Message from TripAdvisor:

“Avoid Renting Unit AB-503”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Jose del Cabo
La Jolla de Los Cabos
Reno, Nevada
“Avoid Renting Unit AB-503”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I was expecting to stay at the La Jolla Condos, a beautiful salmon colored condo complex with two pools and lovely grounds from Jan.1- March 31, 2014. Instead I found myself in the La Jolla Condominium Complex that is associated with the Bel Air resorts. This condo, AB-503, was advertised by Laura Lopez from Cabo Prestige Realty on Craigslist. It was not disclosed to me that the AB buildings are associated with the Bel Air Resort Collection Hotel/Timeshare. Some of the condos are privately owned while some are owned by the Bel Air. The salmon colored La Jolla condos C-H are privately owned.

When I arrived on 01/01/14, the elevator in the odd numbered AB bldg was broken. So, I had the driver of the transportation company carry three 45 pound bags up five flights of stairs. The refrigerator wasn't working. It also smelled of dead fish even after adding a second box of baking soda in it. At least half a dozen light bulbs were either missing or broken in various light fixtures throughout the condo. I also couldn't find a coffee pot, blender or toaster. Eventually, I found a coffee pot in a box in a cupboard in the hallway. I was notified that there was a blender in the hall closet. I never did find it. Fortunately, I never pre-heated the oven because the owner stores the filthy toaster oven inside it. The kitchen faucet is missing a screen so I got a bath every time I did the dishes. Water sprayed everywhere. I couldn't find the remote controls to the two room air conditioners so I found a tall man who could reach them to manually turn them off. They are mounted just below the ceiling in the bedroom and living area.

Internet service was sporadic on my iPhone. I had to use the router from the Bel Air hotel. I made several complaints to the IT Manager at the hotel. He suggested I use my iPad in the lobby. It still wouldn't work.

The unit overlooks the condo pool. It can get noisy when children are visiting. This unit is right on the main highway between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose del Cabo. The road noise is constant from about 5 am to midnight. The bedroom faces the highway so I never opened the window at night when I slept. The highway noise bounces off the building in front of the condo so it's hard to escape the sound of traffic.

The best thing about the condo was the comfortable king size bed. It also has a peak view of the water from the balcony. The grounds are very clean. The pool by the condominiums is warm. The beach is a very close walk.

The realtor tried to help me with my issues but that was out of her job description. I didn't have anyone to help me with my concerns. I was specifically told by the condo owner not to contact her directly. I was told that the condo owner's friend who lives in the C-H section of the La Jolla would help me. Unfortunately, he had a health issue and wasn't able to help me at least a week into my stay, understandably so. Even then, he was limited in helping me. It was frustrating not having my issues addressed promptly or if at all. If you decide to rent this unit, make sure you have a contact person who can help you with issues.

After the elevator was repaired on 01/03/14, I used it three times. Two of the times, the elevator would shake as it stopped at a floor and the door wouldn't open promptly. On 01/12/14, I needed to do laundry in the AB even number building next door so I decided to take the elevator a third time. I came back from a walk on the beach and saw a woman exit the elevator on the first floor so I decided to take it to my condo on the fifth floor. As the elevator arrived to the fifth floor, it shook and suddenly the elevator dropped back down to the first floor! I was tossed from side to side as the elevator rapidly declined. I made a complaint to the BelAir front desk about the accident. Twenty four hours later I demanded to speak to the manager of the hotel about my accident. He told me that he didn't know a person was involved when the elevator dropped. I requested a massage and was offered a 30 min. back, neck and arm massage. I contacted the realtor and had her forward an email to the owner telling her about my accident. As of this writing, over two months after the elevator accident, I have not received a letter of concern from the condo owner. I continued to walk up and down five flights of stairs until 01/21/14. At that point, my knees could barely bend. I contacted the realtor notifying her that I had to leave because the elevator was never repaired and I couldn't continue to use the stairs so I had her forward my notice of departure to the owner. I could not stay in a building where the elevator didn't work. The owner sent an email to me through the realtor requesting that I pay my electric bill. I wrote back telling her to please take the money due out of the $500.00 deposit. Because of the elevator dropping five floors, I missed out on a three month Winter getaway and came home with a sprained back and two severely sprained knees that require me to wear braces for six months! I also lost my remaining deposit minus the cleaning and electric bill and 10 days of rent paid upfront.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
13 Thank kre8tivk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saskatoon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

We are at La Jolla in San Jose del Cabo as I write this and are caught in what seems to be the general confusion of where you are actually renting when you book a condo at La Jolla. Let me try to clarify so you know exactly where you will be when you get here.

A few years ago La Jolla split and building A B became associated with the Bel Air resorts and Spa which is kind of wedged between building A B and the other buildings of the original La Jolla- namely buildings C to H. If you are in building AB you are not in the La Jolla that is pictured on the Internet when you search out La Jolla de Los Cabos The picture shows lovely grounds with two bridges and pinkish buildings. That is La Jolla Condos.

If you are in building AB you are associated with Bel Air Resorts and Spa. There are a number of people at the Bel Air building AB who thought they would be in the La Jolla condo side and who really wanted to be there specifically because of the pics of the grounds and condos they saw and are very disappointed by the actual placement. The Bel Air is nice but the bedrooms are at the back of the building right beside the highway which is very noisy from 5 am to midnight! The big, beautiful pool pictured on the Bel Air site with the swim up bar is not heated and is very cold right now so no one goes in it. There is a heated pool right in front of AB that is nice. We are told that some people from AB were told they could not use Bel Airs beach chairs. But we do and no one has said anything. We can use all other Bel Air facilities. The beach in front is beautiful, deep and long and the Bel Airs restaurant prices seem good but we have not tried them yet. If you are in La Jolla building AB then check out the pics on the Bel Air Resort and Spa site so you know where you will be.

The owners of The condos at the La Jolla AB need to be clear that you will not have access to La a Jolla C-H pool and the grounds. Even more confusing is the fact that the neighbourhood ' La Jolla' across the highway and up the hill also rents condos under the same name. I would strongly suggest that you confirm which building your condo is in, if it is in building AB then you are NOT in La Jolla Condos with the beautiful pool and grounds. Feel free to contact me with questions.

Room Tip: Read the review and double check which building you are in. All buildings are right at the beach bu...
Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Trish19
Ellensburg, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

Stayed in unit G102 for a week. The awesome patio is a few steps from the beach: a great whale watching spot. The wave sights and sounds from this unit are spectacular. The condo itself is very nice and clean. The pools and grounds are very well cared for. There are two resident iguanas that often hang out by the pool. They love fruit and chips, so don't disappoint them! Long beach walks are great here. In fact, the hotel zone is a nice walk down the beach. Quick cab ride to downtown San Jose, which you can catch in front of the Bel Aire Hotel next door. A great place to stay. I will be back.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SherriRoslyn_WA
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

Just as always........ a great town, great accommodation, wonderful beach. The highlight this time was walking to the container, along the deserted beach, watching the flying mantas jump through the waves.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pantix
San Jose
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed at the La Jolla condo complex in G206. Not only was the condo absolutely perfecto, but the whole complex is very well maintained. It's beautiful there. I couldn't believe how gorgeous the landscaping is with fountains, plants, cute bridges, and artistic sculptures. The security staff is diligent and friendly. Most likely you will enjoy any unit within La Jolla, but if you are lucky enough to stay in G206, you are in for a treat! When you open the door to this condo, you are completely dumbstruck by the view of the beach and ocean. The first thing out of our mouths is "WHOA!!!" The place had everything we needed and is beautifully decorated. The owners are very helpful too. We plan to return!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank TeacherSanJose
Sidney, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

We rented this Condo from Lori Guichon (it is currently for sale) in this beautiful complex right on the beach, there are two pools one warm the other cool, both very nice. The warm pool is closed to children from 7-9 am to allow the older folks some time to exercise without the kids. The condo was very well equipped and when we asked for something Lori (who lives in the complex half the year and in Vancouver Canada the other half) would be able to pro due it within the day. The beach out front is great, clean and huge, we were told it was crowded while we were there and with its 2 mile length there might have been 100 people on it at any time. There is lots of areas around the pol to allow shade but not much on the beach, this condo was however equipped with sun shades and beach toys for the kids. The grounds of this complex are groomed daily and they are exceptionally clean and well cared for, there is security with an obvious presence and we felt very safe and secure here. Mega is just up the hill a 10 minute or 50 peso cab ride, we generally walked up and cabbed home with the groceries.
The only thing we found we did not like was the highway that is several hundred meters away, we could smell exhaust sometimes at night, but this might also be attributed to the construction on the road while we were there, it was only noticeable a couple times. We would stay here again in a heartbeat, feel free to contact me with questions.

Room Tip: The La Jolla complex is a group of Condos with individual owners, be careful and research your unit...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank iFosser
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Well, we just got back from San Jose del Cabo and absolutely loved it! We stayed at La Jolla Condominiums. Just as others have noted, La Jolla is NOT a hotel. It is an immaculately groomed condominium complex owned by private owners who rent out their condos. Lucky us - we happen to know the owner of G304 - otherwise known as www.bluepalms.ca. It was a home away from home! We were travelling with another couple and the condo was perfect! Two king-size bedrooms each with their own private ensuite bathroom. Everything was provided from a welcome beer in the fridge to free wifi to snorkeling gear for the beach.

The complex itself offered two pools and an expansive beach - which we loved to walk every day!

The highlights were:

- walking to Zippers for lunch - a beach bar to the south
- dinner at Deckmans just two blocks away - can't go wrong with a Michelin chef can you?
- lunch on the patio of Cabo Surf Hotel - a $5 cab ride away
- New Years eve at Javiers (Cabo Azul Resort) was really special
- Did I mention the desert buggie riding through Sierra Buggies. They pick you up right at the BelAir Hotel Lobby which is adjacent to the La Jolla Condominium complex
- Scuba diving with Cabo Adventures (they also pick you up)
- Christmas Dinner at Voila! was great
- The Art Walk on Thursday evening

Ok.....I need to plan another return vacation!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple