Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Chula Vista, California
“Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

Wish I was still there! This hotel is simply amazing! The front desk, concierge and bell staff are all outstanding and more than eager to help you with anything you need. The bartenders, servers and pool attendants are very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Had a chance to use the spa..my massage was so relaxing and the overall feel of the spa was pure tranquility - just what the Dr. ordered! The room was gorgeous with breathtaking views and the bathroom was equally as beautiful as the room. A sweet little breakfast appetizer of fresh fruit, pan dulce and coffee are waiting for you at your door every morning - yum! The food in all of the restaurants and at the pool is delicious and the drinks were great too- loved it all. I could literally lay at the pool all day and never get tired of the view (or the drinks!). Everything about this hotel is incredible - I'm ready to book my next trip back!
A special shout out to Francisco and Carlos at the pool for remembering us by name and our fav drinks!

5 Thank CChussong

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We arrived on Friday evening on April 20th, 2012 and had the trip of a lifetime!!!! This was the best birthday and week of my entire life!!!

I did not want to leave the resort ever! We stayed in a BIG casita, had our own living and dining room, kitchenette, balcony, top deck, outdoor lounge area, and pool! I was greeted with a "Happy Birthday" banner on my door when I arrived. When I opened the fridge in our kitchenette there was a birthday dessert waiting for me! The staff really pay attention to detail! The view from our room was amazing! The beach was beautiful and clean. We even saw fish jumping out of the water! I watched the sunrise and set from my balcony everyday and enjoyed listening to the crashing water and watching the huge waves. There were 3 phones in our casita. We even had wifi in our room as well. You could even use the internet by the pool!

The food was amazing, beautifully presented each and every single time! I loved the ceviche, almond croissants, labrioche, onion bun, calamari, fish tacos, potato salad, omelettes, coffee mousse and chilaquellas! The mudslides were so good! The green drink I ordered for breakfast every morning was refreshing! I even learned how to make ceviche and guacamole while I was there!

All of the staff were exceptional!!! They catered to us so well! Vania, Pablo, Liliana, Ivan, Salvador, Roberto, Miriam, and everyone else that served us!
Vania was so accomodating. She showed us to our room, greeted us when we arrived, checked up on us to make sure we were having an amazing time. She was so helpful! Pablo was the best server ever! He was so attentive!

Everyday coffee was delivered to our room, along with fruit, and sweet breads! Our room was restocked with alcohol, chips chocolate and nuts every single day! Our casita was cleaned twice a day! Linens and towels were refreshed daily! Even our pool and lounge area and balcony were cleaned every single day! They pay attention to every detail!

This resort was adults only! It was quiet and relaxing!

Do not listen to any negative reviews on trip advisor about this site! I would go back again to Secrets Marquis in a heartbeat! I can't wait!!!! :-)

Room Tip: Get a casita! We were in room 803 and had a beautiful view! The bedroom and dining room had slidin...
4 Thank Sheryl R
Calabasas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Our 1 year wedding anniversary trip.

We arrived to the hotel in the afternoon. We were offered a cool towel for our hands and a yummy cup of refreshing green tea. Next up check in and our room. We booked an ocean front suite with an upgrade. The upgrade was to a Casitas, much to our surprise. It was a huge amount of space, 2 bathrooms, seperate living and dining area, dunk pool suite and lots of privacy. It was like a 1 bedroom apartment. Our bed had a welcome note on it written in bogenvia flowers and leaves. Beautiful!

The service at the hotel was very good. The staff very attentive, warm and courteous. Food was better than anticipated. We were surprisingly pleased with it. Drinks were a little on the weak side unless of course you ordered beer or wine. They also serve you a little continental treat every morning to the nook outisde of your room. Coffee, mexican pastries and a small amount of fruit. The room had a microwave thank goodness to heat up the coffee. Microwave and mid size refrigerator too.

They had daily activites planned starting at 9:00 ending at 7:00 PM. Yoga, stretching, salsa lessons, beach walks, cooking classes, tequila tasting, black jack night, live singer, guitar at night, movie night etc

One of our complaints was that they were doing some renovation right outisde of our Casitas which started at about 7 AM every workday, not Sunday. We complained 3 times at which the complaint was only addressed after the 3rd time. Who wants to be woken up at 7AM on a ralaxing vacation?. Also request more water for your room. We didn't have enough for our liking.

Be prepared for taxi fare if you want to go into town often. About $25 each way to Cabo, $20 to San Jose. Our recommedn is to rent a car for the day. If you want to sit at the pool and realx all day this is the place. IF youwant to party it up every day get a hotel closer to downtown.

The hotel was about 20% booked at our time of visit; which worked out well for us. We didn't have to wait for any meal service and the servive that we received was wonderful.

5 Thank jennhall71
Edmonton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I spent one week at the end of March at this resort. We were a little worried as the ownership had just changed hands in November and the reviews overall were not too flatering. We have stayed a number of 5 star all inclusive resort and this one is not there yet.

Pros:

The resort was not overly full so no issues with getting a chair by one of the pools. It was very quiet.
Room was great. It had everything we wanted and then some. TV is dated but no issues there.
All of the standard rooms have a view of the Sea of Cortez and we spent each morning just sitting on the balcony and listening to the waves.

Cons:

If you are looking for a swimable beach this is not the resort for you. The undertow is extreme and the waves unpredictable. I am a very good swimmer and I did not venture into the water in front of the resort. This is same for most of the resorts in the Coridor. The Hilton just a short 15 minute walk has a small cove where you can swim but even there the waves were at least 3 - 4 ft tall.

Inprovements:

Being under new management was very evident. The food was very good but insonsistant in its flavours. Some days it was well seasoned and others just plain bland.
They only had 3 restaurants open and all had a limited menu. They were opening up a new coffe bar/restaurant the Monday after we left and the Asian restaurant will be finished this summer.
The service was also insconsistent and it seemed like they were training staff while we were there. Having said that, if you had an issue all you had to do is bring it to the attention of the supervisor and everything was taken care of quickly.
Room service was also inconsistent. The time that the maid service happened varied through our week and one night we did not even get turn down service.
The entertainment was very simple - a guitar guy playing jazz and alternating nights they had a Mexican singer but no shows to speak of.

Overall: The resort has some improvements to before we will return. We had a great week and will return in a few years as we have had good experiences at other Secrets.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MaxBS
Calgary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

We were "moved" to this hotel from Dreams due to over booking (see Dreams review). The first couple of days of our 10 night stay were fantastic. Great service, excellent food, a number of restaurants to chose from. The hotel appeared busy, but not overcrowded. We noted that most of the guests were government officials of one kind or another, and were informed that they were pre-scouting teams for the upcoming June G7 conference. By the third day of our stay they had all left, and the hotel changed completely. Staff disappeared, service became indifferent, and all the restaurants closed except for the "main" dining room, poolside grill (lunch only), and the small fixed-menu boutique restaurant (evening). The hotel became a proverbial ghost property. It couldn't have been more than 25% occupied. The limited menus did not change, and the only buffet offered was breakfast, with little or no variation from day to day. The quality of whatever food was available became hit-and miss. Since this was an all-inclusive package, food quality and selection was an important part of our vacation. We even ordered room service one evening even though it was the same menu as the dining room, just to have a different view! Other issues abounded, but suffice it to say that by the middle of our stay we were looking forward to going back home. We would have never stepped on the plane in Calgary had we known what was in store.

We are pursuing legal action to recover the cost of the vacation from our agent and/or the booking company (Holiday House).

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CalgaryCaboTraveller
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Don't believe the bad reviews, we have been in many 5 stars resorts in Carabeans, Mexico and Asia and we can tell that this place is superb. Beautiful hotel and landscape, great food and excellent service. It is quiet and raffined.

5 Thank beringerv
Weston, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I stayed at Secrets the first week of January with my husband and 2 sons, but just got around to writing my review now since I travel quite freguently and have been to approximately 10 other hotels since my stay at Secrets Marquis, all of them all-inclusives in Los Cabos, Riviera Maya and Punta Cana so I believe I have a good basis for comparison.

Secrets is tied for best hotel that I've stayed at recently with Zoetry Paraiso Del Mar, and certainly the best in its price range. It is the most luxurious of any Secrets Resort I've visited and the food is the best. Were there only 2 restaurants to choose from (well, no, 3 actually if you count the pool bar), but the food is exceptional. I go to some of the best restaurants in NYC and the restaurants here were as good if not better than most. I loved that there is no buffet - for breakfast I asked for salsa verde and pico di gallo with my eggs - they made it from scratch and it was delicious. The pesto risotto was incredible - who knew?

Was it quiet? Yes it was, blissfully so, but people gathered in the lounge area for pre and post dinner cocktails and they organized poker games. Most other guests were friendly and content to mingle and enjoy each others company. My sons are in college and even they appreciated the atmosphere and great food.

The rooms are stunning with very high quality furnishings. We had connecting suites but I noticed that the mirrors and lighting were different in our suites and our sons - no cookie cutter rooms here. The linens were very high quality and everything about the room was suitable for a 5 star resort. This was not a cheaply built resort.

If I would change anything, it would be the entrance. The sign out front is just plain ugly, as is the facade, but once you're in the lobby and beyond, it's gorgeous. Also the gym is massive - bigger than mine at home.

This is not your ordinary Secrets, and in my opinion, that's a good thing. If you're the type who needs campy entertainment, an "animation" team, a disco and pool games to enjoy a resort, Secrets Marquis is not for you, but if you dislike buffets, enjoy fine dining, elegant surroundings and a relaxing friendly environment, then go here before the rates go up, because when the secrets about this Secrets gets out - they will.

Room Tip: All rooms have great views but 4th and 5th floors are best, especially those located at the center o...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,108 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,995 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!