“My Get Away with My Son”

Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 4 September 2014

This was the first time we visited this resort as when me and my husband have traveled to Los Cabos Mexico in the past we usually stay at a resort closer to Cabo St Lucas. The experience we had was second to none. Travelling alone with my son was a concern and safety in another country was key. The staff made us feel at home and went above and beyond to ensure our staff was very comfortable and felt at home. We purchased the premium package which I would highly recommend as the check in process was very relaxing and the premium lounge is a place you are always welcome for assistance throughout your ale stay. The lounge always had an available buffet available to you throughout the day and evening and the staff was incredible. Our room was beautiful and the food was excellent. My son and I went in Cabo St Lucas for the day and went to a restaurant for dining and my 16 year old son forgot his cellular phone there. When we realized this when we got back to the resort we called the restaurant and they told us that the phone was not there which we knew it was. A staff member from the resort spent hours tracking down my son's phone and after he got off shift actually drove my son to Cabo St Lucas to where e tracked the phone down to to pick it up. This incident could have ruined my son's whole trip and I am very grateful for the employees efforts and we will return to this resort for another trip no doubt. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the resort is very clean. This trip was a very positive experience and I would highly recommend this resort to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Premium Package Ocean view Rooms on the 6th floor are fabulous
2  Thank Sandi R
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Dear Sandi R,

Thank you for sharing with us such a great experience you lived at Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos. We are glad to read you and your son had a ball at our resort!!!

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed everything at your stay, from your arrival with this exclusive check in until the last minute you spend at our resort. As you could notice all our staff go out of their way to make our guest feel as much important as they are for us.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near feature, please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance planning your next get away to Los Cabos!!

Best regards,

Barceló Grand Faro Los Cabos

Write a ReviewReviews (2,983)

Reviewed 4 September 2014

Let me start by saying that I have stayed at the Barcelo resort in the Dominican Republic and it has set the bar extremely high. Unfortunately, Los Cabos could not deliver. The resort was a huge let down. First, the staff took a group of 10 that were booked together and split them up 6/4 on different sides of the resort. They had no explanation. They did not apologize or attempt to accomodate. The 2 groups had different ammenities and were offered different services. We all paid the exact same rate. We had to switch rooms 2 times because we were first given the wrong type of room and then the air did not work in the second room. The 3rd room was acceptable but the air conditioning still did not get cold and the beds are awfully hard for such an expensive resort. There is no 24 hour dining. I have never been at an all inclusive resort that did not offer something to eat all night, not even pizza or sandwiches. There were not enough bars, or food options. There was one casual dining restaurant that was available everyday. This resort was a bit of a drive from the night life. We were not aware of that when we booked. This hotel was beachfront but because of the under current, we could not get in the water. This was so strange. I would not recommend this resort to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank latesas2014

Dear La Tesa S,

We do appreciate you took the time to share with us your opinion following your last stay at our resort.

We are sorry to hear we were short on your expectations. We work very hard to deliver the high levels of service that our guest deserve according to the Barcelo Hotels and Resort standards.

We are going to double check the process on the front desk at the time they allocate the rooms, to guarantee they are taking a look on the special request our guest are asking for previously they arrive.

Please rest assured we are going to address your comment to our heads departments in order to improve our services.

We hope to have the opportunity to change this poor impression you have from us, we are confident we could do it!!!

Reviewed 3 September 2014

I had reserved a Superior room, but at check in we were upgraded to Ocean view. Loved the room. I read some reviews about about things being stolen from the room. That is what the safe is for. I left out our iPad one day by accident, and not only was it not stolen, it was placed on the table, I had left it on the bed.

We stayed the last week of August it was about 30% capacity due to weather. It rained the first 2 days we were there. The resort was the smallest we have ever stayed at, but we liked that.

Pro's - Clean, staff was friendly, food was good. The views were awesome form this resort. It was only a 10 min ride from the airport. Nice location, you can walk to Mega for shopping.

Con's - Service was a little slow everywhere. I mentioned how empty the resort was, you would think service would be better. I counted 15 people at the big pool one afternoon, and the waiter came by 2 times all afternoon, and I tipped him. There was only a few people at the swim up bar, and it still took 10 min to get a drink.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Russ H
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear Russ H,

Thank you for choosing us to celebrate such a great day "your 30th anniversary" we are honored to hear we were part of it.

We appreciate you took the time to share with us your opinion about our services. We are glad to hear you were able to experience the gentleness of our staff and to show you how we make our best to deliver the highest levels of service that our guest deserve.

Please rest assured we are going to addressed your comment about the slow service you noticed, in order to improve our services.

We hope to welcome you again for your 31st anniversary, it will be our pleasure to pamper you.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

Let me start off by saying that I'm not generally a fan of all-inclusive resorts. I think in general you usually pay extra to get mediocre food and watered down drinks, so this review is going to be biased in that way. If you usually love all-inclusive then this review may not be relevant for you.

A few other caveats that are not necessarily within the control of the hotel staff...We stayed here in the off-season, early August, for a friend's destination wedding. In general, I would recommend traveling to Cabo in the winter as the summer is very hot and humid. Additionally, you should know that this hotel faces the open ocean so the waves are too strong to swim on the beach here, putting a bit of a cramp in a nice beach vacation.

We got started on a very bad footing with the hotel as we arrived early (around 9am) on a Sunday. We were not allowed to check in until 1pm and not allowed in our room until 3pm. So we had to sit near the reception area for hours in full clothing in the hot, humid temperature. We were told (incorrectly) by the staff that all the nearby restaurants would be closed as it was a Sunday. So by the time we did check in we were starving and the buffet was closed so we had to eat at the pool snack bar which is absolutely atrocious. It had stale nachos and staler fries with watered-down ketchup, gross.

Once we finally got checked in and had a chance to experience the hotel at its best, I will say that two of the three reservation-only restaurants in the hotel, the Mexican and Italian restaurants across from reception, are very good. Both the food and the service was excellent. We didn't have a chance to try the third, the sushi restaurant in the lighthouse tower. The buffets are just average. I am a vegetarian so that could skew my perception of the buffet offerings as there are few vegetarian options, but what I did taste was just okay.

The pools are very nice. There are three main pools, the infinity pool, the activity pool and the main pool with the swim-up bar. I believe there are also one or two other smaller pools for kids but I didn't see those. I didn't spend any time in the activity pool, but the view from the infinity pool was gorgeous and the main pool was nice although there was always a crowd at the bar.

The cleaning service was okay, but clearly just did a spot check on the rooms. For example, a previous visitor had written obscene language high on the fogged up bathroom mirror (so you could only see it when the mirror fogged up again) but the hotel cleaning staff didn't clean the full mirror, only the lower part so it reappeared whenever we showered.

I did enjoy the weekend entertainment the hotel provides. We were there for both the beach party and a Mexican fiesta. Although both were a cheesy and touristy, I enjoyed both and thought they would be good for families with young kids.

A quick warning about the excursions being sold in the hotel lobby. They are way overpriced. If you speak Spanish enough to go across the street to the shopping center there, you can find the exact same packages for less. If you speak Spanish really well or fluently, you can put together your own excursions for a fraction of the price. We wanted to do the day-long excursion to La Isla Espiritu Santo, the hotel was going to charge us $200/person. Instead we rented a car across the street for $50/day, drove to La Paz and chartered a boat to the island for $40/person. So it ended up being $250 for 5 people instead of $1000.

All in all, I don't think I would recommend this hotel to a friend. There were no glaring issues, I just think it's incredibly overpriced for what you get. I'm not above staying in cheap hotels when they are cheap but this place felt like a cheap hotel with a big price tag. I would say if you're looking for a cheap vacation, there are cheaper hotels and if you're looking for a luxury vacation, there are nicer hotels.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank AlyshaB2005

Dear AlyshaB20,

We are sorry to hear you had some inconveniences during the time you stayed at our resort. On the other hand we are glad to hear you enjoyed the pool and to hear you had fun at the beach party and mexican fiesta as well.

Please rest assured that we are going to addressed your comment about the vegetarian options to our head chef, he is really creative and for sure he will add come vegetarian options on the buffet, because we really care of our guest satisfaction.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you again in then near feature.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

The buffet was always great and the staff is very attentive. Great views of the ocean and easy access to the beach. The pools were great as well. There was going to be some construction on our last night so they upgraded our room to the ambassador suite. Shout out to our bellboy Jose! Overall a solid experience.

Room Tip: Upgrade to premium and ask for a room, facing the ocean, in building 2 on the fourth or fifth floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike S

Dear Mike,

We appreciate you took the time to write a review following your last stay at our resort.

We are pleased to read you had a great time at our resort and to hear we were able to show you the highest levels of service we are known for.

We hope to have the honor to welcome you again in the near feature.

Reviewed 3 September 2014

I had previously stayed at Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe and loved it! What a difference....I was disappointed with the Los Cabos resort. The staff was pleasant and the room was clean, but the quality I had come to expect was not there. The pool/ snack bar did not open until 11 am and was closed at 6 pm....at a resort, I found that disappointing. The only other option for a libation is at the lobby bar.
The sky top lounge and the sushi bar had zero ambiance and the windows were dirty. A big factor when they suggest going up to watch the sunset.
I am glad I experienced Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe....if this was the first Barcelo propert I stayed at.....I would not return.

2  Thank 13SSS

Dear 13SSS,

Thank you for your preference for Barcelo Hotels & Resorts and for share with us a review following your last stay at our resort.

Since this property started to be part of the Barcelo Hotels & Resorts, we have worked very hard to deliver the highest levels of service this company is known for.

We are sorry to hear we were short on your expectations, however thanks your opinion we are going to focus or training sessions on making sure all the Barcelo´s standards will being implemented.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future and change this poor impression you have from us.

Best regards,

Reviewed 2 September 2014

Per the instruction, I phoned the hotel directly two weeks prior to our arrival to advise we would not be arriving until after 7pm (spoke to Carmen). I took advantage of the phone call to provide our children's ages (13, 11, 9); and stated we needed adjoining rooms. Carmen stated she made the note in their system. I then inquired about shuttle service from the airport. She transferred me to another department. Cristian provided me the details on a private transport and said he would email me the necessary paperwork - never received anything from him. I phoned again two days later and was promised paperwork again - still didn't get it. Two days later, I called again and was promised paperwork a third time. By this time, I decided to look on my own and found same service for less money!

Fast forward to arrival: Check-in process a bit slow for my liking; and to top it off, rooms are not adjoined as requested. Lost another hour trying to find rooms that would meet our request; to be told they couldn't fix it until the following day. Therefore, my husband had to sleep in one room with our boys and I slept in the other room with our daughter. Not exactly how we wanted to start our family vacation.

Next day, as instructed, I returned to the reception area at 10 AM with our luggage to be held until our new rooms were ready. New rooms were not ready until 4:30 pm! Our new rooms then had a view of the construction being done next door; but they were adjoined, which was our priority.

After we finally were able to check into our new rooms, we were able to relax and begin to enjoy our vacation; just upsetting that it took two days.

Overall, the hotel was clean and the food at the buffet was a good variety. Our kids are picky eaters and they enjoyed their meals. Activities at the pool, somewhat limiting, but the activities team do their best to get guests engaged. Pool bar was a bit frustrating, as it appeared that the rude people would get served quickly, while those of us waiting patiently would get overlooked.

Kids club did not have activities to keep our children entertained; it appears to be good for younger children; not a big deal, but worth mentioning for others.

Nightly shows are hit and miss; some are entertaining; while others are not. The beach party was definitely our family's favorite.

2  Thank sgnuanez
Meredith L, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear Sgnuanez,

We do appreciate you took the time to share with us your feedback following your last stay at our resort, your opinion is really important as it helps us to monitor our operation.

We are sorry to hear you had some inconveniences at the time you arrived, however we are glad to hear despite of this you and your family were able to enjoy your vacations at our resort.

Please rest assured that we are taking your comments very seriously, we are going to focus our training session on getting the pool bar service better, and the activities of the kids club as well.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near feature.

Asistente Ventas