“Hotel gets 3 1/2 but overall experience gets a 4+ for value and fun”

Posada Real Los Cabos
Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Kelowna, B.C.
“Hotel gets 3 1/2 but overall experience gets a 4+ for value and fun”
Reviewed 27 March 2013

The Posada Real is excellent for the price, but it is not for you if you are overly picky. Nothing about the hotel stood out and there were some idiosyncrasies (toilet seat lids that would not stay open) that are typical of 3.5 star hotel in Mexico (not that they are necessarily a bad thing - some of the oddities are actually endearing). It is an older hotel and the beds were hard (not surprising). But the hotel was kept clean. The food was good and while it was not a huge buffet, there was a different theme nightly so there was good variety from night to night. Most of our lunches were from the Taco Bar at the beach and they were very enjoyable - especially since you could get it served to you right to your lounger on the beach (I have had beach service at other hotels, but usually only drinks). The breakfast buffet became the most repetitive, but there was someone to make fresh eggs/omelets every morning (I really liked the traditional coffee). There is no entertainment staff, but there was entertainment in the lobby nightly. Things wrapped up by 10:30 or 11:00 p.m. Drink selection was better than average for a hotel in this range and included Bailey's and Malibu knock-offs. I am a tequila drinker and their tequilas were on the cheap side - Gran Jurado Oro, 100 Anos Oro, Jose Cuervo Reposado, El Jimador blanco, etc. - exactly what I expected. At dinner, they would put some Gran Jurado in a white oak barrel and that was somewhat better.

What made the hotel were the people. The staff were good to excellent and as said earlier, beach service is something you do not get at many 4+ star hotels. Of note, Krista was amazing every night in the lobby bar and bartenders and servers like Jeremias and Sergio stood out. What was the most fun were the people we met. In most hotels, Canadians seem to be in the majority, but this one had a fantastic mix. At one point there were so many Mexicans in the hotel, we were in the minority. We had so much fun with the mix of young, old, Mexican, American, Canadian and even Panamanian. Overall, for someone like me in my mid-40s, it was the perfect mix of a quiet relaxing hotel and party hotel.

The other advantage is its proximity to everything. Short walk to a Mega store, a longer 1/2 hour walk to San Jose (beautiful town in which you have to have Churros from the cart in the square that seems to be there nightly. The art walk is incredible.). If you do not feel like walking, it only costs ten pesos to take the bus. It is a half hour bus ride to Cabo San Lucas and around a 20 minute bus ride to Chileno Beach/Bay (less than 30 pesos each way). The hotel will pack you a bag lunch if you are doing activities outside the hotel.

I mentioned the lack of entertainment staff, but it did not stop us from creating our own. We met a group of university students from Puebla and two nights they were able to procure wood and a barrel from the hotel for a fire on the beach. The hotel had both beach and water volleyball nets and you could create your own games. It even has a putting area.

Overall it was a great two weeks. It reminded me of The Friendly in Puerto Vallarta (which I liked better) and would go back if the price was right. Numerous people we spent time with mentioned that they have been before and/or would go back. The last time we were in Los Cabos, we stayed at the Riu Santa Fe near Cabo San Lucas. While overall we liked the Riu better as a hotel, we liked San Jose del Cabo better and enjoyed the experience of a smaller hotel.

Must do: Chileno Beach for snorkeling and ocean swimming. Tequila fans must go to Los Barriles de Don Malaquias (I bought a one litre white oak barrel of anejo tequila for less than $80).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Canuckshowman

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel last week and overall I was pleased. I think it is a really good budget option, but still is right on the beach and centrally located. We did the breakfast and drinks only option (as opposed to all inclusive), and I was very happy with it. There is a hot breakfast buffet with lots of options, and fresh fruit, juices, pastries, etc. I basically ate enough at breakfast I never needed lunch either! And we like venturing out to try new places for dinner, so it worked out perfectly.
Yes, the property is dated, yes, the bed was hard and bedding could probably stand to be replaced...but the service is good (well the front desk staff was great, at times I found the service in the breakfast area a bit lacking), the pool is nice, and you are right on the beach. We were there during spring break and didn't really see any spring breakers till we were at the airport heading home. This is not a party hotel. You can walk into San Jose, I think it took about 20 minutes to get there. And the Mega is less than 10. If you rent a car, parking is free. Decent hotel for the money!

3 Thank kmeg_10
vancouver canada
Reviewed 23 March 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for a week in early March. I had written to the hotel to determine if the pool temperature was warm. They said it would be 78 degrees. When we first arrived it was not 78 degrees but warm enough but by the end of the stay it was too cold to go in. No one else was using the pool and it is a shame because the pool is an important part of the hotel. You cannot swim in the ocean so this is it. The other problem is the music played from about 11 am to 6 pm at the pool. Who wants to hear the old golden oldies over and over again. Most people around the pool and at the beach are older couples with a few families. I am sure no one came to "rock on"and do the usual all inclusive attempt at making everything seam like a drinking party. The sound carried on to the hotel rooms and drowned out the sound of the birds that you hear so clearly in the earlier morning. In this day and age of personal listening devices those that want music can listen privately.
I make these complaints because I thought from earlier reviews that this was a very low key quiet place to say. Also I had been told that the pool would be warm.
This place does have excellent service, the rooms are fine and the food as good as any all inclusive I have visited. It is small and would be perfect for families and couples who want a chance to relax and play.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rickVancouverCanada
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is a smaller hotel on the beach of San Jose Cabo's Hotel Zone. It is NOT a party hotel. Despite the live entertainment nightly (which was very good), the excitement was usually over by 10:30 every night. With the lobby, main restaurant, inside bar, and entertainment area sharing space it could be quite cramped. This area was the "hub" of the hotel, with rooms spanning out in a "V" to the left and right. This meant the noise from the "hub" could easily be heard through your rooms open patio door, so I think the noise is patrolled by the staff. Don't expect to continue the party outside or at the pool at night!
That being said, the Posada is in a great location; within walking distance of the town of San Jose Cabo (which I found to have plently of shopping, restaurants, and bars) as well as "The Mega", a large grocery and liqour store with clothing and other household goods frequented by the locals that anchors the corner of a strip mall with a few shops and a food court including McDonald's and a Starbucks.
It was easy to get to know the great staff and meet new friends vacationing there because of it's size. The pool is small. If you want a beach chair you'd better get up early and throw your towel over the back of one! We saw whales every morning right from our beach and I sat six feet away from a friendly pelican who was curious about the pool.
I went all inclusive (for an awesome price) and was a little concerned about there being only ONE main restaurant and ONE grill by the pool (as well as one indoor and one outdoor bar), but found this was more than plentiful (as shown by my scale when I got back). The restaurant is buffet style for every meal and changes themes every night. The Italian night lasagna was to die for! Same for the ravioli. The grill by the pool has a great club sandwhich and one of the best hamburgers I have ever eaten!
The rooms are older with plain title and some cracked an dirty grout. The bathrooms were clean, the beds were hard (although my roommate loved hers), and you could hear every footstep in the hall way. If you are expecting marble or travertine - don't come here.
Overall I found it to be a great girl's trip. The hotel is a good reflection of the sleepier little town of San Jose vs Cabo San Lucas, and was paced just right for me. Couldn't beat the price!
I would definately return!

Room Tip: I think you could probably see the ocean from any room because the Hotel is shaped like a "V&qu...
2 Thank PlumCrazy4406
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I read lots of reviews after we booked this hotel-it was a great deal we couldn't pass up. What everyone was right about was the great service. Everyone was nice and friendly most spoke english well and there was never any problems with miscommunication. The hotel grounds were lovely and the rooms were clean.
The only issues I would state are already stated in many other reviews- the food was certainly lacking. Thankfully the snack bar open during the day was good otherwise i would have been really hungry all week- nothing was on the healthy side wither. We essentially decided to eat out our dinners off property but it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I would defiantly come back especially for the price and maybe just wouldn't do all inclusive. It was a 15 min walk to a lovely village and a 15 min cab ride to the city so there were lots of options to eat/drink and be entertained. But as for a pretty place to relax this hotel fits the bill.
Best part was our pool/beach waiter- he took such great care of us!!!

Room Tip: Stay away from the end of the hall- we were next to a closet the maids use and they slammed the door...
2 Thank Ashley F
las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This hotel is just what everyone says. It is clean, quiet, good food, and restful! We were looking for a vacation (my husband and I...no kids! yes!) that would be condusive to some real R & R. This is the place for that. It is incredibly affordable. The food is good. Everything shuts down between 10:30 - 11 p.m. There are no loud, crazy partiers running up and down the hallways or crowding the bar at night. Most of the other hotel guests were probably 40 and above. There were a couple of families who have discovered this gem, but not many.

The service is great. When we left we felt like we knew our servers. Everyone greats you with a smile and is eager to help.

The food is authentic and good. Everynight (we stayed 6 nights) was a different meal that had several options to choose from.

The snack bar quesadillas and nachos are out of this world.

There is room on the beach for everyone! When we went walking down the beach, we noticed the crowded beach front of other hotels. It looked like they sardined as many chairs as possible to maximize their profits at the expense of guest comfort. Not so with Posada. There are groups of 4 loungers under each tiki looking umbrella and room for everyone. Talk about relaxing! We even saw whales breaching from where we lay. So amazing!

The rooms are clean. Nothing impressive to look at, but comfy beds, clean bathrooms and a balacony to sit on. The cactus garden is beautiful. The birds sing to you in the morning.

This vacation gave us everything we needed. Which was rest and relaxation. If you are looking for a wild, sleepless vacation, this is not the place. If you want good service, great food and people for a deal...stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for garden view and you will face the ocean and garden.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michelle W
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I mostly agree with the great review's about this place. My wife had a conference at the very very expensive hotel just beside the Posada Real and we felt we did not miss anything. In fact the staff is very nice and you have entertainment almost every night. The restaurant by the pool is very handy and the prices are very low.
Wi-fi is reception is best near the pool bar.
The only issue I found is that the music from the pool bar is VERY LOUND . They could also have more variety in the music as the same music is played often during the day.
All is all, a great place and I would go back if I went again in the area.
Apart form the hotel, note that you cannot swim in the sea because of the strong undertow and the strong waves.
The climate is very dry , thus the reason for the near dying palm trees along the road. You must see the estuary near the Holiday Inn hotel; the path leads you near the town. Their is a lot of vegetation and birds and ducks. Since its free , its not advertised...

The small town is about a 40 minute walk from the hotel (or just take the bus for 9.5 pesos !).
The town is really made for tourists and you will find many many jewelry stores.
You see very little local people as the whole area is simply a tourist place.
Five minutes or so by foot from the Posada Real , their is an ultra modern giant MEGA food and merchandise store and a Starbucks, a Radio Shack and other small stores.
As for the fridge in the room, we did not have one. We wish we had a fridge because we would have saved money and its very convenient.
The climate is great for someone who has arthritis. The area is quite safe and well policed.

On the other hand the climate is very dry, it almost never rains and the whole area is a tourist place & you cannot swim in the sea.
Their is no real sense of true living condition's of a regular town with the real local people living there, because its all modern hotels hotels and shops.

Room Tip: If you go to bed before 11 PM. make sure to ask for a room on the outside of the courtyard, away fro...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Yves497
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#62 of 115 in Los Cabos
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Royal Decameron Los Cabos
Royal Decameron Los Cabos
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Posada Real Los Cabos? Share your experiences!