“Good Value, Great vacation!”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #19 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Minneapolis, MN
“Good Value, Great vacation!”
Reviewed 26 March 2009

We went to the Royal Solaris for a week in March. We were a group of 4, one of which had never traveled before. All-in-all, we had a great stay. Unfortunately, our luggage didn't arrive when we did; we only got one bag out of 4. I talked to EVERYONE; the front desk, the bellmen, the contactours rep, another tour rep, the time share guys,and we had them 24 hours from when we landed. Special thanks to Carlos from Contactours and Benjamin, the other tour rep! Note that the missing luggage was Northwest Airlines' fault, not the resort's. To review:
Cleanilness- I don't think I have ever been to a cleaner resort. There were housekeeping people everywhere all the time. Sometimes it took a while for the maids to get to the rooms, but they did a great job.
Rooms - After reading reviews, we didn't expect an ocean view. What we got was a beautiful view of the hills/mountains behind the resort (rm 573). Our friends' room was not particularly close, but they had a patio that was huge (Rm 1415).
Food - It was ok. Breakfast is far and beyond the best. One person in our party couldn't get over the fact that he could get pancakes, french toast, and waffles all at once! The omlette ladies will just fry you a couple of eggs as well. Try the oatmeal, I don't know what they put in it, but it is really good. Also try the pancakes with sweetened condensed milk on them, different, but good. Always plently of fresh fruit and veggies and juices. I was very pleasently suprized by the food at the snack bar. The hamburgers are real meat, not the prefab patties I expected. Plently of fresh salsa, guacomole, veggies and fruit there as well. The supper buffet was fine; we always found enough of something we liked to fill up. The paella was excellent! I was not really all that impressed with Marco Polo, but we ate at Pancho's twice and the fajitas and fish were excellent.
Entertainment - there was something scheduled through out the day and you could take it or leave it. The dance troupe was really quite good and we went to 2 of the evening shows. Sometimes in-resort entertainment is just painfull, but these guys had some tallent! Their choreographer is very challenging and they made these kids do the pollside entertainment during the day! I asked them when they slept and they just laughed and said they got plently!
TIme Share Guys - never bothered us at all after one polite no.
Drinks - yes, they are a little on the weaker side, but when you are pretty much drinking all day, do you really want strong drinks? Kudos to the staff who serve drinks on the beach and around the pool. Bring a travel mug; the drinks come in 8oz glasses and melt rather quickly.
Tours - Out of our group, 2 did a 3 hour ATV tour, 2 swam with the dolphins, and 2 went fishing. Excellent experiences all around! Note that a taxi from the hotel to Cabo will cost 350 pesos. If you pay them in USD, they will charge you $35. If you change into pesos at the desk, it will only cost you about $25. Comments; 3 hours of ATV-ing is enough, they were tired. Fishing was great, but it was really rough! Do not go fishing if you get seasick! We had a ball, but talked to others who did not have a capt/crew who really cared. Make sure the tour guy knows the captain! Cabo is fun but very much geared to spring breakers, but we had the best fish tacos in the little place in front of Cabo Wabo. San Jose del Cabo is much more fun.
In general, we had a great time. Will we go back? Probably not, but not because of the resort; we just prefer the carribean side of Mexico. We would definitely do another Solaris property. Just remember it's Mexico!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vacbeach3311

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
Maple Shade, NJ
Reviewed 26 March 2009

The Royal Solaris was a great hotel. It was quite and tucked away from the hustle and bustle. The rooms was a nice size and the bathroom was not tiny like other resorts. It sits on the Sea of Cortez which we could not swim in because it was pretty rough there. The pool was the biggest I had ever seen. The food was very good and had a nice variety.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cdolezar
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed 24 March 2009

We had a blast. The food isn't super, but it was all edible. They drinks were not at all watered down. The previous comments are correct in that there isn't a lot to do at the resort. This wasn't a problem for us, because we left the resort often to do tours and activities in Cabo San Lucas. I would recommend whale watching, the canopy zip line tour, horse back riding on the beach, and deep sea fishing. We caught fish in the morning and went to Capitan Fish in Cabo San Lucas and they grilled it up for us! Delicious!

The hotel itself is immaculate. Incredibly clean and well taken care of. The resort seemed family friendly, but we don't have children, so I don't have a clear opinion on that.

You can avoid the timeshare sales pitch by immediately walking in and going to the left side check in counter (don't go to the right). Tell them you have an activity to get to in an hour and you want to unpack, change, and you don't have time for the timeshare. Be firm. It's not rude to be firm. Just say NO. They will not bother you again after you get past that.

I would also recommend the spa. Erica is a great massuese.

We got a great deal on the hotel through Costco Travel. They arranged transportation to and from the airport which was nice, and it was very well priced for what we got.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
northdakota
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My brother and I planned this trip around his time share so we didn't really shop around. We agreed to the 90 minute time share presentation and because we were friends of a member we were offered the VIP package at a pretty nice price.

I know the VIP bracelet entitled us to certain amenities and it was worth it. Sunday was the first night and there was a sit down four course meal on the beach. The food was wonderful and the service was super.

We had teenagers and a toddler in our group and all of us enjoyed the Caribbean night show on Tuesday. I was really hoping this wasn't a spring break "show us your skin" resort and it wasn't. The drinks weren't great and the snack buffet was a bit boring but the fresh hot fries really hit the spot and my niece loved the guacamole.

The sit down at Panchos was good. I loved their soups. The Saturday night buffet had a prime rib and a huge turkey that were very tasty.

Because we agreed to the 90 time share presentation we were also offered either a snorkeling trip or a zip line trip. Three in our group signed up for the snorkeling trip but decided against it because they heard there were like 300 people on the boat.

we did our own whale watching/snorkeling trip with Cabo Blue and it was wonderful. It was so neat to see the whales.

The time share presentation was painless and with three "nos" and three different salespeople you are out of there.

The comment about the vendors on the beach is true...a bit much. Pool didn't seem cold to me...it was 87 every day we were there and the cool dip was refreshing. You do need to get down to the pool/beach by 7:30 to get a decent spot which really is kind of early.

Overall, I think this vacation was wonderful.

Do heed the warnings at the Cabo airport...just get yourselves outside for transportation. Everyone in the building wants to set you up for a time share presentation. that was the worst part of the whole trip.

• Stayed March 2009
Chicago
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I have a family of 5 including a 3, 8 and 10 year old. We just stayed at Royal Solaris and have some great memories. At the airport, you are definitely hounded by people trying to sell you tours and get you to go to time share presentations. Just be firm and say no. My check in at the hotel was not an issue as others have indicated. I could tell who the time share representatives were. They actually did not approach me, but I also did not make eye contact. If they do approach you, be firm and say no. The rest of the trip, I wasn't approached by anyone. We asked for a different room at check in since we had 5. We were given the option of the standard room (with a poor view) but opted for a slightly better view which also included a murphy bed. It did cost an extra $20-30 a day but was definitely worth it. It's nice that they have refrigerators stocked with water, soda and beer in your room.

The breakfast buffets were actually quite good, especially given the choice if you are with kids. There is a lot to choose from and the food is fresh including made to order eggs, waffles, etc. Lunch outside by the pool was average. It is mostly your basic fried foods but if you go to the outdoor restaurant, the buffet was much better. They also had someone grilling something different everyday. For dinner, there are two nicer restaurants requiring a reservation. One is mexican and the other italian (named Marco Polo). For Marco Polo, you literally need to call between 9:00am and 9:10am to get a reservation. If you do, you'll get in. Just know how the system works. This is a nice dining experience. Even though it was more formal, the kids enjoyed it. Just break things up by going different places to eat. Rotate between the buffet and the other two restaurants. Otherwise, you'll get bored with the food. All things considered, I was happy with it. The food is always a little different in Mexico so just expect that.
The staff is very friendly and really take an interest in you. There were activities by the pool which the kids enjoyed. Their 20 year old activities crew were great with the kids (Abby was so nice). The pools are clean. You can walk onto the beach where there are a lot of vendors. They stand back and won't bother you unless you allow them to. You can get some nice deals inexpensively. I got a massage on the beach which was nice. I think it is $45 for an hour but I paid $30 for 45 minutes. We saw a lot of whales jumping in the distance. You really can't swim at the beach. It is clean and sand is perfect but the under current is too strong. Be careful with your kids. They can get wet up to the knees - just don't let them go in far.

We spent 4 days at Royal Solaris and 4 days at Fiesta American (which is a 5 star resort). Although Fiesta Americana is beautiful, our family had more fun at Royal Solaris, all things considered. For a family, it is a ton of fun and very reasonable. After leaving the all inclusive, you really appreciate it. It's so nice to walk up and get drinks for free and the kids got a ton of smoothies. At our other resort, we spent $8 everytime we wanted a drink. It's a great value being at an all inclusive resort. DEFINITELY bring money for tipping. It goes a long way and is appreciated. I tipped at check in, the bellman, the maid, the bartenders, etc. They make very little and will treat you great if you tip. Cash 100 singles before you go. I tipped from $5 - $20 at dinner. You'll be happy you did.

It's not a 5 star place, but was really nice for a family. I'd actually go back if given the opportunity. It's inexpensive, the staff is great and they try hard to make it pleasant for you. Remember that you are in Mexico and things are different from your home. Just go there to relax and have fun and I guarantee you will.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank ChicagoPartyOf5
Maryland
Reviewed 18 March 2009

Awful food, nothing to do, ice cold pool, harassment by the hotel and vendors outside the hotel, watered down drinks, nothing to do during the day and very little to do at night and did I mention the AWFUL FOOD???? Nothing for kids to eat besides chicken nuggets and fries either.
Not sure where to start as everything besides the cleanliness of this resort was awful especially the food. From the first step into the hotel, to the last step out of the hotel it was a huge disappointment and we had nothing but frustration. Every other family we talked to during the week felt the exact same way as we did. My husband and I took our 3 children ages 4, 5, and 6 to this resort because it looked like the kids club was going to be a great and wonderful thing. When we got to the hotel, we were literally held hostage by the receptionist and would not help us check in until she gave us her initial sales pitch and hand over twenty dollars as a refundable deposit to attend their 90 min sales pitch. After an hour of my husband saying "NO", the kids running around crazy because they had been sitting for 8 hours, and us not getting anywhere we finally gave in and gave the $20. She finally let us checks in only to our demise that our room was not ready and we were told to come back in an hour and a half. So we took the kids to the beach (you cannot swim there as the undertow was too strong). There, we were hounded by every person selling something to purchase their stuff. This happened every day, if you want piece and quite on the beach you will not get it here. After the hour and a half, we went back to get our room, where again we were told to come back in another hour and half (It was now past 4pm). My husband was pretty upset at this point and demanded a room. They finally gave us our room. The room is great for 2 people, but if you have 4 or 5 it is very cramped. There really is not a place to put your clothes either, 3 drawers and a closet. After we settled in we took the kids to the pool where we found out that the pool is very cold!!! They do not heat their pool and not many people swim in it. The kids club was closed the whole time we were there for maintenance, for 6 days. I called the hotel several times prior to us coming asking about the kids club giving them our dates and not one time did they say that it was going to be closed. That was the reason for us going there. The food, what can I say about the food. DOWN RIGHT AWFUL!! All they had for the kids to eat was chicken nuggets, fries and fruit. I have never left an all inclusive weighing less than I did before I went, except for this place. The food was awful. They had 3 places where you can eat, 2 of which you needed to make a reservation and 1 you didn't. All of the places were terrible!!!! Everyone in the food line would look at the food and say “I am not eating that”, or they walk around looking for something edible and they would shake their head in disgust. People walking the halls were talking about how bad the resort was and how bad the food was. If you go looking or compensation from the hotel, there won’t be any. Their response to complaints is “that’s not true” or “I can’t do anything about that”. If we could have gotten flights home early we would have left! By the end of day 5 and 6 I cried because my family was so miserable and by day 7 we were more than ready to leave. We were happy to leave. One last thing, the night life, it’s not very good. Entertainment is during the day is far and few between, and is pretty boarding. Really all in all, unless you are willing to pay an extra $150 per person to do an excursion, there really is nothing to do. If someone offered me a free vacation to go back I would say NO. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY!!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank tlpryor
Louisville
Reviewed 16 March 2009

We happened to stay here by accident after having a delayed flight. We came here from the Riu Santa Fe and were very happy to stay here. We were at the Solaris for 15 minutes and were very pleased to be here. The service was very prompt and helpful. The food was much, much better than at the Riu. All our travelers said they would rather be at this hotel than down the road. The cozier location, better service and food made for a very pleasant stay. Alraedy thinking about coming back. San Jose Del Cabo is much nicer to shop than Cabo San Lucas.

• Stayed February 2009
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#13 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#15 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!