“Best Resort Yet”

Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
MAPLE RIDGE
“Best Resort Yet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have been to a few all-inclusives in a couple countries. This one may have been my favourite thus far. Full disclaimer, I was on my honeymoon so I don't think I could have had a bad time.

Secrets Marquis is a certain type of resort, in that I mean it doesn't try to do everything. To be clear, it is a laid back couples resort. And a great one at that. Part of this means certain sacrifices: less of an entertainment focus, less "activites", few or none built in attractions like a wave pool or a "lazy river". All of these extras are dropped and where it pays off is in the peace of the resort. For someone like me it forced me to do nothing and after a few days I got used to it, allowing me to truly relax. At other resort I has planned my days with many different fun things going on, and I still enjoy that, but at Marquis I did nothing and ended up coming home like you want to come home, with a more at ease mind and a smile through all the flights and transfers.

I did have the opportunity to go to the Spa for a couples massage with my wife. I don't need to really go into detail here, it was great. You should do it. Can't be more straightforward and serious here.

The restaurants were great. Each had their own well put together menu and unlike other resorts you are not required to make reservations (with the exception of the Japanese specialty meal), or limited in the number of visits you can make to a particular restaurant. Also, there are so many wonderful menu options that the old standby of the buffet is near non-existent. I think I ate at the buffet once the whole week.

All of the rooms have a great view, so DON'T GET THE OCEAN FRONT ROOM, GET THE OCEAN VIEW ROOM. THEY ARE THE SAME THING. Save your money. \

The beds are indeed hard as a rock, but you can always order drinks from room service until you could fall asleep on a pile of metal spoons. Which I did, it was great.

I don't really want to give away too much here, you should just go. I promise it will be relaxing and one of the better times you've had.

Room Tip: get the ocean view, its the same as the ocean front. If you do get a private pool room, everyone abo...
2 Thank SFin1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Secrets Marquis was so relaxing my husband and I lost track of what day it was. The resort offers a free photo shoot with one free photo; however, when we saw the photos, I started crying because they were so beautiful and so well done! Because the photo shop staff was so friendly and professional it made the photo shoot fun, and we ended up buying a package. I recommend using them if you stay at the resort. Be sure to get a professional picture of your relaxing resort stay. You'll be glad you did.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies and excellent views of the beach and ocean; however, the higher floors the...
2 Thank Kim G
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

2nd time back in May. If you truly want the ocean front experience, this property is it. Any other will not stand up. Enjoyed all the restaurants again, service was wonderful.
We did note a few areas that needed attention:
- There are only 2 bars. That being said, they were running out of brands. The first day they would have Contreau or Grand Marnier. Then, no more. Inconsistencies like these.
- They really need some sort of entertainment in the evening. All they had was a singer singing Karaoke style - very disappointing.
Other than that - ceviche was the usual food highlight for us. Service everywhere was unmatched. I love this place, but since we've been there twice, we're gonna try the new PLC to see how that matches up. But I'm sure we'll be back to this one.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

My husband and I spent 5 days at this resort in May and it was the first time we have ventured into the world of "all -inclusives". I wasn't sure what to expect but on first sight I think my comment was.. "a cruise ship on land"! The resort is compiled of 5 very large buildings sitting about 1000 ft back from the beach, slightly elevated on a bluff but with beautiful views out to sea. It is a very large complex, giving guests plenty or room to spread out and walk from one place to another.
Everything about our stay was beautifully taken care of; the staff were wonderful, the waiters and assistants were there at our beck and call, the room was spectacular and clean, the pools were massive and pristine, the food was excellent with fantastic choices and locations to eat. Drinks; every color of the rainbow flowed continually and the breakfast was unbelievable; our favorite meal of the day. For all that I would give this hotel 5 stars.
Couple of recommendations:
1. The pounding surf and drop off into the sea mean that guests are not allowed to swim in the ocean. I certainly appreciate the hotels' very real concern about rip tides and rough seas but wonder if there isn't a way to mitigate those risks perhaps by hiring some experience kayakers and swimmers for the beach only when the currents and surf allow. For right now the alternative for an ocean-swim is to walk the 20 minutes down the beach to a safer cove.
2. Also while lazing on the beach, a backhoe was continually moving sand around 50 ft in front of us; the mission of the backhoe was unclear but ours of enjoying the spectacular waves got driven away by a cloud of diesel fumes! (this is where you lost your 5 star rating)
3. Walking back to our room there was a longer walk across a bridge or a shorter cut through the garden which is what most people did. Paving stones would keep the garden attractive while making sure guests don't slip on the gravel.
4. Privacy on the bedroom balconies; one side has shades but the other is open to the neighbors' balcony. The addition of shades or blinds on both sides would be great.

All in all we would highly recommend this hotel if your vacation goal is total relaxation in a place that is fairly remote. I would recommend enjoying the local flavor of San Jose which was charming. Cabot offers a lot more atmosphere, people and local hustle and hustle! Go early so you can be back in time to catch the sunset at Portofino.

Room Tip: Ocean view, 3rd floor. Ground floors have swim up pools but no views.
6 Thank andbrody
Ankara A, General Manager at Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your Secrets Marquis experience with us and fellow travelers. I am very happy that as your “first venture into the world of all-inclusives” we were able to make your five-day vacation a memorable one. I’m glad you enjoyed our facilities, views as well as the selection of food and beverages.
Thank you so much for all your valuable feedback and suggestions. These are very important to us and I’ll be sure to share them with my team to continue enhancing our guests’ experience.
We hope to welcome you back one day!
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

First let me just admit that I would never, ever, choose an adults only all inclusive resort on my own. But I won a work trip for performance and this is where it was going to be located. So I smiled and just thought I could handle four days of drunk, obnoxious, tacky people because it was free and at was in Mexico. How wrong I was. What a beautiful facility. The service was as good as any Four Seasons Resort I've stayed at and probably better than a Ritz Carlton. The facility impeccable. The food on the beach or pool was great. The restaurants could do a bit better, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Room service every morning was fabulous, hot, and on time. I would honestly consider going back. My only request would be to develop the beach a bit more for relaxation and sport.

Room Tip: Higher up floors won't hear morning workers.
5 Thank David H
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My wife and I just returned from Secrets on Saturday. The resort, food and room all exceeded our expectations. My wife referred to the cleaning staff as Ninja's as you never noticed them, however they were definitely lurking in the shadows!! The public washrooms at the resort are immaculate. Both Wait Staff in the restaurants and bar are excellent. Our main bar waiter (Martin) provided us with the best possible service. Hoping Secrets watches trip advisor as this guy needs to be recognized for consistently going the extra mile to exceed your expectations. Food is very subjective, however we have travelled extensively and have stayed in numerous all-inclusives and this resort by far was our best experience. If you like sushi and more specifically Sashimi Spice Restaurant is for you! The main dining area for this restaurant is very large, we chose to sit on the outside deck which is far more intimate and provides a great view of the ocean. My only disappoint with this resort was the outrageous wifi fees! They charge $16 per day or $75 per week. I was under the impression that they provided free wifi from the lobby area, however that's not correct. They do have a business centre which does provide free internet to their desktops, but you cannot use your own devices. Had it not been for this irritant I would have rated 5*

Room Tip: We had an Ocean Front room which provided us with a knock out view from the top floor (Suite 530)
4 Thank 6ixpack
Dear Valued Guest,
How exciting to hear fantastic reviews like yours! I couldn’t be more pleased to know that you and your wife enjoyed your stay at Secrets Marquis to the fullest and that our resort, food and room all exceeded your expectations.
On behalf of my team, and particularly on behalf of Martin, I would like to thank you for expressing your appreciation for all their hard work. Each and every member of our team consistently tries to go out of his or her way to make our guest’s experiences unforgettable and special. I’m delighted we were able to add this special touch to your vacation as well.
We hope to welcome you again soon,
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

I want to start by saying I am a travel agent and I travel ALOT. But this doesn't mean I have high expectations, I just have realistic expectations of what you should be getting for the money. On this side of Cabo it is a very nice area with a lot of high end properties, especially near this resort. George Clooney and Cindy Crawford have a house right next door to the Marquis. This place is a great value for your money considering how outstanding the property is. Every room is oceanview which is something most people pay a ton for so it's a plus that no matter what category you are in you'll have an outstanding view. I was upgraded to oceanfront which just means your room is more centered. This hotel even though part of the Secrets brand is also a member of the "Leading Hotels of the World" so it has to adhere to higher standards, which I think makes it unique and an incredible value. Secrets advertises having premium brand beverages but make sure you ask for that! They aren't going to assume you want Don Julio in your margarita. People on these reviews complain about the lack of authentic Mexican but that didn't bother me. Go off the resort and explore! Sometimes an all-inclusive will make you feel like you have to stay on site, but I would definitely recommend venturing into Cabo San Lucas for the night life and cuisine. Our airport transfers were exceptional. We paid for a shared transfer but no one else needed to be going to the airport the morning we left so our driver took us on a tour before we got to the airport. Very cool! And when you're leaving go to the VIP airport lounge. It's $35usd, but the complimentary massage they give you is worth that alone! The head masseuse at Las Ventanas operates out of the VIP lounge now and my husband and I were so impressed. Plus you get to drink and eat for free until your plane leaves. That in itself was worth it to me b/c I wasn't ready to end my vacation!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Lo Y
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos. It is always thrilling to hear positive comments from well-traveled individuals like yourself. I couldn’t be happier to know that you had what sounds like a perfect stay! Thank you for acknowledging the excellent value we provide and I couldn’t disagree with you. I believe our resort stands out thanks to its facilities, high-end food and beverage options as well as an unbeatable oceanfront location and service and, as you mentioned, being a member of the "Leading Hotels of the World" truly raises the bar for us.
It is rewarding and motivating for our entire team to receive such valuable feedback and it encourages us to work harder every day in making each guest’s experience a perfect one (just like yours!).
We look forward to hosting you again soon,

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,105 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,983 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!