“Beautiful location...food could be better”

Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful location...food could be better”
Reviewed 29 December 2010

The beach & setting is stunning. No issues with the surrounding condos. Very quiet & peaceful.

Pools & grounds were immaculate. When we arrived, the pools were quite cold, but they began heating them.

Service was quite good, but the language barrier is sometimes an issue.

The hotel is older, but the room wasn't shabby or dirty. The bed is extremely comfortable, and the view from the balcony was gorgeous! I can understand why the frosted bathroom door might be an issue for some sharing a room. Only one issue with our toilet leaking water, but it was quickly resolved by the maintenance staff. The Wi-Fi was sketchy...very off & on, though the IT manager did try her best to help. The free international dialing attempts were mostly successful, but sometimes we had to try a few times to place the call. Biggest issue with the room was the mini bar, which was a total joke.

The food was just not as good as it should have been for a hotel like this. Some of it was pretty good, but mostly just OK, and sometimes downright bad. The wine upgrades were also not up to snuff. However, dinner on the beach every night around a bon-fire was the highlight of the stay for me, made even better by our delightful waiter, Juan Diego (J.D.)

The hotel did present us with a survey at check out, which I liked. But having stayed many times before in Cabo (at Villas del Mar), this was definitely only a four-star experience.

1 Thank Fermina22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 25 December 2010

The service was excellent and I loved our room with the jacuzzi and balcony overlooking the pools.

Staff was VERY attentive, from the restaurants to our room service.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Libertyville, Illinois
Reviewed 9 December 2010

My wife and I are regular travelers, and tend to stay at high-end destination resorts. Zoetry Casa del Mar exceeded our expectations during our recent stay! The trip was to celebrate my 50th birthday, and it could not have been better. The relatively small property had plenty of amenities, and the ability to walk over to Dreams (about a 6 minute walk along the beach) added 5 more excellent restaurant choices, all part of the Endless Privileges! The suites are large and clean, and the service was excellent.

I really enjoyed and got a lot out of meeting Charles Wills, founder of The Wills System. We met with Charles as part of a free wellness consultation, and I was so impressed with his approach, I stayed for a full (paid) consultation- which was as good as any full spa treatment I’ve had. While we discussed any number of issues related to wellness, we began to focus on the effects of stress, and how I might better deal with it. It was easy to practice what I learned at this wonderful resort, but I’ve also continued to practice now that I am back home, and it really works! It was nice that Charles followed up with me after I left Mexico to make sure I was still on track. I recommend spending a bit of time with Charles Wills during your stay!

Another interesting “plus” for this all-inclusive wellness and spa resort was having health information printed right on the menus! Each item is displayed with calories, carbs, and protein content. This made making smarter choices easy.

The entire staff was wonderful, and couldn’t do enough to help, assist, or bring us whatever we wanted or needed. I do want to mention several staff members specifically: Our thanks of course to Charles Wills, but also to (and I hope I get the spelling correct) Andriana and Gerrardo of the concierge desk, Heriberto at the main entrance, Hector at the lobby restaurant, and Kennedy at the pool bar! All are a great reflection of the General Manager, Ankara Anbgulo, who is seldom seen, but her presence is clearly felt.

We will be back! We are recommending this property to our friends and family. Thank you for a wonderful vacation and birthday celbration!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cork194
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 4 December 2010

I was recently diagnosed with M.S., my husband and I picked the Zoetry for our honeymoon spot! I was able to meet for a few sessions with Charles Wills. He is such an uplifting and woderful man! His tools have helped me get to a place in a short time were I can sleep again and feel more relaxed!! I still have so much work to but he is traveling this journey with through email and phone and I am very thankful to have met and worked with him.

1 Thank lassdrake
Vineland, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The property was beautiful, clean and quiet. The staff were very friendly and more than willing to please. Dinner on the beach was wonderful - very romantic. Overall the food was good. I get bored easily and would like to have seen the menu change daily or at least have a few different specials nightly. We weren't able to swim on the beach there because of the rip tides. Disappointing. We were able to swim at the Hilton - a 15 minute walk. Current was still very strong which was a little scary. Endless privileges at Dreams next door was a nice option. Property was also beautiful but much larger and h noisier. We both agreed Casa Del Mar was the best choice for us. The purpose of our trip was to relax. Would visit again in a heartbeat.

1 Thank Diane M
San Diego
Reviewed 16 November 2010

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was extremely quiet, the landscaping and pools were immaculate and the ocean was beautiful.

The good: The room was very nice (we had one of the ocean view suites) and was well maintained by the staff during our visit. There was a smudge on the nice shade that separates the bathroom from the bedroom and the staff quickly cleaned the shade, then completely replaced it the next day. The staff was friendly and generally very helpful. The property was immaculate the the beach was amazing.

The not so good: There are only two restaurants and although the food was good it was not excellent and there was little variety on the menu. The service at the restaurants was not consistently good, was sometimes slow and the staff did not always appear to be that knowledgeable about the menu. Only a very small number of 'average' wines were included on the inclusive part of the menu. This was a huge disappointment compared to other higher end inclusive hotels that we have visited. There was a set of coupons totaling $200 that were provided as a incentive. We never used any of these do to their restrictive nature. Due to the severity of the waves the ocean their always has a red flag warning that prevents swimming. Please note that there is a beautiful cove about 1/4 mile to the east that can be used for ocean swimming.

Even thought we liked the hotel I would not recommend it based on the value per dollar spent.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank doug_eveland
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 November 2010

I picked this place for my honeymoon after seeing some pretty good reviews here on tripadvisor and having my travel agent claim it was a much nicer all inclusive than secrets capri in cancun which I stayed at earlier in the year. Here a few points.

Negative points
1. Websites say it is adults only, it definitely is not adults only. In fact right to next our room we had a family staying with 2 kids that were really pretty wild. One of the 3 pools is labeled at adults only but there were kids around
2. The rooms are just OK, our room and ocean front view was a little smaller than what I would have expected and needed some improvement. These are small things but. The bathroom needed new growt, our screen door was broken and did not close, bathroom showerhead was old and in bad shape, toilet did not work great, there is no door on bathroom so there is very little privacy, and the robes provided for us had been stained. These are small items I know but not expected from a hotel that attempts to be a luxury hotel.
3. Service was just OK. The guys that worked the pool area were awesome but room service several times made mistakes with our order and I had to call several times to get a hair dryer.
4. This place is super duper quiet. This could be a good or bad thing. My wife and I wanted to see some other people so we often went over to dreams the sister resort for a much livelier crowd.
5. The spa was just OK, not really that nice inside although the ladies did give a good massage. I just expected the actually brick and mortar of the spa to look nice when the resort sold it so hard on their website. It was not as nice 3 other random spa’s I have been to in Chicago.
6. The internet went up and down and was hard to connect to.
7. Fitness center is just OK but you do not really need to use it when you have the beach in front of you.

Positive Points
1. The grounds are really pretty, you can tell them take a lot of time to keep up and maintain this was the best part of the hotel in my opinion. I wish they spent more time on the rooms though
2. The food is solid not great but as good as I have had at an all-inclusive resort and better than at the Dreams hotel next door. They do have some healthier options which is nice. We liked the food but because there is basically only 1 restaurant (they is technically 2 but the menus are super similar) you will need to get away for a few nights
3. The pool staff was nice and very accomadating
4. This has nothing to do with the hotel but we went Nov 8-14 and the weather could not have been better
5. The beds are awesome. Huge and high quality. This is what I would epext from a 5 star hotel

Overall this place is pretty good but to me it was not much nicer than other all-inclusive resorts and may not be worth the extra cash.

2 Thank mjweigandt
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
The Cape, a Thompson Hotel
#7 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive ...
#6 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Casa del Mar Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!