“Great Anniversary Trip”

Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort
Ranked #2 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 26 August 2006

We just returned from a fabulous 25th anniv. celebration at Las Ventanas. After reading ALL the reviews on this site, I felt we were pretty much prepared for what to expect. We are realistic and expected a few glitches but overall were very pleased.

On arrival at the airport, we did as this site suggested and did not talk to anyone after customs. Numerous men were asking for our passports and transportation plans but we sailed right past them and out the doors where our Las Ventanas driver was standing right in front with a sign for us. The ride in the Mercedes SUV was great with water, scented towels and candies. On arrival, we were greated by name and shown to our room. The room was beautiful with a great view. We were happy with our complimentary champagne and tequilla. Our first night, we had the Sea and Stars massage on our roof top terrace while we listened to the guitar players below. We highly recommend it. The grounds were stunning and we love the desert landscape. The pool was beautiful but the service varied. Occasionally, we had to ask numerous times for water and umbrellas. Some of the attendants seemed to respond faster to people offering large tips while other seemed to happily respond equally to all. We never got upset and actually found it humerous at how others made it all work for them. We did use the ipods and sunglass cleaners. It was so hot the popiscles were melting almost faster than they could give them out. We spent most of our days relaxing by the pool and reading in its shallows. We never grew tired of the beauty of the pool and the ocean beyond. Seeing Kevin Costner was a bonus.

We did leave one day and go fishing with Pisces Sport Fishing. We caught 2 dorado and 2 sailfish. It was alot of fun and my husband was appreciative of fishing on our anniv. The hotel froze and packaged our dorado for us to take home in a cooler we purchased in Cabo. Another day, we went to San Jose del Cabo for some shopping. After all, it was our silver anniv. We met the owners of Mexican Fire Opals Jewelry Factory. They showed us how they design and make all their silver jewelry. We bought several pieces and felt like we made new friends. Other than silver, the town did not offer much more than t-shirts and wraps. We have been in classic old Mexican towns with cowboys, horses and squares. It wasn't even close. We preferred staying at the resort and enjoying its beauty.

We ate at both The Restaurant and The Sea Grille. We thought the food and the service was much better at The Sea Grille although both were good. We especially enjoyed breakfast each day with their mexican specials. We did purchase the breakfast /dinner plan for $130/person. It was a savings but if we return we may not purchase it. Their serving sizes were very generous and could easily be shared (Many people were sharing). On our anniversary, we had a private dinner at the Plaza. We initially booked a private beach dinner but found out that several others were also having it the same night and when we looked at the set up, we canceled and booked the Plaza. We could not have asked for better service and set up. The Plaza over looks the resort and beach (beach set up $200, plaza set up $100). It is very private and beautiful. The guitarist came and played for us while we danced. They served us champagne and gave us a special cake for our anniv. celebration. The meal was perfect and we felt it rated our best celebration. What a great day... Jewelry, sun, beach, LaStone massage, private dinner, chocolate, champagne, dancing and a private roof top ocean retreat to show my husband how much I love him!! Perfect!! The 25th was our best celebration ever!

Room service was prompt, cleaning service was perfect and the tequilla and ceviche bar was great. We now love ceviche and love clase azul tequilla. The airport attendant from LVP met us at our departure and stayed with us until we went through security.

A few negatives....they charge $6 for newspapers (we thought like all other resorts we stayed, they were free. $775/night plus 28% tax and service charge does not rate a free newspaper.) They spa shorted us 20 min on our massages. We complained and gave us one free. Were surprised with built in service charge that some still expected a tip (not all). Their margaritas were exceptional but ranged from $17 to $24 each plus 28%. Hubby says they were worth it.

Would we go back after $7000 for 4 nights? Yes, we would. My husband says a definite yes. Would probably take the cheapest room because all are great .

Sorry for the length but wanted to share as much as possible.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
45  Thank drmeg

Reviewed 20 July 2006

Its all the little things that make the difference at Las Ventanas. If you are looking for excellent service than you came to the right place. We went on our honeymoon just a week ago and I can tell you we have never felt more pampered in our lives. The staff has an incredible knack for remembering and also passing along information to other employees about your exact preferences. Now as far as I go If a resort has a bed and a pool, maybe a meal and some cold beer than I am usually all set, but you find yourself adjusting to the good life very quickly, after one day there I was spritzing with evian. The staff makes you feel like they all studied your personal bio before you got there and everyone remembers the little things, ask one employee once and you will never have to ask again for something. The scenery is out of a movie and I doubt it has an equal. Dinners were an event, amazing acoustic guitars every night and candles everywhere to light up the resort, truly paradise. That is the good news. Food and beverage in paradise can be not so blue collar. If you dont mind shelling out 22 bucks plus 15% for a cheeseburger then hats off to you. I had sticker shock on many an occasion, sometimes amazing food showed up and unfortunately more times than not sub par food (then again we compare everyting to NYC eateries). Beer is resonable, but order a vodka drink and you would think they were flying it in from somewhere just for your drink. I mean 16 bucks for a kettle one and club, I can live with that if it is a mean drink with some kick to it but the pours were just average. Overall we could not have had a more relaxing enjoyable time anywhere, we both highly recommend this resort for it's romance and beauty.
PS The steak is awesome, bread at dinner to die for and get to your poolchairs early for the prime location spots. Room service for breakfast is a must and you get more bang for your buck than at the restaraunt. Sleep outside on your deck at least one night. Good luck to you and your used to be fat wallet.

Stayed: July 2006
20  Thank coed
Reviewed 2 July 2006

My husband and I were looking for a getaway without the kids that was a direct flight from Ohare airport in Chicago. I used TripAdvisor to zero in on Las Ventanas versus some of the other top notch Cabo resorts and we were not disappointed. The resort is fabulous! The staff anticipates your every need....there is always a cold bottle of water and a wet cloth to cool you in the heat...friendly staff to help you learn a bit of spanish and how to properly drink tequila! We had a room the first night that was near some construction and the manager moved us to the other side of the resort without hesitation. The rooms are amazing and our roof top had a telescope for star gazing...so romantic! We had made arrangements with the concierge (we used mariajose and she was extrremely helpful) for some romantic interludes (they have a director of romance too!) and were blown away by the attention to detail! We recommend a private dinner on the beach!!! Do not miss that! They write your name in the sand and wait on you "hand and foot!" Their service is UNBELIEVABLE and we have stayed at many places. You pay for it, of course, as the rooms and food is pricey, bue we NEVER LEFT THE RESORT as we felt we didn't need to! It didn't hurt to see Nick Lachey lounging by the pool...everyone is so laid back, a star just adds to the atmosphere!

We made so many friends while we were there...a group of us met at the pool bar (Eric at the tequila bar and esteban are geat bartenders who give you drink advice...(like La Damiana...an aphrodisiac!!) ) We all vowed to come back next year...we never make friends on vacation, but the pool bar is a freindly palce and everyone is having a great time. Although kids are allowed, we didn't see any...kids wouldn't enjoy the atmosphere. This is a couples only or a girlfriends kind of place!

The spa was one of the best I have ever been to and I am a spa addict! Sandra was the best facial I have ever had, and the Shirodara with Fernando gave me a vision, it was that relaxing. The spa waiting area and treatment rooms are wonderfully appointed, and the services are worth every peso!

As for the staff, the pool butlers (especially Bernardo) are wonderful.. they anticipate your need for shade before you do and there is ice cold evian to spray on your body and delicious pool side drinks and food. The infinity pool and the ocean beyond seem as one...sounds corny, but it's true. The food at the Sea Grill was delicious and Guycura night gives you a taste of baja...we loved it and would definitely recommend it! Cynthia, the greeter at the Sea Grill has a smile that lights up when she meets you...I always felt welcome when we sat down to eat.

We can't wait to go again...and I think the firends we made at the pool bar that are from Boston also wrote a review....so it isn't just us that had a great time! Worth every peso!

• Stayed: June 2006
21  Thank jpartynski
Reviewed 17 June 2006

We just returned from a stay at Las Ventanas. There is no question that this is a first rate property run in classic high service style by Rosewood Hotels.

On Cabo in general. This was our first time there. It is a harsh desert environment out of which this amazing resort was carved - as well as 25+ others that line the highway between San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas. We visited both towns and liked San Jose much better. Less touristy, better shops - nicer feel. Cabo San Lucas has many of the high energy night clubs and tourist restaurants on the water front. Try Ediths in Cabo - great place, recommneded by hotel. It is very dry, scorching sun and the locals say July thru September gets hotter. If you are expecting tropical - go to Hawaii or Costa Rica. The hotel rents a Mini for $200 per day, only 2 available - I was tempted, but be warned, parking in both towns is a challenge. Cabs to both cities run $20-25 US, very easy to get a cab in both places and it was no hassle service back and forth into towns.

On Las Ventanas - it is top notch. The service is unparalleled, the staff impeccably trained and responsive (even spookily anticapatory) to every request. From the car on arrival to the airport, to the pool butlers to the wait staff - they are highly trained and ready to meet your every request. The spa is top notch, again with well trained, attentive staff. Both the Sea Grill and main restaurant serve excellent, excellent food (nice mix of seafood, grilled items and classic entres). The room are large and comfortable with many amenities. The main "living" area is outside - in our case an ocean front patio but the upper units also have roof top decks as well. Spotless, comfortable, quiet and fantastic service best desribe Las Ventanas.

I will advise, it is VERY expensive. Breakfast for two is $50, dinner closer to $150 per person with a modest liquor tab. By the time all resort fees, service fees and taxes are added on - it does make for a stunner of a final bill.

Finally, we went for a quiet adult get a way, and you get that at LVP. Very few children (there is little for them to do since you cannot swim in the ocean), and few accomodations are made for even up to teenage children. The ones that were there were very, very well behaved and over all the resort is very quiet and relaxing. We loved that - and wanted to the get-a-way. Would not adivse for a family trip.

World class property, top notch service, great for adult R&R.

• Stayed: June 2006
26  Thank rbwinston
Reviewed 16 June 2006

I was thrilled to check in to Tripadvisor and see two reviews from people who stayed during the same time frame. I appreciate all the reviews I read about this property so I want to return the favor. Like most who stay at this property, I would say we are pretty well traveled and stay at first class properties. (hope that doesn't sound too hoity toity) I researched a lot of new places because this was the first time my husband and I were able to get away sans child. I am from Boston so the travel required more than I wished (ie, no direct flight) but it was so worth the longer travel commitment.

When I had originally booked with the resort, the category of room I wanted was not available. I booked something which would have required we switch rooms and then frequently checked back in to check on cancellations. I was able to book a roof top ocean view suite. I don't think there is a bad room on this property. I liked the ocean view because it seemed more private, yet still was really very close to the beach. The room was great (although if you have stayed at Cap Juluca their bathroom is bigger and better). High ceiling, ceiling fan and AC! Wow- did we need that given the mid-90 degree and above temps all week. One thing we have experienced in Mexico is that the typical hotel mattress is more firm than we prefer. I called housekeeping and requested a foam top. I did have to call back to remind them but it was on the bed before I went to sleep that night. Made a big difference. The outdoor living areas were really wonderful. We used the rooftop area several times but pref'd the somewhat shaded patio area. Housekeeping service was top notch, although one evening turn down service was skipped and one day the room wasn't cleaned until 3 pm. However, the room looked pristine and all of that was terrific. If you are going to obsess on any small, you will miss the much bigger picture.

We stayed for 6 nights and were really in desperate need of R&R when we got there. As a result, we spent a lot of our time 'on property.' We did rent the mini-coop for one day. We drove up the Baja coast and went to Todos Santos. The town wasn't that great- very tourista- but the ride was beautiful. Really glad we did it. On the way back, we stopped for lunch at Esperanza. That was terrific. That evening we went for drinks at Palmilla. I had looked into all of the properties, frankly I am really glad we chose Las Ventanas. However, all 3 are stellar places. We did the $50 dollar tequila lesson, which was really fun. We almost blew it off, but it turns out to be the best value at the resort. ha! Small group of us, tasted 5 Tequilas (all of increasing age and value), got free ceviche and guac etc. We also got a diploma, which we all thought was a hoot and would look good framed in our home offices.

We ate at the Sea Grill as well as the Restaurant. I loved the bartenders at the Sea Grill, in fact everyone there was wonderful. The restaurant is more formal and there was only one person there who gave me 'attitude'. Everyone else was wonderful. At night they had twin brothers playing flamenco guitar. Wonderful. The swim up bar was a hoot. Usually when we vacation we are not into 'socializing' but I have to say that a group of us congregated there every afternoon for happy hour. No one intruded on anyone's privacy but it was great fun. A group of us have agreed to return again same time, next year. Everyone who was staying there thought the place was incredible. Also, I don't like to get too dolled up on vacation. It may be different during 'high season' but a lot of folks were more casual than I had anticipated. I loved that. So it is a first class property but also felt very relaxed.

I had two spa treatments- both fabulous. One deep tissue massage which was somewhat painful but incredibly effective. I also had the two hour Thai yoga massage. The guy who did it REALLY knows what he is doing. I felt terrific afterward, although you really work hard during it. If you have not done this, make sure you understand what you are getting into and what the difference is in terms of technique etc. Everyone at the resort who had a spa treatment raved about it.

Yes, it is expensive. For me, it was worth it. I really loved the people who worked there. The pool butlers were great. Yes there were ipods. Previous reviews ref'd to the pool butlers and the cleaning of sunglasses. This happend to us only twice. However, they are Johnny on the spot with fresh ice, free water and evian. Also, little treats like mini popsicles etc. If you show an interest and respect for the people who work there, they will give it back to you in spades. I actually was teary eyed when we left. This was a wonderful, much needed vacation and we are absolutely going back.

Food was pretty decent for resort food. The property is gorgeous. Feels very private. Have fun! Sorry if this was too long!

Stayed: June 2006
30  Thank lcookster
Reviewed 12 June 2006

My wife and I just got back from our Honeymoon at Las Ventanas. I'll give a few of the highlights from our stay:
1. The Hotel is gorgeous. Every room is gorgeous. It doesn't matter where you stay in this hotel, just get there and enjoy. We had a rooftop terrace suite, oceanfront. Unreal.
2. The staff is above and beyond anything I've ever experienced. They're all very nice and really want to make you're stay enjoyable.
3. The size is perfect. With only 60 or so rooms the place is so intimate. At times we felt like we were the only people at the resort even though they were fully booked.
4. The place is relaxing(super chill). The pools were quiet. Barely any kids. The kids who were there didn't make a peep while in the pool.
5. The Sea Grill and Restaurant were excellent. We liked the Sea Grill better than the Restaurant. When I say they're excellent I mean by Cabo standards. Compared to great restaurants in Philadelphia and New York every place in Cabo is average at best. The views from these places however are unmatched.

The only things you want to keep in mind when staying here are the expenses. My wife and I went in with a "money is no object" attitude and didn't care about the final bill(which was still shocking). However, if that's not the case for your trip you won't have fun here. This isn't a place to go and be frugal. Everything is expensive. I didn't have a drink that was less than $15 while there. Again, we were expecting this and didn't mind at all but thought we should mention it. I really thought it was all worth it. I didn't mind paying the extra cash for the unbeliveable service we received at this hotel.

Also, when looking into booking here keep in mind that there's a 10% tax, 3% federal tax, and a 15% service charge added to everything. When I say everything I mean the room, drinks, the candy bar you take from the mini bar. So if your room is $1,000 a night, add $270 a night for service charge and tax. Again, we knew all of this going in and thought it was worth every penny. We'd go back and do it all over again and will when we get a chance. Also keep in mind that the Palmilla and most other hotels do this as well.

Bring a bunch of 5's with you and carry them around, pass them out generously. (above the 15% service charge(gratuity) The staff appreciates it and it goes a long way.

Check out Palmilla for dinner. C for dinner and Aqua for Lunch at Palmilla. Food was good. Bring your wallet for your dinner at C.

Esperanza one night for dinner(bring a sweater it's breezy).

Mi Casa. Downtown Cabo. Great food. Authentic Mexican. Don't expect much in the way of decor and location. This is a tourist spot with great authentic mexican and awesome margeritas.

Rent the mini Cooper convertible at Las Ventanas. 24 hours $200. Worth every penny. It was so much fun.
Adios!

Stayed: June 2006
18  Thank PHL2
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 2 May 2006

My family just took a vacation to Cabo and stayed here. I don't think I'll ever stay somewhere with better service. The rooms were unbelievable and the whole place was so peaceful and beautiful. They have a great workout room and it's so nice to feel like you have it all to yourself, they even give you cold towels that are scented while you're working out. I felt like I made friends and I was so sad to leave. You won't be dissappointed here.

Stayed: April 2006
#3 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Grand Velas Los Cabos
Grand Velas Los Cabos
#1 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort? Share your experiences!