“Beautiful All-Around!!”

Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 42 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was there for NYE with 9 other friends, and we all had an awesome time. The hotel and pools are beautiful, and the views of the ocean from the rooms were an awesome way to wake up. They even brought coffee and rolls to the room every morning, so I could have coffee and watch the sunrise from our balcony. We played volleyball, did salsa lessons, and had an all around good time. The staff couldn't have been friendlier...particularly Miguel and Miguel. We had lots of laughs with them! The food was good and have I already mentioned the views? I'd definitely recommend this spot for a classy all-inclusive. I'll probably be coming back with the same group again!

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are ocean view...can't go wrong!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,029)

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Just returned from Cabo on January 3rd. Resort is beautiful. Very clean and nicely decorated. Staff is amazing. Food is above average, but we have stayed at other All Inclusive resorts and the food has been much better. Secrets LC seemed to appeal to the masses.

As many have stated it is very quiet. The ambiance in the night time bar could be amped up just a bit. We are 45-50 and it was very dull even for us. Don't always want to catch a cab to go into town.

Walks on the beach are the best part. You can go for hours in either direction. So clean and very few vendors.

Room Tip: We had an Ocean View on 2nd floor. Ours had an amazing view straight out and to the right, but a li...
1  Thank Sushi03
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We had a great time. The staff was wonderful, the food was very good and the entertainment team was super fun. Fernando, Denise and Ferr kept us busy with everything from volleyball to blackjack . Great place to spend our anniversary.

Room Tip: The 4th floor had a fabulous view. We could whale watch from our balcony.
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We decided to take a trip between Christmas and New Years since the Northeast is usually freezing this time of year. We've been to Secrets before, and enjoyed every minute of it, so we picked another Secrets at a different destination, Cabo San Lucas.

We arrived at the airport a little late due to some air traffic over Cabo, then extremely long Customs lines, all due to the holiday. It took us forever to find our hotel transportation, between the people pretending to be from Secrets, or the large mass of people to begin with. However, the most frustrating part was the itinerary Secrets gave us had a name of a different Company we were supposed to look for. Good thing I remembered from our last trip it was Amstar or I still might be waiting looking for Contact Tours. After finding Amstar, we had to wait for an hour before supposedly we couldn't get a shuttle without waiting for other planes to arrive first, seemed pretty ridiculous at the time.

The service was excellent at the Resort, with the caveat of the front desk staff/concierge. Every time we spoke to them they all had an attitude of "oh well" or "figure it out on your own". The pool staff was great, if you wanted a drink you didnt have to wait long, along with the food staff as well. The entertainment team was great as well, constantly searching for people to partake in activities and very friendly. If it wasn't for them the service would not get this high of a rating in my opinion.

The food was pretty subpar, I'm a pretty healthy eater, so if you're into eating healthy at all, this isn't the place for you. The health aspect withstanding, the menu options were minimal at best. Everything with fish was Sea Bass, or the only other option was some sort of chicken. The breakfast spread was significantly less then the other Secrets we previously stayed at. We were there for the New Years Eve celebration, and I will say that was a great spread, a lot of us at the resort wondered where the food had been the whole time we were there (i.e. Lobster, grilled shrimp, chicken meatballs, sushi, variety of different salads, etc). To top it off, we both got a case of Montezumas revenge, myself not as bad as her, but it was either from the uncooked Hibachi we had one night, or the ice. Hard to pin point which one, but it was something from there.

The cleanliness was so so, the rooms were cleaned every day (we'll get to that), although they didn't do too good a job, as there were Seagulls feathers under the bed and sofa I happened to find, and they weren't just a day old. A pretty frustrating part of the trip was the constant cleaning interruption. We're young but early risers, we'd eat breakfast by 730am, by the time we'd get back to grab our pool/beach items in the room, there was a cleaning staff in the room already. To me that is pretty irritating, if I wasn't an early riser, would you come knocking on my door at 830am waking me up to clean the room? Some of us at the resort had the theory they radioed to the cleaning people when you would go down to breakfast or something, it was too eery.

The location is great, every view is spectacular. If you want to swim in the ocean you can go down a mile or so and swim past the Hilton.

The beverage selection was so so, nothing great, nothing bad. They try and push a lot of frozen mixed drinks, only because the actual liquor selection is limited. We believed a lot of the drinks were watered down before hand; if you're a drinker, make sure you ask for double shots in all your drinks as we started to do. We realized it after ordering a flavored vodka and water, and all you could taste was water.

Finally, sleep quality was an absolutely nightmare, no pun intended. I don't think I've slept on a smaller pillow since I was 10, it felt like one that's a sofa prop pillow, along with being rock hard, as was the bed. I couldn't wait to get home to sleep in my own bed.

All in all, if it wasn't for the views, entertainment staff and location of the resort, I'd rate this a lot lower.

3  Thank JCRU1124
Reviewed 6 January 2014

It is a decent, relatively new hotel. It is an adults only, all-inclusive hotel so it's very quiet, and to a certain extent, too quiet. Beach is beautiful but you can't swim there most of the time due to high tide. Food is good but not as good as the other Secrets hotel in Cancun. Overall, good experience, though a 15 min drive to the Marina area. Staff was great!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SFGuy1
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We visited in the end of August 2013.
WOW!!! This is the second time we vacationed at a Secrets Resorts. Oh how we love thee!!! We booked a suite and were upgraded to a Casita with plunge pool, ocean view(STUNNING) since we were getting married and it was available. Impeccable service from check-in, restaurants, poolside, activities and wedding. We couldnt have asked for anything more. We had 16 guests who still talk about how amazing their experience was at Marquis. If you are ready to be taken care of as all of us deserve this is the company to vacation with!!
One negative, the spa. My mother and I had our hair and makeup done and it was a disaster. Major language barrier!!! Besides this, I showed the woman what hairstyle I wanted 3times and still she failed to achieve what I wanted. Honestly, the style was such a simple style too. The woman that took care of my mothers make-up did TERRIBLE. The woman knew NO english, so my lady "tried" to help her by verbalizing what my mother wanted. Well, it was literally 20 min until we needed to be walking down the isle and my stylist finished with me and "re-did" my mothers makeup. Super stressful, no doubt. To any bride out there that might consider services in the spa...you might re-consider unless they have retrained their staff and have better english.
Besides our spa/salon experience everything else was AMAZING!!

Room Tip: ocean view casita with private plunge pool --it was facing the end of infinity pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Was very impressed with property and Los Cabos as a whole. Definitely plan to go back!!! Will probably go the "condo" route next time.... the area is way safer than I thought it would be and I would prefer to eat more "local" and explore versus being tied to a resort. But, if you want to simply relax and not think about anything.... then an AI is the way to go!

I was a little disappointed upon check in and after we got to our room. I had requested (back in March) an upper floor having seen former reviews. We were put on floor 2. I asked to be moved to a higher floor and was told that it wasn't in our category. Evidently floors 1-2 are ocean view and 3-5 are ocean front. We weren't even offered an up grade... even when I called to complain. This wouldn't have bothered me except that is was VERY obvious that the resort was, at best, about 40% capacity. Heck, I would be offering up grades left and right.....

All in all we were fine with our room but that is not the point. The point is that I requested a high floor at booking and received floor 2. I went back and forth with the front desk for 2 days and the best they could do was the same floor. I am certain this is because we booked this hotel through an RCI timeshare.... we should be glad, I guess, that we didn't get floor 1... ha ha!

Still, though, from a CS standpoint... I hope the Hotel Manager reads this as we would have GLADLY paid for an upgrade... but no one would even bother.....

Ok, enough of that!

The resort and grounds were gorgeous. The service was EXCELLENT. I find it hard to believe that others found the pool service bad.... maybe it was simply an off week....???.... EVERY waiter, hostess, manager, employee (well, except the front desk...) was OVER accommodating!!!

We did not book any activities through the hotel. My Husband and I are avid Golfers and I pre-arranged and paid for 3 rounds for us prior to our arrival. There are MANY timeshare pitches to earn you free rounds of golf but unless you enjoy that kind of purgatory.... I would do it on your own.

We (to my shock) somehow got swindled at the airport for a $40. breakfast to earn us $300. in golf but when we told the timeshare girl at the hotel... she assured us we could get that back and we did.... we had to attend the TS presentation at the Dreams resort..... (note your 90 minutes is more like 3 hours....) but, thankfully, we already own a timeshare so this was NOT an option. We DID receive our 40. back along with a 300. spa credit.... but, once again, if you want the hassle... do it but I prefer to NEVER EVER EVER go on another timeshare presentation..... it just isn't worth my precious vacation time!

Food was good. I live in a MAJOR city but for those in smaller locals with not much choice... you will LOVE it. Kinda along the same lines as folks who go on cruises for the food. I am just not a huge foody.... I just want good and safe... and, I am good.

Alcohol... ok, Wine, you can pay for better... but I actually enjoyed the Chardonnay... it was Chiliean.... (sp.) and I like that kind.

Anyway, all in all,,,,, GREAT!! I highly recommend this resort. I definitely recommend a higher floor for the views. As far as the Casitas go.... they look awesome but when you are on your roof.... there is NO privacy as, believe me, the entire rest of the hotel can see you. Same with the "honeymoon" rooms on the first floor..... I got quite the eyeful a couple of times just merely stepping out on my balcony.

We are doing a condo next time but not for any reason other than to be a bit more independant..... Oh, an LAST thing. Go into town via taxi for about 25 bucks and do your own tours. WAAAAAAY cheaper and just as good if not better!!!!

Room Tip: Higher floor = Better views! Casitas probably good but your roof is NOT private AT ALL!!!