“Good resort hotel, shame to be on such a dangerous beach”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I spent three days at this hotel for business. The location has a beautiful view, and the hotel is built to take maximum advantage of the location. My standard room was roomy with good decor and a great view of the water. The service was very good.

The food was above average. The buffet breakfast was dependable and the dinner was unremarkable but well prepared. The choices were limited. The upscale restaurant was tiny and we could never get in. I did not use the spa.

You can walk on the beach if you are careful, but cannot swim.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank bbanks945
Write a ReviewReviews (2,071)

Reviewed 8 May 2012

The resort is beautiful and well-maintained. Rooms were spacious and clean. Staff were excellent, very attentive.
Every morning they deliver a breakfast of fruit and pastries with a pot of coffee to your door. One night I ordered room service for dinner and it arrived within the time promised and was great. I was only there for 3 nights but never had a bad meal. The bar area was a great place to sit in the evening and you could even order food from the restaurant at the bar.
On the downside this is not the place to be if you want a lot of activities. The main activity during the day is sitting by the pool -- when I was there few people even went in the pool. I did not use the spa but did use the fitness center, which I usually had to myself. The equipment was adequate but could use some updating.
I was there on business and found the resort to be a great place to spend a few days. If you want a quiet place with great service than you'll be happy at Secrets but if you want a resort with a lot of activities this is not the place.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the 600s -- they are on the bottom floor not the top and look out on the casitas...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank ectraveller12
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We arrived at Secrets MLC April 21 for a week. Usually go to the Caribbean side, but thought a change would be good! It is a beautiful location with desert on one side the Sea of Cortez on the other!
This hotel bills itself as an Unlimited Luxury 5 star resort, I am sorry to say it is not there right now! When you say you have or will have more restaurants and bars open in Spring (we were advised the Coco Cafe and Barefoot Grill would be open when we arrived!) then do that!
If it wasn't for the wonderful staff who tried so hard to cover the shortcomings of the hotel it would have been a 3 star experience! The hotel was 15% full (advised by a staff member) which accounts for everyone having great service, and would hope this would continue when they get busier.
Food was mediocre at best compared with other 5 star resorts I have been too, when they had what you wanted which was sometimes hit and miss! Maybe with more choice in restaurants this will get better!
The 4 Diamond restaurant has very limited menu and first night 3 of the main selections where not available and that went on for the week! Very limited breakfast buffet, but you do have an ala carte choice. Vista Ballenas (Main Restaurant for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) has the same menu for both lunch and dinner! Dos Mares is nice, but closes one day a week right now.
One bar for the entire hotel...really! If they were at anything other than 15% full would have been impossible to handle the guests. They did have a makeshift bar down by the pool but it was closed at night, and through the day it was hit and miss for them having your drink order, but the staff were great and very attentive. Just as we were leaving they had started to clean up and paint what I assume will be Barefoot Grill and there was limited activity in either Coco Cafe or the Asian themed Spice.
Booked a Spa treatment, when went they had no record and the jackhammers where pounding right through the Spa...didn't stay around for that!
Los Cabos is a $50 round trip taxi ride, but worth it if you want to do something different.
Went to Zoetry (sister hotel) one night very nice dinner, but they should have a shuttle so you don't have to keep paying for taxis!
Overall, really enjoyed not having to play the towel game at the pool as it was so quite, great staff and always very helpful, rooms are lovely and great views, beach is quiet, but no swimming. The main negatives for us were lack of good quality dining and bars. Also, the haven't upgraded the furniture at all in restaurants and one bar and the furniture is quite stained and worn. I am sure when they finally get all the facilities opened and have done some renovating of existing it will be a true 5 star....just not right now.

Room Tip: We had an upgrade to 5th Floor and it is worth it, but all rooms have great views except on the 2n...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank VinoBlanca
Reviewed 3 May 2012

On the heels of an amazing but short stay at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos I can highly recommend this spot as an upscale oasis that serves up the best in barefoot luxury. The setting is stunning-rising out of the rocks flanked by the stark beauty of the desert and overlooking the wildly restless Sea of Cortes where whale-spotting from the all-ocean view rooms is a breeze during their mating season. But the spectacular sculptures peppered throughout and the unique open-air architecture also compete for your undivided attention. There are so many intriguing vistas and arty angles to capture that it's almost impossible to have one photo that truly represents being there.

The view from my fifth floor room was a sweeping panorama of the sea and the cliffs, and down upon the private casitas that have dipping pools and terraces on their roofs. Service was impeccable, and food was great, lots of fusion Mexican and international choices, all included as was top shelf spirits and wine. The spa is also a wonderful oasis with separate whirlpools by the sea, I had an aromatic massage that laid me out into total bliss. I also really enjoyed the massive whirlpool tub in my room where you can view the sea below your balcony while soaking in it.

This is not a party hearty spot, but a civilized sojourn from stress retreat, and the constant beating background of the surf upon the sand also helps melt away any residual tensions. You cannot swim right in front of the resort as the current is too strong, but if you walk a few minutes down the beach ( all beaches there are public) you will find a protected bay where you can. But there are many gorgeous infinity pools right on the sea where you can immerse almost on top of the waves.

On the other side of the resort, just a few minute walk away, you will find George Clooney's beach house, alas he was not there while I was, I hear Robert de Niro and Jennifer Anniston also have houses close by. This resort is very popular with VIPs and celebs seeking a quiet and classy getaway, and they were slated to act as a host for many of the visiting dignitaries who were to attend the upcoming G20 conference. Though I was only there a few days, I left totally refreshed, relaxed and very impressed. I will return.

Room Tip: All rooms are ocean front. There are no bad rooms. Private casitas are available for a higher cost.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank suectravel
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Wish I was still there! This hotel is simply amazing! The front desk, concierge and bell staff are all outstanding and more than eager to help you with anything you need. The bartenders, servers and pool attendants are very attentive, knowledgeable and friendly. Had a chance to use the spa..my massage was so relaxing and the overall feel of the spa was pure tranquility - just what the Dr. ordered! The room was gorgeous with breathtaking views and the bathroom was equally as beautiful as the room. A sweet little breakfast appetizer of fresh fruit, pan dulce and coffee are waiting for you at your door every morning - yum! The food in all of the restaurants and at the pool is delicious and the drinks were great too- loved it all. I could literally lay at the pool all day and never get tired of the view (or the drinks!). Everything about this hotel is incredible - I'm ready to book my next trip back!
A special shout out to Francisco and Carlos at the pool for remembering us by name and our fav drinks!

5  Thank CChussong
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We arrived on Friday evening on April 20th, 2012 and had the trip of a lifetime!!!! This was the best birthday and week of my entire life!!!

I did not want to leave the resort ever! We stayed in a BIG casita, had our own living and dining room, kitchenette, balcony, top deck, outdoor lounge area, and pool! I was greeted with a "Happy Birthday" banner on my door when I arrived. When I opened the fridge in our kitchenette there was a birthday dessert waiting for me! The staff really pay attention to detail! The view from our room was amazing! The beach was beautiful and clean. We even saw fish jumping out of the water! I watched the sunrise and set from my balcony everyday and enjoyed listening to the crashing water and watching the huge waves. There were 3 phones in our casita. We even had wifi in our room as well. You could even use the internet by the pool!

The food was amazing, beautifully presented each and every single time! I loved the ceviche, almond croissants, labrioche, onion bun, calamari, fish tacos, potato salad, omelettes, coffee mousse and chilaquellas! The mudslides were so good! The green drink I ordered for breakfast every morning was refreshing! I even learned how to make ceviche and guacamole while I was there!

All of the staff were exceptional!!! They catered to us so well! Vania, Pablo, Liliana, Ivan, Salvador, Roberto, Miriam, and everyone else that served us!
Vania was so accomodating. She showed us to our room, greeted us when we arrived, checked up on us to make sure we were having an amazing time. She was so helpful! Pablo was the best server ever! He was so attentive!

Everyday coffee was delivered to our room, along with fruit, and sweet breads! Our room was restocked with alcohol, chips chocolate and nuts every single day! Our casita was cleaned twice a day! Linens and towels were refreshed daily! Even our pool and lounge area and balcony were cleaned every single day! They pay attention to every detail!

This resort was adults only! It was quiet and relaxing!

Do not listen to any negative reviews on trip advisor about this site! I would go back again to Secrets Marquis in a heartbeat! I can't wait!!!! :-)

Room Tip: Get a casita! We were in room 803 and had a beautiful view! The bedroom and dining room had slidin...
4  Thank Sheryl R
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Our 1 year wedding anniversary trip.

We arrived to the hotel in the afternoon. We were offered a cool towel for our hands and a yummy cup of refreshing green tea. Next up check in and our room. We booked an ocean front suite with an upgrade. The upgrade was to a Casitas, much to our surprise. It was a huge amount of space, 2 bathrooms, seperate living and dining area, dunk pool suite and lots of privacy. It was like a 1 bedroom apartment. Our bed had a welcome note on it written in bogenvia flowers and leaves. Beautiful!

The service at the hotel was very good. The staff very attentive, warm and courteous. Food was better than anticipated. We were surprisingly pleased with it. Drinks were a little on the weak side unless of course you ordered beer or wine. They also serve you a little continental treat every morning to the nook outisde of your room. Coffee, mexican pastries and a small amount of fruit. The room had a microwave thank goodness to heat up the coffee. Microwave and mid size refrigerator too.

They had daily activites planned starting at 9:00 ending at 7:00 PM. Yoga, stretching, salsa lessons, beach walks, cooking classes, tequila tasting, black jack night, live singer, guitar at night, movie night etc

One of our complaints was that they were doing some renovation right outisde of our Casitas which started at about 7 AM every workday, not Sunday. We complained 3 times at which the complaint was only addressed after the 3rd time. Who wants to be woken up at 7AM on a ralaxing vacation?. Also request more water for your room. We didn't have enough for our liking.

Be prepared for taxi fare if you want to go into town often. About $25 each way to Cabo, $20 to San Jose. Our recommedn is to rent a car for the day. If you want to sit at the pool and realx all day this is the place. IF youwant to party it up every day get a hotel closer to downtown.

The hotel was about 20% booked at our time of visit; which worked out well for us. We didn't have to wait for any meal service and the servive that we received was wonderful.

5  Thank jennhall71