“7 Seas Restaurant in Cabo Surf Hotel Is Memorable”
Review of Cabo Surf Hotel

Cabo Surf Hotel
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We were in Cabos, staying on the corridor in July of 2011. Our first time to Cabos. I read about the 7 Seas in a travel book and it was on our "to do" list. So glad it was.

We had a dinner reservation and when we pulled up to the security gate, they had our name and told us where to park. The grounds were nicely maintained and the hotel looked charming. There was a woman who came out to greet us and took us to the restaurant. The restaurant is set up so you are looking down at the beach and pool area. We had our choice of where WE wanted to sit...SO NICE. We were greeted in minutes and exchanged some friendly talk. We were asked if we wanted a wine list(we did). Napkins were laid on our laps. They brought over a purse stand for my Chanel handbag. My husband ordeded a bottle of red wine.

Our table looked out to the incredibly beautiful ocean. The restaurant is all open air and has a very, warm tropical feel to it. Hemp ropes with glass bottles hanging, some nice plants, etc. It was dusk, but there was still some people with their dogs walking the beach. Some had surfboards. Soft background music. Waiter brought our bottle of wine and it was fine. Gave us our menus and told us some specials. My husband got the snapper and I got the baja lobster. We each ordered salads and they were very large and VERY good. The service was impeccible...they worked in teams of 2. Everything was presented to us at exactly the same time...what a treat. Refilled our water glasses all evening long. Never rushed us. They were attentive to us, but never intruding. The food was hot and oh, so delicious. I have NEVER had better lobster. It was huge and seasoned to perfection. It came over mashed potates. My husband's fish came with rice and veggies. We were too full to order dessert. We were there almost 2 1/2 hours and the bill came to about $140.00US, including the tip. We walked away VERY pleased with the evening. They accept credit cards. Some patrons were dressed very nicely, others more casual. There is also a small bar. We came back later in the week to just have a cocktail & the waiter remembered us.

I HIGHLY recommend this restaurant to you. It was very special. We are going back to Cabos in March 2012 and we will go back. 5 Stars.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HawaiiKaiGail

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Cabo Surf Hotel is a gem, located on a beautiful secluded beach with what-I-am told is one of the best surf breaks in the area. The restaurant at the hotel (7 Seas) is first-class with great service. Breakfasts and lunches were excellent and they were happy to bring our meals to the beach when we asked. We had dinner at the hotel on the first night and it was also delicious. (We liked and finished every single item we ordered for the entire time except for the gazpacho which I suggest you avoid...) The room wasn't fancy but we had all five of us (kids ages 20, 18, and 13) in a family suite and it was great fun. It wasn't huge, but it was clean with a rain shower and a cool deck overlooking the beach. Room had small bar sink, microwave and a fridge. The surfing was really good and our trip revolved around the swell! Kids surfed every day and got to know and really like the instructors, all of whom were excellent. (Daniel and Luis were the favorites.) After surfing, they retreated to the hottub from where they could watch other surfers and just relax... It's a great set-up.

The hotel arranged transport to/from the airport through Incredible Locations for $80 for all of us round trip. The driver, Pedro, was waiting when we arrived and picked us up on time to go back at the end of the trip. Next time, I would ask the driver to stop briefly at the Mega after picking us up at the airport so that we could buy lots of waters and beers for the room...

We took cabs (which the front desk called for us and which arrived promptly) to dinner each night. Only issue here is that it's important to negotiate the rate prior to jumping into the cab. It was good to be able to drink at dinner and not have to worry about driving home...

The best endorsement that I have is that we're planning a return trip for spring break and we'll definitely go back to the Cabo Surf Hotel!

Room Tip: Make sure your room is not located near to the highway .
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Just outside San Jose del Cabo on the way to cabo is this quaint hotel overlooking the sea of Cortez. Ambience 1st class and the Seven Seas restaurant a must to enjoy for a romantic evening

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Great location and really nice staff. Small oceanfront pool. Loved sitting and watching surfers on a renowned surf beach. Took lesson with onsite surf school...Louis was a great teacher. Spa massage was the best ever. Restaurant meals were really good. We had room 18 which is a large oceanfront suite...only negative was that wifi doesn't reach room and right above gym. Other negative is that you can't walk anywhere...unless tide is really out far. There is no nightlife which realy wasnt our desire anyway. But a TV in the bar/lounge would be nice for sports. Also, Need taxis to get to any other restaurants...and they base fees on....who knows! $8 one time and $10 the next to get to San Jose del CABO. Same distance other way to las Ventanas was $20. Would definitely come back...great for 5 day trip to enjoy the ocean.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 10 September 2011

The hotel is beautifully kept, clean and serene with the added entertainment benefit of watching the surfers and locals with their doggies on the beach. The staff of the hotel, especially Jesus at the front desk, who helped us with our excursions and was very patient with me, were all great. Very eager to please and friendly. Housekeeping was excellent. The dining was superb, especially the smoky, tortilla soup, the appetizer sampler and the fish tacos for lunch...wish they were offered at dinner. The staff of the 7 Seas Restaurant provided excellent service. Travelled with my surfer husband and two daughters (7 and 11). My 11yo took a surfing lesson at the adjacent Mike Doyle Surf School with Hector and I felt she was in very capable hands and she had fun. Loved this place. We also went to Wild Canyon for ziplining and had a great time. Highly recommend Mariscos Matazlan in Cabo San Lucas for fish and Mi Casa in San Jose for Mexican. Great trip. Thanks to all!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Catherine S
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed here for 8 nights in August and decided to stay in a suit with jacuzzi. I would recommend to stick to a standard room as we didn't use the jacuzzi once, it's so hot outside that we just swam in the pool and had cool showers.

We stayed in room 23 which I definitely would not recommend, it was the noisiest hotel room I have ever stayed in. There is a 4 lane highway right behind the room and you could hear traffic all throughout the day and night. The air conditioning unit was also very noisy and we had to turn it off at night but then it got too hot and we had just had to deal with the noise. Our toilet made a high pitched whistling sound every time it was flushed that lasted for a minute or more, I asked for someone to look at it but no one ever did. The TV reception was very poor with the picture on some channels not even watchable, unfortunately it was the only English channels that were the poorest. There is a coffee machine and fridge in the room, even though they give you coffee there was no milk or sugar so we weren't able to make coffee for ourselves, there was also no mini bar and there were no shops within walking distance. The fridge also didn't keep anything cold so it wasn't worth getting our own supplies. The bed was also creaky and the sheets could do with replacing - overall the room was very dated.

The front desk staff wasn't particularly friendly or helpful, in fact we asked for a taxi to a restaurant one evening only to get there and find out that it was closed - I would have expected the staff to inform us of this.

The restaurant staff was very friendly and helpful at all times and the restaurant was of a good standard.

The location is fantastic if you surf like my husband but otherwise it's very secluded and cut off. It's not possible to walk anywhere and we had to book a taxi even if we just wanted to go 2 min down the road to a restaurant. I emailed the hotel before our stay asking whether we should hire a car and was told it's not necessary but I would most definitely recommend that you hire a car for the whole stay.

The pool area was very nice but seemed just about to cope with the hotel size at the moment and it looked like they were building a whole new section to the hotel. Personally I think this will mean the pool area will be much too small to cope with the capacity.

Finally, while we had a nice time, for this price range hotel you would expect a lot more and the overall experience was tainted by some of the issues above - mostly I would say the noise was the biggest damper of the whole stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Traveltink
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Just returned from an 8 day stay at the Cabo Surf Hotel with my wife and 2 kids (boy-14, Girl-12). We had high hopes going in, given all the reviews on T.A. - and we were NOT disappointed! Though certainly not inexpensive, we felt it was well worth the $$. We had a great view of a beautiful beach in a very well appointed and comfortable room. My son and I surf, so it was awesome to have a great surf spot right out front. My wife and daughter loved the pool setting as well, as they could watch us surf while enjoying the pool and hot tub. Because it is a small hotel, it was very mellow, and much different than all the mega resorts in Cabo and San Jose. As such, the staff got to know me by name, and often asked me how last night's dinner was (after giving me directions or making a reservation for us). Any request we ever had was fulfilled quickly and successfully. Our rooms were very comfortable and everthing worked great. The air conditioning went out once for about 2 hours max during our entire 8 day stay- it was then fixed, and never again a problem. We had 4 of us in a room, and all slept great!! The restaruant was good, but in the end, we enjoyed the other more local San Jose restaurants more. My only complaint was that at times the surf instructors at the surf school (located at the hotel but not directly affiliated with it), pushed their young students into waves that the rest of us were already riding. Guess that comes with the territory of a good/crowded surf break.
In summary, the whole vibe at this hotel is very layed back, but in a sophisticated and upscale way. Hard to understand how anyone couldn't like this place. We would love to stay at the Cabo Surf Hotel again, and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We thought the view from the mini-suites were weak and thus upgraded. Views from other less expensi...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family