“Impressed and pleased”

Ranked #6 of 41 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Dallas, Texas
“Impressed and pleased”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

All gold stars, and many of them! Secrets Marquis Los Cabos is a top player in the Mexican resort world as far as I'm concerned. From the peaceful and serene ambiance to the impeccable and detailed service, I can't imagine any guest being much less than 100% satisfied with an experience at this property. I along with my best friend (gals' getaway) enjoyed our time in this paradise. We immensely enjoyed the food and friendly service. It seems each member of the resort staff made an effort to learn names, and did so very well!

Both my friend and I took in a massage at the spa during our week's stay and THAT was truly a magical experience. They are doing things more than right in the spa, no doubt!

My interactions with the entertainment staff were positive and I want to make mention of Ferr in particular, for being so helpful and welcoming.

I feel compelled to mention how uncomfortable the two beds were in our room (#315). My friend and I would each toss and turn in our individual beds through the night, and then we would each leave our beds in the mornings hunched over.

Room Tip: I think each and every room here has a wide open beach view!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Ankara A, General Manager at Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words regarding your recent stay at Secrets Marquis Los Cabos. I am delighted to know that you and your friend found so much to like during your week-long gals’ getaway. It makes me very proud that our staff, including Fer and the spa team, made your stay with us memorable. We hope that on your next visit you’ll take the opportunity to try other treatments offered at our award-winning spa for yet another “magical experience”. Meanwhile, we look forward to your next visit and will be happy to help with anything you may need before then.
Kind Regards,
Ankara Angulo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I loved that you didn't need to get reservations at any of the restaurants, and it was never an issue to get in. Also, the resort is super relaxing. If you just want to be with your sweetie- it's perfect. The infinity pool overlooking the ocean was awesome. You can't swim in the ocean.. you would need to walk over to the Hilton to do that. It's located in between San Jose and Cabo San Lucas, so going into town takes a little longer than what we were used to.

The food is medicore, it's really not great. I get it- you're in Mexico... but there is a ton of Mexican food and little of anything else. I would probably say we had the best experience at Spice. There's no steak house or late night pizza which is what my husband really enjoys. :) Also, while there is a "stocked" mini bar in your room... that means a few juices and 4 beers. You can't order a bottle of wine which I have an issue with. There is also no swim up bar, so you have to depend on the pool service to get a drink.

However, all of the rooms have ocean views, and it's really easy to get around the hotel. Here's the worst part. I apparently am a dumb idiot and didn't realize they were being pushy and wanted to sell us a time share. I was interested to learn about the other resorts, and I had no idea I was walking into a snake pit. Don't believe them for one second when they say their presentation is "no pressure," and it will only take 90 minutes including breakfast. My husband was more than pissed at me when I signed us up... but I convinced him saying they would have mimosas and it would be a limited time commitment. It was not.

It was over two hours of constant pressure.. and it was borderline offensive. The guy actually told us "wow for someone so non committal... I can't really figure out why you bought a house." Well, let's see. If I can't afford my house payement, I will just sell my house being that it appreciates in value. Justifying a 40K downpayment up front just for discounts on vacations for the rest of my life is a different story. Yes, I said 40K.

The last two years have been good to us being that we have been able to travel but who knows what's going to happen in the next 5. I'd never hand someone 40K and hope for the best.

All in all, it was an affordable vacation and we had a good time. I think Secrets is okay if you want to vacation in Mexico and do the all inclusive thing... but after this.... I'd say go the extra mile and go to a Sandals. We just returned from Sandals, and honestly nothing can compare to how fantastic that resort chain is. Especially now that we've been to Secrets.

5 Thank Marissa G
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

The ups out way downs, The only true down was bland food well better to say hit-or-miss... but i added downs to give you full experience of what to expect...Please read all.
Added tons of pics too!

Ill start with the ups!! :)
Amazingly beautiful hotel!!
1. AMAING SERVICE! I felt spoiled, room was always clean, service was OVER THE TOP, never had to wait long for drinks or food or anything. Always had fresh towels at the pools (which are amazing). The staff always gets the door for you, luggage, everything.... non-stop service with smiles and never once an attitude or a huff or anything. THEY TRULY CARE!!!!!!!
2. The pools, beach and views! The hotel is just incredible!
3. The balconies on every room, just awesome!
4. Very clean bathrooms (the public ones)
5. Expansive space, although they may have a lot of guests, never felt like it
6. business center for use.
7. AMAZING rooms! Large, beautiful and cozy.
8. shuttle to and from airport was included.
9. Beautiful grounds, very clean, very well kept...!
10. quiet, no loud kids or wild over the top people from what I noticed, just a fun, relaxed, nice group.

The cons:
1. No free wifi
2. food was very bland bland from what I was expecting, however, THE SERVICE MADE UP FOR IT! I recommend the pool food/bars (every item on pool menu was great) and the events they host (that food) and Spice the Hibachi and Sushi. Make sure to order mexican coffee at the hibachi table.
3. Very firm beds!!
4. The heat was insane, and not many places to relax and cool off, other than your room, where my air condition did not go below 72, my guests rooms cooled better.
5. shuttle to Los Cabos (quite expensive) You have to use taxi services.. roughly 30.oo (for two) each way.
6. rough towels!
7. expensive spa
8.YOU CAN NOT SWIM ON THE BEACHES! Rough water, bad currents!

Overall- I fell in love! I will be staying at other secrets resorts! One guest only stays at Secrets, he said the food was OK here but amazing at other secrets resorts. I CANNOT WAIT FOR MY NEXT STAY!!!! INCREDIBLE!!!!!! Many guests who have stayed at other places loved it here. We spent almost our whole time in the pools, but for excursions there is an amazing team of concierge, use their recommendations!

Room Tip: Ocean view is best, higher floors, better views. I was on floor three and outstanding views. goes up...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank exploerer1
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

This place is fantastic. We stayed from Thursday-Monday on the July 4th weekend. We only left once because we were looking for a low key vacation, but there is plenty to do at the resort. The pools are amazing. You can sit in your infinity pool and look out over the edge at the waves crashing on the beach.

The food at the resort was great. Even though the place is all-inclusive, they do not try to short you on food at all. They will bring you food by the pool during the day if you are lounging, and the 3 nicer restaurants are available for dinner. We tried the Italian restaurant and the Asian restaurant - both were great. Also, the breakfast buffet is wonderful - they have it all, and it's a sit-down, full-service restaurant.

Fitness center was also above average for hotels. Several treadmills, cardio machines, and a fair amount of free weights. It's right next to the spa, which was nice but pricey.

This is definitely a place for couples. Almost everyone was with their spouse or significant other.

We did do the club thing one night. On Saturdays and Wednesdays, someone from the resort (Miguel) will take groups to downtown Cabo for $20 per head, which is more than reasonable. They take the groups in big vans. We went to 4 clubs/bars, and Miguel got us in all of them without having to wait in line. Skipping line at those 4 places was worth the $20. You also get dropped off at the clubs, and picked up to return to the resort. This is way cheaper than separately getting a cab to/from Cabo from the resort.

My only complaints (and these are minor) are as follows: 1) wifi was spotty, even after we paid $25 for 4 days; and 2) the beds were smallish.

I definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: Junior suite had a nice view of the beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This was a girls trip and it was wonderful.we had ocean front room on 5th floor with fantastic view. Infinity pools are right on beach and provide breathtaking view. Service was great. Food was really good. Great place for short vacation. Rooms were spacious and nice. Relaxing and enjoyable

Cons: by 9-10pm nothing is going on..Internet and TV service are bad. They charge you one price for internet but you can't use more than 1 device at a time which was a pain for 2 wives to check in with families. Internet service was very poor. Pick up from amstar was terrible ( this was included with package). We had been traveling since 3:00 am , arrived 2:00 pm our time. There was supposed to be a sign with our name and non stop shuttle to hotel. When we arrived, there was no name and after talking to several people we found right place. Then we were told the shuttle would be at least 1 hour before we left airport. We did not want to stand in 95 degree weather waiting so we took different shuttle at price of $14 each. They also offered $200 credit when we arrived. what they didn't state is you had to use it for certain things. Ex; romantic dinner on beach which is not exactly what my friend and I were there for. We would have preferred to use at spa but could only use a small amount there so we really didn't benefit from it and that was a little false advertising. We asked every day for our room to be cleaned by 10. Only one day was that request honored.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ladybug50
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I booked a trip here from 7/3-7/6 to spend my birthday at this resort (which is on the 4th of july).
upon arrival to the resort, we did not have a friendly greet. everyone just stood around and watched us pull our luggage up to the counter. we got there about 9:30 and I told the lady that it was my birthday and we were ready to check in so we can start our celebration early. she told us that our room wasn't ready and check out was at 12. I asked here if we could have another room and she told me NO that everyone is assigned to a certain room so we couldn't have any other room. I was immediately disappointed b/c not only did we have a horrible greeting but now they are refusing us a room??? We had to make do of the bad news and decided to go have breakfast and walk around. it was very humid that day b/c it just rained that night/morning so we were soaking wet from sitting outside the whole time. this hotel doesn't technically have an inside to it except for your room (which we didn't have) and the sushi restaurant which doesn't open until 5/6. the bathrooms have no a/c and the lights are on a timer (yes the lights cut off on myself and my husband while using it) and the elevators have no a/c either! so about 12:30 we went back up and asked if we could have our room and she said it would be twenty minutes. after that we were just extremely frustrated with the whole check in process. finally about 1:45 they ended up giving us a different room (which they could have gave us the whole time) b/c we asked if we could see all the different rooms incase we wanted to upgrade. so they took us to the same exact room 3 doors down and we finally convinced them to let us have that room!

then to summarize it all up, we are there having a good time (for my birthday again) and it was just the worst service ever, they don't direct you by your name, they gave us attitude as if we were "drinking too much" of their alcohol and no you couldn't order food from the restaurants and take it up to your room you had to eat it there. ive never felt so depressed while I was on vacation. I felt horrible and was ready to go on the night of my birthday b/c of how crapy they made us feel. they did nothing to make me feel as if they appreciated me being there for my birthday. everything was no we cant do that or no we cant do this. you cant even swim in the ocean b/c the waves are too dangerous. we paid for a snorkeling adventure, only to get us out on the boat to tell us the ocean was too dangerous and we couldn't snorkel so we were stuck on this boat frying in the sun for 4 hours!!!! why are you selling snorkel adventures if you cant get in the ocean?????? the pool even closes when it gets dark which is insane to me, your on vacation!!!

worst place ever!!!! do not go here!
hands down, LIVE AQUA IN CANCUN was the best vacation ever!!!!!! this place for the price is horrible horrible horrible!!!!!!!!

please trust me, DONT GO TO SECREST MARQUIS LOS CABOS!

12 Thank Ryan W
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We spent 6 nights here and felt we got a good value for our money. Our package included airfare and airport transfers both ways. I will explain the good and bad about the room, grounds, spa/activities, food and drink, and service.

Room
My favorite thing about this entire resort was the view from our balcony. We had an ocean view right in the middle of the resort on the fourth floor. The views of the enormous waves and infinity pools never grew tiring. Every detail of the room design was exquisite from the granite counters, travertine floors, stone shower, and jet tub. The room was spotlessly clean and quiet. The wooden furniture and stucco walls gave the room a modern Mexican feel. The bed was comfortable and the wall had Mexican art and tiling. The minibar was stocked with beers, waters, juices, and sodas. The toiletries were generous and of good quality, and the SPF 15 lotion was especially appreciated. The negatives about this room were the toilet door was glass and lacking privacy and the shower didn't get warm water. We did not report the shower, as it was hot in Cabo and we didn't mind the cold showers.

Grounds
You would never know once inside the resort that it was located on a main highway. The architects really did an excellent job of secluding this property from the rest of the world. You cannot swim on the beach in front of the hotel because of the massive currents and waves, but you can walk to the Hilton which is within site for an excellent ocean swimming experience. There are numerous bronze statues and Mexican paintings that decorate the resort and the numerous infinity pools are breathtaking. There are plenty of lawn chairs and umbrellas on the beach and by the pools. The landscaping with palm trees and saguaro cactus is tasteful and well placed. All bathrooms are spotless. The restaurants are chic and romantic.

Food/Drink
Most of the food was quite good, especially the sashimi at Spice. We ate there the third night and then the next three it was so good. My second favorite was the breakfast buffet. I enjoyed the chicken tinga, beans, and chilaquiles. The American options didn't look nearly as good. I didn't eat lunch once because the breakfast was so filling. All the bars were well stocked with a variety of delicious liquors. I recommend the banana daiquiri with fresh bananas and chilled tequila shots. By the pool any of the ceviches with guacamole are great.

Spa/Activities
The activities were fun, and I enjoyed the water aerobics best. I got a massage at the spa which was great, but the cost seemed ridiculous at $145 for 50 minutes (and that was with a resort coupon included in our package). The gym was decent, however overcrowded. There were only two working treadmills so I had to wait 20 minutes to use one, killing time on the one of working elliptical machines.

Service by the pool and in the restaurants was very friendly but often they would promise you another drink and then never return. A couple of times waiters asked what I was drinking and I assumed that meant they would come back with a refill but that didn't happen. The maid service was completely unpredictable and almost made me angry. You would never know what time they were coming or if they would. Of the six nights we were there, we got turn down service once. The other nights we would see them a couple rooms down from us when we returned to our room around 11 (the time turn down service supposedly ends). We stayed up patiently waiting for them, and then finally around 11:20 or so we put do not disturb and literally within seconds they put a slip under our door saying they missed us for turn down service at 11. One night we didn't even get a slip.

Overall considering the beauty of the property and friendliness of the staff, I would recommend this resort for a wonderful romantic vacation.

3 Thank halleybopp
Ankara A, General Manager at Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
First of all, let me offer you my best wishes for your 10th Anniversary—What a fantastic milestone to celebrate at the Secrets Marquis! Thank you so much for choosing our resort for this special occasion and I couldn’t be happier to know just how much you and your friends enjoyed your stay with us. I am also glad to hear that our team made sure you were spoiled and well taken care of—just what a Secrets Marquis experience is all about!
We look forward to having you back very soon and for many anniversaries and other special occasions to come.
Kind Regards,
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 71 in Cabo San Lucas
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,105 reviews
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & Spa Resort
Secrets Puerto Los Cabos Golf & ...
#11 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,983 reviews
Pueblo Bonito Pacifica Golf & Spa Resort
One & Only Palmilla
One & Only Palmilla
#3 of 41 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Marquis Los Cabos All-Inclusive Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!