“First time to Cabo thoughts and things to do”

Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #4 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
New Jersey
“First time to Cabo thoughts and things to do”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

I thought I would give a review from a first timer perspective and throw in some highlights on things to do. This was the first trip for our family of four (two boys) to Cabo. We picked the Hilton as it had the best reviews and we were travelling on Hilton points. I did talk to a lot of friends who travelled to Cabo and liked it. First, on the hotel. Overall, we liked it. The room is a little tight for a family of four, but you are probably not going to spend too much time in the room. We got the car pick up through the hotel for $120. Basically, you are paying $80 for peace of mind. You did get hassled at the airport so it was great to see a sign with your name. I debated renting a car but got advice against it and was happy we used taxis the whole time. It worked out a little more, but was much easier. On a second trip, I would probably rent.
The hotel check-in was pretty blah, but service in the restaurants and at the pool was stellar. Room cleanliness could definitely have been better. The Hilton is right on the beach between Cabo and San Jose. There is nothing around it except other resorts, timeshares, and villas. I walked about 7 miles of beach and the Hilton is in one of the best spots as it has a little cove area that you can swim in all the time. That is main downside of the area is there are red flags for swimming most of the time. The only other spots we saw where you could easily swim were the resorts in Cabo and it was way too crowed for us. Hacienda is the one exception and that looked like an amazing property. At the pool, I would recommend splurging on a beach bed for one day – we got #3 and it had a great view of the ocean. The pools at Hilton are great, better than pretty much any other property I saw. I would recommend the property for families and couples. It is definitely not a party hotel.
For restaurants, we mostly ate at the Hilton. We did not eat at the Italian restaurant, but all the others and they were surprisingly great. Continental breakfast came with my package, which was fine. We went into San Jose del Cabo for a day (worth it but a day was enough) and ate at Voila Bistro, which was amazing! The lobster tacos and steak were awesome. We went into Cabo twice and ate at Hacienda on the beach (best restaurant we went too and a view of Land’s End – they also cooked our Rooster fish to perfection) and Mariscos Mazatlan (they cooked fish we caught 3 ways – all incredible) – it is a little more of a local place but I highly recommend and it was definitely the most affordable meal we had.
For things to do, the highlight was two days fishing with Sushi Time Sport Fishing and chartering a boat. In general, we love to get a boat and go fishing as you end off doing a lot of sight-seeing with a long-time local. And getting a boat for four people is usually about the same as going on a group tour. Juan is the owner and I can’t tell you how helpful he and his captains were in Cabo. Fishing in April is normally slow, but we went all over the coast and ended off with Tuna, Mackeral, Trigger, and Rooster fish. We also saw six Marlin, but they weren’t biting for us. Juan hooked us up with his friend’s fillet business (Tailz End) and they did a great job preparing the fish. They even gave us some smoked marlin, which was phenomenal. We got to see Land’s End and a good part of the coast. We also got 50 feet away from three Humpback whales and my son fed a sea lion right next to the boat. Juan was super helpful and actually drove us over to Mariscos and instructed them on how to prepare the fish – I have never seen my kids eat Ceviche or so much seafood. Thank you Juan!
The main downside of Cabo is you get hassled a lot by people trying to sell you everything. Our standard responses were “no thank you” or “we just came back from that”. The other annoying thing about the area is you have to negotiate every cab ride. At the end, I just told them what I would pay and that seemed to work.
We also went snorkeling on Chileno beach which was pretty cool. It was a local beach and we took a taxi. I would recommend a rent a car as walking back took two hours, but it was a nice tour.
We didn’t rent a dune buggy and that is something I regret not doing.

Room Tip: This hotel is a good deal close to $300 per night and not a good deal close to $500 (you can get nic...
9 Thank mcacadian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (872)
Delafield, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Loved this place. Way exceeded expectations. From the margarita at check in to the very friendly and helpful staff, everything was just awesome. I am used to thinking of hotel restaurants as adequate in case I or the kids are too tired/lazy to go out for a meal, but assume there are always better options. While I had many great meals off premise on this trip, I have to say the restaurants on premise are really top notch and are waaaaay above my expectations. The fish tacos and archerreta tacos make for a killer poolside lunch, and the shrimp burritos in the Vista Grille were another favorite. Great location, great views, great room, great great staff.

1 Thank YardDonkey
Tim B, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for the kind review! We make it our goal to exceed the expectations of our guests, and we are happy that you took notice of this. We are happy to provide our guests with a delightful dining experience, because we know that it saves them the stress and time trying to find other options. With our wide variety of on-site restaurants, we know that the tastes of almost anybody can be satisfied. That you again for the review, and we hope to create another wonderful vacation experience for you again soon.
Jefferson, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

This resort is beautiful as are the views! The pools are especially nice, and they are well maintained. With the exception of El Meson, my husband and I also had great dining experiences. On the morning of April 21, 2014, we were seated in Hector's section, and I had to ask for my breakfast twice after I placed my order. (My husband got his meal from the breakfast bar.) After my meal was finally delivered, I had to ask twice for toast. Not once was my coffee or my huband's coffee refilled. I complained about the service, and Luis, a manager, comped our meals and gave my husband a free breakfast the following morning. From that point on, we received excellent service. Because the problem was addressed, I gave this resort a "very good" rating. If the issue with service had not occurred, I would have given it an "excellent" rating.

Travelers might want to be aware that the Hilton idoes not provide shuttle service to and from the airport.

1 Thank Thomas_HJefferson_NC
Thank you for taking the time to review. We are again apologetic about your breakfast experience and we appreciate that you brought the matter to our attention so that we could make the necessary corrections. We are happy that the rest of your vacation met your expectations and we look forward to seeing you again to turn that “very good” rating into an “excellent” one! Thank you again for leaving a review.
Los Angeles, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Excellent Family Hotel...great value for your money...highly recommended...not for the discerning high dollar vacationer wanting las ventanas or esperanza but if you are travelling with your family and looking for an affordable high quality hotel with great amenities, nice rooms on a great stretch of beach and great service I highly recommend.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Tim B, General Manager at Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thanks for taking the time to leave a review! We enjoy hosting varied activities so that everyone in the family is entertained during your vacation. We will treat you with the same great service upon your return visit to our resort.
Folsom, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Loved staying here, can't wait to go back. We had such a fun and relaxing vacation!
When our shuttle from the airport pulled up, the bellhop asked for our last name, handed us a margarita, took our luggage and immediately walked us to our room…amazing service from the start, we were so impressed!

Our room was on the 5th floor, excellent view. I loved the decor and the size of the room. Loved the tile floors (instead of carpet). We were celebrating my birthday and the room was decorated with balloons, chocolate cake and happy birthday was written on the bed with beans…I felt totally spoiled!

The infinity pool area is so beautiful and we loved hanging out there meeting new people, drinking, eating and relaxing. The service was really amazing. A huge thank you to Hernon, he is great and a very hard worker.

The guests that come here will greatly depend on the time of year. There were a lot of families the week we were there. I was kinda surprised but quickly realized it was the week before Easter so it was Spring Break for some. There were no conventions going on when we were there.
My husband and I both thought the staff is what made our stay so great. They are very hard working, very helpful and just genuinely seem happy to work there.

I visited the spa. It was heavenly very peaceful, clean and relaxing. I had the Nausicca treatment which is basically a body scub. I thought the prices were very reasonable similar to what I pay where I live.

We really loved the food here. I was actually surprised just how delicious it was. Yes, it’s pricy but not outrageous. It was what I had planned for and expected. The only restaurant we did not care for was the Mexican restaurant (go figure!). We ate dinner with 2 other couples and we all thought the food tasted bland and the service was not that great either the particular night we were there. 3 of us had the tequila shrimp with red sauce and it was very bland and boring.
Breakfast is served on the 2nd level (at the Mexican restaurant) and my husband and I both loved it. My husband would get the buffet every morning and said it was his favorite meal of the day. We would get there when they started serving at 7am so we could sip our coffee and watch the sunrise….awwwww.

As far as the location of this hotel, it is remote. 20 minutes either way will get you to the next town (we recommend taking the shuttle to get to either town- $2 each way). If you are looking for night life and like to stay out late and party this is definitely not the hotel for you. We specifically wanted a low key vacation with lots of rest and relaxation so the remote location was not an issue for us. There was plenty of a variety of food choices for the week.

The beach here is beautiful and this resort does an excellent job keeping it clean and combed. The waves were big when we were there and it looked really rough. Not really great for swimming (the red flag was up) but people were swimming out in it. There are plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas for shade on the beach.

Other nice features about this resort we loved: the business center, the deli, the ice cream/candy room by the pool, excellent fitness center, turn down service at night, the 3rd level bar with several TVs to watch sports.
Tips!
- The sun sets behind the hotel so the sunsets are not that impressive. Set your alarm early and go watch the sun rise out at the Dolphin pool. You won’t regret it. It’s such a beautiful peaceful time of day.
- You will also need to set your alarm for 5:45am if you want to snag a spot around the pool. Security will let you hold your spot for 2 hrs. Security will also set up an umbrella for you if you need shade.
- Bring lots of $1’s for tipping especially if you go into town.
- On your way to the hotel from the airport stop at Mega (it's like Walmart) for waters, beer, alcohol, snacks, pool toys etc. You will save $$.
- Housekeeping will bring you a mini fridge if you ask.
- Happy Hour on the 3rd level is from 5-6 :-)
- Arrange for your airport transportation to and from the hotel before you arrive. It will save you confusion, time and stress!
- We booked our airport transportation and excursions through cabosanlucastours.net. I would highly recommend them. Very easy to book online. Some activities fill up fast so book a few weeks before you go. Zip lining at Wild Canyon is only about 20 min from the hotel.
- We discovered souvenirs at the airport were really inexpensive.
- If you go to Cabo San Lucas or San Jose take the shuttle (pick it up on the main road). It’s only $2 per person.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Higher up for better views. It looked like if you were on the 3rd level your view would be blocked...
10 Thank butieraj
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed on The Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort for part of our honeymoon. when you drive into the resort it has a very grand feel, and the lobby of the hotel is open and clean. We were greeted with a margarita and the staff was extremely attentive. It was a fantastic stay. Pool was nice and all of the facilities are nice. The spa was amazing. The staff was great and very accommodating.
Although our stay there was great it has much more of a family feel than a romantic one. There were a lot of kids there and therefore it felt like a family vacation spot.

The resort itself was beautiful and the view of the ocean was fantastic.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Congratulations on your wedding! We feel very delighted to have been a part of your honeymoon celebrations. We enjoy greeting our guests with a taste of the service they are about to experience for their entire stay, which is why we have margaritas on hand upon check-in. We are happy to know that this was not lost on you. We cannot wait to continue to provide excellent service for you during your next visit.
FREDERICK, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great Hotel, Great service, Very Clean. It is a ways from San Jose and Cabo San Lucas, unless you want to spend 450 plus for cabs each time I suggest renting a car. Hilton has National on site. Breakfast buffet was wonderful. Great beaches, beware of the Jet Ski guys, they are a bunch of shisters, its a time share trap, you go to rent a ski and they want to get you into a time share.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! We are glad to see that you enjoyed your time with us. Our breakfast buffet is one of our favorite services too. Our location is ideal for guests to be able to get away from it all, which is why we inhabit a somewhat more private area. Thank you for reviewing and we are ready to cater to your needs on your next trip.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
ME Cabo
ME Cabo
#13 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#9 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,635 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,985 reviews
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort? Share your experiences!