“Royal Solaris - Beautiful Resort , Friendly Staff , Beach Venders From Hell!!”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #21 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 16 May 2011

We flew with Sunwing and Vacationed with Signature vacations all in the same...Flght was on time as are most we have flown with Sunwing arrived on time no problems with time share at the airport...

Was at the resort in no time...But !!! Royal Solaris did Not have a confirmation number or our names...We called Sunwing rep and all he had to say was give them your credit card till this was resolved ...No way so I said you give them Sunwings credit card he said this was not the way it done in Mexico...Back and forth on the phone for an hour ..

My choice was give Royal Solaris $ 170.00 usd for the night or sleep somewhere else not ANY help what so ever from Sunwing so I paid the money and decided to call Sears Travel in the morning...The front desk at Royal Solaris was very patient with me and profetional thank you Roya\l Solaris...

Next morning I called Sears Travel collect and they had it solved in 10 minutes and got my $170.00 usd back...Big thank you to Sears Travels in Canada...

The first morning up graded to a Ocean Front corner unit on the 2nd floor for $20.00 usd a day Great choice one of the nocest rooms and views we have had..

Rooms were cleaned every day and supplied with lotion and soaps and pop..Thank you to the maids job well done..

Food was very good at the speacalty restaraunts , Marco Polo and the Mexican one..Good choice of steaks there and nice salad bar...

Breakfast was nice in the morning with a great ocean view and Lucy the omellette maker always with a smile and singing ,Royal she is a great asset to your hotel...

Food for lunch by the pool and the ocean front restararaunt was also very good ..Really do not understand the complaints about the food in reviews here , where do all you people eat a t????

The only complaint I would have was where the buffet for dinner is held looks like a basement or old hall why not put the dinner buffet at the breakfast restaraunt???

The grounds are beautiful and pools keep clean , really liked the Adult pool by the beach was nice and quiet hope it stayes this way...

The beach out front was amazing and great for walking our only complaint was the beach venders...
First morning I was asked by them to get bottle water and drinks for them from the bar I told them no the hotel only paid for mine and my wifes drinks NOT THIERS!!

Well we were harrased and called names for 3 days every time we walked by..

Forget about sitting under a palapa because you will be harrased all day they even come up to the pools in the adult section up to the wall...Security is a JOKE they do NOT stop the beach venders at the property line marked in the sand...

If this stopped this hotel would be very close to a 4 and half star resort in my opinion..But without beach access because of harrasement i would give it a 3 and half star...

We would stay here again for the roght price and IF I read the beach venders were NOT harassing the guests any more..

The staff and all the waiters and waitresses were very friendly a great big thank you to you all from me..

Safe travels...jimmy

4  Thank jimmy_sea
Write a ReviewReviews (5,918)

Reviewed 14 May 2011

Some of the staff were rude!!! The food was ok. The staff in the travel agency in their lobby was also rude. The entertainment was very nice!!! Keep your valuables in the safe. Will go back with family n see If the kids like it. The beach area was nice.

Reviewed 13 May 2011

I stayed here for one night on my honeymoon, and will not go back. First there was a mix up with out reservaion, that they claim they never received. Then the room smelled really bad, it was really dated as well. The only thing I liked about the room was the bathroom mirrors. The cable is horrible. The alcohol was undrinkable. HORRIBLE!!! The beer is disgusting, and old, my husband could not drink it. One smell, and he threw the beer out. The alcohol is really bad quality. The pool is nice, but that was the only thing we liked here. They have an amazing area for kids. The kids pool has some awesome slides and fun stuff. Had our daughter had been with us, we would have never gotten her out of there! But overall, Its not worth it. Dreams Los Cabos is a better all inclusive here in Cabo.

Room Tip: just dont stay here
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Writing this from my iPhone on the way to the airport. For anyone considering this hotel- DON'T!!! Worst customer service ever! Booked a non-smoking junior suite with jacuzzi, got a smoking room. Were moved to an ocean front (already had full ocean view) and not refunded the 480 we paid to upgrade. Fernando in customer service was rude.
This is my second stay (came in Feb 2011) and it will be my last!! Stay elsewhere!!! I plan to post a more detailed review when I return home.

• Stayed: May 2011
3  Thank Melmyissa
Reviewed 11 May 2011

As most people I was quite scared by all the bad reviews here, but it turned out to be not bad at all. I think it depends on what you are looking for - we have a family with two kids ages 2 and 9, they both loved it and didn't want to leave! If you want nightly entertainment or a food lover, it may not be a place for you. We were rather looking to keep our kids busy so that we can relax and enjoy our vacation. And for that I think the resort is just great.

A few details to add from our experience:
- Timeshare people didn't bother us at all, in fact we were trying to find at least one of them in the lobby because we were curious, and never saw one. We did get a note under our door about the free gift, we just ignored it and that was it.
- I agree the food was not great but since it's a buffet we could always find something that we liked. Kids especially enjoyed snack bar with the french fries, pizza and burgers - we ended up having our lunches there as it is right at the pool and you don't need to change to eat.
- I don't agree that you cannot go into the ocean - our 9 y.o. son had a time of his life surfing the waves on the board. The hotel doesn't provide boards but we got one at the Mega store down the street for $15. Lots of kids and adults were surfing and some were just jumping on the waves. Just don't go very far into the water and you'll be fine.
- Pool area was very busy on the weekend (it was EAster long weekend), you did have to claim your chair early in the morning. But on Monday it emptied out and remained very quiet till the end of the week. We could get several chairs at the pool anytime during the day. We were told that lots of local people came on the weekend because of the holiday, that's why it was so busy.
- Kids water park and jungle playground was great, our daughter loved it. The only problem there is no washroom beside it, it so you have to go to the main pool area every time.
- Dancing shows were funny and quite amateur, although we liked the cartoon show it was interesting even for kids. Magic show was amazing, we loved it.
- Our room was quite large but the balcony was quite small. Some rooms have large balconies but they were not available when we arrived. The beds were not very soft but we like it that way. The pillows were quite hard too and that we didn't like.
- My biggest concern was the thin walls so you can hear everything people are saying in the hallway. Since we have small kids we usually went to bed early and it was quite noisy still in the hall, some kids running and yelling, it was hard to fall asleep.

I also very much liked the fact that it's close to the airport (only about 15-20 minutes), when you travel with small kids it is important as they get tired quickly.

Overall, I would recommend this resort for families with small kids and maybe even teenagers. May not be good for couples or young single travellers.

6  Thank Alyona73
Reviewed 4 May 2011

To start it was me, the wife, and two boys, 7/11. We were there from april 16-23, 2011. The place is very clean as we saw in all the reviews. Now iv'e been to numerous different all-inclusives and the food here is by far the second worst place for food ever. The first place was jamaica. There is only two restaraunts in this hotel that were a little better than the buffets. The buffets were by far the worst. There was the same food every day. Hardly any variety. The only buffet half decent was the breakfast. And yes if you ask they do serve bacon upon request. Now for the liquor, the other reviews I can say were wrong. There was non-watered down liquor served. All you needed to do if you like your drinks 100 Proof is ask. They do pour extra upon request. Now when it comes to top shelf, that your not getting. They do have Smirrinoff, Jonnie Walker Black, Cuervo Gold Tequila, but thats really it. For the time share: they did attempt to attack us at the airport in Los Cabos, but just say NO and thats it. They didnt even mention it once at the resort. They do have a bufet breakffast closed off to everybody except those who have time share. I do have to say the pool is beautiful and got somewhat warmer towards the end of my stay. There werent too many activities in the pool and the night shows werent all that great. Now for the pool, people do get up early and leave towels out on the lounge chairs all day even when they leave the resort. Some Nerve. Now three things I do need to mention are 1: The swim up bar does close daily at 6 PM. I did ask AT 6 for a drink but was refused. Upon leaving I did see the bar tender serve another who seemed to be a local after I already asked and was refused. Wow. 2: There was alot of locals that swarmed the place toward the end of my stay. 3: This was the worst by far. Upon our last day at the pool area, my wife left her bag wrapped up in a towel on our chair at the pool which had our passports, money and the key to the locker(they do have facilities to use after check out), and a local did remove the bag and move it to where they were sitting. Upon looking for it being we had 2 hours to leave the resort, and we ha dto call security. Luckily my wife looked around and found it, yet all we got was " no speaka english". When security did finaly come they made it look like the thieves were the victims, not us. There was room service that ended at 10 PM but there is a $5.00 USD charge for the service, not the food. For that and the food, I would highly NOT recommend this hotel. Its not worth the money.

5  Thank ltdvd1x
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We just got back from our spring break vacation at Royal Solaris, Los Cabos. I'm not too impressed with the resort at all. If you are a food lover and vagetarian than you are in a big fix. On the request, Chef will work with you to get you Vege Fajita and that's all you got. For the people who eats everything will enjoy the food. Staff will work with you. and will work better on tips. Room was alright. Initially, booked the regular room, got the street view so upgraded to oceanview thru timeshare presentation. In that room, Bathroom door and balcony door wouldn't lock. got it fixed. ac wasn't working to it's fullest and bed was too small for two adults to sleep! Too many problems... so next day upgraded to oceanfront which had a king bed and a murphy bed. Enough for 4 of us. And the view was breathtaking! I strongly advice you to do that. The ocean is not for swimming but very pleasing to your eyes. Magic show was really good. Tiki party on the beach - the atmosphere before the party started was really amazing! I'm a cocktail drinker and in 5 days I didn't like a single drink even after trrying all most all the drinks on the menu. It looks like that Bartenders are not trained. On the whole It is a 3 star resort with 4.5 star money. I'm not going back to that resort again!

3  Thank bhav_vacationer