“Perfect place to do nothing (or something)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa

Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Perfect place to do nothing (or something)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

After a busy month at work, I wanted a quick trip to a beach location TO DO NOTHING. The driver from the airport (Victor) assured me that if I WANTED TO DO NOTHING, I'd made the right choice.

Zoetry is not a huge impersonal resort. It is more a boutique property; the meals are a la carte (no buffets), the staff remembers your name and its small enough to accommodate special requests. Going off season meant that there were very few guests and no rush for chairs at the pool or waiting for meals. The package I chose included a room with a wonderful infinity pool on the balcony and access their Beach Club. Maribel kept my room tidy every day and made sure that Room Service kept the refrigerator stocked with Diet Coke when she noticed that it was my favorite. Alberto and Francisco made sure I was comfortable and "well hydrated" at the pool. Everyone was friendly, smiling and really wanted to make sure I was happy.

In summary:

Room: Master Ocean View Suite - looked just like the pictures; immaculate. The bed was *really* soft which I enjoy but I could see that some would find it not firm enough. The shower had a rain bath fixture and interestingly enough, a window that could be open so I could see the ocean while I showered. As noted above, I loved the infinity jetted pool on the balcony and used it every morning and evening.

Food: a la carte, delicious with a good mix of local and continental favorites. It was not extensive and I'd recommend staying away from the beef dishes (not the best quality meat), but the portions were reasonable which allowed for me to have soup, entree and dessert and not feel like I'd overeaten. Room service was quickly delivered.

WIth my room package, a bottle of tequila and sparking wine was included. Frankly, as others have mentioned, given the amount that the room cost and the quality of everything else, the choice of a very downscale Jose Cuervo Gold and cheap sparking wine only make things look second-rate. Either upgrade to a true agave and champagne or don't include them.

I didn't drink much while there but do recommend either the "Winnie the Pooh" (strawberry and mango layered margarita) or the mango margaritas which were delicious.

Spa: prices rival those in the US; since I live in a spa destination town, I didn't feel it worth the cost for a service I could get at home from someone I know and trust

Gym: small, somewhat outdated but serviceable. They do have Yoga and other classes several times per week.

Service: my only complaint would be that as a single woman who often travels alone, sometimes I am offered the less desirable option in room or tables unless I speak up. The hostess at the restaurant seated me inside instead of along the lovely outdoor river; I assumed there were no tables outside but that was not the case. I spoke to Alberto who'd taken care of me, along with Francisco, at the Beach Club, and was assured that it would not happen again. And it didn't.

Otherwise everyone was very attentive, left me alone when I wanted and as soon as they saw I needed something, were there then. Bright friendly smiling faces who seemed to love their jobs.

Grounds: just lovely with bright bougainvillea and local plants. Gardeners kept the place clean and tidy, keeping the sidewalks swept free of lizard poop (I saw a couple kitten sized ones from my balcony but most were "standard" size), and everything trimmed. The entry has a very colonial feel.

Beach: finally a Mexican beach without trash washed ashore. But it is not a swimming beach; there is too strong of a undercurrent. It is walkable for several miles in both directions. The Beach Club has chairs that face the ocean, or the pool. There are a few locals selling sarongs, jewelry etc but the staff did a good job of keeping most of them away. No going out at 7 am to lay a towel down to save a chair for the day.

Weather: I had no complaints. Coming from > 100 degree summer weather, the cool(er) ocean breeze was appreciated by me. But August is definitely warmer with more humidity which is why the hotel was less busy and I could see that it would be uncomfortable for some.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are smaller without pools on balcony; Ocean View Suites have a full view (entire b...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Winged_Scapula

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Spring, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Zoetry Casa del Mar the first week of August for our anniversary. It was our first visit and we were completely enchanted. The staff was warm, inviting, and accomodating. We enjoyed the quiet atmosphere, beautiful scenery, delicious food, and the accessibility of both Cabos San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo from the resort. Francisco, Hugo, Jesus, and so many more made our stay a wonderful experience. The attention to details like rose petals on the bed, a floral arrangement for our anniversary, a little plate of sweets delivered every night, the fresh juice menu for breakfast, the calorie/fat/carb counts on the menus, the daily activity sheet and so much more set Zoetry apart from other all inclusive resorts. It really is an experience in "endelss privileges." We can't wait to go back and share the experience with our children next year!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
2 Thank Danyale S
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We recently had our wedding at the Zoetry Casa del Mar. We had visited about a year ago, and then stayed a few nights for our site visit in November. The staff at the reception desk are fabulous, they did everything they could to accommodate our 57 guests to ensure they had the best room possible. They also got us back and forth from our building or to the bus stop always fun and personable. The food and drinks were wonderful. The pool is very nice, the chairs at the pool could be replaced but nevertheless you were always been taken care of by the great service.
The hotel has 3 buildings - the main building where 2 of the restaurants are located, another one that is considered Ocean Front and then a newer building further away. We always stayed in that building because it was newer and many of the rooms have a large spa on the balcony. It also has an elevator -and they will pick you up from your building in the golf cart if needed.
The grounds are kept very well. The spa is a little dated and doesn't have the best A/C.
Our wedding was wonderful - we were married on the beach, and a cocktail reception by the pool and then dinner and dancing under the palapa. One of my biggest concerns was the food,during our initial food tasting we were not crazy about several of the options. However, Chef Francis willingly worked with us to come up with a fantastic menu. Our guest raved about how great the food was - high end places in the states would compare. From the caesar salad wrapped in a parmesan ring, watermelon gazapacho with fresh oysters on the half shell, to red snapper with au gratin potatoes and green beans or angus filet with grilled shrimp and baked potato then dessert and then the amazing wedding cake. We also surprised our guest with fireworks on the beach - my husband said it was the best money he spent. All in all it was a wonderful time for everyone. Many of our guest had never been outside the US, let alone Mexico or Cabo and they all said it far exceeded their expectations.
The resort is rather small - 55 (or so) rooms so perfect for a wedding - your guests don't get lost and you see them regularly due to the size of the resort. Another great feature is that the Dreams is a short walk down the beach and the Secrets Resort is just a short cab ride away. So to change up the scenery or if you bring children you have access to these resorts to use both the pool and restaurants. We had dinner one night at the Secrets and it was very good.
There are only 2 restaurants for dinner at the Zoetry. One is on the beach - it is wonderful.. dinning around a fire pit and under the stars is really nice.
Pretty much everything for the wedding came together as requested - even having Modelo available versus the standard Corona that the hotel typically serves. There were a few "bumps" but I was probably the only one that knew.
The one thing we were disappointed in was the fact that the hotel manager did not come out and meet us. Our wedding party reserved over half the rooms in the resort and thought it would have been nice had the manager wanted to say hello and welcome us.
I would recommend this resort for anyone that dislikes buffets (there are none here), is not expecting a big nightlife - they do no have any movies nights or entertainment. However, the paella cooking class that Chef Francis did one afternoon by the beach was great!. The rooms are very nice, the A/C is excellent. It is a quiet laid back place to relax. I would also recommend having your wedding at this resort - they only allow one wedding per week versus some resorts that will have 3-4 per day.

Room Tip: We prefer the Aquadora (sp?) building - they also have several rooms that have more than 1 bedroom i...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
      Rooms
1 Thank Mssnash
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

This review is going to be in two parts: one my review of the resort and two the review of the food as a vegan. Plus, I've added a few recommendations at the end.
Part one: This resort was perfect for a babymoon, as it was quiet, and there weren't many guests. We got to know pretty much all of the staff, and we also got to know the other vacationers as well. Upon arrival, we got an early check-in (around noon), so we went straight to our room and unpacked. We then headed over to the Dreams resort next door to see what entertainment was lined up for the week (I agree with other reviewers that the sand isn't soft, but most of the time, the beach was nearly deserted and the vendors seemed only to hang around at the resorts). We saw a whole bunch of people waiting around with their luggage for their rooms (this was around 3PM), and we were definitely happy to be at Zoetry. Even though we did not use the exercise equipment, I would agree that some could use a little tune up. Also, we never did go for our free massages because there was no couples room available for our massage (only solo massages available). Another guest suggested that we go for the upgrade of a beachside couples massage, but the spa prices were shockingly high (but similar to what we've seen at other 5 star resorts). We used the free laundry service which was superb, but I would recommend not using it for underwear or bathing suits, as their detergents irritated my skin (and I'm not allergic to anything). We didn't have a beachside room, but we could still hear the waves crashing at night. The grounds were immaculate and the bathrooms everywhere were clean and decorated with fresh flowers. We also used the free Wifi, and I was able to FaceTime back home without an issue. I did the aqua aerobics nearly daily with Pablo. It was definitely non-strenuous, and the pool was a good temperature.
Part Two: Upon checking in, I mentioned that I was vegan, and I had to explain the difference between vegetarian and vegan. I was assured that there would be meal options for me, but it didn't work that way at the beginning. On day 1, I had a lovely soup; however, I'm sure that they used a seafood broth (after I had explained no animal products). On day 2, I sent back pasta that obviously had ground beef in it. That's when Kennedy (he was our favourite server) alerted one of the managers who came out personally to speak with me. After that, I had a custom 'surprise' vegan supper every night. The suppers were definitely 'healthy' vegan, but we pretty much ate on the beach every single night which was fabulous and didn't require a reservation and there was more than one occasion where we sat by ourselves. Ask the servers for a blanket if you get chilly! I liked their quinoa creation and also their bean soup. They had sorbet for dessert, but I didn't try any because I didn't have the room, and I don't like sorbet. We had breakfast room service most days, and they had no trouble accommodating me with peanut butter and soy milk. By the end of 10 days, I was definitely craving vegan cupcakes, dark chocolate, coconut ice cream and vegan pizza. On one night, we went to Secrets and we headed to the 'Italian' restaurant. Zoetry assured us that Secrets would be made aware that I was vegan, and when we arrived at Secrets, the first thing that the front desk said was that they knew that I was vegan. I was immediately impressed; however, when we went to the 'Italian' restaurant, our waiter Ernesto was definitely annoyed by my request and said that all of their pasta was made on site with eggs. I suggested maybe a stir fry of rice and vegetables. What I got was plain steamed rice and plain undercooked steamed vegetables. It was so disappointing. We then went over to the sushi restaurant, and there was more selection for me there, and it tasted great. The secrets resort definitely had some stunning views, and it was a far more happening place; however, we were glad to be returning to quiet Zoetry for more relaxation.
Suggestions: (1) If you decide to go for supper at Secrets, take the collectivo (public transit) over to Secrets early and ask for a tour of the penthouse suite. It was fantastic. (2) Don't go horseback riding! They only clean up the large chunks of horse poop, and the beaches would be better without horse poop. (3) On Thursdays, there is an art walk in San Jose and everyone that went enjoyed the evening. (4) There are tiny sea creatures on the large rocks just down the beach. (5) The menu prices for non-inclusive guests will shock you, but the condo owners get a 20% discount. (6) Do not go to this resort at peak times, especially Christmas because then all of the condo owners will flood the resort.

Room Tip: We told them that we didn't want to walk far, and we got a room in the main building which suite...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
      Location
4 Thank Carrie S
Mendocino, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I have now stayed at this hotel twice, and we really enjoyed both of our stays. The great things about this Zoetry are the beautiful surroundings (which includes an absolutely stunning beach venue for dinner) and the little touches like rose petals left in your room at turndown every night. The food and drinks as well as service are also good overall--and in some cases great. The downsides to this hotel is that you are sharing the property with condo owners (though the the beachside pool seems generally reserved for hotel guests and the property still doesn't ever seem crowded), the beach is not swimmable (though it is nice to look at and listen to), and, on this visit, the pool temperatures were a bit too warm to be refreshing. Also, you might have to say no to or put up with a fractional ownership presentation (but, if you are actually interested in purchasing, this may not be a negative to you).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G0rd0e
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We just finished our second trip to Zoetry Casa Del Mar and this experience was a little different than the first 4 years ago. The first time we went, everything was amazing. The room was huge, the service top rate and we had no complaints. This time we brought our daughter. We emailed the hotel ahead of time that we wanted to have a special occasion, bringing her and celebrating our wedding anniversary. I'm sure that they thought they were doing the right thing by giving us an ocean view room, but the room was literally half the size of the one that we had 4 years ago in the main building. On top of that, there was construction going on next door (inside the resort, but at the separately run villas) that woke us up each morning. We barely slept for 3 days. When we mentioned this to hotel, they seemed unaware of the drilling and banging which seemed odd. Once we complained, they understood and offered to move us and to tell construction to not start so early. But once again at 9 (over by 10:30) the noise started again and we were ready to move on. The staff was very nice and supportive and felt bad, but this could have been avoided. They admitted that this time of year is when there is construction. Everyone is super nice there, so I don't want to give them too bad a review. It's meant to be a quiet hotel with all the privileges. They had all the privileges except for the quiet we expected. They also had the pool temperature up to about 90 which was horrible given that it was 95 out. What we would have given for a cool pool to escape the heat. The food is good. Not great. But you get anything you want, when you want it. Not sure we would go back, but at the right time of year and in the right room this is a really good resort for about 5 days.

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the ground floor. There is no insulation and you can hear anything anyone s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JsammyLA
Encino, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and 12 & 14 year old children spent a week of paradise at Zoetry. From the moment we walked on the property, to the day we left, the service was top notch. The property is beautifully maintained, but the staff and service are what make this place so special. The staff goes out of their way to make sure you are taken care of at all times. Jorge took such good care of us at the pool, made special drinks for our kids, and always made sure we were happy. The margaritas are top notch and made with fresh squeezed lime juice. The food was all made to order (no buffets), and each dish was beautifully prepared and so delicious. Hats off to the chefs. We ate dinner on the beach several nights and could order room service 24/7. Housekeeping was just as thoughtful and left rose petals on the beds and around the sinks every night for turndown service. It showed they truly cared about their guests. Even though it was a quiet resort, our kids LOVED it and want to know when we will return. A fantastic week for our family to reconnect!! Thanks to everyone at Zoetry, especially Jorge, Kennedy, Ignacio, Hugo, and the Chefs!

Room Tip: Can't imagine a bad room at this resort.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hyatt Ziva Los Cabos
#7 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,305 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach Golf & Spa Resort

Been to Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!