“A Great Surf Vacation”
Review of Cabo Surf Hotel

Cabo Surf Hotel
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We spent 8 days here is September. It was relaxing and fun the entire time. The hotel is small and the public areas do not seem crowded. The grounds are meticulously kept and the staff is friendly and eager to help.

We had a garden room with a patio which was spacious and well maintained. The patio offered a nice view of sunrise every morning. You can hear traffic on the Highway, but it is not overly intrusive.

The restaurant has delicious food and we took at least one meal per day there. The prices were reasonable especially on drinks. Again the staff was friendly and very attentive.

We took surf lessons from the School at the hotel. The instructors were all very good and nice about letting you know the best time of the day to surf. The beach is nice and has lounges and umbrellas.

No need to rent a car, the public bus stops in front of the hotel so you can ride that into San Jose Del Cabo and do sightseeing or shopping. The cost was 20 Pesos each way. There are plenty of taxis in San Jose to bring you back for about 130 pesos.

We will definitely be back as this was one of our best vacations in Mexico.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are detached from the main hotel and seem a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ScottD80905

Reviewed 27 September 2013

After my husband and I got married we decided to take our friends and new family from New Zealand and the US down to Mexico. Jesus, the manager did his utmost to make our stay absolutely perfect. All the hotel staff were amazing! Spa was great, a massage is recommended. Rooms are clean, bathroom spacious and beds are very comfortable. The new rooms are gorgeous and have a stunning view of the surf break in front of the hotel. The food was excellent and if you are into Pina Coladas, they are to die for. The surf was not great while we were there but the guys at the surf shop were helpful. Bring booties, as it is a reef break and there are urchins. It is quiet in the evenings and very relaxing. It was very hard to leave Cabo and get back to reality...hopefully one day we will be able to head back there for another amazing holiday!

Room Tip: Make sure to get a room facing the ocean. The new rooms all do but there are some older ones that f...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Looking online, I was initially excited to see the selection of boards on offer, thus chose to leave my boards at home to avoid the airline fees. I filled out the online surfboard reservation form - and received no reply. I followed that with an email - again no reply. Upon arrival i discovered that 90% of the rental boards were completely beat up, particularly the short boards. I ended up renting a shortboard from elsewhere only to find that I couldn't bring that board to "their" beach. The surf was mellow so I said what the heck and went to rent a longboard from them. I wasn't allowed to pick the one I wanted because it wasn't waxed-up - and they had no wax. I asked why, maybe they don't send someone to the surfshop across the street which has tons of wax and they looked away from me. This said, the hotel is beautiful and perfectly located on one of the Costa Azul breaks "old mans'" however it is located directly on the highway. I would strongly suggest that anyone who calls them selves a Surf Hotel and caters to surfers spend $5 to have some wax on hand. Very good rating for property only; service was horrible.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
cabosurfhot, Manager at Cabo Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

We got 20 new surftech long boards on the 27th of August. We didn't order new short boards because they rarely rent since the surf spot favors 7 to 8 feet and up. A new order of boards will arrive early October and we will take out older ones. We ran out of wax for a day or 2.and we placed an urgent order which soon arrived. To ensure our guests privacy we placed a gate at the entrance as everyone tried to enter the beach through the hotel grounds. If you tried to access with your board to go surfing and were not a guest, the gatekeeper did his job. The beach is public and it has an access as he might have tried to explain. There was a confusion with emails since the surf shop website has been renewed and we thought the man in charge of renting the boards at the beach was getting them but we apologize as later we found out otherwise. All in all, we are very sorry we failed to properly be of good service. Upon reading your message I had a meeting with the staff involved with our rentals and steps were taken to avoid the issues from happening again. Thank you for your valuable feedback! When you come back to Cabo, please drop by, saludos!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This boutique hotel is just lovely. Small enough to be intimate. Set back in a land-cove so that you don't see the rest of the hotels and condos down the beach. You think you are practically alone...as long as you don't go out to the beach and look back. Beautiful pool, wonderful food, staff was more than helpful and considerate, great spa, lovely rooms. Would go back in a heartbeat. Was there for New Years and the hotel celebrated in great style. Jacuzzi was really nice. Pool was refreshing and so pretty. Many palm trees for shade. Surfing and water sports are available. One of the best hotels I have stayed at in Mexico.

Room Tip: All rooms have a ocean view. Downstairs rooms are more convenient.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Saracia
cabosurfhot, Manager at Cabo Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Thank you,! You captured the spirit of our resort, I will share with the staff. We will celebrate again this New Year's Eve and we hope to see you then or sooner, saludos!

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Absolute perfect location for a family vacation or even a weekend escape. Perfect little rolling waves out front and beautiful views from the entire property. Amenities are good and San Jose is just around the corner.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for visiting and enjoying with us the best Cabo has to offer, its ocean. Cheers!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

You never know what you're going to get when you head to Mexico. The pictures of the hotels/rooms could look beautiful and then when you get there you realize those pictures were probably taken 10 years ago and the wear and tear since has been more than heavy.

This was not the case with Cabo Surf Hotel. The hotel was beautiful. The rooms were very nice with a big balcony overlooking the ocean. The beds were very nice. Firm with a great comforter.

There's two little surf spots right in front of the hotel. One for beginners and one for more advanced surfers. We got decent waves but when this place gets big I'm sure it is amazing. We had fun regardless.

The grilled fish tacos and machaca breakfast burritos were perfect after nights of drinking and mornings of surf.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms were the nicest. You can watch the waves all day and relax on your balcony.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Even though the hotel has only 36 rooms, we run a continuous maintenance and landscaping program with the staff of 5. We found it useful to maintain the property top notch. I must agree on the best machaca burritos in Cabo! Thank you for your review!

Reviewed 17 August 2013

My 13 year old son and I just took a father son surf trip in July of 2013. On the trip we stayed at 4 very different places and enjoyed each one for a different reason. I had read about Cabo Surf Hotel and thought it would be a nice place to finish our trip before flying out of the Cabo airport and we weren't disappointed.
The thing I liked best was that it is located on top of a surf break called Old Man's. Everything about this hotel is pretty high end from the restaurant to the spa to the rooms themselves. While at the hotel I noticed a lot of families with kids old enough to enjoy surfing and other water activities.
This place reminded me a lot of some places I've stayed in Maui and would recommend it to anyone who wants a nice hotel with great ocean access. When you look at the location you could think the road is an issue but we stayed in a room very close to the road that was oriented toward the ocean and didn't feel the road at all.
A couple of my favorite memories are watching my son take surf lessons while I enjoyed cold beers in the hotel restaurant just above. The instructor did a great job of helping my son catch wave after wave. The access to surf boards and good instructors is better than anywhere I've ever stayed. Also the food in the restaurant was very good and my son had some of the best ribs I've ever tasted (see pictures).
If you're looking for a very nice hotel with easy access to the airport and Cabo that is oriented toward the ocean and in particular easy surf this is the place.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room close to the entrance off the highway which worked out fine but I would try to g...
Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

The beach house feeling of the hotel makes it memorable and most specially to families. We pride ourselves of constantly trying to improve our skills in the different services we offer. We thank you for your good commentary.