“Lovely stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel
Ranked #24 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
inverness
“Lovely stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

We stayed at the cheaper art of the hotel across the road. You can still use the lovely pool.
Central location, if you go up to the laundry and turn right and left you get to a great Taqueria. Make sure to go for walk across main square in eveningforatmoshere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cliff U, Guest Relations Manager at El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
We are very glad you were able to enjoy the downtown, Art District events and activities.
The downtown area is full of public free activities as well as great restaurants and galleries
Thank You for the visit please come back!
Safe travels from all of us at the El Encanto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Winfield, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

Really liked the location of this hotel, right off the main downtown area, walk to everything you could possibly need! The pool area is really nice! And gives you the "garden" feel in both buildings!

It came up short by being separate buildings. If you have a standard room, you are down the road and across the street from the main building. Awkward for going to the pool. When we got there we had many bags, our taxi dropped us off at the main office and then we had to shlep all our stuff one by one (with someone having to stay back with the rest of the luggage to stand guard) down the street and across the road to our room.

On the good side, the building was really cute!! I loved the atrium area outside the rooms! Beautifully decorated and the atrium area keeps the downtown area noise to almost nil. It has a cozy fireplace I could see using on a cool night. Very romantic and cozy area!

The rooms were very basic, for all the outside cute decor the rooms were basic and bland. We used the ceiling fan with the window open and slept like babies. No noise and the beds were very comfortable!

I really liked the bathroom. The shower was huge, the shower head needs to be cleaned or replaced as it sprayed in awkward directions, but plenty of hot water and roomy counter space.

There is a TV with cable. We don't really watch TV on vacation but it seemed to have all the channels one would need. Was good for checking weather.

Front desk is very helpful and can get you a taxi or arrange places to go for you. I am glad to see that they were able to expand, but really wish the 2 building set up was closer together.

I would stay here again if we come back. Depending on what the trip was for and who it was with. If you have kids, you are better off staying at a bigger more convenient place.

But for a romantic, fun couples getaway it really is a pretty good deal. The price is not bad and I really loved being so close to the main street area. You would not need a car and you can spend a whole week doing close by things.

I felt very safe walking around town and all the nearby restaurant staffs were really helpful and friendly! There is a locking gate for the building make sure you find out what time the gate locks. There is a way to open it, but I am not sure. We were pooped by 10pm anyways!

We really enjoyed our time there.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are basic, but while they are separate from the main building, I think that's...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cliff U, Guest Relations Manager at El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you for the great detail in talking about the area and the fun of spending
some time downtown. We appreciate your comments on the hotel
and will share them with staff.
Thanks from all of us at the El Encanto
Safe Travels
Newman Lake, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

As I stated in the title, we really wanted this hotel to more like the excellent reviews than the poor reviews. Objectively I can say I wouldn't stay here again, but I can see why others like it. Some of the things that went wrong weren't the fault of the hotel, but one must really explain what the entire package is like so you can make a more informed decision about where you stay.

Pros:
- Yes it is right downtown, well, it is on the north end of downtown, but only a couple blocks walk to the plaza and restaurants, art, shopping etc.

- Very cute, the main building is definitely charming, lovely garden and the rooms are well appointed.

- The manager was helpful in explaining the town and called a taxi for us too

Cons:
- 4am wake up call by dump truck backing up directly outside our room on the street. Bad luck I guess...

- 6am wake up calls every 30 seconds by cars driving by on busy road to the north, our room was closest to the office (south) and we could hear them quite easily, all the other rooms are even closer to that road, so they have to be even louder. Some small water fountains could be purchased for each room to help drown this out...

- Toilet handle broke after two flushes, the rest of the night and morning we had to use our hands to manually flush from inside the tank, gross... I did not report until check out, not much that could have been done to resolve in the night/morning, we wanted our rest. Room maintenance/back luck...

- Shower head literally hanging from the wall, squirting water in your face no matter how hard you tried to avoid it... Yes it is a shower, but I prefer to not be force fed water. Room maintenance issue for sure...

- Didn't see a hot tub, this is a must for us in the evening.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Cliff U, Guest Relations Manager at El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank You for your very detailed constructive comments.
We will discuss and correct the issues that are in our control.
Safe travels from all of us at the El Encanto
Nevada City, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I and another couple shared a 2 bedroom suite upstairs, overlooking the garden and pool area. We only stayed one night, having arrived late in the afternoon with plans to drive to La Paz the next morning. The room was lovely and the beds were very comfortable. The staff were helpful and accommodating. We were given passes for a complimentary breakfast at Jasmine's, a nice restaurant 2 blocks up the street. The El Encanto Inn location was perfect to explore the neighborhood art galleries and boutiques on foot. There are many wonderful restaurants nearby. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Cliff U, Guest Relations Manager at El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for visiting our City and Hotel. The downtown Historic committee and the Art District Association have worked very hard the last 3 years on the remodel and renewal of the Historic Center. We will have a restaurant on the hotel grounds your next visit.
Thanks for your comments and Safe Travels from all of us at the El Encanto
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I called about 2 months ahead and reserved a 2 bedroom suite. There are the Suites and then they also have the regular hotel rooms across the streets I asked for the "Internet Special" and told them I would pay in full that day. I believe it was about 200.00 for a 2 bedroom, kitchen, dining, living room. It is an older hotel but everything was clean including the courtyard and pool. About 2 blocks from the town square which was a lot of fun in the evening. Many restaurants in walking distance. We also received a free breakfast for 4 at Jasmine"s which we have eaten at many times in previous years. I think check out time was like at noon...have to love that. We only stayed one night because we flew in one day early before check in at our resort for the week. I will stay at El Encanto Inn again if I am in need of a nightly. They were beginning construction for a small restaurant on site while we were there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank oldfatman
Cliff U, Guest Relations Manager at El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank you for the time to review, the restaurant will be open first week in March
and we are excited to provide our guests a new service.
Taking the time to visit the Historical Center and Art district before heading to the beach
is a great idea and we have a lot of guests that do just that.
We love Austin also you live in a great city.
Best to You from all of us at the El Encanto and Safe Travels!
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

These hotel has two buildings - one for the suites and the other - down the street - containing the "standard" rooms. We stayed in a standard room on the second floor and had to listen to the rock band in the bar across the street until the wee hours. The room itself was OK and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Location within San Jose del Cabo is excellent. No restaurant on site at the moment but many options are available within walking distance.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MikefromSeattle
Cliff U, Guest Relations Manager at El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
We will have a restaurant on the property soon and are glad you had a chance
to enjoy the historic center. Your comments on the noise are helpful as there is a
decibel curfew in the Art District.
Safe Travels from all of us at the El Encanto
Eagle River, Alaska
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

We stayed here in 2007 and could not wait to return. This time was a totally disappointing experience. We booked on their website and prepaid the $185 room charge for the first night, as required. Upon check in, I was given a paper to sign regarding the $185 already prepaid room plus another sheet of paper for an additional $655 for the remaining three nights on our reservation. Turns out that now that we are in Mexico we must pay another 21% tax or some such thing, even though our VISA statement was charged only $185. I assumed the room rate was $185/night. Silly me.

The following morning I went to reception to better understand the prices before my husband found out and raised a racket. There I found a sign offering free breakfast. We had just spent $30 at a french bakery on breakfast. I was offered no explanation other than they would give me two coupons for the next day's breakfast. We were three adults sharing one room and paying the extra bed cost and extra person cost, but were denied the third breakfast free coupon and had to pay the restaurant an extra $5.00. Strike two.

We attended mass on Christmas Eve and returned to the hotel after our Christmas Eve dinner at about 12:30 midnight. The hotel gates were locked up tighter than Fort Knox, complete with padlocks and spikes in the cement. We walked the perimeter of the hotel and tried to climb the wall, but only succeeded in waking the neighboring dogs. After a good 30 minutes, we finally admitted defeat and headed for our rental car to spend the night. Fortunately, we saw one light go on and managed to rap on the window and call out for assistance. A very nice (but "frightened to death" Canadian woman left her room, appeared at the gate and managed to press a latch from the inside and, voilla, the gates opened like magic. In any event, we were never told that the gates would be locked nor told how to press the latch to let ourselves back in. She had not been told, either.

Finally, we were told by reception that we could have a 1:00 p.m. check out on Christmas morning and to remind the person at the desk. We did that and were told in no uncertain terms that the other clerk was mistaken and that we were to check out at noon or pay a $30/hour fine.
And....I supposed there was tax included in that, also. Merry Christmas.

We did not use the pool during our entire four night stay, as it was dirty and the same bugs were floating around all day. No one else ventured into the pool either. We did see it being cleaned on two occasions, to be fair.

My daughter and I are both Spanish teachers and truly love the Mexican culture and the Spanish language. We were so looking forward to another lovely stay at The Encanto Inn and we felt such a personal let down that it made us sad. Will we return? No. This time, mi casa es su casa was not true.

The Encanto Inn proudly displays the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for 2013. They must remember that this award is serious and they cannot just rest on their laurels. I love San Jose del Cabo and all it has to offer, but next time I will be forced to stay at a mega resort and only make day trips into the old town. I feel like I have lost a good friend and it hurts my heart.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank AlaskaMomofTwo
This is a tough one for us also. There are never any excuses
when you let a guest down we certainly apologize for the inconvenience.
To address the matter we start at the top with the owner and work our way
to staff meeting so everyone can read your comments.
We appreciate your candidness and will act on your comments
Safe Travels from all of us at the El Encanto