“A lovely oasis” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Colonia, NJ
“A lovely oasis”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2006

Just got back from San Jose del Cabo and let me tell you, if it were not for El Encanto Inn, the trip would have been a total loss for me. The architecture along with the gardens are charming to say the least. It was very easy to lounge in the pool and watch hummingbirds drink from the hibiscus or compare the different types of palms surrounding the grounds.

The staff works non-stop from sunrise past sunset. They are constantly cleaning and tending to the flora. Following our daily excursions, we always came back to a clean room with fresh towels, soaps, etc.

El Encanto's location is beneficial to those who want to be in the middle of the city which offers great restaurants and art galleries. Bring some cash with you because none of it is cheap. A few blocks away is their touristy main boulevard lined with different variations of the same shop selling the same stuff. Overall the location is great, but I think I would have preferred it to be on or closer to a beach. I could have selected a hotel or resort on a beach; however, I never saw photos of another hotel that looked quite as nice as El Encanto.

Three things to consider:
1. They started doing construction the last day we were there. It was loud and produced a lot of dust, as if the air could hold any more dust being kicked up from the surrounding dirt roads. I think one of the workers said that a spa was being built, but I am not sure. I would definately inquire about their progress before booking reservations.

2. Their website says that they serve food on the premises, but this is not true. Not to worry though, their is a fabulous bakery just a block away and a resaurant by the name of Jazmine's that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

3. El Encanto is actually two buildings, one across the street from the other. We were supposed to stay in a standard room which would not have been in the main building with reception and the pool. Only the pool suites are in the building with the pool (and construction), so they very generously gave us an upgrade in rooms. The other building is not as nice and is in need of renovations. They might actually be doing this because I don't think anyone was staying there, but again, you may want to check this out before booking.

• Stayed June 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank pdevince

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2006

Nice rooms with high ceiling. Beautiful walled in garden and pool area with a chapel.

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montclair NJ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2006

We stayed at what seemed like a sweet hotel in May 2006. We were there with several people from a wedding party. One evening, our coffee maker overflowed onto the floor. I cleaned the floor up with a towel and advised the manager. When we returned later that evening, the floor and coffee maker seemed clean..when I went to the bathroom, I noticed that the dirty, wet towel was hanging on the hook behind the bathroom door over clean towels and clean clothes--which were now dirty..I later found a small dirty towel INSIDE my suitcase between clothes. The next day, I brought it to the attention of the same manager who told me he didn't know how that happened since he was there with the maid. He asked the head housekeeper to accompany me to my room so I can show her the towels. On the way, she asked the usual day housekeeper to come with us...she later said she didn't know anything about it. I speak fluent Spanish and communicate well with the staff...(we even left a good tip every day for the housekeeper) My husband confronted this manager and questioned his reaction...he later apologized and promised to look into it. We chose not to have our room cleaned the next day. Another quest told me to be careful with the cleaning staff...later that night, as I was getting ready for the wedding, I notice that my Chanel makeup I bought specially for the wedding...that was on the shelf in the closet was gone!!! Upon checkout...no one knew "anything"...not even who had cleaned my room the following evening....I was promised the incident would be addressed by the owner...but have not heard from them!!!

Stayed May 2006
3 Thank lorrainea204
bhpedrin, Owner at El Encanto Inn & Suites Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 14 September 2006
We make every attempt to assist our valued guests with any proplems they may have. Most of our staff has been with us for many years, particularly housekeping.Many items are turned in and we try to contact the quest to determine how they wold like the item returned. sometimes we will wait till someone is traveling to the US to save the quest on shipping charges. If they are in a hurry we can ship DHL. Over the years we have tried to set a very high standard for how our guests are treated and there personal items. If we have been at fault or one of our staff did not handle something properly we apologise and give you our assurance we understand that satisfied quests are our business.
Sacramento, California, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2006

We stayed at the El Encanto for five nights, avoiding the "Las Vegas of Mexico" down at Cabo San Lucas. We found it a refreshing retreat from the hustle and bustle of the touristy areas in and around Cabo San Lucas. In fact, San Jose del Cabo blends the benefits of a non-touristy Mexican town with great restaurants and some decent shopping

We had a poolside suite at the El Encanto, which we found well decorated, clean, and comfortable. The only drawback is that the wall separating the bedroom suite from the bathroom doesn't go all the way to the ceiling, so you hear everything going on in the bathroom -- not great if you like some privacy (or in our case, when one of us got sick).

The pool is small but nice, and the clientele there was friendly, as was the staff.

Very walkable to town, nearby restaurants, etc. Not too close to a beach though.

We stayed over the Easter holiday, which is a big deal in Mexico. The hotel front desk completely closed down around dinner time and didnt re-appear until the next day. But that was no big deal -- but I can imagine a situation where it might be.

Didn't experience any billing or staff problems. In fact, there were a few of us sharing rooms and they were nice enough to split everything up for his.

• Stayed May 2006
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Vesparado
sanfrancisco
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2006

had the same problem as some of the other users. i booked the hotel for a getaway, then had to cancel, which i did well within the stipulations of their cancellation policy. took 2 months and a dispute to be filed with VISA in order to get the refund. unbelievable. I never stayed at the hotel and now, will never re-book. same problem with blanca. she's seems to be quite a piece of work!

Stayed April 2006
5 Thank marbellasanfrancisco
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2006

Our overall stay at El Encanto was allright however, there are some very serious issues with this hotel:
1) They know how to TAKE the reservation, they just don't know how to KEEP the reservation. We booked our specific room 6 months in advance. Once we got there, we were told that they accidentally gave the room to another couple that was already at the hotel. So we had to make-do with a lesser room and definitely not the one we wanted. No special accomodations were granted due to this issue in an attempt to keep us satisfied.

2) Lock your stuff up - there are no safes in these rooms. And hell, a safe wouldn't even make a difference because some articles of clothing were taken from the room (we believe by housekeeping) and you can't fit your suitcase in the safe.

3) Beware of hidden charges. After you complain about stolen items, the hotel still has the audacity to keep applying charges to your account. After we checked out, charges kept hitting our account. We still have yet to see written documentation of these charges. Apparently, the fax machine that we accept faxes on every day doesn't work for them.

The good things about this hotel:
1) Located in San Jose rather than Cabo San Lucas. San Jose is much more charming.
2) Located close to town and only a small number of blocks from the beach.
3) The restaurant which is owned independently of the hotel serves a wonderful breakfast at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed March 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kuala Belait, Brunei Darussalam
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2006

We enjoyed our time in Baja and especially San Jose del Cabo. The El Encanto Inn is located only a very short walk from many restaurants and shops in the center of the small town.
After making a reservation via their website we didn't receive a confirmation. Alarmed by some of the reviews we called and after two calls we received a confirmation.
Our room was ready upon arrival. We booked a small(-er) room located across the street from the main building where you find the suites, pool, garden and chapel. Ours was a simple but nice room. It could have been a bit cleaner.
The pool area is nicely landscaped, but the pool was very dirty and we didn't use it. Quite disappointing in such a warm place. A pool really makes my vacation complete.
The price was excellent for the room/service/location we got. Although don't count on breakfast (included in the price). 6 couples were politely fighting over 5 sweet rolls on the counter of the coffee bar. Juice was out and was never re-filled. I suggest to walk up the street and pick up your own sweet rolls at the bakery (very cheap).
We were told we could only pay in cash when checking out. This worried me b/c of the bad reviews and expected to get charged double (we had supplied our visa card when reserving the room). Nothing went wrong! We only paid once.
I would probably stay here again if we come back. We prefer not to stay at a huge resort and like the smaller places like El Encanto. We might consider spending more and stay at Casa Natalia, but flying in from Europe, diving and deep sea fishing make a stay in Baja expensive enough and El Encanto Inn helps keeping cost down a bit while getting a good comfortable stay.

• Stayed August 2005