“A very good deal for a fairly basic hotel room.”

Hotel & Suites Las Palmas
Ranked #35 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 30 December 2009

My wife, three teenage daughters, and I stayed here for one night on our way to the airport after spending the week in La Paz. The staff was very helpful and upgraded us to a basic suite (i.e., two double beds plus a small sitting area with a microwave, minifridge, sink, and utensils) to compensate for the fact that they were charging us extra for having a 5th person in the room. The hotel does not have rollaway beds. (Would have been helpful to know that when making reservations on line) but they did provide extra bedding so one of my daughters could sleep on the love seat. Pool area is lovely but noisy due to traffic from the highway. Our room, however, was not noisy. Back of hotel looks out on a nice residential neighborhood. Front looks out on highway, hotels, stripmalls, etc.There is a restaurant connected to the hotel; they happily brought food up to the pool for my daughters. Easy 20 minute walk to town center (which is filled with tourist shops,restaurants, and art galleries). Supermarket, a bakery, two sushi shops, etc are across the street. About 50% of the store fronts on the first floor of the hotel are empty, but among those that were not, there was a bank with ATM, two shipping stores, a pharmacy, and a small coffee shop. There is free Wi-Fi, but it is not advertised and is a little clunky (but no worse than other "value" hotels I've been in). Just ask the front desk for the login and password information. We would most likely stay here again if we only needed a night coming to or from the airport. We wouldn't stay here longer because we much prefer La Paz or other places on the East Cape.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank travel_w-o_travail
Claudio N, Gerente at Hotel & Suites Las Palmas, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Our location is great for those that are looking to stay near to the airport, as we are only 20 minutes away.

Since your last visit we have been working toward updating many aspects of our hotel, hope next time you come and visit Los Cabos give us the opportunity to serve you again.

Regards,

Reviewed 11 September 2009

the hotel is comfortable and clean, and well located if you are on bussiness plan or rent a car cause it is not close to the beach, a cab ride to the beach is about 20 us dlls. the pool is nice and warm, the water in the shower never gets cold, it is too hot even if you just open the cold water grip.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank latin26

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are glad to hear that you found our location convenient and most important very comfortable. We have been imrpoving our services since your last visit, hope to have the opportunity to be serving you any time soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 24 December 2007

Clean, safe, reasonably priced room with typically hard Mexican mattresses. A little noisy if you're facing the road. Ask for a room that doesn't. You'll need a car as it's about a mile from the beach. We stayed there for one night prior to starting our adventure after arriving late.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank RedHare
Claudio N, Gerente at Hotel & Suites Las Palmas, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2014

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for taking your time to post your opinion from your stay at Hotel & Suites Las Palmas. Since your last visit we have been improving our service, we invite you to consider us as an option on your next future visits to Los Cabos.

Reviewed 8 February 2007

I paid $59.00 a night through SkyAuction.com which includes all fees and taxes. I've never been to Cabo, so can't compare this rate to other establishments. My stay started 1/13/07 and was for 7 nights. The purpose of my trip was r&r with no set agenda. I'm a budget traveler and use my hotel room for sleep and a shower, so I don't book fancy or posh rooms.

The hotel is located on the main street, but since my room faced away from the street, noise was not a problem. The hotel occupies the 2nd floor of a strip mall, so view and ambiance is non-existent.

Check in was smooth, but they required a security deposit for the tv remote and room key.

Room was a little small, but I don't need much as I was traveling solo. My room was at the far end of the complex so it did take a while to walk in and out of the area. It also took an extra long period of time to get hot water for my shower (no tubs, just a shower stall), which may not be a problem during warmer months (I was unlucky and found my self in Cabo during an abnormal cold period). Since it was cold in Cabo, I requested and received an extra blanket. Room was always properly cleaned and the hotel area was always very clean.

There's a restaurant in the complex that provides service for all meals, but I can only comment on the breakfast. Bfast was $8.00 and was buffet style with very little choice and mediocre food. I recommend finding other places to eat if you want a good meal. There is a very well stocked supermarket (with excellent and cheap Mexican pastries) across the street, so if your room has a refrigerator and microwave, this is a good way to save money. Unfortunately my room had neither of these conveniences. The hotel does provide a pool which I did not use as it wasn't heated and the weather was cold. Free Internet service using a computer in the lobby area was a pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Lastly, please note that I strongly recommend the use of a rental car if you are staying here. There's not much around the hotel to see or do. I'm an avid walker, but everything seemed a little far away to get to.

Overall, the level of amenities, location was as expected for the rate I paid. Nothing wowed me, but nothing disappointed me either. I had an average room in an average hotel in an average location, but I paid a (below?) average price.

FYI, I used Orbitz for my car rental and got a rate of $28.00 per day including all fees, but not including Insurance which I paid Orbitz an additional $63.00 for (most US policies do not cover you while in Mexico). The rental company (Advantage) tried to make me pay an additional $7.00 per day for liability insurance and stated that it was the law in Mexico. I would have gone for it, until I saw that the fee was hand written and was listed as 'other.' Seemed odd for mandatory insurance and after explaining that I had insurance via Orbitz and would contact Orbitz for an explanation on Mexican insurance requirements, the fee was waved. Be careful as this clearly was a scam.

Stayed: January 2007
13  Thank Vagabond_John

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate all of your comments and we want you to know that since your last visit we have been improving our services.

For all our guests convenience we have complimentary breakfast during your stay, besides the free use of computers and internet in the lobby, we have wifi access in all of our rooms with no extra charge, also all of our units has microwave and fridge.

We would love to have the opportunity to serve you in a future and show you we can do better.

Reviewed 4 January 2007

Las Palmas is located on highway 1
a highway rated with the most accidents in the world by USA today
the traffic noise is troublesome there are no views
movie theatre is long gone
san jose a once beautiful little community is now a cement jungle wall to wall hotels condos and sightings of the ocean are few and far between. the only thing that remains constant is nice weather for the most part.

Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank ColoradoLibby
Reviewed 5 April 2006

My room was small, but nicely furnished,air-conditioned, and spotlesslly clean. The room faced the back of the mall(the hotel is located in a shopping mall) facing a quiet residential area.The pool seemed o.k. although I never used it.Internet acces,which could be expensive in this area, was free, and provided by the hotel. Service was very cordial.
The fact that the hotel was in a mall turned out to be an advantage. Any possible thing needed,such as drugs,laundary service,restaurants,or beauty aids ,were easily found in the stores below.They even have a movie theatre.
Best, beleive it or not ,are the two bus stops for public transport, just outside of the hotel. Hop on a public bus, and for a few cents, ride to any of the gorgeous beaches along the Corridor, in just minutes.
Or, if you want to walk downtown, or to any of the big malls, its only a very short walk.
The only negative was the labyrinth of a walkway,in getting to your room.It sometimes felt long. But for the inexpensive rates, and all the other assets, it did not matter much

• Stayed: April 2006
13  Thank jsohmer

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy to see that you found our service prompt and our rooms comfortable. We are centrally located with a walmart and many other services within walking distance. We pride ourselves on providing a comfortable relaxing experience for all of our guests

We sincerely appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to having you with us again as our guest.

Reviewed 9 March 2005

Suites Las Palmas is a basic hotel located above a strip mall. It was right on the main road, but the doors/windows didn't let the sound through, so road noise wasn't an issue, unless something was open. The room was clean and the staff was friendly, although English speaking wasn't guaranteed. The pool was a nice touch. My husband and I stayed here on the cheap (we got it at a bargain price thru the skyauction website) and we needed a place to decompress and fully relax for a few days before we headed to the luxury timeshare resort and would feel guilty for not taking advantage of the amenties. The restaurant in the mall was fine, but if you've rented a car you are close to San Jose del Cabo and finer dining. There was also a pharmacy and movie theater in the mall. As with most of SJdC, this was not so much a tourist area, this was more of a locals place, a lot more authentic then Cabo San Lucas. I was a little scared making a reservation at a place I could find almost nothing about, but was pleasantly surprised with the result. Don't expect the Ritz, or catering to American tourists, but a basic, clean, decent place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2004
46  Thank jjsm00

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, makes us happy to see that we helped making your trip to Los Cabos easier and that our staff was friendly. We work hard to keep our rooms as our facilities clean to provide you a comfortable stay.

Our location is very convenient for our guests, airport is just 20 minutes away and downtown San Jose is less than 10 minutes distance. We have a Walmart supermarket just across the street and many other services within walking distance.

We look forward to have the opportunity to serve you again.