it is SOOOOO quiet.
There is an adult only pool, where we spent most of the time, and they do reenforce the adult only policy (they did turn away families with children).

Food is amazing and healthy and NO BUFFET!!! (not even at breakfast!!!)
Rooms are beautiful
Beach is gorgeous, you can walk for hours...
We just sooooooo loved it!!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are ocean view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rouleaj

Reviewed 3 August 2011

We spent a long weekend without kids at Casa Del Mar and had a wonderful time. The hotel was incredibly relaxing - about half way between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabos, it was in a quieter area. The beach was beautiful, with rough surf that was fun to watch and listen to (a swimmable area is about a 10 minute walk away). The hotel had numerous pools to sit by - our favorite pool was actually on the beach, so we could sit in the pool and watch the surf. The customer service was top notch - there was always someone to fill your glass or give you a towel, but you never felt imposed upon. The rooms were beautiful (although there are some parts of the hotel that are being worked on and there was some noise during the day). The restaurants were terrific - we especially liked the tables on the sand - and the food was incredible (they even made things for us that were not on the menu when we asked!). We would go back in a heartbeat!

Reviewed 2 August 2011

This trip was planned way ahead as a birthday gift for my boyfriend to Cabo. Upon arriving we were very excited and anticipating the hotel we had booked with. Reviews for the hotel great and seemed to meet our expectation. Originally, We had prior reservations to Zoetry Casa Del Mar's sister hotel next door, Dreams. After checking in the Manager pulled us to the side and explained that their reservation systems overbooked the hotel rooms and he was willing to transfer us over to Zoetry CDM. At first I was very reluctant and disappointed that this situation would happen to me, after all the great reviews i've heard of the hotel. I explained to the manager of Dreams, Rafael that this reservation for the room was made in early february or january and if anything was wondering shouldn't i have first priority but he kindly explained that it's not based on the date of the reservation but more of the day of arrival. He explained that the hotel he would be sending us to would be a star more than the Dreams hotel, which Dreams was considered 4 stars. Still reluctant he explained the amenities they offered, which sounded great at the time but i still did not want to agree to something and be stuck with something that would not have been great as what i expected Dreams to be. I asked for a brochure and it seemed pretty legit. He also explained by me staying at Casa Del Mar I would still be entitled to all the benefits of Dreams hotel (Restaurants, Spas, Pools, Activities). That offer seemed pretty fair enough for me. Before agreeing i asked would i be compensated for my inconvenience for switching hotels, and there he offered me and my boyfriend 2 complimentary 50 min Swedish massages at our new hotel. Which paid off since being a guest at Zoetry you are entitled to a 20 min complimentary massage also. So in the end we got to enjoy 2 free massages! Once i agreed, knowing i had no other choice, a shuttle quickly arrived to take us free of charge to the hotel.

Getting to our rooms, it was beautiful. Walk in frosted glass door showers and restrooms paired up next to each other, A jetted jacuzzi bath tub that opened up to the sleeping area, 2 downward steps that separated the bathroom from the bedroom, and a balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean and infinity pool of the hotel. The view was great, the waves at this beach were so strong it was a serene background noise to fall asleep to in the room. Housekeeping came 3x daily, and laundry service was also all inclusive.

The service here was very personable and they were indeed very friendly. I would seriously have to say the service here was just GREAT! i loved it! It seemed like here the staff were trained to never tell a guest "NO". Anything that we asked for was done.

Food and drinks here.... i must say, something you would definitely not expect from an all inclusive resort. Presentation and taste seemed like it was from a fine dining gourmet restaurant! Filet Mignon, awesome! Dinner on the beach, awesome! Service at times did seem a little overwhelmed in the restaurants but a smile was always carried and I guess a small staff is what they aim for in order to become personable with their guest.

Never a day of complaint from this hotel, and I seriously left with out wanting to leave. This hotel seriously treated us like queens and kings! Because of this place, i never want to look for anything lower than 5 stars!

1  Thank Maxinenene
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Zoetry Casa Del Mar:  Good, but not great.  Bottom line: a little disappointed.
My wife and I stayed at Zoetry CDM the second week of July 2011.
Filling out the hotel exit survey, the question that I was torn over, but sets the tone for my review was:  Will you return? Sadly, I could not whole heartedly circle yes. My answer: "I don't know?!".

In fact, at other resorts which I thought Zoetry Casa Del Mar would compare to... my answer has been: "I can't wait to return, and we are already planning our next trip here!".
There are some great aspects of ZCDM and I can see how this place could be what I was expecting. But, unfortunately, there were several small things which added up and slightly soured our stay at this otherwise lovely place.

First the good: Excellent food and drinks! No buffet, all freshly made food and drinks with great menu choices.
Great location, grounds, facilities, rooms, and views… all top notch.  The hotel is set on a large uncrowded bay in which you can see other hotels, but you do not see rows of the other hotel's loungers on the beach and don't hear the music or shouting from other hotels.  Makes it feel like you are alone on your own little island.   At the Beach club pool/ restaurant area, most tables for dinner are out on the sand, you can not beat this spot at sunset, toes in the sand while eating was fantastic. Casa Del Mar (Notice that I am purposely not saying Zoetry Casa Del Mar, a little more about this later.) has 2 main pools, the main pool and the beach club pool.  Both have bars and food service, the chaise lounges are comfortable and are quality furniture.  Both pools are really well built and very scenic.  The beach pool is as close to the ocean as I have seen around Cabo.  For most of the time, these areas are calm and peaceful.  The rooms are very clean, had great views, modern quality furnishings (not over the top), very comfortable beds, mini fridge that is well stocked with drinks and nuts, no problems with hot water or water pressure.
The staff: bartenders, waiters, maids are all very friendly and hardworking.
It is a great treat to have free laundry service.
The resort is relatively small, which lends itself to personalized service.  The actual census of the hotel during our 5 night stay was somewhere between 15 to 25 guests.

The not so good: These are my perceptions, but as a guest of the hotel, my perception is my reality.  Sorry Zoetry ,but here we go.
The staff at some times seemed overwhelmed or short of people.  At other resorts of this caliber, the staff will start to anticipate what you want, this was the exception rather than the rule during our stay.
Was this due to the low amount of guests at the time of our stay? I don't know?!

At some food services offering of bread or water was inconsistent. At times, menus not delivered in a timely fashion, or not at all.  No cold drinking water at certain times at bar around the pool, or running out of a bottle of plain vodka at one bar (no more mixed vodka drinks).  Is this normal for ZCDM or just an anomaly for the time of our stay?  I don't know?!

Kids at the main pool.  Not calm kids... unsupervised, yelling, running, jumping into the pool, wildly shooting water guns at each other and squirting other guests.  In fact, 5 people left this pool because of this.  But wait, how can this happen if Zoetry is an adults only hotel?  Well, Zoetry is adults only hotel, but you are sharing the complex with Casa Del Mar Condos in which the amenities are available for all who stay at the condos, kids included (at the main pool).  Kids were having a great time. I did not expect this when booking.  So is this really an adults only hotel?  I don't know?!

As stated above, the lower beach club/ ocean side pool at times was so calm and peaceful... you feel like you are in your own little paradise (this is good).  But the asset of being small can quickly turn into a liability.  Example: Time share sales group of 5 people touring property was dropped off at the pool, the noise at this pool was instantly unbearable, due to the annoying loud and inappropriate banter of 2 of the young females in this group. Not only were they loud, but whining about not getting the food they ordered (which they ate while sitting in the pool), they went on and on how boring it was at Zoetry. Once they left, peaceful again.  Does this happen often/ is this the norm?  I don't know?!

The beach club pool at the end of the week had a top layer of dead bugs in it.  Is the pool cleaned daily?  I don't know?!

No check out time?  This was another selling point that I found on the hotel's web site and was excited about when I booked.  When I informed the front desk we had a 5 pm departure flight and would like to check out at 2 pm.  I was politely informed: No, you will have to check out at 12, the hotel has other guests that will be checking into your room today, and it would really help us out if you vacate the room at 12.  But, you can still use our facilities and our bell hops will keep your bags.  I thought to myself, aren't there only like 20 other people here right now?  And I know at least 6 people are checking out today.  How many rooms are there at this hotel?   No big deal, but as I was later thinking about it, how is having this advertised but not followed through with it setting you apart from other hotels?  I don't know?!

Other examples (these I do not blame on hotel but these minor annoyances added to the negative): A couple of separate groups going way too big on their day 1's, getting too drunk and acting obnoxiously.  By all means drink, have a good time, socialize with everyone.  But do not get sloppy drunk, and be a nuisance to every one around you.
Another small group brought their own speakers (not headphones) with I-pod to the pool because they didn't like the music played by the resort...So now we are listening to the hotels selected music and your music.  Mr. Oblivious and his crew of 8 decided to play guess what song is on my playlist as I DJ and sing along.  Really???   I am the one that needs to tell you to act appropriately and respect the rest of the guests?  I don't know?!

My stay was not ruined by the negatives, but in respect to the aspects the hotel could control, it seemed as if the hotel staff found it easier to ignore some situations. At times, I was under the impression that there was an attitude by the staff of "Oh well, that is the just the way it is". The attitude of anything is possible or I will make it happen was not was not prevalent.
Zoetry missed the mark and fell slightly short of my expectations. Was this an off week for them, were they short of staff...?  Bottom line: I don't care.  At the price paid, I am expecting consistent superior service. These things should not add up to the point where I am debating: Do I want to stay here again?  Would I recommend Zoetry to a friend?  I don't know?!

4  Thank deuce2
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I have stayed at many high-end hotels, and Zoetry is by far the best place I have ever stayed at. It is a small boutique hotel, very quaint and it is the first time I've truly been able to relax on a vacation. Check in was less than 5 minutes, there were so many "extras" that it truly made me feel like I was special and not nickled and dimed like so many other places. We left another resort about 10 miles away early for a variety of reasons. I found Zoetry on the internet one morning, left the old place, and took a short cab ride to Zoetry, which I am so delighted to have found. We had the "limitless privileges" which included a 20 minute free massage in the spa, use of the spa/hot tub, steam room and the gym, all inclusive food and drink, unlimited world-wide phone calls, champagne in ice bucket every day at the time you specify, no "hidden charge" room service (some all-inclusive places actually charge!), and an amazing menu from 3 restaurants of mostly organic great tasting food and drinks. (Try the red snapper) They made specialty juices (like cucumer or carrot) and of course all the alchohol drinks you may desire.
The bath products were luxurious- Bvlgari brand, amazing soaps, lotions, shampoos, also, rose petals on the beds and around the jetted tub, wonderful robes, the linens on the bed were Italian high thread count that were spritzed with lavender ... I've never slept in finer sheets and duvets. I slept so wonderfully, it was just amazing.
The pool and the beach area- they were nice, pretty quiet and low-key, sometimes some soft music playing, full lunch service where you can eat at tables in the shade or at your lounge chair next to the pools. One day a salsa couple came by, in full garb and accompanying music) and were giving free salsa lessons to anybody who wanted them (poolside)
My 12 year old son cannot eat gluten, so the cooks and waiters were all aware of this and accomodated us in every way to make our dining experiences wonderful. The head cook- Raul, even had meals cooked that were not on the menu (and my son is a picky eater) so that after each meal we were fully satisfied and so grateful for all their help. The waiters were really entertaining to my son- showed them some magic tricks and made sure his "shirely temple" drink was never empty! He felt like a king here!
For anybody wanting more lively pool action or night action, there is the sister club which is a short walk away- about 10-15 minutes or a $5 cab ride. The town of Cabo is about $20-30 cab ride.
When we left, we went to check out and there was absolutely nothing we had to pay extra for- they just smiled and asked if we enjoyed our stay and that was that! I will ABSOLUTELY be coming back here for some rest and relaxation. I love Zoetry!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 103 I believe, in the main building, it was very quiet, nice view of the ocean
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I traveled with my mother to Zoetry and would definitely return (in fact, we are considering returning in December to check out the whales!)...the food was BY FAR the best resort food we've ever had (they actually use strong seasonings- something you don't see at most resort restaurants!), the accommodations were clean, almost all of the staff was attentive, and though the hotel was nearly full, we NEVER felt like there was anyone else even staying there! I highly recommend this property to anyone looking for an incredibly relaxing all-inclusive vacation.
If I had to complain about anything, it'd have to be the service at the pools and the ridiculously expensive spa. At most all-inclusive resorts, when lounging by the pool, staff members continuously circulate, offering drinks (and even more so when we tip as generously as we do!). At Zoetry, more often than not, we had to go to the bar to get our own drinks. Not a huge problem, but not exactly 5-Star service. Then there's the spa- in my opinion, the prices were a little lofty. The hotel's $40 in resort cash only lowered the spa prices to normal levels. No deals to be had!
Still, I highly recommend the resort to any and everyone!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank XCrun12345
Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I really needed to get away - so we did a last minute search on travelocity and found this wonderful place. Those persons who suggest that the positive reviews are false couldn't be further from the truth. My husband and I have been lucky to have enjoyed the large corporate trips of the 90's, having stayed in some of the best hotels in the Nation, including the Four Seasons, Waldorf- Astoria, Ritz-Carlton, St Regis, The Greenbrair, Grand Wailea ..... So we do know the difference between AAA diamond hotels and those that are not even close. (Sometimes you wonder what level of experience the reviewers have had in order to determine the validity of the review).

All of the perks listed on the hotel's web were provided - cold drink upon arrival; tequila, sparkeling wine, and fruit in the room; in hotel coupons valued at $200.00 upon arrival..well to keep it short EVERYTHING.

I do, however, think that persons staying in the time shares are not treated as well as those staying in the hotel. Persons interested in trading time for a condo at this resort need to be aware that they are currently renovating a section of the condos - and the workers start early in the morning and finish at 6 p.m. For now, choose another place.

Things that others have not mentioned:
!. This area of Mexico is safe for tourists - however always check the State Department web page for updates;
2. This resort is rather far from Cabos - it is one of the last hotels along the beach, a taxi will cost about $25.00;
3. If you want to go to a colonial town travel to San Jose - taxi costs approximately $20.00 - the town is clean, people are polite, and the prices for Mexican goods are lower than at the hotel or Cabos;
4. Come to this resort only if you are seeking sun, food and quiet areas. If you prefer a more active resort go to Dreams. The vacationers here were either newly weds (some went to Dreams during the day) or in their mid-40s or older;
5. Try to get a room that is on the second or third floor - on the first floor you occasionally get a smell of sewage that comes up through the toilet;
6. The beach is beautiful but you CAN NOT swim in Cabos. Only a hand full of hotels located in small bays (Hyatt) have a break from the current and the waves. Fishermen were catching Tarpin within a few feet of the shoreline; and,
7. As a fellow vacationer said to us - bring your "big boy pants" (long) to eat dinner in the main restaurant - they will not let you in without them.

My only suggestion to the hotel is that fhey add a fast serve restaurant where you can grab a fast breakfast, coffee, lunch or a snack - we didn't always want to have to sit in the restaurant to be served.

Room Tip: We upgraded and it was worth the extra expense.