“Check your mattress”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Check in was good we went to our room which was overlooking the luxury suites with their own pool so our view was overtop of a lot of buildings. My husband checked the mattress at the bottom and said all was good. However when we went to bed that night I said it felt really damp! He said he didn't feel anything. Upon waking in the morning the sheets were pulled up so I took them off and was disgusted at the stains all over the mattress. It looked like somebody had diarrhea while sitting (on my side of the bed it travelled down the side and onto the bed skirt). I was horrified that I had slept on it all night. We went to the front desk at about 8:00a.m. We showed the front desk girl out photo and she didn't seem to worried and said she would get the manager to come when he got in at 9 a.m. At 11:15 we went back to our room nobody had been there yet so we got the person restocking the beverages to call we waited for over 30 minutes then the manager came and said the mattress looked like that because they get them professionally cleaned and said it was a water stain!!!! My husband stated that excuse might work on some people but were not buying it. So they took the whole day but finally got us a different mattress! The food was good but not excellent, the pools were wonderful and all the staff except the girl at the front desk were over the top friendly. The spa was ok definitely not anywhere near the caliber of the Secrets in Huatulco! The staff definitely made our trip better.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tarvelbud
Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We've stayed at AM Resorts in the past, first time in Cabo!
We've always enjoyed the Secrests all inclusive resorts throughout Mexico and the Caribbean, Marquis lacked a little bit if the polish that the other Secrets resorts have!! For example: there was a problem with flies in the restaurants, also there needed to be more of an up keep with the facility like cracked walls and some touch up painting!!
The food was great and the staff was awesome like always!!
For those reasons we might consider coming back but for a much less expensive rate!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I spent 5 days here in late September, and couldn't have been happier.

Service:
The service was excellent, exceeded expectations. The staff was so friendly and happy, and was always available. The waiters at the pool all asked us our names, and used them through our stay. It was sad to say goodbye to a couple of them because we had spent so much time together. My wife can speak Spanish fairly well, so the staff was encouraging/testing her at all times. I'm just learning, so they were eager to help me as well. On our last night, we saw the pool manager Jose still working at dinner and asked him how long his shift was. He replied "I should have been off an hour ago, but there are still customers here that need my assistance" What dedication. Erick at the pool was great, as was Diego at reception, Diana at the concierge desk, and Alicia and Irene in the cafe. I know I am missing a few others, so I apologize.

The food was pretty good. We ate at the cafe, the seafood place, and the grill while we were there. We are not foodies, so we didn't go to the french or sushi places. Service was always great. The drinks were certainly not watered down.

Rooms
The shower is huge, and the view was great. Bed was a little hard, but still comfortable. I know they are upgrading the TVs, but since it is on for 10 minutes a day (why would you watch TV here?), who cares. They bring rolls and coffee every morning. Timing of it was fine for us.
The road is close to the resort, so you can hear a little road noise. A towel under the door fixes that.

We took the bus into San Jose one day to shop and see the sights. This was really easy, especially because my wife can speak Spanish well. It is much cheaper than a taxi ($4 vs $25) each way. Most locals use the bus all the time, and many employees of the resorts and stores use it to get to work. The locals are very friendly and helpful. The guard at the gate will help you get on the right bus there. On the way back, you can check with either a local or the driver for the right bus. They are not well marked like buses in the US. The town is cute, and has an art district just on the north side of the plaza. About a 6 block walk from the bus stop.

Earlier this year we stayed at the Pueblo Bonito Pacifica (the other all-adult resort). We liked that a lot, but Secrets was better in most ways. We will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have better ocean views.
2  Thank mgizmo
Reviewed 27 September 2013

After just returning from 6 nights my girlfriend and I had mixed thoughts on our stay.

Accommodation is great, fantastic view and rooms were good (maybe a little tired ie old school tv not that we used it). No issues for us with turndown if we were in the room we just asked them to come back and they did.

Pool was excellent, great view over the beach and ocean.

Service was very hit and miss, the first night at the Italian restaurant we ordered drinks which never came after waiting over 40 minutes. Numerous times at the pool you could wait 30-45 minutes for a drink, then other times they would be around every 5 minutes asking you for another one. The service at Spice was excellent. The staff overall were very friendly however and happy to help.

Food was very disappointing. Italian was ok, Seafood average, Spice (Japanese) excellent, breakfast ok, French... well we were warned by about 10 people not to bother so we didn't. The food in the buffet's, pool service and room service was almost always cold, it comes quick but could do with a minute in the microwave. Similar to some other reviews we also go sick halfway through, I would assume this is from the food.

Overall we had a lot of fun however for the price you're probably not getting the service and quality expected.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I met with my travel agent and laid out a few parameters for our trip in August to Cabo. I wanted a resort that: #1 was 18 and over, #2 has top shelf alcoholic beverages & #3 was gorgeous. My travela gent recommended this resort. After looking on TripAdvisor for some real reviews, all 8 of us decided to book.

The resort is amazing. The checkin area is a large open archway, just awsome. Perfect breeze comes through and you get a chance to get soem great views of the resort. All of the standard room are ocean views. The larger casitas have somewhat of an ocean view, but their roof top pools and large updated inside make up for it. We stayed in a standard room, which was perfect for what we needed. Blacony, large bed and bathroom and a separate jacuzzi tub.

Down at the pool is where we sp-ent most of our time. It is an infinity pool which stretches arcoss the ocean side of the resort. Plenty of seating and the food/drinks keep coming. Our favorite waiters were Adrian and Erik. Being a Vodka drinker myself, I was happy to see Grey Goose, Kettle 1 and Stoli. The pool and resort being no kids allowed was really nice and relaxing. Picture Perfect.

The food was great as well. My two favorite things were the Teppan Grill and the fact that I could have avocado any time I wanted. 3am after partying with friends omlette with a side of avocado, no problem for them at all. 24/7 the food rolls out and they will even bring you beer to the room.

Here is the thing you need to ask yourself when comparing resorts. Do you want to spend a little extra for a great resort, peace from kids running and screaming, top shelf food and booze? Then this is the palce.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ken M
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Went to secrets 9/14-921/13. Everything was as billed. Beautiful resort and great food. Pool service was fantastic. A little tip does go a long way with these guys. They do remember you. Same with the maid service, prompt and fast and I left a couple bucks a day. The restraunts weren't crowded and the food was great. Yep, Spice is the good one.

Vendors on the beach will give you real good deals if you haggle and we did a horseback ride on the beach for $40 for 2 of us and they let us run the horses. It was awesome. Don't be afraid to take the bus. $2 each way per person and doesn't take any longer than a cab does. You can get picked up right across the street and dropped off at the resort. BE CAREFUL crossing the highway. No crosswalks and they drive fast!

The coffee delivery in the morning is awesome. I'm an early riser so my coffee was always hot and the fruit and danishes were a great way to get the day started. WIFI works great if you want to use it.

Beachwalks both ways are really nice and the pounding surf is wonderful to listen to from your room. All rooms are great and have an ocean view, so no need to upgrade. I did have the pillow top cover put on the bed and it was great as well.

The only thing I would suggest of this resort and any other resort; especially the adult only resorts is that an inside, air conditioned bar would be great. An easy atmosphere like a sports bar with good seating is great. Open air bars are simply too hot, especially for the ladies who want to clean up and do their hair in the evenings. The outside bars are done very well, but having the option to sit inside when it's hot would be nice.

Overall, I'd go again. The people are wonderful. Cabo San Lucas is about a 20 minute ride and it's clean and the people are easy to communicate with.

Room Tip: Be nice at check in. A nice tip will get you an oceanfront room in the middle of the hotel with eas...
4  Thank scott2833388
Reviewed 25 September 2013

My wife and I went there for a 5 day getaway. It was fantastic. The pools were a little warm but the view, ambiance, staff, etc were all great. We rode horses on the beach and the staff was always pretty friendly. The pool staff was always willing and available to grab drinks, food etc. We really enjoyed the casita and the private pool.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Casitas and they were great.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Allan F
Ankara A, General Manager at Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank so much for your great review about Secrets Marquis.
We really appreciate your kind words, and we are honored to hear that you have had a wonderful getaway in Paradise. Looking forward to hear you are coming back in a near future.
Ankara Angulo.