“Beautiful location, nice resort, but....”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Lexington, NC
“Beautiful location, nice resort, but....”
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Hubby and I just got back 7-28-12 after a very relaxing week at this resort...and my but...is just that, nothing but relaxing to do at this resort. Don't get me wrong, we love to relax and get away from it all, but when we get ready to break the monotony and see a show, or participate in some fun activity or look forward to a planned event at night besides karaoke or casino nite, it would have been nice to have that offered by the resort. Please don't misunderstand me, this is a very nice resort, I've been to a lot of resorts and I have never seen a more breathtaking infinity pool. I uploaded a photo of it of 1 of the 2 infinity pools. It literally looked like it spilled into the pacific ocean. BTW, the part of the pacific ocean that this resort rests on is absolutely amazing and dangerous at the same time. So dangerous in fact, that they do not allow swimming in it. But for us, as long as we are near and can smell and hear the ocean, we are not bothered by not being able to get in. But, if getting in is your thing, there are areas further up the beach that are calm enough for getting in. The service poolside was wonderful. The waiters were very attentive and you definately felt pampered. Also, realize that the hotel was around 50-60% full all week, so I can only hope that the service is the same when they are at full capacity. Now to the food...for us it was just OK. In fairness and to help you put things in perspective about our opinion of the food...we do not eat beef nor pork, which limits what we can try. I heard from other guests that the steak in the french restaurant was good, but the seafood and the rest of the food that we had was just OK. They go out of their way to make the meals and the experience fancy and high end (which is all well and good), but I would much rather have delicious food. My only other complaints about the food was that the service in all of the restaurants (there were 4, with only 3 opened each night), the service was just toooooo slow. As I said earlier, the resort was at around 1/2 capacity, so we never understood why the service was at a snails pace. I shudder to think about how it would have been if there were more guests at the resort. Maybe they would have had more help, I don't know. Room service was much faster than going to the restaurant getting the food yourself, which is what we did a lot and it was usually good. The rooms are nicely decorated and the bed, while on the hard side, was comfortable for us. The bathrooms were comfortable and nicely decorated (very modern). Housekeeping was very good, thorough and consistent. While we were there, we were told that they were working on opening a Japanese restaurant later this year, as well as a disco (which will provide a little more entertainment). Overall, we had a wonderful time in Cabo. The infrastructure there is a lot better than most Mexican towns that we have visited and we felt very safe there (even riding the public bus, which was 17 pesos (thats less than $2), rather than a $20-$25 cab ride for 20 minutes into Cabo San Lucas). Once this resort steps up the restaurants and the entertainment, it will go from very good to excellent.

Room Tip: Don't let them fool you into thinking that oceanfront is an upgrade...all of the regular (non-ca...
5 Thank XavierNC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Korean first
indianapolis
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Took us a whole week of deciding where to pick a vacation place
Finally after many long nights and endless arguments with husband and daughter decided to pick Secrets Marquis
I have to say just WAO!!!!
Never have I seen my husband so happy and content
Service top of the line
Rooms exquisite
Treatment royalty
Food equivalent to having private chef
And not to say that we are not picky but definitely a true luxury

Room Tip: Pick the front beach junior suite
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank hala n
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at Secrets Marquis for 4 nights. We were very impressed with the cleanliness and hotel's service, everyone was exceptionally nice. Some of the hotel's architecture and style is gorgeous. We loved the pool. The food was pretty good quality, but for an all inclusive hotel, I believe there should be more options of places to dine. One of the upscale restaurants was closed the whole time we were there. We also wish the wifi wasn't so expensive ($15/day). Other than than we had an amazing time and would definitely visit again.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 July 2012

After a nightmare of a start to our honeymoon at another resort (check our other reviews), this place welcomed us with open arms and an open room (thank goodness!).

I can't speak high of enough of a management trickle down effect. The management knows that a place this well put together is a place that will sell itself in the time share market. That's why no one mentions to you about buying some sort of time share, because after a day there, you'll be asking!

Service. The constant questions we got asked was "is there any more that you like?" "what else?" "Another piña colada?". They always sought to offer you more. The staff were the most wonderful people we have ever met.

Food. Oh my goodness. No matter where you went it would be one of the best meals we ever had! The sea bass was my preferred favorite with all their different variations of preparing it. The french restaurant full meal was also an every other night occasion for us. Even room service at 1230 was a hit! They know how to serve you.

Rooms. Whoa! Beautiful room with an even more beautiful view. Twice a day cleaning service. Great utilities! A harry potter door that had fresh coffee, pastries and fruit in it every morning! Great king size mattress that felt cleaner than anything I've slept on.

Obviously we loved the trip. The slight hold back was this place was a lot more than our initial resort, but we didn't look back once. The value is there and above for the price you put down. We've tried other places and talked to others who tried other resorts, and overwhelmingly this place had it together.

The spa was pretty good, not a highlight, but still nice.

Cabo is a great vacation spot, but because of this place and this place alone, we want to go back. We decided we're coming back after being there for about 8 hours. Message me if you have any more questions. I'll recommend this place time and again.

5 Thank John S
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend. The resort recently became an all inclusive property under the Secrets brand. They have done a marvelous job at the boutique, adults only, all inclusive property. It is not made for the "masses". It is a quiet place for adults to get away and relax at the beautiful infinity pools, spa and fine restaurants without the crowded buffet lines at a typical all inclusive. All suites are ocean view with balconies! The service was very, very good. Sitting by the pool, drinks and lunch are served by the waitstaff. If you want to splurge a little more, try one of the Casitas with a private plunge pool. Really beautiful units! It is very romantic and I saw private dinners on the beach each night for different couples. Looks like a fantastic spot for a honeymoon. If you want the noise and nightlife, Cabo San Lucas is a 10 minute cab ride away.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Ateam_PA
Sulphur, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 July 2012

This was our first trip to Los Cabos. We have been to our fair amount of beaches... Jamaica, Cancun, Dominican, Italy (postanio), and a handful others. I must say that I was very impressed. I went there with my husband, sister and brother in law to celebrate my 50th birthday.
I am going to start with the negative because it will be quite short and not a big issue but may be for others. First the beach is BEAUTIFUL but you cant swim there, there are rocks and the surf is very dangerous. I was not aware of the NO SWIMMING when I went there but again...not a isssue for us because we usually dont get in the water at the beach. Second, a good 20 min drive to get to town and do any shopping or dining. With a resort so nice, you really dont need to go anywhere else!
Now, with that aside....the place was simply amazing. Beautiful property set on a beautiful beach. Being a "all-inclusive" you never know about the food. Usually it is the same buffet everyday with very little changes . Not at Secrets Marquis. The only buffet is breakfast (also can order from the menu). The rest of the dining was off a menu with wonderful selections and as tasty as you would have at any fine restaurant. The French restaurant was out of the world. They go out of the way to make sure you want for nothing. We went in July and it was a slow time for the Resort which meant we never had to wait for anything.
We went to the Fitness area a few times and they have the largest selection of equipment of any fitness room at a "all-inclusive" that I have been to.
My husband had a massage, He did say it was just okay...nothing special.
The pool area is huge and spans the entire length of the resort.
I usually do not repeat a vacation because there is just too much to see in this lifetime, but I will be making a return trip to Los Cabos Secrets Marquis for sure.
Added note: Maricio was the best waiter at the pool area, he made out trip special everyday

Room Tip: Ask for a room on 4th or 5th floor for the best view
11 Thank cajun1882
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My boyfriend & I stayed at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos from 7/18/12 to 7/22/12. This was our first trip to Los Cabos, so we had no idea what to expect. We are so delighted to report that Secrets Marquis Los Cabos was simply amazing. The resort is beautiful, the staff is extremely friendly and accommodating, and we would definitely recommend this resort to any potential guests. Our room was cleaned 3 times a day, and the property itself was very clean!!! The Guests Services Staff was friendly, but three representatives stood out. DAVID, VANNIA, AND CARLOS really made our trip special. They went "above and beyond the call of duty" to make sure that we were comfortable and were having a good time throughout our trip. They made our trip memorable, and we are truly appreciative for that. This was our first time booking an all-inclusive trip, and to our surprise, we got our money's worth. The wait staff was friendly, and the food was delicious at all of the on-site restaurants (our favorite waiters were Josimar, Alberto & Antonio). There were scheduled activities throughout the day and night for hotel guests, and we hated to leave the property when we went into town to shop. On your first day of arrival, you need to make sure that you contact the Concierge’ to make dinner reservations at Zoetry and Dreams (Secrets sister properties). The food at Zoetry was excellent, and we were served dinner on the beach by candlelight (very romantic). Our experience at Dreams was nice, but we were not thrilled about eating outdoors at Oceania Restaurant. It was just too hot for that (95 degrees). The food was okay. Dreams was a nice hotel, but we did not like the fact that there were unsupervised children running around the property screaming and playing at 10 o'clock at night. We are so glad that we decided to stay at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos over Dreams. Secrets was an all-adult resort, and we did not see any children throughout our stay. Don't get me wrong, we love kids (we have some ourselves), but while on vacation, we wanted to be able to relax without them, and our wish was granted. Trust me when I tell you that Secrets Marquis Los Cabos is the place to stay, and while in the city, you must make dinner reservations at EDITH'S RESTAURANT (http://www.edithscabo.com/). The ambience, the wait staff, and the food were excellent!!!

Room Tip: Book at Oceanview room. You can see the pools, and the ocean from your room.
4 Thank Lon N
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#8 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#12 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
Grand Fiesta Americana Los Cabos All Inclusive Golf & Spa
Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda del Mar

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!