“A Wonderful Trip!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Calgary
“A Wonderful Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My daughter and I booked a last minute trip to Cabo. I had been the year before with my husband and friends to a different hotel but this was their first trip to Cabo. They are 18 and 19 years old. The hotel was wonderful. The rooms were modern and clean, though a shortage of towels, but they brought towels when we called. The food was very good with breakfast and lunch being our favorite meals. Drinks were a plenty! The pools and over all grounds are just beautiful. Very little night entertainment but that was ok. They do have a sky bar but the was a horrible sulphur smell that was coming from there so we walked in and had a drink and walked out. The hotel did close it shortly aftet that for repairs. The ala cartes were very good. I was even sung Happy Birthday to at the Italian restaurant on my birthday. They offer room service and the sandwiches, burgers, and cakes were delicious. The staff are super friendly and accomodating. The staff tries to get everyone involved in the daily activities but aren't pushy like at some hotels. The hotel is close enough to walk to the vendors and to walk to the Mega. Overall we loved it, a great hotel, felt super safe, will definitely return!!! Well worth the money - and it was 30 plus celcius every single day with no rain. You can't ask for more!

Room Tip: We had a first floor room which I normally don't like but the rooms must have good insualtion as...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank CrownJewels
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Dear Blondiegm,

We appreciate you took the time to share such a wonderful review with us following your last stay at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos.

Every time we read this kind of comments, we do feel proud of all our staff and make us feel good because of our guest´s satisfaction.

Thank you for choosing Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos to celebrate such a great celebration how your birthday is, it is great to hear you had a ball.

Meredith López

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (694)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the old Barcelo 2 years ago to date, and loved every minute. That is the most positive offering I have for this "resort" now. We arrived on Sunday, June 22 with our 15 and 11 year old, and we're joined by our best friends a couple days later. Day 1: premium club is a joke- means nothing here. The food in the "premium club" room is a joke- old, hard, 2 star would be a lie. Gross. We were supposed to have unlimited ala carte restaurants at whichever one happened to be open each day. We were told there were no reservations available, and we're stuck with either the buffet, or the very limited room service menu, which takes a minimum of 90 minutes to be delivered. We didn't even have a menu in room, asked for one to be delivered, and still never received it. Had to take it out of the room our children were in. Inconsistencies everywhere, and an absurd lack of anyone caring about customer service. Monday, Day 2: after the buffet for breakfast, I got some sort of gastrointestinal sickness and am still dealing with it on Thursday morning as I write this. I spoke to another Mom who said her entire family of 4 has been dealing with the same, and has spoken to 3 other people who were as well. The gift shop is cleared out of pepto and all similar medicines- bad sign. For lunch the only options are again, the crummy, tiny premium club bites (which laughably and ridiculously you are not allowed to take your good or a glass out of this "convenience room for premium guests"), room service with a few options and extensive wait, or the fatty, AMPM/711 style nacho cheese buffet. Come dinner time, once again- no room available at the ala carte restaurants, despite trying to make a reservation at noon for dinner. The most ridiculous part is when I asked to avoid this issue for future nights, can I make a reservation for the next night NOW, I'm told no. You must make reservations the same day. Exceptionally poor customer service repeatedly, in every opportunity Barcelo is given. We leave tomorrow and I am sickened to say I can't wait to get home. I feel sick about the money we paid this place and these customer service virgins. Everything you ask for, you are made to feel as though you are meant to beg, or that the staff is doing you a huge favor for your inconvenience. Case and point, our table at the Italian ala carte restaurant we FINALLY got a reservation for last night, the first despite being promised "unlimited". We showed up promptly at our scheduled time, and the little girl with a misplaced sense of importance and snootiness said despite having the reservation for 6 people, they could only seat is as a group of 2 and 4 separately. I'd had it, and said, "no thanks, we'll take our reservation for 6 together now, gracias. ". She then waved her arm at the door and I took that as an invitation to enter the restaurant, where a gentleman sat us- at one of the clearly wide open available tables for 6 people. Ridiculous, insulting, and infuriating. She handed us our napkins and I said thank you for seating us. She said, "sorry about that, I didn't know if we had anything available". I said, would looking be too hard? No response, I didn't care, clearly. I'm not even going to site the numerous additional customer service failures, as I'm going to go the bathroom again and try to put on a happy face for my family. I will, however, go out of my way to post pictures and reviews of everywhere I know is relevant to help future travelers like my family and friends avoid this failure of a "resort" entirely. 2 stars is fair, 3 stars is a massive stretch. Pathetic. Lastly- please spare me the recycled, regurgitated, and hollow apology posted after every review. It's infuriating, insulting, and another terrific example of what garbage customer service you can expect from Barcelo.

• Stayed June 2014
12 Thank Diana T
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Diana,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of your experience. Your comments are extremely valuable as they help us monitor our operations. I will personally follow up and make sure that the following training sessions for our staff are focused on your comments in order to prevent the said situations from happening again to our future guests.

The experience you describe is certainly not typical of the level of quality we must deliver to our guests. We truly regret that we failed your expectations. By copy of this letter to our department heads I am requesting all issues be reviewed; however, explanations after the facts are unacceptable and our main concern at this point is that you did not receive the service you deserve and have every right to expect from our Resort.

Please accept our most sincere apologies and we all look forward to having the opportunity to better serve you during your next visit to Cabos.

Best regards,
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed in mid June 2014. I spent a lot of time reading reviews on multiple hotels and narrowed it down to here and another one. Took a hard look at all reviews, and after staying there still cannot figure out how there are negative reviews after my experience here.

We stayed here for our honeymoon, and the hotel was great. Got a Junior Suite Ocean front View, and the room was a little smaller than what I thought, but was still wonderful.

A lot of people said you can't swim in the ocean here. My understanding is that you cannot swim in the ocean due to the hotel not actually owning the whole ocean front and is the Country's owned property. So it is more swim at your own risk. Yes, the tide is quite strong, but I did end up swimming in the ocean quite a ways, and it was great! The waves are harsh but very swimmable indeed.

The pools were wonderful as well with a swim up bar, (2) main pools, infinity pool near the beach, and a small adult only pool as well. The bartender at the swim up pool was beyond awesome, and just amazing. He would do tricks with the bottles and help you in any way he could.

The service was outstanding in the premiere lounge. They would help with anything that they could and go out of their way to make sure your stay was perfect. It was very helpful.

Like any place you stay things do go wrong, the air conditioning went out a few times, the key stopped working at one point, had to wait a little longer than what we wanted for the shuttle to go to the airport. But, as soon as I would ask anybody to help, they had the air turned on/repaired within 10min or less, key fixed, and answered any and all questions I had.

One thing I would say is contact the hotel directly for transportation to/from the airport. I believe it was $30/per person for group shuttle and one way ended up being private anyway. Incredibly stress free going that way.

Fantastic time, fantastic employees, and had a wonderful time. Always a safe bet staying at a Barcelo chain resort, never once had a bad experience at any location.

Room Tip: - Make reservations for dinner as early as possible the morning of. - If getting ocean front view...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Devin D
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Devin D,

We appreciate you took the time to share with us a review following your last stay at Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos.

We are glad to know even though you read this negative reviews you gave us the opportunity to show you how we make our best to exceed our guest expectations.

We are pleased to read you spent your honeymoon at our resort and that you enjoyed our Club Premium services.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 5 nights and 6 days. The resort itself is beautiful. Every room in the resort is designed to have an ocean view. We upgraded to the premium which we thought was completely worth it since it allows for free room service, a VIP lounge, a late check out among other perks. The food was great! I preferred the buffets over the restaurants. It has 3 pools, we enjoyed all three since they all had their own unique personality. The larger pool has the swim up bar, we spend a lot time there, the pool next to it hosts all the activities (volleyball) etc. Then there is the infinity pool which is fabulous, quiet and serene. I enjoyed swimming there at night.

The pros: the food, the service, the premium package, the grounds, our room, the sushi bar was fabulous, the sky bar provided excellent views and awesome music. We went up there almost every night.

Cons: the drinks are very weak, watered down. The main bartender at the swim up bar was always grumpy. The beach is not swim able, you need to take a cab to another beach in order to swim in the ocean. Not much of a nightlife. You need to go into town to party or dance.

I wanted to mention some of the staff that stood out to me and made our stay wonderful.

Vianey worked by the pool and delivered drinks. She was so attentive, friendly and kind. Although she had many drinks to deliver, she was always on top of our things. She was truly remarkable.

Jazmin took us on a bike tour around the town, she was informative and friendly. She gave us all the time we wanted to shop around the town, she was awesome.

Jesus Jimenez was always in the front getting cabs and bags. He was always so accommodating and friendly. He provided so much attention to our needs.

Lastly, Francisco was in charge of the activities and was friendly and kind. We appreciated him because he would answer all of our questions about going into town and things to do around the area. He always came up to us and encouraged us to join the activities. My boyfriend had an awesome time playing games because of him.

Barcelo, you have an awesome staff! Gente muy amigable!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lilyflowe,

Thank you for choosing Barcelo Grand Faro Los Cabos at your last vacations, we are glad to hear we were able to exceed your expectations and you and your boyfriend had a wonderful time at our resort.

It is great to hear you enjoyed our Club Premium services and the benefits you get with. Please rest assured that all your comments both positive and negative will be addressed and that we will share your review with all the staff you kindly took the time to mention.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

We had repeated problems with our room. First, it was not ready when we arrived - after the 3:00pm check in time. Next they gave us a room number that did not exist and we had to go back to the front of the hotel to sort that out. Next they changed the room numbers on the doors while we were at dinner and our key no longer worked in our room. It worked in the room next door but not in our room. That took over an hour to fix. Finally, the hotel and called to tell us that they were working on the plumbing and electrical on our floor and we had to change rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

3 Thank X4563XAJohn
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear X4563XAJo,

We appreciate you took the time to share with us your feedback following your last stay at Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos.

We are very sorry to hear you had this inconveniences with your room. Please rest assured that your comments will be adressed in order to avoid this kind of situations and improve our services.

We hope you give us the opportunity to change this poor impression you have from us.

Best regards,
West Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Visited this resort in October for my cousin's wedding. This resort has nice clean rooms and great food! Staff was also very welcoming and attentive. Please note that the beach is not for swimming. The waves are way too strong. However they have a very nice infinity pool. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear SendiGB,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments following your last stay at our resort.

We are pleased to read you enjoyed your vacations at our resort and to hear we were able to make your days in cabo a memorable experience.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you again in the near feature.

Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have stayed at this property more than a dozen times, since it was a Crown Plaza, then Hola and now Barceló. It offers a good value and has some really great staff that make all the difference (the staff is the reason we keep coming back). We arrived this week to find that Irene who has handled the pool food service Las Islas for years, has been moved into the kitchen supporting the specialty dining areas. This is really sad, as she does such a great job with our kids and all the guests and really provides great service and food at the pool with a great attitude and a smile. Not too happy with this change and the results... PLEASE bring her back!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear J0E147,

Thank you for your preference and for coming back again, we really appreciate your loyalty to this property.

We are pleased to hear you are still having a great time at our resort and to know you noticed the kindness of our staff. Please rest assured that will share your comment about Irene with our food and beverage manager.

We hope to see you soon, you always will be more than welcome.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Royal Solaris Los Cabos
#19 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,250 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#17 of 40 in San Jose del Cabo
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,146 reviews
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#36 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 7,471 reviews

Been to Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos? Share your experiences!