“Really nice hotel, serviceable employees and relaxing atmosphere!”

Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Ranked #14 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
El Centro, California
“Really nice hotel, serviceable employees and relaxing atmosphere!”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

This was our first vacations to Cabo, so I don't have any other hotel at Cabo to compare against.
But we picked a really nice hotel (all inclusive).
The room was nice, employees were very serviceable, hotel was clean, infinity pool was warm, which was great to take my daughter in, because the weather was a little cold.
Since it's an all-inclusive hotel, you can take drinks and food at anytime.
It was 3 restaurants a la carte where you have to make reservation in the morning.

The only thing "not-so-good" I can say is when we went to the Mexican restaurant, the meal portions were small,,,,and we were HUNGRY,,,, so we ended up having dinner after the restaurant.

The italian restaurant they have had nice meal portions.

Also the beach at this location is usually in Red or Black flag, so you may not be able to get into the sea.

3 Thank AlexDeux

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
Victoria BC
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Just got back from the Barcelo Grand Faro. We really enjoyed it. Don't listen to negative comments. It's super clean, nice buffet, Italian restaurant had nice food. Loved that they had a drss code for the nice restaurants. We didn't care for the Mexican but others who stayed there liked it. This hotels is geared for couples and families. It wasn't that busy and could always find a pool chair. The staff are fantastice. Great bartenders and waiters. The beach location is spectacular. The town of San Jose del Cabos is walking distance to downtown. Fantastic art district and cute shops. The marina is amazing. Nice hotels at that end as well. My only negative is that is was a bit too quiet at times. The entertainment ends at 10pm and the hotel is very quiet. We didn't. Mind that. We did a pub crawl into Cabos one night. That was busy but was cool to see Cabos San Lucas which is about 40 mins away. You can also catch the city bus there which is about 3 dollars per person. We did a few tours. Todos santos was another cool little town we went to. Overall we thought it was a great hotel. Lots of Canadians, a few Americans and some locals. We made friends which was cool. Pools are clean and nice, they can be cold at times.

Room Tip: Ocean view, quiet side. The other side is doing construction.
4 Thank Jinxx21
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Overall, we were very happy with our stay at this resort. A few highlights:
- Despite our oe hour checkin on arrival, Gabriella the next day provided superior service accomodating our request to stay close to our family. To management: You should consider adding staff when you know a large bus, (ie. Air Canada Vacations) is bringing a large number of guests at the same time. It really sets the tone for the facility especially if guests have travelled long hours with young ones to stay at your resort)
- The facilty was clean, well maintaned and in great condition. Our room was adequately spacious, despite what seemed to be the smallest double beds know to man (only an issue to those travelling with family)
- The chefs at the beach resturant did an amazing job of providing fresh, diverse and delicious food options at lunch and breakfast. (thanks chef for adding the grilled shrimp to the lunch on that one day) Kudos to that team.
- The buffet dinners however, although similar food was provided was not to the same standards. Average fish, meats.
- Service throughout the facitlity was very good. Pleasant staff willing to accomodate. Jasimine in the Kid Club was particularly wonderful with our 5 year old daugher Katie and her 7 year old cousin Charlie. She was delightful and an asset to the resort.
- To Management: How could you justify the cold temperature of main pool and sports pool? It was obvious throughout the week there was maybe only one person ever in the pool. It took a few days to heat the infinity pool which the majority of people frequented. How would you feel if you came to ski resort with your family to go skiing and the resort decided not to groom the ski hills? Of course you could ski but not pleasantly. And it's not like we had the ocean to swim in either.
- The resort size was perfect for a small family as there was not too much distance between all the ammenities.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be good
4 Thank xtina791
Ellensburg, Washington
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and two boys (5&7 years old) vacationed at the Grand Faro last February (I know, I should of wrote this 9 months ago lol) and had a blast!! The value of this resort is amazing!! We have stayed at Rui Sante Fe and Dreams in Cabo and for the money this resort is my favorite!! We loved it so much we're going again in January and bringing friends!!!

The pictures are very true to what this resort is, it's not the most luxurious resort I've stayed but it's very nice!! It has breathtaking views and a great laid back friendly atmosphere.

FOOD: Overall I thought the food was pretty darn good. The breakfasts are AMAZING!!! Made to order omelettes, french toast, waffles, fruit, bacon, sausage, hash browns, several mexican buffet selections. Lunch was great as well. They had wonderful salads, ceviche, fish, pasta, etc... always a great variety. Dinner was good, not as good as the breakfast and lunch. When we ate at the specialty restaurants the food was very good. We didn't care for the dinner buffets. Although we never went hungry!! My kids especially love the snack bar, who am I kidding my husband and I loved it too!! I never tired of the food. The cheese and salad dressings tastes as they should. We have stayed at other Mexican resorts and the food tasted "off", especially the cheese. It was wonderful here!! My kids loved all the food too. We would of loved to see more shrimp and prawns, hint hint, I'll be back in January ;)!!

DRINKS: From alcoholic to non-alcoholic (for the kids) the drinks were very good!! They have a very large assortment of blended drinks, beer was good!! They have top shelf liquor (different kinds depending on the bar you're in), but if you are a whiskey drinker you better bring it with you!! The water that they serve is good to drink but don't drink out of the faucet, you're in Mexico ;) I am really looking forward to the mini bar in the room this coming trip!!

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT: I can't tell you how great the activities crew were, SOOOO FUNNN!! I enjoyed beach volleyball everyday at 11am, bingo, horseshoe tournaments, pool side games, and tequila volleyball are just a few. There wasn't much of a kids club. They did have sand toys and floaties for the kids which was great but not much to speak of as far as kids activities. But that was great with us, we went on vacation with our kids to be with them. And they had a great time swimming, playing in the sand, just being kids. They had an awesome beach party one night that the kids roasted marshmallows and enjoyed the entertainment.

BEACH: The beach was incredible!! Wayyy better than the beaches closer to downtown Cabo. We had a blast playing and jumping the waves. We didn't swim in the ocean but we played in the waves fore hours on multiple days!! This beach is absolutely beautiful, and perfect for walking, running, beach volleyball, sandcastles, etc... The beached closer to Cabo are not like this, they are steep and the sand is not as soft. We also saw whales on about 10 different occasions, sooo fun!!

ROOM: If you are traveling with your kids, get the junior suite!!! Our kids had their own room, which means we had privacy!! It was so worth the upgrade! The view was fantastic. I recommend a pool side room, ocean front. The housekeeping was exceptional. So, my oldest son got sick (vomited all over their room, it was bad). Without any cleaning products I was forced to ask our sweet housekeeper to clean up the mess. She did it with a smile, I tipped her a 20. We think he got sick from the hot cocoa, just an fyi. He wasn't feeling well for about 4 hours and then was back to normal. Give your kids pepto every morning, you are eating food from another country that your body isn't used to. My husband and I also took pepto and acidophilus morning and night. Don't be scared, this could happen at any resort or in the states. We heard of no one else being sick the entire time we we there.

POOLS: They have 2 heated pools, the infinity pool and the activites pool. We hung out at the activities pool every day!! The infinity pool was wonderful but we felt like it was more for adults, it was very tranquil :) The largest pool was cold!! BARCELO, HEAT THE BIG POOL PRETTY PLEASE!!! The large pool is the only pool with the swim up bar and no one was in that pool or at the swim up bar. My family dared me to jump in, I did and ordered a drink from the swim up bar and immediately got out.

CONS: The front desk staff was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!! Only complaint, once we got past those very unhappy people that should not be in the hospitality industry the service and everyone we came into contact with was wonderful!

We are very excited to return and look forward to seeing the improvements that Barcelo is making!!!! CHEERS!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank melnjake
Edmonton Alberta
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We just returned from our 8th visit to this hotel. During our 2 week stay the hotel once again changed hands. After the first couple of days the hotel was bustling with men with suits and clipboards taking notes all over the resort. Well as it turned out the Hola Grand Faro was becoming the Barceló Grand Faro right before our eyes. It appears that the old Barceló across from Mega has become a Hyatt hotel.
All was not well during the transition....lack of staff in restaurants & lounges, less food at the buffets and not as much variety. We feared that this would be our last visit to our beloved resort. But a couple of days after the take over things began to improve in all areas ie: food at the buffets had more variety, staff was notably increased in all restaurants and bars, beer was now being stocked in the rooms and many new, very experienced and professional wait staff were attending to patrons in the restaurants. As our holiday progressed we noticed many minor changes and repairs being effected around the resort.
By the end of the vacation we were all praising the new Barceló.
For those who have not stayed at this resort here's a few highlights of the Barceló.
- Situated directly on the beach.
- Breakfasts & lunches are served at Las Olas restaurant. A beautiful open air venue overlooking the beach. Omelettes and eggs made to order, fresh made pancakes and waffles, huge selection of fresh fruit and vegatables and many other hot entrees are offered.
- Rooms are quite spacious with tiled floors, walk in showers, large balconies, flat screen TV, safes, and are clean and nicely decorated.
- The grounds at the resort are nothing less than gorgeous with an abundance of different palm and mango trees, buganvaillias, and hundreds species of flora and fauna.
- Restaurants are limited at this resort. There are 2 a la carte restaurants which alternate nightly. The food and atmosphere is upscale. Personally I prefer the buffet. Each night has a different theme with something for everyone. Lots of fish (Sea Bass & Mahi Mahi), with usually at least 2 meat entrees. Some nights prime rib roasts, rib steaks, pork tenderloin etc.
- Pools are very popular at the resort with a kids pool, huge pool for families with plenty of lounge chairs, an activity pool, 2 hot tubs (one adult only) and the very popular infinity pool overlooking the Sea of Cortez.
- Entertainment is offered nightly and is usually a hit and miss. The hits are the Sunday night beach party and the Mexican Fiesta night usually Fridays. Other nights are movie trivia, international shows etc. For the party crowd you probably want to go elsewhere. The lobby bar closes at 11:00 PM and the Sky Bar at midnight.
- Sky Bar included your hotel stay offers breathtaking 360 views of the Sea of Cortez, San Jose and surrounding area.
- San Jose is a quaint little town. About a 25 minute walk or a $7 cab ride. Lots of interesting shops, bars, restaurants and local heritage sites.
- Shopping. About a 10 minute walk is the Mega store which sells everything from clothing to groceries to Xmas trees. The mall has a MacDonalds, & Starbucks both with free WiFi. There are various other shops and fast food restaurants here.
-Cabo San Lucas is about 21 miles from the resort. About $40? cab ride or for 27 pesos you can take the local bus across from Mega. Lots of shopping, tours, sightseeing, restaurants, and bars

Dear Barceló I hope you will accept a couple of recommendations as follows.
- The $7.00 room service charge is unacceptable as this is an all inclusive resort.
- The "Only Adults" hot tub should only be for adults. Too many young children in the pool with seemingly no policing.
- WiFi price of $15 USD per day is ridiculous. Many resorts in the area offer free WiFi of some sort. At least offer free WiFi in the lobby!
- The Sky Bar should open to hotel patrons at least a half hour prior to sunset daily. The current opening time of 6:00 does not allow your patrons to experience the beautiful sunsets in San Jose.
- Liquor. During our stay on one night the entire hotel ran out of all types of Vodka!! I couldn't believe this could happen in a resort of this size or caliber. Another evening the lobby bar ran out of Captain Morgans rum also. Thanks to our waiter he ran to the a la carte restaurant and retrieved some for our party. If you run out of something have a staff member run down to Mega and pick some up!! Happy customers equal repeat customers.
- Las Olas is a great place to enjoy breakfast but on several days the wait line for made-to-order eggs was lengthy. By the time I received my huveos and returned to my table my wife had already finished her breakfast. The pancake/waffle station should jump in and help with the eggs when there are line ups. Usually that person has little to do.
- Pelicanos restaurant. Please bring back the candles to the tables. A very inexpensive item to enhance your patrons experience. Nothing like a candlelight dinner under the stars.
- Umbrellas are in very short supply at all pools. May I suggest to make a small investment in some extra umbrellas.
- Dress Code. If you claim to have a dress code in the restaurants please enforce it. Shorts, flip flops, beach wear etc in any restaurants in the evenings should not be tolerated.

Having said this we love this resort. It has everything we want for a great holiday. The people are great! Thanks for your very good service Guillermo, Felix, Alex, Nadia, Enrique, Francisco, Jesus and all the other great staff.
Hopefully when we return in January it will feel like coming home!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are awesome!!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank Radar911
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We just returned from a week long stay at the Grand Faro Los Cabos. There were 10 of us ranging in age from 9 to 71. It was one of our best family vacations ever! The staff are all so very friendly and especially the activities staff, Jasmine and Fernando. They made our children feel so special calling them by name over the loud speakers to participate in the various activities that go on throughout the day. There was always plenty to do from beach and water volleyball to yoga on the beach and even bingo. Each night the hotel has a different activity. The beach party is really fun with excellent live music. There was an international dance show that was really impressive and a fiesta one night. Food is excellent and drinks are always included. We loved our stay and would highly recommend the Grand Faro.

3 Thank KimiMeyers
Laguna Hills, California, United States
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here in Aug., 2013. We were so impressed we have booked our daughter's wedding in April. We thought the food was incredible, especially in the two specialty restaurants. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly, and never any shortage of drinks (we tipped an average of $1 per drink.). The setting, grounds, pools, and common areas were all gorgeous. The little town of San Jose is very quaint with lots of hospitality. The room was o.k., and bed not so comfy. However, I've been informed they're going through a renovation and one recent review said one tower was closed for reno's, so hoping that will improve by our stay. The wedding coordinator said construction will be done by Feb. Apart from the rooms being slightly shabby (which sounds like it's improving,) I'd definitely recommend this resort!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Posada Real Los Cabos
Posada Real Los Cabos
#22 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
#20 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Hotel Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
#32 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas

Been to Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!