“Boutique Hotel - Mexican style”
Review of Hotel El Ganzo

Hotel El Ganzo
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in San Jose del Cabo
Reviewed 13 May 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this property. You know you have had a great vacation when you are figuring out when you can return.
I have stayed at some pretty exclusive luxury $$$$ resorts in Cabo & San Jose but you can't top or beat what we got for our $$ here.
The hotel is located at a new marina in Puerto Los Cabos. It is a dirt road leading up to the hotel. I paid extra for transzip to pick us up at the airport. They were waiting for me outside of the terminal has promised with my name nice and bold - no confusion!
Upon checking in, I realized that this is a truly mexican owned and run property. They have only been open for a couple of months and with all new hotels - some kinks to work out but they bent over backwards for us. I paid for a king jacuzzi balcony room but due to low census they upgraded us to a LARGE suite. Our room was posh, modern and romantic. Our suite had two rooms, with a large balcony that faced the marina & ocean. We also had the daily breakfast included - I recommend this. Yes, service is on the slower side but who's in a rush on vacation. Our breakfast was delicious everyday - try to chile releno - I ordered this everyday YUM!
Also, our suite had a coffee machine and I got to enjoy coffee out on my balcony while the man slept in a little - so peaceful.
We always do spa on vacation, so we both had an 80 minute massage at 50% off regular prices - what?! We couldn't believe how affordable the spa services are!
They have 2 pools, one off the spa on the ground level and a roof top pool. The roof top pool is so decadent - we spent some serious time up there - pool service was great.
I think one of the greatest points of this hotel is LOCATION. You are off the beaten path but you can walk to so many activities, bars...
There is a bar down the street, "the drunken sailor" - we went everyday for lunch for coronas and fish tacos.
Another don't miss activity is the bike tour. You can rent bikes from the hotel and there is a designated bike path that you will spend all day sightseeing. There is a bar/restaurant on this tour (The Container Restaurant) that you can stop and have lunch at also - so cute. Don't miss the cactus gardens - millions of plants. There is also a fun beach club across the marina that is part of the hotel has well - awesome!!
I'm so afraid that this place will become so popular that the prices will go up but they deserved a great review for the wonderful time we enjoyed!
Oh yeah, the best thing about this hotel is no kids under 16 allowed! This means a lot if you want quiet & relaxing - which is what we were looking for.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank karavalley
There are newer reviews for Hotel El Ganzo

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My wife & I recently stayed at Hotel El Ganzo for 3 nights and had a great experience. This adults-only property is small with minimalistic trendy styling and enjoys a quiet location on the marina overlooking the Sea of Cortez. The grounds are quaint and very nice. Rooms are clean and very comfortable with amazing views from the balcony. We had delicious satisfying breakfasts everyday on the outdoor deck overlooking the marina. But the unique aspect of this hotel is definitely the (Charlie Sheen owned) rooftop! The rooftop is equipped with cabana and lounge style seating, artistically designed swimming pools along the perimeter of the rooftop, a swim-up bar, a sushi/vodka bar and dramatic views of the marina, the sea and the beach. Service was personable and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The only downside is the location. A bit hard to find and only dirt road access. I would recommend it highly for romantic occasions and/or if you're wanting to spend some quiet time near San Jose del Cabo.

Room Tip: Most rooms have this but make sure you get a balcony overlooking the marina and the Sea of Cortez.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

first off, we were woken up each morning at 8am by construction noise, staff meeting noise, or gardener noise. also, being on a dock, there is loud groaning noise coming from the boats all night.
aside from catching up on any sleep, when I travel the first and most important amenity is a swimming pool. whether business or pleasure, I try to swim every day when I am away from home and my regular exercise routine. I would rather give up any other amenity, but not the pool.
on my first vacation in four years I was very much looking forward to spending some time in the sun and so we chose Mexico for a four day romantic holiday. we chose the el ganzo because of it's quiet location away from the hustle bustle of cabo San Lucas, it's private beach, and it's beautiful pools. in addition to two outdoor swimming pools, the hotel has two jacuzzi and a sauna.
well, on the first day there we raced up to the rooftop pool to find it was freezing cold. checked the downstairs pool, and it was also ice cold. we looked in the spa, but were told the hot tub and sauna down there were not available. so, we went back up to the rooftop and sat in a lukewarm jacuzzi. the next day we asked the front desk about the temperature of the pools and were told that because it had been overcast the past few days the solar heating was not functioning.
well, I have solar heating at my house as well, and I have a back-up heater for just this reason. why a multi million dollar resort wouldn't have a backup system is mind boggling. the pools and jacuzzi's were frigid for our entire stay, and even though there were many wonderful things about the hotel and the surrounding area, I felt like the vacation was a bust, a ripoff, and I will never go back to that hotel.
Am however giving a three star review because of the lovely staff, views, and design of the decor.

Room Tip: movie night is fun. a great activity for a hotel in a secluded area.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank belfastvi
Ana M, General Manager at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2013

Hola Belfastvi,

I want to thank you for sharing your experiences of our property and delighted with your praise of our staff at El Ganzo!

Nevertheless, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with some aspects of our property and its services namely our pools. I truly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. The accountable Department Heads have been personally involved in implementing root cause solutions.

Belfastvi, I hope that the rest of your stay was enjoyable and you found our staff to be helpful and courteous, and let me express yet again our apology for the shortcomings you encountered.

When your travels bring you back to our beautiful city, I hope that you will give us an opportunity to be of service to you again at su casa in Los Cabos.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Enrique Turcott

Reviewed 31 March 2013

This hotel has an amazing rooftop deck with pool and a great view. The rooms are nice, not too spacious but comfortable. I stayed at a balcony ocean view room which is pretty much the same as a room without a balcony in terms of space and the balcony is kind of small. There was a minibar with complimentary non-alcoholic beverages. The property is in front of a small marina. It has a private beach a short boat ride away. I only had breakfast at the hotel´s restaurant and the food was very good but the waiter´s service was not good at all, too slow, had to ask more than once for things like beverages. The rest of the hotel staff was ok. If you stay here I recommend you to have lunch or dinner at a nearby little restaurant called el marinero borracho (drunken sailor), food is delicious. It´s on the road to the hotel (walking distance).

Room Tip: Higher floor has better view. Hallways are long, ask for a room close to the first elevator if poss...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 March 2013

I am staying at El Ganzo right now. The building is nice and clean and the rooms are nice. Its a great place for couples but not for just people sharing a room. The bathtub is in the center of the room and there is no privacy. The food and alcohol are way overpriced. I paid $5 for 1 beer. The restaurants are mediocre and I waited 20 minutes this morning for someone to wait on me only to tell me that lunch doesn't begin until 12:30. Who the heck eats breakfast at noon? The front desk/ reception people are friendly but not the wait staff. The hotel is out in the middle of nowhere with few other choices for food. Only El Marinero Borracho is decent. Why stay here when you can go elsewhere in San Jose or Cabo San Lucas and get into a nice all inclusive RESORT for $100 less per night? I definitely won't be returning.

• Stayed: March 2013
7  Thank Khillfly
El_Ganzo_GM, Gerente at Hotel El Ganzo, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Hola Khillfly,

First of all let me offer you an apology for the shortcomings that you encountered during your stay.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback, which was very useful in implementing root cause solutions.

I do hope that in the not to far future you will give us the opportunity to serve you again at our best.

Sincerely

Enrique Turcott

Reviewed 20 March 2013

We spent five glorious days in late February at El Ganzo - great spot! Nice new construction on a new marina. The staff is great and wonderful vibe. Beats the heck out of the craziness at Cabo and just a few minutes drive into the lovely town of San Jose del Cabo. Loved the rooftop deck and not a sushi fan, but they make some awesome, wonderful treats up there (guac's good too). Some nice bird watching from the adjoining estuary and dolphins in the marina area. Other than the espresso machine breaking down the last morning, hard to come up with much bad to say.

Room Tip: I think they all face the marina. The hot tubs did not appear to be working yet on the deluxe rooms...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank denverellend
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Even though open only a short time and still in "shakedown mode", El Ganzo has created an atmosphere that doesn't exist anywhere else. What makes it unique is not only the design and decor (described as Bohemian Modern), but that it appeals to the young hip set as well as the chic older crowd. Perfect mix, in my book! I love the melding of textures and the creativity that has gone into every detail. The staff is fantastic and very happy to be there serving your every need.
The owners have struck a successful chord in every way, bringing musicians in from all over to perform and have a good time, and providing a new state of the art recording studio if inspiration hits.....along with having an "artist in residence" program, inviting international artists to paint there. On my visit, renowned Spanish artist, Manel Pujol (who worked with Salvador Dali for 10 years), was applying his contemporary touches on one of their beautiful rooms. While LA musician Joshua Ridan was performing on the outdoor terrace overlooking the marina, Manel was putting the finishing touches on a large canvas, to the music. What an fun event!
The rooms are very comfortable with great views, the bar scene is one of the best, there's a sushi bar on the upper pool level, and the Sunday brunch offered a fantastic array of local dishes. Next time I will take advantage of the wonderful gym, and am looking forward to the spa opening soon. To top it all off, the hotel is pet friendly, too! This is the happening place to stay!

Room Tip: Weekends are late nights with music, so if you're one to turn in early, ask for a room farther a...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank MilkmaidTS
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Jose del Cabo
Cabo Azul Resort
Cabo Azul Resort
#7 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Resort & Spa
JW Marriott Los Cabos Beach Reso...
#8 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
Esperanza - An Auberge Resort
#2 of 70 in Cabo San Lucas
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Resort
Hilton Los Cabos Beach & Golf Re...
#5 of 43 in San Jose del Cabo

Been to Hotel El Ganzo? Share your experiences!