“Disappointed”

Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My observations, based on a recent five day/four night stay at Zoetry:
THE GOOD....
* The property was beautiful, and well maintained.
* The employees checking us in were very nice, and well informed.
* The room that we had was pleasant, although it was a double double.
* The rooms were well kept, the cleaning staff very efficient.
* The golf course (Cabo Real) is five min away, and the resort pays for the cab.
* Challenging course (first nine) and quite picturesque
* A round for two, with clubs, cart, and four sleeves of balls will run you $550 USD

THE BAD....
* Service - I'd heard that, since the resort went all-inclusive, that some of the employees
were disgruntled. This was quite evident, especially in the pool area. Rarely did an
employee come to where we were lounging, and ask if we would like something. If we
wanted a drink, then one of us would have to go to the pool bar, where the employees
were gathered, and ask for one. There were exceptions, but not many.
* Food - Average at best. We had to leave the property, in order to find, what we felt,
were decent meals. We did not go to the sister resort, Dreams, because we spoke with
a few people at the pool, and they all concurred; Dreams food was worse than
Zoetry's. And if you're eating by the pool, expect a lengthy wait for your food.
* Spa - Pretty poor excuse for a spa. No A/C, so the doors had to be left open. My wife
had a massage, then a pedicure/manicure. The same girl did everything. Once she
finished the massage, my wife sat in an uncomfortable chair, while this girl complained
about no A/C, and took almost two hours to do just the manicure/pedicure. The prices
were the typical resort prices, and not at all worth it.

THE UGLY....
* Apparently, Dreams had overbooked their resort, and sent some of the people over to
Zoetry, to stay in some of the condos. So, now there's a group of guys in wife beaters
(sleeveless T-shirts), with their significant others, hanging out at the pool, getting
drunk, and carrying on like a bunch of children. This continued into the late evening, at
the open air bar, each night. We could easily hear them from our room. We hadn't
signed up for that atmosphere, otherwise we'd have made reservations at Dreams.
* There are several pools on property. If you choose the one nearest the beach area, be
prepared to here the nonstop pounding of the amps, set up on the beach at Dreams
next door. If you want non stop partying, go to Dreams.
Also, the venders, who are not supervised or monitored, kept coming up to us, trying
to sell their dollar jewelry, etc. I can understand them trying to make a living, so we just
went back to the main area of the property, and stayed near the pools there.

That's a brief summary of our trip to Zoetry. We were quite disappointed in the experience, and will definitely NOT go back.

8  Thank L8173
There are newer reviews for Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa

Reviewed 17 May 2010

My Husband and I initially began our search for a hotel for our destination wedding last June. I researched hotels in all price ranges and all locations throughout Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. Once we walked through the entry at Casa del Mar and were handed a cold iced tea and cool washcloth we knew we found the right hotel. Casa del Mar is an intimate setting with an extraordinary landscape of pink and purple flowers, manicured palm trees, fabulous pools and caters to all price ranges and vacation styles - all inclusive hotel to non-inclusive condos. We began the planning process in September over email and phone and to my amazement, it worked. Although I'm a "Type A" control freak, my worries were put to rest once I began working with the wedding and event coordinator, Mariana. She is very professional, calm, patient, knows the hotel (and Dreams) and vendors well and is a great project manager. We had a relatively large destination wedding with 64 people. Everyone was incredibly happy with the hotel staff (so welcoming and helpful - everyone knows your name), accommodations (lovely), food (yummy), event (breathtaking). We couldn't have been happier!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Casa Del Mar was amazing. I did my research on the travel channel. It was voted one of the top beach resorts two years ago. I was blown away when I got to the resort. I looked like a screensaver. It was just as they describe it on TV. The rooms, the pool, beach all wonderful! My wife and I want to go back now....Lotto please!! Not to mention we NEED TO GO BACK TO SQUID ROW AND DANCE ON TABLES!! lol!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Zoetry Casa Del Mar was all that we expected AND more! We aren't ones who opt for all-inclusives, but this one was first class all the way! No buffets here, but rather 2 restaurants (3 if you count the lunch options at the main pool) that have an array of dishes to select from and they will even prepare you items that are not featured on the menu. As long as they have the ingredients, they will make whatever you heart desires! We were here 5 nights and never tired of the food options. There's enough variety to not get bored for a week. While the food was not gourmet per se, it was quite good.

The property is gorgeous and the rooms are more than comfortable. I'm a stickler for nice linens, toiletries and furnishings and Casa Del Mar did not disappoint! Nice flat screen tv with enough english channels, free wifi, Bulgari toiletries, a fabulous jacuzzi tub that is deep enough for a good soak, pillowtop bed, desk and a chaise lounge. I love the extra touches such as a vanity adjacent to the bathroom with a cushioned bench and a makeup mirror and the slippers and robes they provided. Closet/drawer space was fine. We were in room 1102 which was an oceanfront jr suite. We were on the ground floor, so we had a lovely patio where you could walk out down to the beach from. The resort was not busy at all which we loved. The hotel part of the resort only has 32 rooms, but there are several buildings on property which house condos. The majority of those condos did not appear to be occupied. I think tenants of the condos have access to the main pool, but not to the oceanfront pool which is both adults and hotel guests only-nice!

While we went into town one night, there really was no need to ever leave the resort! We had everything we could ever want and it was so much easier to not have to worry about where to eat, get a taxi into town, etc. We could not help but to relax from the moment we arrived!

Service throughout the resort was great. Everyone took care of us and we made sure to tip everyone that assisted us daily even though it is not required. The staff truly are there to make your stay as pleasurable as possible. We brought some dvds in case the room had a dvd player, but it did not. In passing, we asked the concierge if they by chance had one and within minutes, an engineer brought one over and hooked it up!

The spa was great and the quality of the massages were right up there with some of the best I've had. I had 2 massages, one of which was beach side under a palapa-sheer bliss! I purposely booked it at 7pm, when the sun was going down and the weather was cooling down. The combination of the sounds of the waves and the breeze blowing made for an even more relaxing experience! Ask for Rafaela if you like deep tissue! The spa manager, Oscar is so pleasant too! I had corresponded with him prior to our trip via email and he was very helpful. I used the steam room and sauna daily. The sauna was not that hot but I just got in the habit of stopping by and turning the temperature up about 30 mins before I wanted to use it. My boyfriend often called the spa from the pool and they took care of this for him!

The luxury of Zoetry's no check in/check out policy was priceless-how nice was it to have a 7pm flight last night and be able to enjoy the resort a full day before checking out?! It was like having an extra day of vacation! I wish all resorts did this!

We walked to Dreams to check out the property and while it was well kept and just fine, it didn't compare to Zoetry. I could only see going to Dreams if you want some nightlife or more activities.

All in all, we were in heaven and were just in awe of what a wonderful vacation this was!
We didn't want to leave this slice of paradise, but look forward to a return visit!

2  Thank spaeatsleep
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We arrived , taken to our room over looking the pool with the most beautful view of the Sea of Cortez. Awaiting us was a chilled bottle of champange, and fresh fruit.
throom was beautiful, with spa tub, vanity, beautiful linens and a wonderful balconey to enjoy the champange and the view.
The staff were very attentive, I don't think we used a towel more than one time, befor it was changed.
The food was excellent, with many choices. We ate dinner out on the beach in a circle of lanterns and a firepit in the middle.
Absolutly Heaven on Earth!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karinrohn
Reviewed 9 May 2010

.......immaculates grounds, comfortable, clean rooms with ocean views, an accomodating staff offering endless privelages.
The wait staff were both charming and fun. The food, although not quite top rate,was good and the restaurant ambiance can't be beat.
We spent a wonderfully relaxing week here and would highly recommend it.
It is a very special place and vintage Cabo

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2010

My husband and I just got back from Cabo a few days ago. Let me tell you that this is one unique and special place. We stayed 3 nights.
The last time we were in Cabo, we stayed near the Marina and hated it. We are not party people and hated all the time-share hounds found in Cabo San Lucas. Yuk! This time, we wanted to be closer to San Jose Del Cabo and tried the Corridor. Ahhh... a totally different experience.
Casa Del Mar is exclusive and worth every penny. Quiet, peaceful, luxurious. No check in desk, rather greeted with ice teas and seated at a desk for quick check-in. While we were upgraded to a ocean-front suite, any room would have been wonderful. The hotel is not large giving you a very personal feel. Other guests become friends quickly with a chin nod at dinner or a smile across the pool.
The staff was warm, greeted us personally and were convincing that that they wanted to do whatever it was we wanted to make our stay perfect. My husband chuckled that it felt like Fantasy Island, it was so perfect. Amazing.
The grounds were gorgeous. 4 pools to choose from, vibrant bougainvillea and geometric natural landscaping, candlelight, mexican tile, and palapas. Relaxing classical guitar, new age and global music gently played around the pools, and lots of places to find shade for reading.
The food was phenomenal. 2 different menus but lots of options. All organic and delicious. They take pride in the presentation, too. No disappointments. Room service for breakfast. We had the ahi tuna salad, 2 different kinds of ceviche, fajitas, and salmon. We favored the romantic palapa on the beach and by the fire pit near the shore. How can you not feel romantic?
Take advantage of the free 20 minute massage. While short, very effective. We also took advantage of the benefits from Dreams resort next door. I used their tennis clinic (borrow a racquet from Casa Del Mar) and their night time activities like Casino Night and their outdoor movies (so much fun!). Dreams' restaurants can't hold a candle to your food at Casa Del Mar, so don't even try. We walked and took the free taxi. You are royalty when you are a guest at Casa Del Mar. Dream's guests cannot use Casa Del Mar's facilities or restaurants.
My only complaints? I love to drift on a pool raft and Casa Del Mar didn't have any...Dreams did...so I had to raft in their pool. When it got too noisy, I came back to Casa Del Mar. Also...jacuzzis near the pools were never truly hot. Had to go to the Spa for hot tub.
Activities: Surf at Cabo Surf Hotel (you have to rent boards there), go to Chilano Bay to snorkel (10 min away by cab) and the Organic Market in San Jose Del Cabo on Saturday mornings. Nothing is cheap in Cabo so forget about bargain souvenirs. Taxi fares get pricy, too, if you should decide to leave this paradise resort. :-)

2  Thank SantaCruzan
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!