“Not what I expected”

Ranked #22 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
California
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

This hotel has one major flaw: the food is terrible. I got all inclusive (breakfast and drink only) and I am glad I did not go for the whole package. Water down drinks, and the food is just tasteless and with very few choices. We finally skipped the breakfast too, and preferred to cross the street and had lunch in a restaurant.

The hotel has a nice view and all rooms have an ocean view. And at night one can sleep all night without noise which is a big plus for me. The beach area has plenty of palapas and chairs, any time during the day and the pool is not crowded. Nighlife is nonexistent.

The area is very safe and there is a commercial mall about 2 blocks away open until about midnight. There are also stores like 7 eleven, called OXXO that open until 2 am.

Beautiful beach "El medano" in Cabos San lucas, which is about 20 minutes away by bus.
"El CHileno Beach" is also nice, but don't go there on weekends (too crowded). Finally the beaches I loved "La Playita" and 'Palmilla" just about 3 miles from this hotel.

Cabos San Lucas is one the most expensives places in Mexico. Taxis and car rentals are not affordable for a lot of people. Just one day rental at the hotel cost 72 USD plus gas! And such a small car that a tall guy like me couldn't get in!
Thanks God they have a great bus system which we used daily.

In general Posada Real is located in a nice area, with a beautiful beach and between Barceló hotel and El Faro, two mega resorts. Their all inclusive is not a good idea. And if reservations are made online, call the hotel to double check your reservations were made.

Room Tip: all rooms have an ocean view.
5 Thank larryreina
raulchi, Gerente at Posada Real Los Cabos, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very sorry because we didn't fulfilled your expectations during your staying with us.

We will continue to work in improving our food quality and services in order to get always happy clients.

We appreciate your comments.

Sincerely

The Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at Posada on a quick getaway from Austin for 3 nights! We were blown away by the hotel and its staff. Rooms and view was very nice and clean. Staff was so accomodating with our every need! The Manager was awesome when we did have a couple of minor issues to address. Location was perfect and walking distance to a large grocery store and the bus stop for transportion.

We will most definitely be going back to the Posada real. Thank you staff!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott B
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We were looking for an inexpensive getaway, and this hotel came up very cheap. Then at checkout we were offered the option to make it all inclusive. We had never done that before, but at that low a price, we figured if we can only get breakfast and perhaps a few drinks or lunch by the pool one day, we would be ahead. Well, we had dinner there every night as well. Breakfast buffet was great, with cooked to order eggs too. Then lunch by the pool or on the beach a la carte,, simple, but delicious. For dinner always a great variety, buffet style, but also cooking tuna, chicken, pork to your liking.
They were never skimping on drinks. Very friendly service, bringing you drinks all day, without having to find a waiter and ask for drinks. Even on the beach they came asking if we needed anything all the time, and once they know your vice, some waiters will just bring you a couple of drinks.
Hotel is a little smaller resort, which I really liked. Very laid back, no elevators, everything is close. Pool is right by the beach. They say there is a dangerous undertow there, and the red flags were out everyday, but we swam regardless and had a blast. Take a bus from close to the hotel the get to San Jose for 10 pesos, or San Lucas for 30. Rental cars on site.
Hotel is a little older and shows some age, but rooms are clean, and the beds are nice. Would go back in a heartbeat

5 Thank peterVK
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Posada Real was excellent! It is not a "glamour" resort with polished marble everywhere, but the service and atmosphere were top-notch. Benito, Esteban, and Ismael were great and we could hardly finish a plate of food or a drink without them being right there asking if we wanted another. The rooms are simple, but we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. There was entertainment each night, even karaoke one night, which was a lot of fun. The resort is somewhat small, which is great because you make friends with many of the people there. The beach is nice, the only downside for some is there is a fairly strong undertow. If you are a strong swimmer, it is fun for body surfing, but if you have not experienced much undertow before it can be a bit frightening. Most all of the staff speaks English, but they appreciate it when you try to speak Spanish to them. Even if you don't know much they enjoy helping you with your Spanish. Overall, it was a great, inexpensive getaway for my wife and myself and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: We had a Garden View on the 3rd floor, but we could easily see the ocean. So unless you want the oc...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My nephew and I stayed at the Posada Real for three nights before moving on to Cabo San Lucas for are final six nights. The Posada Real is approx. 20 miles from Cabo but only about 1.5 miles from Costa Azul surf spot Zippers. We had the breakfast and all day drinks wristbands and it was a great breakfast everyday and the drinks were plentiful. They also had a National Car Rental office in the hotel and we were able to get a rental car from them and they delivered as advertised.
BEWARE OF FOX RENTAL CAR...... FOX RENTAL CAR RIPPED US OFF AND LEFT US STRANDED AT THE AIRPORT. WE HAD A CONFIRMATION FROM THEIR WEBSITE THAT THEY WOULD NOT HONOR UNLESS WE LEFT A $20,000 DEPOSIT. Only use a well known rental car company or you may suffer the same fate.

Room Tip: Posada Real was perfect for our first few days but its at least 20 miles away from the town of Cabo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Oregon
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I just stayed at this property this past summer, the property is small, all rooms overlooking to the ocean and a central pool with a palapa bar. Rooms are just ok, dont expect fancy linens or ammenities but ok for the value. I chose the all inclusive package and its worth it just for the breakfast and snacks/drinks during the day.
Service was excellent, all personnel with great attitude. One of the best things is the location, as its just minutes away from a big shopping plaza with a supermarket, coffee shops and some restaurants and its perfecty safe to walk around.

Room Tip: Choose ocean front suites
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MEM22
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is a fabulous little resort and if anyone is looking for good value, friendly staff, safe surrounding, clean rooms and great food at the 3 star level your search is over! I came for a one week stay as an all inclusive guest. I'm always nervous at what I will find upon arrival, but my worries were quickly pushed aside at check-in time, when I asked for and received my requested high floor, double bedded, close to the beach room. The porter took our luggage down to the room (a short walk, a nice thing about a small resort) and I was so pleased with our room.
My Room - A lovely bright clean room with a beautiful view of the cactus garden, pool and ocean, only one room away from the beach front suites! (#318) All Rooms here are on the diagonal view so all rooms have a decent view, especially those facing the cactus gardens. The balcony was very spacious with two chairs. The safe is FREE to use, just ask for the lock and key at the front desk. There is a $100 US fee for lost keys. Safe are plenty large enough for an Ipad or small lap top.
FREE unlimited wi-fi (amazing deal as other resorts charge or limit the wifi to 30 minutes per room!). Signal for wif-fi reached all areas of resort, including rooms, pool and beach loungers. You are given 2 bottles of water upon arrival and asked to please refill as needed at the many many water machine refill stations throughout the resort - excellent idea. These stations are EVERYWHERE, as well plastic cups are available. Maid service is good, i left a $2 tip each day, rooms usually cleaned between 10 am to 2 pm. Ask for an extra room key to leave in your room if you want the AC to run while you are away, then you can leave key in the slot by the door. This is also needed to run the TV set (modern LCD TVs) Each bed had a modern thick pillow top mattress on it which was very comfortable to sleep on! I have been to Mexico over 10 times and I have never had such a comfortable mattress!
Keys are the card type with the holes punched in it - see my pictures
Food - I really enjoyed the food. Breakfast was excellent. Lots of fresh fruit, made to order eggs and omelet station and nice cookies with jam to have with your coffee after. Lunch was available in the restaurant or by the poolside and I always at by poolside. See the menu in my pictures. All inclusives don't pay of course! I either ate at my lounger on the beach or at one of the tables by the pool. Since I am a vegetarian, the cook was great adapting things like making bean and cheese tacos instead of meat ones and grilled cheese sandwiches. The nachos were amazing and the guacamole and salsa was SO fresh! The waiters were so nice and polite! Dinner always had something and the salads were very nice. Meat eaters will be happy as there are always fresh to order meats to grill. Different Theme every night (see picture)
Beach - Beautiful HUGE beach. Plenty of loungers and palapa huts for all, I dont know if it was just because it was off season, but we had our choice of loungers no matter what time of the day. If you look at the ocean and turn right you can walk towards Cabo San Lucas and if your turn left you can walk for a long time and finally get to the Holiday Inn and the bird estuary. Beware - this is NOT a swimming beach! The surf here is dangerous, strong swimmer can play in the surf but it can be dangerous. Waves can pull you in and take you away. Beautiful sunrises in the morning.
Entertainment - Each evening there is live music with a singer or there is 2 karokee nights. Nothing special, but nice music, some dancing. Bar remains open to 11:00 pm and then resort becomes very quiet, which was nice for me, but if you want a wild party, you have to look elsewhere.
Pool - Very very nice pool, very warm temperature so easy to get into, swim up bar, kiddie pool separate which is nice. Sometimes got a game of pool volleyball going ourselves, but there is no organized activities of any sort. There is a nice beach volleyball court too, but must organize games yourself. Also one tennis court and mini golf course. Nice music playing, not blaring too loud.
Location - right in the heart of the hotel zone, about a 5 to 7 minute walk to the MEGA store, turn left when you get to the main road, it is almost across from the Barcelo resort. to walk to the town of San Jose del Cabo turn right and follow the signs. It takes about 25 minutes or flag down a white or yellow bus that says "CENTRO or SAN JOSE" on it. cost is 10 pesos. very easy and fun.
One of the best things about this resort was there were NO time share people! NONE. I understood from meeting others on an excursion I went on that in other resorts they were constantly being bothered by time share sharks.
In conclusion, if you come expecting 5 star surrounding and service you will be disappointed, but if you come expecting a solid, clean 3 star resort with decent rooms, service and food you will be very pleased and have a great week!

17 Thank Salsajo
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Tesoro Los Cabos
Tesoro Los Cabos
#61 of 115 in Los Cabos
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Royal Decameron Los Cabos
Royal Decameron Los Cabos
#17 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Posada Real Los Cabos? Share your experiences!