“Relaxing”

Ranked #18 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
calgary
“Relaxing”
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Stayed at the resort from February 22 till March 8, 2010. Enjoyed our stay. The time share staff only phoned our room once and other than that, they left us alone. Rooms are very clean and yes, the beds are a bit firm. Not overly impressed with the two tier for guests, you are either a member or not. However, Oliver, our waiter and Victor, the captain, were excellent. They could not do enough for you and treated us like we were owners. The food was typical buffet style, and yes, over a two week period meals were repeated. I bet you have repeat meals and left overs at your home. Pools were clean and enjoyable. Not much activity at pool side other than the usual Bingo and Spanish lessons etc. The entertainment at night was good, however, it is the theatre in the basement. We missed having the theatre outdoors. One suggestion, if you have s stroller and wan to go to the shows as one of the staff to show you where the ramp is to get down to that level instead of taking the stroller down a flight of staris. The massage on the beach was fantastic, we paid 400 pesos for one hour. In fact, the massage lasted over one hour and they used the hot stones.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canadianwinter60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed 30 March 2010

Wonderful and beautiful hotel! Super clean! My only complaint is that the bed was like sleeping on plywood, which I'd read in other reviews. A few extra pillows and it wasn't too bad. The food was great, the staff was awesome! Oh, my other complaint was that the relaxing pool was about 60 degrees! The ocean was warmer. The shower was a little dated, but water pressure was good. There was a sign stating that all water is filtered, and we had no problems with it.

Can't say enough good things about this place really. We did not have anyone approach us about a time share at all (also read that in previous reviews and I was steeling myself for it). We barely left the hotel at all - had everything we could possibly want and had the time of our lives! :-) Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hotmamma88
Kingston, ON
Reviewed 22 March 2010

When booking for the third time and reading some of the nasty reviews at this site, I was a little apprehensive. I was thinking that there was no way everything could be perfect for the third time around. Happy to say... IT WAS!!! Perfection in paradise!

No our room wasn't ready when we arrived at noon, that is because check-in is 3PM. It was ready by 1:30 and we were on the beach with chairs by 2PM. We just grabbed a bite to eat while we waited for our room and were welcomed by waiters and other staff who remembered us from previous years. It was a very warm welcome! The hotel is casual and has a nice "down to earth" attitude about it - not stuffy or "posh". It is not the Four Seasons, but the service is just as good!

The food was excellent: lots of fresh fruit and vegetables available as well as meat and fish. Always an excellent selection at the buffets and guaranteed crisp lettuce for salads which is a pleasant surprize in the heat. Room service was fast and the food was also excellent. Marco Polo remains the stand out for service and quality of food. (The Calamari is FAB!)

Our room was comfortable, and since I prefer a firm bed I have no complaints about that. I love the roomy step in shower also. No banging of elbows on the walls and no slippery tub to stumble into.

The balcony was huge again! Lot's of room for sunning and reading and lounging. We - my 17 year old daughter and myself - had no difficulty finding chairs either by the pool or the sea wall, and we did not go down for breakfast til about 9:30 each day then we got towels and chairs afterwards. Yes people do go down early to get their preferred location, but we managed just fine.

Maid service excellent again! The room was spotless. I dropped by a couple of times to find the maid washing down the balcony and the lounge chairs and even spraying down the shower curtain with cleanser. Something new this year was fresh towels and bathmat each evening. A nice touch! Oh yes, and this year there was free Wi-Fi in the lobby, which was nice for my daughter keeping in touch with friends in Canada or who were travelling also.

I won't begin to try to name names of the AMAZING staff as I would feel badly if I missed someone. Suffice it to say from the gardeners, to cleaning staff, to waiters, bartenders, bell men, front desk.... EVERYONE was pleasant, eager to please and greeted us with a smile from sun up til sun down! The entertainers go the extra mile and then some not just entertaining but visiting with guests and offering advice and suggestions of where to go and what to do. I'm impressed with the number of staff who have worked at this resort for many years. Long time retention of employees at resorts like this is a good sign.

The vendors on the beach will not bother you if you smile and tell them "no thank you" - they just go away. If you do show interest in something, the security guards will let them stay. If you choose to go to the timeshare presentation you will get a free activity. We got free zip lining. Which would have cost $88 each.

My daughter had done parasailing and swimming with the dolphins in the past. This year she went horseback riding a few times and had massages on the beach (Pink tent - $25 for an hour, tipped $5, amazing massage!) Spent a day in Cabo shopping and sightseeing and even got a one of a kind prom dress for my daughter's senior prom for an incredible low price and it is gorgeous!

Finally, this year we went for 10 days as 7 days just wasn't long enough. Next year, I hope to go for two full weeks.... 10 days just wasn't long enough!

Thank you EVERYONE at Royal Solaris for another WONDERFUL vacation!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank PattiA24
saskatchewan
Reviewed 20 March 2010

This was our family's first trip to Mexico, so we don't have anything to compare it too, but to say the least...it was the best holiday we've ever been on! (note: we only payed $900 each tax included)
Food and drinks were excellent and plentyfull! I would highly recommend the Rib Eye at Marco Polo's. Phone at exactly 9am and you'll get a good time for your reservation.
My family is picky eaters, but we never had a bad meal anywhere on the resort. The snack shack had all kinds of food that would appeal to anybody. (hamburgers /hotdogs/ chicken wings/pizza / fish .....even had breaded deep fried squid once.)
Although our kids are teenagers, we went to the kids area to check it out. It was a seperate place attached to the west side of the hotel....it looked great for young families.
Although you couldn't swim in the ocean you could still walk in the water......if you went too far in.....I had seen young teenage boys all get slammed down under. Luckily they came up....they quickly moved closer to the shore. One older gentleman thought he'd be brave and went in up to his waist. He too got slammed under and when he came up his eye was starting to swell. Turns out he got stung by a jelly fish or something. There is a place about 10 min's away (drive) that is great for swimming and snorkeling.
We found all the workers at the hotel excellent. Be sure to tip for the very best of service! A couple bucks here and there goes a long way and will make you holiday that much better. They have an incredible memory....so when they see you again....they'll look after you.
We did a trip with west jet to Cabo and it was well worth it. If your at San Jose......you gotta take a trip to Cabo and do the glass bottom boat tour / whale chasing / tour of the famous arch/ check out the seals / divorce beach /lover's beach / snorkleing etc.....it was a package that cost $85.00 each but if we did all those things seperate it would have cost us double that (at least).
Be sure to walk (10min) to the MEGA (mexican walmart) and check it out. Then walk 15min to downtown San Jose. (there is first a little mini mall.....but be sure to keep going and check out the vendors and businesses a few blocks further. Then come back to the mall on your way back)
There is wireless internet in the lobby and they gave me the password at no charge...I tipped him $5.00. I'm sure they never change the login and password....just ask someone who's on the net what the user name and password is.
To make your holiday the best......avoid the black shirt guys!!!! Unless your into that sort of BS!
We didn't listen to our travel agency and were tricked into seeing one when we landed in San Jose. Just before you get outside at he airport (where we were told to meet our representative) a guy stopped us and said he was our rep. We believed him and he was calling for a ride to our hotel and while we were to wait....he started into his BS......we then realized we've been scooped and quickly left to go outside where the rest of our flight friends were talking to our real Rep. Same thing happened when we got to the hotel. We tipped the driver of our ride, and were quickly met by a so called "Hotel Rep" who started to load our bags on a trolley. Not knowing that he was actually with Club Solaris not Royale Solaris. He too tricked us......when I figured it out we grabbed our bags ourselves and checked in at the desk. I kinda snapped on him.....but they never bothered us again the whole week we were there. I've done a few time share things before and it's REALLY not worth anything there giving you. Unless you have many thousands to throw away......even then....I wouldn't!
Again....for the price we paid....I'd call the hotel a 3.5 star and the service and food 5 star!
Remember.....everything is what YOU make it!
Enjoy your holiday and don't worry about negative reviews....I've seen them at the very best of hotels!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank timbuk2ca
Reviewed 20 March 2010

Excellent service, beautiful surroundings, delicious food, great staff... Can't praise our stay enough.

Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spydrldy
B.C. Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2010

The reort is wonderful in all ways. The Seagulls are hungry and can scare young children.DON'T FEED THEM... Don't do the timeshare thing either at the airport or at the resort. The food was fabulour till the last day when I ate something that made me deathly ill, thank you to Martha for the shot you were the best because I felt like I was going to die......something must not have been washed thoroughly. The rooms are so clean, and the over-all look of the resort is beautiful. We will be back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BCLadyCanada
Saskatchewan
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Just returned from spending 2 weeks here with another couple. The hotel is situated within a 10 minute walk to a Mega (grocery) store and about 25 minutes to San Jose del Cabo. Having been to about about 8-10 all inclusive resorts over the years I would agree with the reviews that say this resort is a 3 star. The food quality and selection was better than most. Of the two resturants that you can book for the evenings, the Italian one is better than the Mexican one which is average.
Our room was facing the street and was on the second floor.Most of the nights during the second week loud party music till 2 AM required the sliding patio door to be closed and the air conditioning to be on which was extremely noisy. Both room and food service was okay.
Probably the most agravating thinh over the two weeks were the local vendors of necklaces,bracelets,cigars,pottery,t-shirts and other crap that pestered you to buy their stuff from morning till evening on the beach. Despite there being a roped off area 50 feet away from the short walls and ample security personnel to keep them out, these people would relentlessly walk by jingling there stuff and holding it in front of your face asking you to buy it. It was not uncommon to tell the same people "no thanks" at least 2-3 times each hour all day long. After a while this gets a little tiresome and I cnnot understand why the resort even has a roped off area or security people as both are ignored!!
This was our 3rd trip to the area and really enjoy the area but will likely not return due to an over abundance of pedlars.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
ME Cabo by Melia
ME Cabo by Melia
#14 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All-Inclusive
Holiday Inn Resort Los Cabos All...
#16 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
Hotel Riu Santa Fe
#41 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Dreams Los Cabos Suites Golf Resort & Spa
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
Barcelo Gran Faro Los Cabos
#14 of 42 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Royal Solaris Los Cabos? Share your experiences!