“Not up to Secrets standards”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We were "moved" to this hotel from Dreams due to over booking (see Dreams review). The first couple of days of our 10 night stay were fantastic. Great service, excellent food, a number of restaurants to chose from. The hotel appeared busy, but not overcrowded. We noted that most of the guests were government officials of one kind or another, and were informed that they were pre-scouting teams for the upcoming June G7 conference. By the third day of our stay they had all left, and the hotel changed completely. Staff disappeared, service became indifferent, and all the restaurants closed except for the "main" dining room, poolside grill (lunch only), and the small fixed-menu boutique restaurant (evening). The hotel became a proverbial ghost property. It couldn't have been more than 25% occupied. The limited menus did not change, and the only buffet offered was breakfast, with little or no variation from day to day. The quality of whatever food was available became hit-and miss. Since this was an all-inclusive package, food quality and selection was an important part of our vacation. We even ordered room service one evening even though it was the same menu as the dining room, just to have a different view! Other issues abounded, but suffice it to say that by the middle of our stay we were looking forward to going back home. We would have never stepped on the plane in Calgary had we known what was in store.

We are pursuing legal action to recover the cost of the vacation from our agent and/or the booking company (Holiday House).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank CalgaryCaboTraveller
Write a ReviewReviews (2,029)

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Don't believe the bad reviews, we have been in many 5 stars resorts in Carabeans, Mexico and Asia and we can tell that this place is superb. Beautiful hotel and landscape, great food and excellent service. It is quiet and raffined.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank beringerv
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed at Secrets the first week of January with my husband and 2 sons, but just got around to writing my review now since I travel quite freguently and have been to approximately 10 other hotels since my stay at Secrets Marquis, all of them all-inclusives in Los Cabos, Riviera Maya and Punta Cana so I believe I have a good basis for comparison.

Secrets is tied for best hotel that I've stayed at recently with Zoetry Paraiso Del Mar, and certainly the best in its price range. It is the most luxurious of any Secrets Resort I've visited and the food is the best. Were there only 2 restaurants to choose from (well, no, 3 actually if you count the pool bar), but the food is exceptional. I go to some of the best restaurants in NYC and the restaurants here were as good if not better than most. I loved that there is no buffet - for breakfast I asked for salsa verde and pico di gallo with my eggs - they made it from scratch and it was delicious. The pesto risotto was incredible - who knew?

Was it quiet? Yes it was, blissfully so, but people gathered in the lounge area for pre and post dinner cocktails and they organized poker games. Most other guests were friendly and content to mingle and enjoy each others company. My sons are in college and even they appreciated the atmosphere and great food.

The rooms are stunning with very high quality furnishings. We had connecting suites but I noticed that the mirrors and lighting were different in our suites and our sons - no cookie cutter rooms here. The linens were very high quality and everything about the room was suitable for a 5 star resort. This was not a cheaply built resort.

If I would change anything, it would be the entrance. The sign out front is just plain ugly, as is the facade, but once you're in the lobby and beyond, it's gorgeous. Also the gym is massive - bigger than mine at home.

This is not your ordinary Secrets, and in my opinion, that's a good thing. If you're the type who needs campy entertainment, an "animation" team, a disco and pool games to enjoy a resort, Secrets Marquis is not for you, but if you dislike buffets, enjoy fine dining, elegant surroundings and a relaxing friendly environment, then go here before the rates go up, because when the secrets about this Secrets gets out - they will.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views but 4th and 5th floors are best, especially those located at the center o...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank Renee59
Reviewed 1 April 2012

To start this a truly beautiful hotel property. The entrance lobby is outside and very dramatic looking directly out to the ocean. I stayed in a Junior suite on the third floor with a balcony overlooking the pool & ocean. This was a very comfortable room with a spacious shower, separate jacuzzi, safe, sitting area, table etc. Now this is the part of the review is my OWN personal opinion and again "depends what your looking for". The hotel is very very quiet during the day and at night. No music playing anywhere, no nightly entertainment, just very quiet and serene spa like atmosphere and environment. This hotel is not in Cabo, it is in San Jose, which is about a 15-20 min. ride to Cabo. Taxi ride is $25 each way, or $50 round trip to go to Cabo and back which gets expensive and a little discouraging. There is nothing surrounding the hotel at all, so basically if your not wiling to spend money on a taxi your out of luck. There is a local bus which costs about $2 each way to Cabo, but I did not try it as it was not "recommended" by the hotel staff. The staff also "recommends" that you do not swim in the ocean since the current is so strong. The waves are very strong and very loud, at night even with the balcony door closed it sounds like a constant thunderstorm which woke even woke me up a few times. The service was good as they really try to make you comfortable. The spa was large but nothing really stood out, they have a sauna, showers, a hot outdoor jacuzzi, and a cold outdoor jacuzzi. The food was ok, nothing special and very limited. They have two restaurants at the moment but are planning on opening a few more by the summer. No swim up bars, only 1 lobby bar which was very quiet also. Personally I would not go back to this hotel, but that is because I like being in a more upbeat environment with the choice of also having a quiet setting too in the same hotel. The thing I didn't like most about this hotel was the location, it was just too far for me from everything.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
10  Thank DA2311
Reviewed 1 April 2012

You get what the website says you get. We had an amazing time. We knew that the hotel recently became secrets and they are undergoing some changes.

Other reviews said there was construction and it was noisy, however in the 5 days that we were there I never heard any construction noise. I only knew about it because one day I walked past a little area where I could see the guys working.

As the website states not all of the restaurants are open at this time. But the couple that are open had very good food, just the service at times was slow. But we were not there for the food.....we were there for the sun, pool and beach!

The infinity pools are great, beautiful view looking out to the sea. The stretch of beach that this hotel is situated on is beautiful! There are not many people out walking on the beach. It is nice and quite and you can just enjoy it. As most people know you can't/shouldn't swim in a lot of the areas in Cabo. If you walk down the beach a little toward the Hilton there is an area where you can swim but still be careful.

This hotel is a great location short taxi ride into San Jose or downtown Cabo.

They bring you a continental breakfast every morning into this little nook in your room. It is coffee, tea, pastries, fruit, and yogurt. Nice little something to get you going. If you want something else you can order regular room service or you can walk down to the breakfast buffet.

This hotel is pretty low key but that is what we wanted, to relax. Our routine: 6am watch sunrise, lay back down for a bit 8:00ish eat some of our continental breakfast in room, 10:00 if still hungry eat at buffet, relax laying out at infinity pool, go for walk on beach, back at infinity pool eat ceviche (delicious), relax at pool, maybe watch sunset, get ready for dinner or go to town, back at hotel have nightcap a bar. One day we went to the spa and enjoyed a couple's massage. It was great.

(In Cabo we ate at Nick San's sushi restaurant the food the amazing. In San Jose Mi Casa restaurant was very good also)

Don't let people being picky discourage you from this resort. If you are looking for a party hotel this is not it. If you are looking to relax this is a good choice.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 3,050
Reviewed 19 March 2012

We checked into this hotel with an open mind as we knew that it was recently taken over by Secrets (which for the record we LOVE). However at this time I cannot recommend this property to anyone as of yet.

The hotels in Cabo are quite different then the Rivera Maya area as they are situated right off the road (most all of them not only Secrets) The highway noise did not bother us but we were on the 5th floor. With an amazing view I might add.

The property is beautiful and the rooms are perfect in every way. Tubs, showers, linens plenty of electrical outlets, mirrors and patio. T.V. is outdated, though.

CONS: I assure you if you have any doubt what-so-ever about staying here because you read all the reviews that it is quiet. Please believe me...it is like a yoa retreat quiet. Do not stay here if you want action, fun and a enthusiastic vacation. You will not get it unless you have a rowdy group or conference that you are attending. No beach activities, no vendors, nothing to look at besided pretty scenery.

The breakfast buffet is the worst I have ever seen out of 8 + all inclusives properties I have stayed at in my life. Again I am hopeful this will change when the other restaurants open. For now you have a make shift buffet station that they set up and take down every day with 12 ...count em 12 choices on the menu. (excluding juices/fruits/yogurt type stuff) And if the 12 they had tasted good, I would not have complained, but they did not.

Lunch was so-so we only ate at the restaurant once becuase they were so slow it was sick. So the other days I just ordered ceviche by the pool. If you were going to wait that long at least you were in your very comfy pool chair. I did tip the staff to try to expediate things, they were very cordial but still slow.

Only one bar is open during the day. The 2nd one opens at 3:00pm.The guy they had behind the bar during the day (who was not a bartender in any way shape or form) argued with me everytime I asked for something alittle different. For instance... less lime and sour mix in my margaritas. Trust me kid at 43 years of age I know how a drink should taste and it was not the way he made it.

I have to admit I emailed my travel agent after 2 1/2 days and told her to get me the hecht outta here. She did and we moved to another property for the remainder of our 5 days. But Secrets management was anything but cordial about it. They actually denied us after the 1st request which is how desperate they are to keep people. Thank goodness I did not take no for an answer.

Sorry for such a disappointing review.

if you are going to go here...I would recommend waiting a year until they grasp the concept of what the expectations of this property are supposed to be. If corporate is reading this, my first thought would be to bring the star staff from other properties down and show/teach all the current employees how this hotel should be run.

P.S. Next time we go to Cabo (and we will return) I will listen to my fellow TA people and not stay at an all inclusive. There are so many options in either town.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank leesa681
Reviewed 13 March 2012

We were greeted by friendly front desk staff. (no welcome cocktails very low key check in) Our room was not ready so we left our bags at front desk and walked around the resort taking in the views of the sea of Cortez.

We were escorted to our room with a little run down on what's available. We stayed at the junior suit which was clean,tastefully decorated,jetted tub,walk in shower,double vanity. We had a balcony with a great veiw of the ocean where at this time of year you can watch pods of whales daily (amazing)

Pool area has lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. Main pool is never used as its very cold however the other two infinity pools looking out over ocean are great and pleasant to swim in. Pool service is good staff go out of there way to serve you.

As this resort is still under renovations only 2 resturaunts are available and one bar. We found service in resturaunts very good however there is room for improvement on choice and qaulity of meals, don't get me wrong it's not poor qaulity but it's not 5 Star qaulity yet.

We had a great holiday at this resort but it's a long way from renovations being complete. If you book your holiday here
I'm positive you will have a wonderful time especially if you want a very quite relaxing time. Keep in mind there going through a lot of changes so be patient.

• Stayed: March 2012