“Royal Solaris in Los Cabos - awesome vacation for 10 nights!”

Royal Solaris Los Cabos
Ranked #20 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 7 April 2009

Date: March 26-April 5.2009
Reviewer: A TripAdvisor Member, Alberta, Canada
We (my husband and I) have just returned from a 10 night/11 day stay at the Royal Solaris in Los Babos San Jose. The hotel staff were spectacular and there are certain ones (ie: Lillian, Rafeal (sp??) -Laura that are above the best!!!...We stayed on the bottom floor about 200' from the main pool. Room 128...We had a kingbed and our room was just fine (ie: tile floors etc) very clean!
Next time we would request room 134 or 132 or 140 142..these are all good rooms..you would have to check to see if there are king beds in these rooms though. We just know that ours was a king! Rooms 140, 142, 144, 146 face the ocean. Very hard beds but I slept like a baby there. The hotel had wonderful shows and great food. Panchos an onsite restaurant was OK food..Marco Polos (Itailian is excellent) You have to call at exactly 9:00 am for reservations on that day..always had good eating times. The HUT (which is always closed to the gen public each morning but always open for us to eat lunch and dinner..fantastic salads. The snack bar is OK (great for kids). If anymore info needed just email me and I would be happy to help you out! PS: the timeshare people were like pyranas at the airport but that was the last we heard from them.

2  Thank travelinfool1339
Write a ReviewReviews (5,988)

Reviewed 6 April 2009

Yes it's bad when you get off the plane in Mexico but it doesn't matter what resort your staying at because you have to go thru the same process JUST GET OUTSIDE WHERE YOU SEE THE OUTDOORS all will be good then. That's when the vacation begins. We had an excellent time at the Royal Solaris. We where treated the same as everybody else we were not timeshare owners until the end of our stay. We stayed 5 nights the food was great lot's of selection. If you couldn't find something then you are to picky. Yes the beds are firmer then mine at home but it gave me time to learn how to sleep on my back. If you don't want to engage in the activiyies you don't have to. If you want to lie around then go for it. We layed in our chairs on the beach watching the whales jump out of the water it was great. Many opportunities to go into Cabo San Lucas they have a shuttle. If you want night life thats where it is. At the Royal Solaris the night life is not a hopping place. They do have everynight music down in the foyer but it's not a disco. Just because it's all inclusive doesn't mean that you don't ever tip they work hard for that and the small amount that they get for working there doesn't cut it. So throw something out once in awhile. Just know that everybody out side of the resort wants to get you to try there place in the Mega store the people in the orange shirts look out for nice but.. The info booths well you get your info and a half hour later your on the way just be strong. The silver from the vendors are not real remember - If it's to good to be true it's not real. Just sit back and relax and enjoy!

1  Thank sweetrobinfly
Reviewed 31 March 2009

The time share sharks were on you right from the time we steped food in the door.We had to be very firm with them that we were not intersted.Very desapointed in the room we were suposed to get a non smoking that did not happened.The beds were small and very old and hard.The place is very clean tho.The food was just ok.The best thing there was the entertaiment crew they were awsome.The place is too far from anything fun to do.Will not go back there again.Could not swim in the ocean.Next year we will go to mexico again but never Cabo.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I just returned from the Royal Solaris, and my boyfriend and I had an absolutely fabulous time. We stayed four nights, from March 26-March 30. We read TripAdvisor extensively before we went, and the entire time we were there, we kept saying, how did anyone have a bad experience?

Upon arriving at the airport, we took a cab to the Royal Solaris. We had not arranged transportation in advance, but we took a shuttle for $11/person to our resort. Once we arrived, we were greeted by our hotel attendent, Craig. Craig greeted us warmly and explained everything that was necessary for us to know. He began by taking drink orders and making sure we were taken care of. Craig made sure we were aware of the things that were an extra charge (hotel safe = $1/day, phone calls, internet access) and knew our way around the resort. At the very end, he told us that the other part of his job was selling timeshares, and he asked if we would like to go to breakfast with him and talk about timeshares. We politely declined, and that was that. After we said no the first time we were NEVER bothered again by timeshares.

After checking in, we went into our room. Though we had not paid for it, we still had a beach view from our balcony, which we were not expecting! The beds are hard, but they were still comfortable and we had no problems with them. The room was incredibly clean and well-maintained. Our bags did not arrive, but we called down and they were quickly brought up within 10 minutes. Initially, our fridge was not stocked, but we mentioned this to Craig and it was remedied in seconds.

I cannot stress how incredibly professional and friendly the staff was. Below is some more information about the resort:

CLEANLINESS
The Royal Solaris was the cleanest resort I have ever been to. The staff was constantly cleaning. If you walked, there was someone behind you mopping up the ground you had just left. The pool area was incredibly clean. We visited some friends who stayed at the RIU Santa Fe, and their pool area was not nearly as well kept. The minute you got up from your table, an employee would clean it. If you set an empty cup down, it was taken away within minutes. This resort is incredibly well-maintained.

SERVICE
Service was fantastic. At first, we were weary of how the service would be. Since this was the first all-inclusive resort my boyfriend and I had been to, we thought service wouldn't be so great (since we'd already paid). Boy were we wrong. The servers were FABULOUS! At the adult pool, the servers constantly made sure we had drinks and were taken care of. When we made reservations for dinner, service was phenomenal. There was never a line at the bar. I tipped occasionally ($1 USD), but I couldn't tell a noticeable difference when tipping or not tipping.

FOOD
Overall, I was extremely impressed with the food. Like others have mentioned, the breakfast was absolutely delicious. There was so much variety: pancakes, waffles, omelette bar, cereals, fruits, pastries, sausages, bacons, eggs, etc. Each day we were extremely happy with breakfast, and the waitstaff was incredibly friendly. There are several options for lunch. There is always the pool/snack bar. This type of food is more American type food (hotdogs, onion rings, chicken fingers, hamburgers, nachos, pizza, etc.). However, it was always good for a snack. There were other lunch buffets with more options (fajitas, fish, grilled steak/chicken, etc. We had a great time at lunch. The only problem we ever noticed was that the food was sometimes cold. However, there was always a salad and fruit option - which I found helpful. Dinner was great! We strongly recommend Marco Polo's. We ate there twice, and it was out of this world! You really do have to call AT 9AM to make reservations, but it is well worth it. We had the Parmesan crusted Mahi Mahi (which was delicious) and the second time we had the Rib Eye (even better - the sauce it was marinated in was great). The appetizers were delicious (especially the calamari) as were the deserts. We thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant, and we thought the bargain was incredibly. Both times we had what would have equated to about $100 meal and were thoroughly impressed when we consider what we paid for the vacation.

Drinks were always plentiful, and we were never wanting! The cups are small, but the waitstaff was always coming around and refilling them, so that wasn't a problem. I thought the drinks were always strong, and we were very happy with the quality and variety of drinks possible.

BEACH AND POOL AREA
We loved the beach area, but we noticed not that many people were out on the beach. Most stayed by the pool area. We were completely happy just setting our towels out on the beach, but we understand that not all people would be happy without chairs. From the beach we could see dolphins and even whales! We were very excited. There are a lot of vendors on the beach, and they do come up to you and try to sell you their goods. However, a simple no gracias and they will go away. Compared to Cancun, these vendors are much less pushy and will leave you alone after your first no thank you. One thing we did not know in advance, you are not allowed to swim in the beach due to the strong undertow. You can still wade, but the undertow is very strong.

The pool area was also very well kept. It is difficult to get a chair, and I would recommend putting your towel down on a chair by 8AM if you would like to make sure you get a chair. We stayed at the adult's only pool, and that was very relaxing. The larger pool was also popular, but it was much louder. There were always games and activities going on at the big pool (water aerobics, volleyball, etc.).

LOCATION
We were a little confused about the fact that Cabo is made up of two cities: San Jose Del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. The Royal Solaris is in San Jose Del Cabo. San Jose Del Cabo is much smaller and quieter. The clientele at the Royal Solaris was an older clientele - families, older couples, etc. In Cabo San Lucas, the city is much louder and wilder and more of the MTV Spring Break crowd. It is about a 25 minutes cab ride to Cabo San Lucas (and it ended up costing us $35 each way - for two people). We went into San Jose Del Cabo one day, and the strip the hotel told us to visit was very small and touristy. It was nice, but we're pretty sure it exists only for tourists. There were lots of shops to look in and buy souvenirs, and there were several good restaurants (we recommend the Tropicana). One night we went into Cabo San Lucas, and it was much crazier and much larger. It reminded me much more of Cancun. Depending on what you want to do, you will probably love or hate the location. If you want to be by all the clubs (Cabo Wabo, etc) and all the "spring break" type action, you need to stay in Cabo San Lucas. But, if you want more of the relaxing, small town feel - San Jose Del Cabo and the Royal Solaris are definitely the location for you.

In conclusion, we loved our time at the Royal Solaris and would definitely come back. I think the reason people may not like the Royal Solaris is if you are used to high end luxury resorts. This is not a "five star" resort like the Ritz Carleton. The food isn't prepared by Wolfgang Puck. However, we felt like we were treated better than if we had stayed at a five star resort. For the amount of money we spent, this was definitely worth it, and I would recommend it to anyone!

10  Thank lor41886
Reviewed 30 March 2009

I went to the Royal Solaris with 7 of my friends. Upon arrival, the hotel looks decent. We were optimistic about the great deal we found on bookit.com and the four days we were about the spend there. Check-in was relatively easy, although we weren't able to get rooms near each other. We requested partial ocean views and king sized beds and got parking lot views and double beds. It was fine for me since I'm single and roomed with a friend but it wasn't so great for the married couples.

First off, the room was a disaster. The beds were rock hard, the bathroom lock was broken, and the sink didn't drain properly. While washing my face, it nearly overflowed multiple times. It wasn't just our room, as the situation was identical in the other 3 rooms we occupied.

The food was also not up to par. If you do decide to stay here, I recommend making reservations at the Marco Polo every night for dinner. In order to grab a reservation, you must call exactly at 9am and stay on the line for as long as 3-5 minutes before the call is answered and you're placed on hold for another 3-5 minutes. It's worth it, though, because the dinner buffet is disgusting. EVERYTHING at this resort is watered down. The salad dressings, the soups, the liquor, all of it. The only decent meal I had was a rib eye at the Marco Polo restaurant. The snack bar is also the best thing there, which features hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, quesadillas, onion rings, french fries, nacho cheese, chicken wings, and chips with salsa and guacamole. Our group ate this the most. The lunch buffet is below average but better than the dinner buffet. The best part about lunch is the small stand they build off to the side with a grill. They offered shrimp, chicken and beef kebobs the 2nd day and chicken, beef, and ribs for tacos the 3rd. The meat quality is decent. As for room service, if you order past 11pm, it will be cold and almost inedible. It's also the smallest selection. Overall, I was highly dissatisfied with the food but you get what you pay for.

They only have 1 pool area so be prepared to wake up at the break of dawn to reserve pool chairs. Some hotel guests were literally there at 5am putting one shoe on each chair and then going back to their room to sleep, re-emerging at their leisure. When we got out there at 7:30am, 90% of the chairs were reserved. Their daily activities were also low quality. The activities leader at the pool is an ignorant pig as well. That seemed to be the theme of the resort. During one game, where one of our guys is participating, he asks the audience to count in Chinese (we aren't Chinese) and proceeds to "count" saying random ching chong noises. What century are we in? We were a group of Asians and the place was brimming with racist rednecks. One such group claiming to be from Seattle (turns out they were actually from a small town 30 minutes south of Canada) called 2 of our guys "Harold" and "Kumar" the entire time which was highly annoying. Like I mentioned before, you get what you pay for.

The only thing that saved the trip were the awesome bar staff, especially Lolo and Erica who did everything they could to make sure we had everything we wanted and needed. We made sure to let the hotel know in our customer satisfaction survey that they were exceptional employees but even still, we will never be returning to this place again. Royal Solaris was a complete waste of my time and money. I could (should) have spent $50 more and gone to a better place.

I wouldn't even recommend this place to my enemies.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank heyitsrara
Reviewed 30 March 2009

This was the first vacation I've ever had where everything went as planned and I have no complaints. The resort is a short ride from the airport, and when we got there, we were of coarse welcomed by a concierge who was very nice. I agreed to go through the tour because I usually do, and got a few kickbacks. The best part was, on the morning of the presentation, I was a bit hungover from the night before and expressed this to the salesman, and I didn't have to do the tour.
Personally, I loved the food. My girlfriend, who is extremely picky, was not too fond of it, but she never went hungry.
The staff was awesome. Take the time to be courteous and learn their names, ask about their family, etc, and you will get treated like a king.
This was by far the cleanest resort I've ever visited. Every square inch of this place is cleaned constantly, even if it's already clean. I would eat off of any surface.
The rooms are nice, about like your average Holiday Inn, but who's going to stay in the room all the time?
Several Mexican celebrities stayed at this resort while we were there, and we actually befriended a few of them before we found out they were famous.
I had a great time as did my girlfriend and our friends. If you want a worry-free vacation at a great location for not a lot of money, this place is great.

Reviewed 29 March 2009

We were at the Hotel Solaris for seven wonderful days. I have traveled extensively and have never stayed in any Hotel/Motel that was so clean. There was always someone cleaning some where, even in the sidewalks outside. The resort is absolutly beautiful filled every where in the outside court yard with colorful flowers. There was a huge pool complete with instructors for different activities, as well as, water arobics and games for the children. There was also a quiet pool for the adults (no children allowed) and a hot tub. We enjoyed countless hours on the beach under the shade of a cabana if we so chose, volleyball on the beach. I enjoyed a horseback ride on the beach, parasailing, a glass bottom boat ride, and a swim with the dolphins. We do not drink alcohol but the virgin drinks were very good and many that I have never heard of before but tried. The food was fantastic, I have never seen so much food in my life. There was something for everyone, my husband even went golfing. The variety was great and in the evening if you chose to eat in the theater there was entertainment after dinner. There were even events on stage for the kids only. The staff was always around asking to refill your drinks, for those who wanted to have a balance meal each time that was definatly no problem. Each nights dinner had a theme such as Mexican night, carabean night, asian night so you were able to try all types of cusine. Breakfast had everything you could think of, pancakes, waffels, omlettes, pastries, fruit galore, sausage, eggs, bacon, toast, as well as all the mexican cusine. Our room was spacious and again very clean. Anytime I called down to the desk for anything they were immediatly at the door within a couple of minutes. There was beer, water, soda pop in the refrigerator replenished everyday, there was a coffeepot and coffee which was also replenished everyday. There was absolutly nothing lacking, this is the best vacation value that we have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. A traditional Mexican festival was going on in downtown, San Jose which we visited on two different occasions. A quick walk up to Mega mart and we caught a bus for $2.00 to go into Cabo San Lucas with tons of activities there to enjoy. We will definatly be back next year, and are hoping that someday in the near future we can work it out so that our children and grandchildren can accompany us too. Thank You all the staff for making this such a great vacation. See You Next Year!!

Garrick & Norma Whitaker